Lori McKenna

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:27 am

Jela,

Yes, thanks! I see why you're in swoon-mode! Mark doesn't look too sleep-deprived for being a new dad. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:16 am

Love the 2 songs performed by Lori and her band, so ably led by the once elusive (on Tv spots with Lori, anyway) Mark Erelli. I really enjoyed seeing them perform 2 of the new songs from Unglamorous LIVE in the Fox studio.

Thanks for sharing the link with us today, Jela. It amazes me how technology has shrunk the once vast distances... 8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:54 am

There are links to a few different webisodes, concerts, interviews etc. right from Lori's website.. The AT&T Blue Room I think are the best quality (though Mark is missing from these)...

Does anyone know how to find out how the CD is selling, the critics reviews are all great, but that doesn't always translate to sales!!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:11 pm

I have always wondered about how album sales are counted and if anyone knows how it works do please chime in. My take on it has always been that it's not so much how many CDs are "sold" to individuals - more the number of CDs sold to big time vendors like Target and WalMart and Big Name record stores. Toss in the numbers sold to online vendors. Seems to me these places are the original point of sale between artist/label and consumer. I think it is THAT NUMBER that accounts for records sales versus the one at a time purchase by fans. I'm not sure really..and will enjoy seeing the record sales climb for this incredible new album. :D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:05 pm

Patti wrote:Below is from Lori's website!!

Lori McKenna will make her Grand Ole Opry debut on Friday, September 28th and will appear again on Saturday, September 29th.
Lori’s appearance on Saturday will air live on GAC’s “Opry Live!”. Keep checking back for show times.
Go to www.Opry.com to purchase tickets to the Grand Ole Opry.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:53 pm

Set my TIVO to autorecord: Lori McKenna...and knew from reading Patti's post about Lori on the Grand Ol'Opry that I had something to look forward to over the weekend. Last night I checked.....there it was!!!

It was really a treat to see her grace the stage of The Grand Ol' Opry and I'm here today to tell you she did it proud. Not only did Lori provide the opening voice over intro to the show.....she introduced the first musical act on the show...Josh Turner....before long it was Lori's turn to sing, and she sounded absolutely fantastic, as did the other two fellows up onstage with her. One was her guitar player, sorry I can't think of his name, right now. And of course, the multi talented singer songwriter in his own right, and leader of Lori McKenna's band, yes, you know him, you love him, on AMAZING background vocals and mandolin, Mark Erelli.

They sang 2 songs:

Unglamorous
Drinkin Problem

Lori was nearly in tears as she brought the message home in the second song. It was great to hear the country in her voice on this one.... so eloquently delivered inside the confines of Country Music's most hallowed of halls.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:44 am

Paddy, Patti,

Do you know if Lori's Grand Ole Opry performance is archived online anywhere? I checked Lori's website but came up empty....

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Oct 02, 2007 11:04 am

Karen,

Good question....not sure. I did go out to the Grand Ol' Opry website and was amazed by all the stuff out there. It's akin to visiting Disneyland's website. Maybe they archive some performances, not at all sure, right now. Will keep it in mind and try to help locate any clips of Lori's performance.

My best guess would be a re-airing of the show on the GAC channel or a Youtube type thing on Lori's myspace or website, eventually. Perhaps even a fan of Lori McKenna taking the initiative to post it on youtube.

Fingers crossed here..... :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:40 am

Well...timing, it can be said, is everything. Checking the website of wxpn in Philly this morning to find out I just missed Lori on World Cafe Live with host David Dye. I'm certain his shows are archived on wxpn's site and can also be found on npr.org...here's what I found this morning:

Monday October 1, 2007 - Lori McKenna
The World Café’s David Dye is visited by singer-songwriter Lori McKenna. On her major label debut, Unglamorous, McKenna moves from the lo-fi folk of her previous releases to a more contemporary country sound with a full backing band. Her story is an inspiring one; she’s gone from recording songs in her kitchen while her kids were at school to sharing the stage with Tim McGraw and Faith Hill. The heartfelt performance and emotive stories from this songwriter are not to be missed.
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:15 pm

I've been away on vacation so I didn't catch any of this but will try to find it on youtube or something. Lori's site seems slow to add stuff :(
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Oct 09, 2007 6:33 pm

Tivo Alert ............ :wink:

Lori McKenna was on tv last night and Tivo captured it for me.

