Jimmy LaFave

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu May 15, 2008 5:34 pm

I agree, I agree - the clip is too short and John Inmon is most definately added to the swoonworthy list.

Incidentally, I've recently been in e-mail contact with the guy who runs the Blue Rock website and they are thinking about making whole shows available!!! If that ever does happen I know how I'll be spending my time. It looks such a beautiful place and I would love to go to a concert there. Now if any of 'my boys' could arrange to be in concert there immediately before or after next year's SXSW I'll be first in the line!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 15, 2008 5:49 pm

Sounds like a Road Trip....a Road Trip
The miles on the dash are doing back flips!

:)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela wrote:I agree, I agree - the clip is too short and John Inmon is most definately added to the swoonworthy list.

Incidentally, I've recently been in e-mail contact with the guy who runs the Blue Rock website and they are thinking about making whole shows available!!! If that ever does happen I know how I'll be spending my time. It looks such a beautiful place and I would love to go to a concert there. Now if any of 'my boys' could arrange to be in concert there immediately before or after next year's SXSW I'll be first in the line!

Jela
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Re: Jimmy LaFave

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Feb 22, 2009 12:58 pm

A YouTube video from this past week's Folk Alliance in Memphis of Jimmy LaFave with Rad, singing 'Hideway Girl'

Hideway Girl

Sublime...............

Jela

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:36 am

Great video! Was nice to SEE Mr. Jimmy. I'm going on 1 year since he's been out this way and I'm not liking it one bit!!!!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:26 pm

:evil: :evil: :evil:

Just found out that the Ribbon of Highway show that was scheduled to be here next Wednesday has been cancelled. No Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy! *wail!* *moan!* *groan!*

:evil:

I'd rather be swooning,
KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:17 pm

Sorry to hear that, Karen. I was hoping to live vicariously through you for that show.

It will be 1 whole, really long year on April 5 since I've seen the man. I am not happy about that AT ALL!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:15 pm

Ladies - sorry to hear that. Wonder why the show was cancelled??

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:20 pm

Jela,

The only reason I can think of is that maybe ticket pre-sales weren't brisk enough.....but I don't know for sure.

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Nov 06, 2009 3:33 am

Just for you adoring Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy! fans (you know who you are and I know who you are!)

Jimmy LaFave

Jela

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Nov 06, 2009 6:45 am

I'm not much of a Jimmy LaFave fan, but that was pretty cool! :lol:

I think he's forgotten about us Boston fans though ...... going on 2 years since he's been here!

Thanks, Jela!

Monica R.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:13 am

...but he NEVER EVER comes to the UK :(

I have been set a 'your mission should you choose to accept it' task by a concert promoter here in the UK which is to persuade Jimmy LaFave to tour in the UK. There are other promoters too who would put him on if he ventured our way.

Tall order or what?

Jela

monicar

Postby monicar » Fri Nov 06, 2009 8:32 am

Tall order for sure, but something tells me you can get it done, Jela!!!!!!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:13 pm

You have more faith in me than I do!!!!!

monicar

Postby monicar » Sat Nov 07, 2009 9:36 am

"Faith has no weight, she says, now doubt, there's the burden!"

Got get him, Jela!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Nov 08, 2009 8:36 am

Well if it ever happened I would be 'weightless' as I'd be floating around on Cloud 9.

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:44 am

You won't know unless you try... Dusty.. I mean Jela :wink:

Go For It.
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Apr 10, 2010 5:41 am

My review of the concert we went to in Fredericksburg, will appear in this month's Maverick - here's the copy.

It was so nice to see a full Jimmy LaFave show as we only normally get to see him at festivals and showcases. He and his band played for over two hours and it was great for us to be there with friends; wish MonicaR could have been there too but at least he's coming your way this year Monica!

Jela
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:34 am

Great article, Jela, as always. You have such a way of caputuring the moment and putting it into words ... makes me feel like I was there.

Laughing about the guy taking off his shirt. Now, there's a case of letting the music move you!

Wish I was there too but am THRILLED to know he's finally coming out this way and thankfully not on my husband's b-day as was the rumor initially! That just wouldn't have gone over well!!!

Thanks for sharing!

MonicaR

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:49 am

Jela,

Just finished reading your review of Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy's show. Loved it and wish I could have been there to experience "living in the moment" with you and the others lucky enough to have been in the audience that night! :-)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:50 am

So I logged on to WUMB this morning and was warmly greeted with a photo/blurb that Jimmy LaFave was one of the recent Live At Noon guests. Since we're discussing ways to ward off Alzheimer's (in another thread).....did I know about this? Did I forget about this? :oops: MonicaR, did you know Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy was a recent guest on WUMB???

