Jimmy LaFave

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Jimmy LaFave

Postby KarenZ » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:23 am

Folks,

Goodness. Another oversight. No Jimmy LaFave thread on the new board. :( Just heard Jimmy on WUMB doing a song from his fabulous Texoma release from a few years ago. The song is one of my favorite tracks on the disk - a cover of Gretchen Peters' "On a Bus to St. cloud". OMG - listening to Jimmy...especially on that song or on his "Never a moment" (from the same CD) is truly a spiritual experience....his voice is so incredibly moving....

Jimmy LaFave website

Jimmy LaFave on MySpace

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Nov 07, 2006 8:08 am

Had to chime in on this one.

Couldn't say it any better, Karen!

For those of you who have access to Rhapsody, Jimmy did a cover of a Townes Van Zandt song, I'll Be Here in the Morning" on a recently released CD, Viva! Terlingua! Nuveo!

It's stunning!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:14 am

Another great song by the late great Townes Van Zandt. I imagine Townes' songs will be covered by tons of singer songwriters for years to come.

"close your eyes I'll be here in the morning"

Not familiar with Rhapsody.....is that tv or internet or.......?

Viva Terlingua Nuevo....that sounds promising.

Perhaps it'll be my intro to Jimmy LaFave!!!
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Nov 07, 2006 9:32 am

Hi Paddy,

It's a website ..... www.rhapsody.com.

You get x-amount of free listens.

Type in Jimmy LaFave, then look to your left for compilations and the Viva CD should be the first one.

Enjoy!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:03 am

Thanks monicar....I tried it and offer these tips:

At first......I typed in Jimmy LaFave in the search only to be told artist not found...a lil persistence and I got to the CD with the song.

So don't give up at first..........also...Rhapsody player needs to be loaded on your computer to hear it.......and I gave up....but I'll try later..... :wink:
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:18 am

Sorry about that Paddy. Didn't realize you had to have the Rhapsody player. My kids must have put it on my computer at some point!

You can hear a snippet at Barnes and Noble's website, although that's just a tease in my opinion.

paddyinthepub

needle in a haystack

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Dec 15, 2006 9:18 pm

I was all day sorting CDs.....got most CDs matched with their cases.....got to change my ways...put 'em back where you got 'em I'd say, lest you have the kind of time I had today trying to play the match game.

The good news is I looked at my music collection closer than I have in quite some time....maybe since my move to Philly 2 years ago, and what do I find hiding there but Jimmy LaFave's Texoma CD. Lord knows how long I've had it in the collection. Obviously I purchased it a long time ago along with several others......and when I got home it likely was put up on the shelf.

Been there all this time..........serendipity mixed with a little........ :oops:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed May 02, 2007 11:03 am

Folks,

WUMB has been playing songs from Jimmy LaFave's new release Cimarron Manifesto being released on Red House Records next week (May 8, 2007). OMG. I just heard the first track, "Car Outside", and am almost speechless. I love this man. ;) It is a terrific song about the call of the road:

"There's a car outside - and there's a road
There's a time to stay - and a time to rock 'n roll
You've been a real good friend - but I'm on my way
If I don't see you real soon - I'll see you down the road someday."
-- Jimmy LaFave

Kacy Crowley sings with him on this song. Other guest appearances on the album are Ruthie Foster, Andrew Hardin, Carrie Rodriguez, and RAD LORCOVIC! (among others.) :shock:

Can't wait to get my hands on this disk. Talk about SWOON! :lol:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed May 02, 2007 11:35 am

I'm gonna make you green - the CD arrived in this morning's post and we've played it through one and a bit times in the car as we've been out and about today.

First impressions - 5 star - although strictly speaking its not the first time that we've heard some of the songs as he played them at SXSW and we did see him (and his band) three times. Just awesome.

You are in for a treat and mega swoon when it hits your letterbox!!! Extra bonus - Jeff Plankenhorn plays on the CD as well.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed May 02, 2007 11:47 am

Not fair! It's not officially released until next week! :shock:

KarenZ - (green with envy!)
:lol:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed May 02, 2007 12:09 pm

I forgot to say that I've been working on Jimmy's Wikipedia article. It's no way near being as comprehensive as the Ellis Paul article, but it's getting there....

Jimmy LaFave in Wikipedia.

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed May 02, 2007 12:11 pm

pretty impressive coup there Jela!!!

Was that one of those "import records" I've always heard about?