Awesome look at Lori in an acoustic setting, sidemen appeared to be her studio players versus her Boston Band. Full versions of Stealing Kisses, Witness to Your Life, Your Next Lover, Unglamorous, Leaving This Life...It's the best I've ever heard her sing.

A few words of insight to the songs, but mostly just the songs. It's on again twice in the next few days. It's called "Up Close" on CMTP cable channel on Comcast -- CMTP stands for Country Music Television Pure Country.

10/10 -- 330pm
10/12 -- 100pm
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Dec 06, 2007 3:59 am

Check out this video of Lori performing an unreleased song 'How romantic is that?' accompanied by Mark Erelli. It's a beautiful song and sounds as if its very autobiographical..........enjoy!

Lori + Mark

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Dec 06, 2007 10:16 am

Wow, Jela. Thanks for the heads-up on this. What a great song. And Mark is looking and sounding pretty darn good. ;)

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Dec 06, 2007 6:53 pm

Thanks for the link on that Jela. I read about it in a blog on Lori's site but could never find it.... speaking of Lori :) I will be seeing her perform in a few weeks, BUT today... as I was driving down good old Rte 1 a Toyota Minivan passes me and I said to my Mom, that looked like Lori Mckenna!! So I sped up, just a little to see her again and I am positive it was her:)... Well, you know after that I had to take Dragonfly Races out and put in a Lori CD :)

PS Mark will be the first show of the New Year at Stone Soup!!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Dec 07, 2007 11:11 am

Thanks Jela for the link to the video of Mark and Lori perfroming the new song. Lori has a way of capturing the everyday mundane, dosesn't she?

Patti, that's really cool about seeing Lori around town.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 25, 2008 12:11 pm

Here are some details for Lori and Mark's show tonight in New Hope, Pa.

Tickets are $30 in advance: $35 at the door, if available. VIP tickets are $75 in advance, which includes a pre-concert gala and priority seating. Tickets will be sold at the door for cash or check. Ticket requests received after the 21st will be available at the door via Will Call.

Friday, January 25, 8:00 p.m.

8:00 PM Karen Gross, Local singer-songwriter, cabaret performer, vocalist and pianist - Karen Gross enchants audiences with her warmth, humor, captivating stage presence and gorgeous, expressive voice.

8:25 PM Mark Erelli, Lori's McKenna's guitar player

9:00 PM Lori McKenna, Lori McKenna is an acclaimed singer-songwriter who was thrust into the limelight last year when superstar Faith Hill included three of McKenna’s songs on her Number One album Fireflies, including Hill’s poignant single “Stealing Kisses.” Hill (herself a wife and mother of three) heard in McKenna’s work what a steadily growing audience has been hearing since her 1998 debut, Paper Wings & Halo: an intimate understanding and honest expression of the realities of domestic life.

New Hope-Solebury High School
Stephen J. Buck Memorial Theate|
180 West Bridge Street, New Hope, PA

We're in.... :D
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:37 pm

Why no commentary in the piece about the wonderful Mr Erelli????

Paddy, have a great time and please post a report about his set. It's almost a year since we went to Paris to see him and I just don't know when the next opportunity to see him live in concert will present itself. I was hoping that he might come back to the UK but I see from his tour schedule that he's busy playing in Lori's band.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:49 pm

Jela, not surprising really. Tonight's show is part of a winterfest held by the twin cities of New Hope, Pa and Lambertsville, NJ. as they lie on opposite banks of the Delaware river -- not far from General George Washington's famous river crossing -- portrayed in a famous painting titled, of course, "Washington Crossing the Delaware" -- he stands up in the boat.... :shock:

The info comes from the venue's website -- it's likely they were familiar with the opener because she's local -- and Lori because she's the headliner with the wonderful back story.

But I agree...they could have done their homework here and had more to say about Mark Erelli other than that he is Lori's guitar player.