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:23 am

I was hoping I could recall where I saw this youtube yesterday. Yes, that's right, I said Yesterday! Luckily, there's google. Keeps me thinking my total recall is right where it needs to be. Whew! :wink:

I love this performance of "Moving" by John Fullbright

Joined on the bus by Jimmy La Fave and Radoslav Lorkovic

Moving
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:53 am

Thanks, Paddy! I've been listening to John Fullbright's Live at the Blue Door since I bought it after seeing him live last month in Oklahoma. John is from Okemah (Woody Guthrie's hometown and the location of WoodyFest) and first played the festival 3 or 4 years ago when he was still a student at Okemah High School! That's how young and talented he is! :shock: I think Jimmy - recognizing John's talent - has really taken him under his wing...including signing John to his Music Road Records label.

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 28, 2010 11:10 am

This John Fullbright's style and sound grabbed me immediately yesterday it's rare when that happens to me anymore so when it does it's oftentimes something really, really, special. This performance is about as good as it gets and if that LIVE album is as good as the time spent on the bus here well, you can count me in! :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Apr 29, 2010 11:31 am

I agree, Paddy. After watching the video, I found myself singing the tune for the rest of the day.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:25 am

A review of Jimmy's new CD - a career retrospective - appears in today's Folkwax E-zine:

Jimmy LaFave:

"Favorites 1992-2001"

Music Road Records
10 out of 10

By Evert Wilbrink

When my faith in Bob Dylan was still totally unwavered, long, long before I forgave him for his ungodly Christmas album, I wrote time and time again that nobody sings Dylan like Jimmy LaFave. I´ve heard Lucinda Williams repeatedly yell Jimmy LaFave Is God. And every time I´ve seen Oklahoman Jimmy live on stage, my heart poured over, and my chest started fevering. Jimmy´s voice is not just sexy, emotional, and loving, he uses his pipes the way an athlete uses his arms and legs. He raps his voice like a vine around the melody of the song and, when he attempts one of a fellow writer, his soul sinks in it, and the tune changes color and form.

When he tackles Ten Years After's "Rock 'n Roll Music To The World," it all of a sudden becomes a great Jimmy LaFave song, and I bet you that when Alvin Lee heard back this cover of one of his biggest moneymakers, he must have sincerely doubted whether he wrote the song or whether Jimmy did.

I don't know of any of Jimmy's songs ever having been covered, but if Rod Stewart would only hear two lines of "Only One Angel," I'm sure he'd be riding the top of the charts within six weeks. Roddy's sandpapery pipes would etch this forever in the world's ears. But still it would at best be equal to Jimmy's own which keeps thrilling the strings of my soul and wets my eyes. The ultimate love-song: 'And I could run through the desert wind till the day would leave me breathless, searching for words again. And hope that you could hear that sound in streams of magic colors that are painted across the ground... If you gotta know what pulls me through: I have only one angel, babe, that one angel is you... And I'll always take you with me like a charm, you keep me in the good light safe from harm; you chase the dark clouds far awa; you keep my feet from turning into clay.'

Even when the rhythm pounders and an army could march on it, Jimmy's voice runs around the melody like a ballet dancer floating around his prima ballerina. His voice kills me. His pen thrills me. Especially through his sentimental songs, like "Never Is A Moment." Rod, when Jimmy bares his soul, there's never a dull moment, and, hear me out. Nobody Can Write Like Jimmy LaFave! 'In the vastness of this world, baby, you are so unique... From your pouty little mouth to your pretty little peaks, from your head down to your toes, you are beautiful divine... And there never is a moment that you are not on my mind!' With lyrics like "When It Starts To Rain" (Hey Rod, I think you should do a whole Jimmy LaFave Songbook!) it's no wonder girls swoon away and fall in love with the man who's always been doubling between a career as a singer or driving trucks across the Okie vastness.

The first time ever I heard Jimmy's voice was when somebody played Rolling Stones' producer Andrew Loog Oldham a tape that Jimmy had recorded in a garage somewhere in Austin or maybe back home in Oklahoma, and I heard Jimmy tear through the Left Bank's "Walk Away Renee." I remember, years earlier, the Four Tops taking this song and turning it into a monument. But that garage-demo, just Jimmy and his guitar, took that tune and made it a cathedral. Two years later, 1989, 1990, I saw Jimmy and Lucinda playing for tips in bars in Austin, half a mile apart, the Hole In The Wall and other holes in the walls. Lucinda has since become a household name, and Jimmy's still is a too well kept secret.

