Sufjan Stevens

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

john1977

Sufjan Stevens

Postby john1977 » Wed Dec 06, 2006 3:53 am

Hey gang...

I thought I would check in to see if there were any new opinions on the music of Sufjan Stevens...The last time i brought him up on the board there was some very interesting conversation...I personally think that Sufjan is one of the most brilliant, challenging and important songwriters of our time. Of course, his brand of music is so incredibly unique that it seems to polarize most people...you either love it or you don't. Last time I checked in, those of you who had heard him didn't seem as excited about his work as I was...since that time, the hype surrounding him has grown as has his record sales.

His latest project is an amazing collection of Christmas songs...and I highly recommend it for those of you who are looking for something a little different sounding this holiday season...you can actually stream the entire collection at:

http://www.asthmatickitty.com/suf_xmas/suf_xmas.php

Anyway, sorry if my enthusiasm for Sufjan is a bit annoying...

Hope to see some of you in Kennebunk this weekend!

Happy Holidays!

John

mm

Postby mm » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:09 am

I am a huge fan of Sufjan's music. I have many of his cds.I would really love to see him perform live!! His music brings out a knee-buckling emotion in me. I have to be ready for that or I can't listen. I once arrived at work in tears for all it brought up based on one song alone and some recent losses I'd had. He is brilliant as a writer and performer and quite prolific, though it's hard to "get it" the first couple run throughs. Then it hits.
Thanks for revisiting the topic.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Dec 06, 2006 9:54 am

Hey John, Holiday Greetings your way as well.

Wish I could add something here, but beyond saying that I have seen
his name around......am aware he is making waves....and have wanted
to tune in for a few years now.....I can only say...someday I will.

Thanks for bringing Sufjan - a cool name btw - back around. I'll look
forward to reading more about him here and elsewhere.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

check your local library for music

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Dec 06, 2006 6:29 pm

Just want to say that often your local library system might have a copy
or two of an artist's CD on their shelves...just waitin to be checked out.
If the library system has an online catalog feature, you can search for
an artist from home and see availability: On shelf...date due back, etc.

Just checked on Sufjan Stevens and found that his CD ILLINOISE is in
their system..checked out currently...due back 12/26. I can even place a hold on it and be notified when it's in.

I'm going on and on here.....just to say...this may be an affordable way
to dip your foot in new musical waters. I admit I don't really use the library
much for musical exploration......but it's quite the resource...and I might start here with Sufjan Stevens.

Thanks for the nudge John. :wink:
paddy

mm

Postby mm » Wed Dec 06, 2006 8:17 pm

Paddy
That's a great CD, Illinoise. Song number 10 is impossibly beautiful in its imagery and the one I referred to in my prior post. Let me know what you think when you've had a chance to give the cd a couple listens.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Dec 06, 2006 10:07 pm

mm......thanks for the heads up on Illinoise..(track 10). I'll give Sufjan the time he obviously deserves. Sometimes it takes me a few run throughs of a CD to fully appreciate it...and that can happen even with NEW CDs by artists I know well...and like... going in.

I'll report back in the New Year when I'll have it here to play. :)
paddy

john1977

Postby john1977 » Thu Dec 07, 2006 1:45 am

yes...now we're talking...

track 10, or "casimir pulaski day" is truly one of those lump in your throat songs that goes straight for the gut. i'm glad you brought it up mm...that's such an incredible album. another of my favorites is "the predatory wasp of the palisades..."

there's so much incredible writing and composition on that album...and the emotion is really intense. i hope you enjoy this find paddy...it may take you a few listens to appreciate mr. stevens...he can be challenging at times...or just sound foreign to some listeners. i think that it's worth the work though. the last time we talked about sufjan here on the board, i remember karen saying that onr of sufjan's songs from the illinoise album entitled "john wayne gacy jr." made her feel sick. yes, the song is about a serial killer but it's got one of the most incredible melodies i've heard and combined with cryptic lyrics, the song truly does make one feel quite haunted by the central figure of the song...and again, it hits you straight in the gut. that's the kind of writer sufjan is...

i'm glad this conversation is rolling along...paddy, will you be in kennebunk this weekend?

hope all is well...

john

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Dec 07, 2006 10:11 am

John.....if I could be two places at one time.....I'd be in Kennebunk this
weekend for sure...alas.....I think the next show I'll be able to make will
likely be the Tin Angel shows: January 20th, 2007....7 and 10p. :D

I had an interesting fortune cookie fortune a few weeks ago....and had to have my son read it to me since I was sans my reading glasses.

He read out loud: You will embark on an interesting musical journey soon.

To be honest...I was floored by those words. Wondering to myself where it might lead me. All kinds of options there.......

Bill Deasy had a recent House Concert in LA.....those shows and setlists always have me thinking I GOTTA MAKE THE NEXT ONE......Is this the journey, I wondered?......well, I had to read all about it.

So I wait and wonder...where those words will lead me.

Enjoy the show.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Feb 04, 2007 2:57 pm

John1977...not there yet...but I know someone who is...... :wink:

SoCalGal has blogged her love for SS on blogspot.com. It's this kind of thing that makes me realise the power of the world wide web. No tellin how many folks check this young woman's site out and from there have the impetus to seek out Sufjan. If one of us were so inclined :wink: to talk to her about Sufjan, then Ellis Paul.....well, it could grow from there.

here's what she said about Sufjan:

My other love, is Sufjan Stevens. And I have it real bad. It’s been a slowly building romance, which seems to deepen instead of fade. Oh! Michelle introduced me and Burton fanned the flame—sweet burning flame of desire! Although I think I prefer Come on Feel the Illinois and Greetings from Michigan musically, I have found the quieter (hard to imagine) Seven Swans, well… lovely. The subject matter is close to home for me and his poetry and grasp of the matter is nothing short of refreshment for a soul thirsting in the desert for the water they are sure exists, somewhere. I (heart) Sufjan Stevens.
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”