My guess is that Mark's time on stage solo will be short...... :cry:

I'll be sure to let you know how it goes...... :)
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:10 pm, edited 4 times in total.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:50 pm

Jela,

I did notice that Jim Boggia is coming to London next month. Do you and Richard know him? I love him. You should go. :)

(I need to start a thread for Mr. Boggia......)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jan 25, 2008 2:52 pm

No Karen we haven't heard of him - must investigate further.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:03 pm

I've only seen Jim Boggia onstage for two songs, when he joined other artist/friends during their performance at local Philly clubs. I know a little about his music career, but not much about his music. I can say he seems to be a really nice guy, a real favorite around these parts, and oh so musical!!! I read Lennon/McCartney and Neil Young were early influences.

He and a few friends recorded under the band name "4 way street" and it's my understanding that I missed, by a few years, quite the melding of talents... :cry:

Jim Boggia plays around Philly every so often and i'm bound to get out to see him one of these shows......willl report in when I do.

Til then...with Karen's recommendation and what i've read about him -- definitely worth checking out if he comes your way.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:36 am

paddyinthepub wrote:Jela, all I can say after tonight's show in New Hope, Pa. is that you and Richard need to find a way to get back here and soon to catch Mark Erelli. He was beyond amazing and had the crowd abuzz at the break. He performed a short 4 song solo acoustic set -- short on the number of songs played maybe but a more powerful short set of tunes you are not likely to see too many places. I talked with a few folks at intermission and they were going on and on about him. Some made references to Bob Dylan. He is quite the harmonica player, isn't he? WoW!!!

Mark's powerful opening set:

Drive All Night (to be with the one that I love)
Volunteers -- wow
The Only Way
Crying -- cover (Roy Orbison)

We had a chance to move closer to the stage before Lori came on, and one couple we spoke to originally thought they were going to be seeing Lorenna McKennit at this show, only to read differently in the program. I assured them they were in for a treat, that Lori was really good.

Lori and her crack 5 piece band started off with 7 songs from her new record, which of course, suited me just fine. She threw in a couple of more popular (among her fans) songs from earlier albums and a new one that I've been reading about and can attest it's a song you need to hear. She gave Mark Erelli another chance to shine when she put him and one his earlier songs in the spotlight, this time taking Kelly Willis' background vocal spot. She slipped in a lovely lilting version of "Dream a Little Dream" and relayed afterward they weren't sure who wrote it but Lori said it's just for sure that she didn't write it. The title track to the new record wound down the main set and was followed by one encore, a cover of The Band's "Makes no Difference." Lori brought out one more player for this one -- a guy Lori said she has known for years and every single time she has played the Philly area it was because of him. For locals familiar to the Philly music scene, it was none other than Jesse Lundy. It was a fine way to end a wonderful night of music.

We heard:

I Know You
Drinking Problem
Written Permission
I'm Not Crazy
Your Next Lover
Leaving This Life
Witness To Your Life
Stealing Kisses
Make Every Word Hurt
Compass and Companion -- Mark Erelli
Dream a little dream -- cover
Pour
Better Person
Unglamorous

Encore:

Makes No Difference -- The Band

Highlight of the night for me.......

Peeked into the empty auditorium an hour before showtime and much to my surprise playing over the sound system was none other than Ellis Paul's "She Loves a Girl" -- 8)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jan 26, 2008 6:37 am

Richard + Jela wrote:Thanks Paddy - he's a star isn't he? So glad that he went down so well, mind you, in my mind, there's isn't any doubt about his talent.

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jan 26, 2008 12:23 pm

I KNEW you would be blown away by Mark and Lori and the Band.. I have had to opportunity to see all of them in all sorts of settings and various groupings in the last year and they ALL get better each time I see them.

I mentioned Lori Mckenna to my brother in South Carolina recently, and he said, Lorenna Mckennit, I said no , Lori McKenna... I bet that happens a lot :) I think Lorenna is local to SC... I guess it is time to google her!!