Congrats....we'll all catch up soon enough.......5 stars...yeehah!!!

can hardly wait.....thanks for the clue.... :wink:
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed May 02, 2007 12:16 pm

Karen - where do you find the time??? You must tell me your secrets.

Article is indeed looking good and look forward to reading more as you develop it.

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed May 02, 2007 12:17 pm

Paddy, no not an 'import' just ordered direct from Red House (the record label) and it got here ahead of the official release date.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed May 02, 2007 12:29 pm

Jela,

Aren't you the gal who's writing a BOOK? ;)

Karenz

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu May 03, 2007 9:16 am

Jela, I am very jealous you received your Jimmy CD already! I too heard a lot of the new stuff in January when Jimmy was in the New England area.

WUMB has played 4 tracks so far and I love what I'm hearing. No surprise there.

Can't wait for Woody Fest.

Karen, your Wikipedia stuff is AMAZING! Thank you for ..... being YOU!

Monica R.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:29 am

Folks,

Jimmy's Cimarron Manifesto hit #1 this week on the Americana Music Chart! YEE HAW!

Americana Music Association chart - June 11, 2007

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Jun 13, 2007 12:55 pm

As you say over there 'Way to go! Jimmy!' Great news - my favourite track is 'This Land'

He's such a fantastic interpreter of other people's songs - let me be controversial and say that I prefer Jimmy's versions of Dylan's songs to Dylan's !!!

The Donovan song ' Catch the Wind' on this CD is another great interpretation - justs fits so well on the album.

Jela

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Jun 13, 2007 4:57 pm

Much deserved, in my opinion. I LOVE this CD.

Jela, when I first listened to all the Dylan songs on Jimmy's Trail, I loved being able to actually understand Dylan lyrics!

You are going to Okemah too??? This is going to be so much fun!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Jun 13, 2007 5:46 pm

Yes Monica we will be making the trip this year so look forward to seeing you again.....only 4 weeks to go!!!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:03 pm

Jela,

I'm with you all the way. ;)

In Arthur Wood's recent review of Cimarron Manifesto in FolkWax he states that Jimmy is "one of the finest Dylan intepreters ever".

KarenZ

Richard + Jela wrote:He's such a fantastic interpreter of other people's songs - let me be controversial and say that I prefer Jimmy's versions of Dylan's songs to Dylan's !!!
Jela

danaj

Postby danaj » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:39 pm

Well, colour me jealous... This is another CD I have on my "TO BUY" list. I got to hear a couple of songs off it when Jimmy played in Duncan, OK earlier this year, and of course I loved them and can't wait to hear more.

I see that several of you are planning on being in Okemah... Hope to have a chance to meet you and have faces to put with the names. :)
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:33 am

Folks (Jela!),

Really nice article on Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy in the latest issue (Nov/Dec 2007) of Austin Music and Entertainment. And boy does he speakly highly of the WoodyFest. :)

Jimmy LaFave: Pure Americana by Hillary R. Skaff

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Dec 18, 2007 11:54 am

Thanks for the link, Karen.

I'm glad he has trouble putting Woody Fest into words .... I can totally relate to that.

Some great pics too! I have a picture with Jimmy from the first time I saw him in 2000. It's before either of us were gray!

MonicaR.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:29 pm

MonicaR, Jela,

I'm listening to Mountain Stage on WUMB right NOW and Jimmy is the special guest! He has Rad playing with him as well as John Inmon and Geln Schuetz!

Karen

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:37 pm

OMG.......I forgot what swoonworthy can REALLY be.....Jimmy's performing "secret garden".....and I am literally swooning off my chair...John Inmon's guitar.....Jimmy's voice.....Rad on keyboard.....oh my....

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:21 pm

Hi Karen,

I heard the show on Sunday. Secret Garden KILLS me, as does his reworked version of Only One Angel!!!!

MonicaR.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Dec 20, 2007 7:59 pm

Monica,

It was "secret garden" that started me swooning and prompted that post! :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Dec 21, 2007 4:26 am

Wish I'd been listening in! His voice just melts me everytime. In fact I've got a longish car journey today, two hour round trip, and I think I'll take Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy with me in the CD player.

Jela

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:18 am

You can't go wrong with Jimmy in the CD player for a long trip, Jela!!!!!

I hope he records Secret Garden one of these days!

MonicaR.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:27 pm

MonicaR,

I'm listening to the Burns Sisters right now on WUMB's Live at Noon.....and they just referred to Jimmy as:

Jimmy LaFavorite

(I knew you'd like that as much as I did.) :D

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Jan 22, 2008 3:57 pm

Hi Karen,

I heard it too! A LaFavorite for sure!