Favorites 1992-2001, LaFave's newest release, is a retrospective of those ten years under the wings of Mark Shumate of Bohemia Beat Records. Sixteen beautiful recordings. It could have been another, completely different selection of sixteen tunes, or yet another one from the vaults of Bohemia, and it would have sound equally impressive. I'm going to play a song a day from it to my Deborah every time she wakes up during the last two weeks of her school-vacation: 'Your name and mine inside a heart upon a wall, still finds a way to haunt me though they're so small...'

I think this is the first time I reviewed a record for Folkwax and gave it 10 out of 10. Lucinda was so right! Jimmy LaFave IS God. He's right there in my very own Pantheon. Shoulder to shoulder with Neil Young, Bob Dylan, Bob Marley, Bruce Springsteen. The worshippers may not recognize him yet between his fellow giants, but he's right there, right there, and for me he will remain there forever. Turn around y'all. Look at him, open your ears!

Evert Wilbrink is a senior contributing editor at FolkWax. Evert may be contacted at folkwax@visnat.com

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Jul 29, 2010 9:29 am

"Jimmy LaFave is God!" Gotta love that Lucinda!

Nine more days and I get to see the man after 2-1/2 plus years!!!!!

Kidnapping Ms. Patti Dalton for her first introduction to Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy!

MonicaR.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:36 am

Have fun at the concert - what am I saying? of course you'll have fun.

The new CD is great, I first listened to it last week driving to work (first day back last Friday) and when I got home, Richard asked me what I thought of it to which my reply was 'Jimmy could sing the 'phone directory and make it sound stunning!'

Fabulous photo of Jimmy on the inside cover taken by Terry, an Austin based friend. She also shoots the most wonderful videos - check out YouTube.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jul 29, 2010 11:36 am

I thought you'd like that, MonicaR. ;-)

Make sure you smelling salts handy for Patti. She's gonna need them when she starts *swooning*. :D

KarenZ
monicar wrote:"Jimmy LaFave is God!" Gotta love that Lucinda!

Nine more days and I get to see the man after 2-1/2 plus years!!!!!

Kidnapping Ms. Patti Dalton for her first introduction to Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy!

MonicaR.

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:11 pm

Jela, I just listened to the new CD the other day. Loved "How It Must Remain" which was the first song of his I ever heard!

I always say he could record 12 tracks of Row, Row, Row Your Boat and I'd buy it!

Karen, Patti may have to perform CPR on me since it's been so long since I've seen him! :lol:

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Jul 29, 2010 5:02 pm

After reading that review I am going to make sure the venue has a defibrillator !!

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Aug 08, 2010 10:56 pm

Having heard and read SO many great things about Jimmy, I was afraid he might fail to met my high expectations ..boy was I wrong !!

Fox Run was a perfect small venue to be able to see and hear him for the first time and he was so very nice in person. I bought a few CDs since I had none of his music, I have liked everything I have heard so far.

Thanks to y'll for sharing opinions and recommendations about new artist on this discussion board. I came to know Mark Erelli and Chris Trapper's music via this board and now Jimmy's music too.. some things are worth the wait.. Thanks so much MonicaR.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Aug 09, 2010 5:01 am

Patti - so pleased that you were wowed (just like we all are when we see him) and did you have to use the defibrillator on Monica??? Do tell!

Jela

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Aug 12, 2010 9:47 am

Sorry it took me so long to get on here. Been an interesting/somewhat stressful week for me!

I am so glad that Jimmy lived up to Patti's expectations! I didn't see it being any other way, but you never know.

No defibrillator needed, Jela, although my heart rate did increase some when I first saw him!!! :lol:

It was so good to see/hear him again after such a long hiatus. Well worth the wait.

He did a killer version of All Along the Watch Tower!!!!

Love, love, LOVE that man and his band!

Monica R.

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:12 pm

Well well well.. okay I get it, I really get it... Since I had owned no recordings/music of his before the show I couldn't say I understood.. but now having seen and heard him (and have installed his music on my ipod) I can say I AGREE , how long is the line :lol:

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Aug 12, 2010 1:25 pm

It's a very, very, very long line!!!

Jela

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:05 pm

This is getting old, but "to the back of the line, Patti!" :lol:

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:37 pm

Never is a Moment from the Fox Run concert.

I spy a familiar face in the front row - as I always say to Freddie 'where else would you be at a Jimmy LaFave show other than in the front row!'

Sound quality is excellent on this video.

Return to “Looking for My Friends”