Paddy, I am def. envious.. I had given serious thought to seeing Lori and Mark at a FREE show at Mohegan Sun Casino is Conneticut tonight, but a wine party at my girlfriends house beat out... I'll catch them next time!!

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jan 26, 2008 1:32 pm

Well a quick look at Lorenna Mckennett and I find she is from Canada and has spent much of her musical career in Europe. Hmmm. surprises me because my brother lives "off" the beaten path in SC... not sure how he would have heard of her, as he's not a big follower of music in general...

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:34 am

Last night's radio show Bob Harris on BBC Radio 2 featured 'Fireflies' by Lori McKenna - it was lovely to hear it played and the best bit........he mentioned that backing vocals were by Ellis Paul!!!

I've e-mailed and asked if he'd play one of Ellis' songs, keeping my fingers crossed for next week's show!!!

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:03 pm

Jela

I'd been a minor fan of Lori's when Fireflies was released. To say, I had her first two records but they rec'd a few spins then got lost in the stacks of other stuff I was listening to, Ellis Paul, included. I was aware that Lori had a new record coming out, in fact, had the release date scribbled down somewhere. It happened to fall on the calendar at the same time we had a California vacation planned. No problem I said, they sell records in California. And so, on the day Pieces of Me was released, I found the nearest record store and lucky for us, it was there. Not a given mind you, as I'd often find only Loreena McKennitt in the McK section of record stores and every time I asked a store clerk for Lori McKenna they would always answer with oh sure we have Loreena McKennitt.

Anyway, they had Lori's new cd and we spent the next several days traveling around California and listening to Lori's excellent new release. The hands down family favorite from the record??? Well....our son was 2 and a half at the time...and we could not get enough of the song Fireflies.

He learned every word of the song and used to wail on the chorus from his car seat in the back. Of course my wife and I could not be more pleased...that our son was being exposed to two of the best of the best, and singing along at the top of his lungs.

You see, Ellis Paul was singing the wonderful background vocals. :D

Needless to say, I've been a big fan of Lori's ever since...... :wink:
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:00 pm

Going to see Lori for the first time this Sunday. Can't wait!!

And can I just say that I am so happy to have found this place, you Ellis fans have excellent taste in music!!

Annie :)

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:05 pm

Annie...so happy to have new faces here on the ol' forum. :D

Glad you're liking it....tell your friends!!! :wink:

Your very first Lori McKenna show? Lucky you. I remember you saying something about the Mucky Duck on another thread. I'd say Eddie's Attic and The Mucky Duck are very much alike. Great folks, food, and music.

Here's a look at Lori's show at Eddie's:

SUNDAY, FEBRUARY 24th - EARLY SHOW
LORI McKENNA
Show time 6:30 p.m. / Doors: 5:30 p.m.
Individual advanced tickets: $17 / At the door: $20 / Tables: $85

We're honored to welcome critically acclaimed folk songwriter and mother of 5, LORI McKENNA, to the Attic. She lives outside of Boston, has just finished a tour with Faith Hill & Tim McGraw, and she has a new CD (her 5th) entitled "Unglamorous." Faith Hill has recorded 4 of Lori's songs, including "Stealing Kisses." Mandy Moore has covered several of her songs as well. Tim McGraw co-produced Lori's most recent CD along with Byron Gallimore (Sugarland), and it has already been named "Album of the Year" by the Boston Music Awards.

WOW...that's an early start time...hope you'll take notes. :wink:
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Feb 19, 2008 5:35 pm

And 'you know who' is playing sideman............hope he either opens for her and/or gets to sing one of his songs during her set.

Mark Erelli - Yee Haw!

Jela

annieb

Postby annieb » Fri Feb 22, 2008 2:08 pm

Yeah, Paddy - that is an early start time. There are actually two separate shows at the Attic that night. There is a Willy Porter show later. I don't know him, but I will probably hang around for at least a bit of his show.

And Jela, I am so hoping to hear some Mark Erelli stuff too!!

I'll be back with a review on monday.

Ya'll have a great weekend!!

Annie

annieb

Postby annieb » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:06 pm

Well aside from a few soundboard issues, it was a really great show last night!! Lori McKenna is just adorable!!