Just saw him with the Ribbon of Highway show, which was awesome, but sadly missing a certain someone whose board I'm posting on!!!! Great show, though!

Monica R.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:06 pm

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy alert! :)

The swoonworthy one is the cover story on this month's Acoustic Live. ;)

http://www.acousticlive.com/feb_9.htm

Karen

monicar

Postby monicar » Mon Feb 11, 2008 4:03 pm

Great article!

Thanks for finding and sharing, Karen!

Monica R.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 12, 2008 12:18 pm

Just thought I'd pass this along since Valentine's Day is almost here.

From the concert calendar at the Mucky Duck in Houston:

Feb 14, 7:00pm
Valentine's Dinner Show
with
JIMMY LAFAVE

:P
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:08 pm

That would be a SWEET Valentine's!!!

How I wish!

Monica R.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 12, 2008 1:27 pm

For just one day.....

"He'd be your calendar man, if ya need a holiday"

:P
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:21 pm

Thanks for the laugh Paddy!

Actually, he's my calendar man on a daily basis ...... Mr. July to be exact ..... from last year's Naked Folk Calendar.

A friend gave me the "Texas Howlers 2008 Music and Mutts Calendar" where Jimmy is Mr. June with his dog Okemah!

I wonder what's on tap for next year???????

Monica R.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:28 pm

In my house, it's always June, 2005. ;)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Feb 12, 2008 3:32 pm

Keeping the Jimmy thread going here is a great session he did with John Inmon for KUT Austin last December

KUTAustin

Richard

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Feb 28, 2008 8:58 am

From Folkwax:

Fred Eaglesmith Texas Weekend Update:
In spite of last week's update, which accidentally listed The Fred Eaglesmith Dinner Show with last year's date, tickets are almost gone for this show! They have rented a couple of more tables and opened up 35 more tickets, so if you have been putting off purchasing them, you still have a chance, The BBQ Dinner this year is on February 29. The menu includes the Gristmill's famous Baby Back Ribs, Gruene Beans, Garlic Mashed Potatoes, Jack Daniels Pecan Pie, and all of the fixin's, and includes a special concert with Fred Eaglesmith and the Band. The ticket price includes The Late Show with Guy Forsyth and Jimmy La Fave. Advance tickets are required for the dinner show. All other tickets for the weekend can be purchased separately at www.gruenehall.com, including the Late Show on Friday night. The schedule is now posted at www.fredintexas.com. Be sure and check it out so you don't miss your favorite act!
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:56 am

I just saw Jimmy this past weekend at Fox Run House Concerts. My very first house concert and I loved the set-up. Ellis will be there in October as per the schedule they passed out and I'd highly recommend it!

Jimmy was battling pneumonia and did 2 shows. One at 4 and one at 8!

As I said to him at one point, if we could all sound that good when we weren't feeling well, this world would be a much more beautiful place.

Monica R.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:46 am

Jimmy with a cold :?: :shock: I can't imagine :!: :D

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu May 15, 2008 4:43 am

Ladies - sit and swoooooon!

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy at Blue Rock

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 15, 2008 6:48 am

Ooooooooo, I can't wait to watch it! :)

Swooning in anticipation,
KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu May 15, 2008 7:51 am

Firing up my other computer to watch!

I've been up since 4, working since 5 and I could certainly use a Jimmy LaFave kinda break!

Thanks, Jela!!!!

Monica R.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 15, 2008 10:31 am

Wow....that was wonderful, but WAY too short! :) I wish we could have heard his tribute to Bob Childers. I'm sure we'll hear it in July.

Thanks, Jela! :)

BTW.....John Inmon was looking incredibly good too, no? ;)

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu May 15, 2008 11:27 am

Way too short is right ....... especially the little clip of Secret Garden ..... OUCHHHH! That version KILLS me!

I do believe John should be added to the swoonworthy list!

Monica R.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 15, 2008 1:02 pm

Monica,

I just ordered Highway Trance. Man....it was hard to find even a USED copy that was reasonably priced! What's up with that? ;)

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu May 15, 2008 1:34 pm

Wowzah. I wonder what's up with that too!

I had to buy a second one as I wore out the first one, but I got it at a Jimmy show and it was the usual $15.

I just know you are going to love it! And the picture too ......... I remember when you and I first met and talked about him and you said "those eyes!" This is a BIG time eyes picture!

Looking forward to your review!

Monica R.

Return to “Looking for My Friends”