She played with Mark Erelli as well as another guy I don't know....Russell something, I couldn't catch the last name.

I don't have a set list other than the fact that she played, I think, the whole 'Unglamorous' cd as well as a few other songs, one of them was brand new. It was the last stop on their tour, so they were all in a really good, festive mood. Mark played one song, again not sure of the name of it...Volunteer? I have been assured that he will be back, hopefully soon, to do his own thing....Love that mandolin!!

Great show, awesome music, all in all not a bad way to spend a Sunday night.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:25 pm

Annie - thanks. It must have been wonderful to hear 'Unglamorous' with just the 3 of them playing the songs - I haven't seen Lori McKenna live but I think that she'd knock spots off the 'overproduced' CD versions.

That Mark Erelli song would have been 'Volunteer' - I first heard it a year ago in Paris and I think its going to be on his new CD which is due in the next month or two.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:05 pm

Annie, thanks for the recap. :)

I've seen Lori twice now, both shows featuring her crack 5 piece band led by the always amazing Mark Erelli. While I really enjoy the full out sound that captures the driving country rockers from Unglamorus so well, I do long for the day I can sit in a smaller room and listen to some of the songs on a more intimate level. Lucky you!!! :wink:

On a side note, I've seen Mark Erelli perform solo acoustic on a few occasions over the years and can easily say that Mark is as fantastic on his own as he is with Lori McKenna. An outstanding singer songwriter of the highest caliber and a real presence in concert. Glad you got to sample how he sounds on his own. Volunteers is such a moving tribute to our soldiers. Also, there's a link to a youtube of Mark doing the song for DON WAS on his cool little internet upstart, oh what's it called?

Oh yea, My Damn Channel....too funny. :lol:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 15, 2008 10:19 am

King of Prussia has a great outdoor summer music series........

from Lori McKenna's tour page

27 Jul 2008 Upper Merion Parks & Recreation Concerts Under the Stars
paddy

paddyinthepub

Re: Lori McKenna

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:00 am

For those in the Philadelphia area Lori's concert at the Under the Stars concert series at King of Prussia, Pa. is tonight. Here's a link to the series website. Checked yesterday to see if Mark Erelli would be here to lead Lori's band and found out he is elsewhere playing today. So it's the Lori McKenna Trio tonight and I can hardly wait to see and hear Lori again. This will be my 3rd time and I'm pretty sure it'll be the charm! :wink:

http://www.umconcerts.org/
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:14 am

When it rains it pours.... :D

This one was in doubt all day as thunderstorms lingered here. I thought for sure they would call this one on a count of rain. I delayed leaving for the concert until after dinner and was almost certain I'd arrive to see no folks and no show. Surprise! This show was on and was it ever a good one! Course I was the last one there and Lori's concert was winding down, but no matter. They say 99% of life is showing up and I've learned that it applies even if you show up late. :oops:

I arrived to hear The Lori McKenna trio + 1 halfway through Pour and thought to myself well that's just about right! It really had come down here all day. She followed with Monday Afternoon which has a few more good lines about rain. Better late than never hit home for me when next she sang Fireflies. It's one of my favorite Lori McKenna tunes of all time and the only thing missing from tonight's performance of the song, besides Mark Erelli (away playing the Calgary Folk Festival) was Ellis Paul singing the magical background vocals. Next up was Make Every Word Hurt, a new yet to be recorded song and one I've heard before and absolutely love. The title track to Lori's latest CD, Unglamorous, wound down the show with one encore, The Band's It Makes No Difference featuring Lori sans acoustic guitar and her lead guitar player (insert his name here) soaring on a smoking hot solo that had Lori and all in attendance going wild over. The band is holding down the fort well in Mark Erelli's absence I will give them that. Wow! 8)

Got a chance to talk with Lori after the show and before it was my turn heard all manners of fans who had been fans for a long time, had all her music and drove a great distance to see her tonight. She was greatly appreciative. Then one woman stepped up and said Oh Lori we are such Big Fans.....You Are Awesome. When Lori asked her who she sign the CD to...the woman said jokingly with her husband and friends at her side and in earshot....."oh, don't put our name on it...in case we divorce later...could get messy! :lol: Her husband was a sport about i and when she asked him "honey, we're not divorcing are we?" he smiled and shook his head as if to say "no honey...we're in it for the long haul" One fellow in their entourage offered "and I married into this family!!" adding that they were crazy before being reminded he was too! He had to agree!!! :lol: The kicker was when someone at merch, Lori's road manager maybe, suggested that they buy 2 CDS....that way! :P

:lol:

My chat with Lori included asking if her husband ever got the boat she'd promised him (not yet!) after Faith Hill stepped up and recorded 3 of Lori's songs that led to the major record label. I asked her about the new song Make Every Word Hurt and asked if she would be allowed to record it first..... :wink: let's just say Lori said it should appear on her next album whether she's the first to cut it or not and that's all I'm allowed to say about that right now! :wink:

Lori asked if I knew Mark Erelli's music and I assured her I did. She asked if i had his new one, Delivered, and when I said I didnt since it's yet to be released she said she would give me a copy of it if she had one in the truck. Did I come this close to having Mark Erelli's new cd in hand and not only that but hand delivered from Lori McKenna? Yes I did! Somebody pinch me! :D ) When Lori said a lot of folks think Mark Erelli sounds like Ellis Paul I told her I certainly thought so once upon a time and even told Mark about it the first time I saw him live. It was at a Seattle Washington show, cool little boat house on Lake Union. I said to him Mark, ya know, ya sound a little like Ellis Paul. Then asked if Ellis was singing on his first record. Nope. It's all Mark. He chalked it up to the Maine connection or maybe they have similar schnozzes that resulted in a certain similarity to their sound? We did have a good laugh about it!

We ended our chat talking about Ellis Paul. I mentioned to her that Ellis led me to her music and that my then 2 year old son used to sing along with Lori and Ellis on the chorus of Fireflies. She asled how Ellis was doing and I told her he was doing great, working on a new CD. She said his last record was kind of a rock record (referring to American Jukebox Fables I'm sure) and I said no, no, his latest record is a children's record. She was completely unaware! :shock: I told her it was really good and that the coolest part was that the songs were not only for kids but for their parents as well. Classic Ellis Paul style songs. She said she would go to itunes and download it tomorrow and I said oh, well, you really should get the CD since Ellis did all the artwork for the project. Her response cracked me up enough to want to share here: He did the artwork, too? When does he sleep? :P

I picked up a few CDs and had Lori sign them for a friend....as well as a pink tee shirt emblazoned with Lori Mckenna across the front (this might be what you would call a baby doll tee shirt) and I can assure that this was also for a friend. :shock:

Serioulsly! :D

I asked for and rec'd Lori's setlist for the night. She hesitated for a second then got the okay from her bandmate ( Insert lead guitar player's name here again and I hope he found the beverage of his choice tonight in a town where beer can be found but you have to know where to look! :P ) She said it was from a prior show and that the setlist tonight was pretty much the same. I'll assume so and offer up what I now have my hands on:

The Lori McKenna Band Setlist
Falcon Ridge Folk Festival
July 24th, 2008

I Know You|Drinkin Problem|Written Permission|I'm Not Crazy|Your Next Lover|SOLO|
Dream A Little Dream Of Me| Stealing Kisses| Witness To Your Life| Make Every Word Hurt
Pour| Monday Afternoon| Fireflies|Unglamorous| It Makes No Difference (The Band)

Lori intro'd the final encore saying she has to pause when she says it's a song by The Band, lest audiences will think she's saying it's a song by the band. Her band! One of them chimed in they wished! And I'll close this by saying I wished...I'd gotten there a little earlier than I did tonight.

When it's love, it will rain sometimes
When it's love, it will pour
pour
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:57 am

Paddy - thanks for the report - loved reading it. Although you missed most of the concert you seem to have made up for that with the 'after the show' chat. Good on you!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:09 am

Paddy,

Terrific report! Thanks! :)

Hard to Believe Miss McKenna didn't know about Dragonfly Races :shock: so thanks for bringing her up to speed. :) Yes, Mark Erelli would have been the icing on the cake. And Jela would have enjoyed your report even more. ;)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:58 am

Yes that's very true :P :P :P

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jul 28, 2008 10:07 am

I was truly floored Lori was unaware of Dragonfly Races! :shock: She did ask about his children and i was able to mention that he now has two daughters. Guess I just figured all these folks kept up with each other, or at the very least that Lori read the forum every once in a great while. :roll: :lol:

But with 5 kids of her own and a busy schedule on and off the stage it's understandable. She told one fan last night after the show that her 5 kids are spaced in age pretty well. That she planned it that way. Every time one of her kids would start first grade she would tell herself "okay, it's time to get a job at Dunkin Donuts OR have another child...it was an easy choice."

In talking about Mark Erelli's new record she said it was his best one yet.....high praise indeed, having heard all Mark Erelli's records myself! Wow! I can't wait to hear it! 8)
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:01 pm

Great review Paddy!!

What an awesome show that was!!

I can't believe how sweet she is.....offering up a Mark Erelli cd if she had one in the truck! :D What a doll, huh?

I really admire your ability to chat with your musical hero's....I've always had a hard time doing that. :cry:

Glad you had fun!! :)

Annie

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Jul 28, 2008 1:14 pm

Oh Annie - I do know what you mean.

There are a couple that I wouldn't have been brave enough to approach except that in both instances I came across them quite unexpectedly and just 'reacted' without even thinking. In both cases they were very gracious. I felt like a gawky teenager!

I do think that the 'folk' world attracts musicians and fans alike who are just the nicest, usually gentlest, people around so next time you come across a musical hero - promise me you'll go talk to them.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jul 29, 2008 11:25 am

Thanks Annie.....and I agree.....give it a shot, remembering, it all goes by! :wink:

I've been the tongue tied fan flat unable to chat up heroes myself.....still some folks I can't muster the cool remove to talk to. My best friend often tells the story about the time I brought him over to say hi to Shawn Colvin at the Red Lion in Houston. All he could muster was...ahh..ahh...ahh. :lol:

I've had my fair share of misfires I assure you. Gorka comes to mind. Deasy. Paul.....yes, Paul! :shock:

Jela, you are quite right about folks in this genre, on both sides of the equation, artists and fans. I dont think it really hit me until I read the Bel Canto quote on Karen's signature. There's an art to embracing this art form from the fan side of things. Just seems these artists deserves so much more than applause. I try to imagine what it's like to travel town to town. Luckily, it comes naturally for me to want to say thanks on a more personal level. Well, mot of the time, anyway! :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:32 pm

Lori McKenna at home with the kids circa Pieces of Me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WteqRdaM-i8
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:31 pm

Lori McKenna's got a new song out there that once eluded me but that all changed last summer when I saw her with her band playing at Concerts Under the Stars in King of Prussia, Pa. -- Make Every Word Hurt is a great song that as far as I know has not been recorded yet.

I finally got to hear what I'd been missing and now you can, too. 8)

Make Every Word Hurt
Make Every Word Hurt w/band
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:25 pm

God Didn't Build You That Way is a new song by Lori McKenna..........live at Paste Studio.

God Didn't Build You That Way
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Mar 15, 2009 9:54 pm

Thanks Paddy, you post these links that I'm sure I would never find... Lori's website seems to be down.. and she hasn't performed much lately (not that she ever toured much) so that was a nice little surprise.. The next show I see is the same night as JR.Prom... ugghh... not sure what I'll be able manage that night. but I would really love to see Lori in concert again soon...

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:40 pm

Lori McKenna 2 brand new songs up on her myspace

http://www.myspace.com/lorimckenna

Love Lori's music, she needs to get on tour more often.. maybe a few new songs posted on her myspace means that is a about to happen.!!

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:49 pm

Keith Urban recorded Lori's song Luxury of Knowing on his latest CD

Wahoo... great to see some of the big artist picking up on artists that we have loved for years :P

http://mp3skull.com/mp3/keith_urban_the ... owing.html

Return to “Looking for My Friends”