Sam Baker

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

Richard + Jela

Re: Sam Baker

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Sep 03, 2008 4:20 pm

Well Karen you did ask!

Sam Baker headlined the Maverick Festival this past weekend at Easton Farm Park, Suffolk, England and it was the first time he'd appeared in the UK with a band. This is his third UK tour and we just can't get enough of him! He's playing five dates in Holland starting tonight before winging back our way and doing 13 (yes 13!) dates on a UK tour - we will be going to at least three more shows.

This was the inaugural Maverick Festival and the organisers had had some licensing issues which meant that the numbers were restricted but to my mind that just added to the intimate feel of the festival. We were also so lucky that on the main day, Saturday, the sun shone so brightly and everyone was in a happy, happy mood.

Sam's band included the people who played on the CDs with him so we got Mike Daly (pedal steel) Tim Lorsch (violins) Walt Wilkins (guitar) and Tina Mitchell Wilkins (backing vocals). It was an absolute joy to hear them sing and play together, the accompaniment of the pedal steel and violin added something really special to the performance. They created even more emotion than his songs usually do. I didn't write a set list but he played for an hour - songs from both 'Mercy' and 'Pretty World'

I was sitting right in the front row, practically within touching distance (where else?) and could hear the exchanges between them - Sam was going to finish with 'Waves' and 'Truale' but someone in the audience called out for 'Broken Fingers' so the last two songs he played were the aforementioned 'Broken Fingers' and 'Angels'. Audience reaction was great so they came back for an encore, breaking the curfew in the process (hee, hee) and finished off with 'Truale' inviting two friends from Texas on the stage, one was a 13yr old whose name I have forgotten and the other was Autumn, a singer who had played with him at one of the SXSW shows we went to in March. The band didn't really want to play 'Broken Fingers' because its so hard for him to do so given the subject matter but he wanted to satisfy the request. His harmonica playing really moved the crowd - I'm sure I'm not the only one who felt so emotional when he firstly explained the background to the song and then sang it in his inimitable fashion.

I know that I probably can't be objective about Mr Baker :) but he just seems to get better and better - this was my 12th Sam Baker gig and it was the best, yes, surpassing even the WoodyFest show which I thought was the best I'd seen him.

Got to talk with him after the show and Karen I gave him a hug from you! That's not altogether altruistic as it means that I get more than one hug!!! :lol: :lol:

Richard took photos at the Festival including ones of Sam and his band - if you would like to see them they are on flickr
Maverick Festival

Karen - check out Sam's T-shirt underneath his shirt!!!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:19 pm

Sam is wearing his WoodyFest t-shirt! 8)

Richard, the colors of these photos are just brilliant! And you really captured Sam's devilish grin! :)

Thank you!

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:21 pm

Jela,

Feel free to use me as an excuse for a hug anytime. ;)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela wrote:Got to talk with him after the show and Karen I gave him a hug from you! That's not altogether altruistic as it means that I get more than one hug!!! :lol: :lol:
Jela
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Sep 03, 2008 5:40 pm

Karen - I won't need telling twice! :) :)

Jela

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:33 am

Richard + Jela wrote:Karen - I won't need telling twice! :) :)

Jela

The real question is, will you be giving Karen the hug garnered on her behalf, or keeping it for yourself? Ha Ha!! :lol:

Jela, would you please send Sam my way? I have only seen him open for Ellis at Passim. He never seems to make his way to New England on his own. :(
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Sep 04, 2008 10:05 am

Bonnie,

I heard through the grapevine (Hey, that sounds like a song) ;) that Sam is heading east next spring. Keep your fingers and toes crossed. :)

KarenZ
bonuela wrote:Jela, would you please send Sam my way? I have only seen him open for Ellis at Passim. He never seems to make his way to New England on his own. :(

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Sep 04, 2008 12:23 pm

Well - will I keep Karen's hug for myself? That's the $64,000 dollar question :!:

As to sending Sam your way Bonnie - I think that I'd like to keep him here :lol:

Seriously though at Vermont I asked Ellis if Sam was going to be at his New Year shows and it seems he isn't (sob, sob) but and I don't know how firm this is, Ellis said that he might be taking him on a few of the earlier shows he's playing during December - so you might get to see him after all before the year end.

I think that we should start a campaign to have Sam open the shows on at least one of the Passim days at New Year - who's in????

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:51 pm

Jela,

Are you a HUG HAWG???? :lol:

I'll join in the Sam Baker campaign! I can see the HEADLINE now:

"Handsome Trout to open for Ellis Paul at Passim!"

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:

KarenZ
Richard + Jela wrote:Well - will I keep Karen's hug for myself? That's the $64,000 dollar question :!:

As to sending Sam your way Bonnie - I think that I'd like to keep him here :lol:

Seriously though at Vermont I asked Ellis if Sam was going to be at his New Year shows and it seems he isn't (sob, sob) but and I don't know how firm this is, Ellis said that he might be taking him on a few of the earlier shows he's playing during December - so you might get to see him after all before the year end.

I think that we should start a campaign to have Sam open the shows on at least one of the Passim days at New Year - who's in????

Jela

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:35 pm

We the below signees hereby petition Mr Ellis Paul to provide for our swooning and listening enjoyment, the following artists:

December 30 ~ Sam Baker
December 31 ~ Flynn

DonCon and Rad "the Croatian Sensation" Lorkovic to be scattered throughout the shows.

Bonnie
Karen
Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:45 pm

Who else can we bribe to sign? :wink:

KarenZ

bonuela wrote:We the below signees hereby petition Mr Ellis Paul to provide for our swooning and listening enjoyment, the following artists:

December 30 ~ Sam Baker
December 31 ~ Flynn

DonCon and Rad "the Croatian Sensation" Lorkovic to be scattered throughout the shows.

Bonnie
Karen
Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:10 pm

I've got tears of laughter streaming down my face reading this :lol: :lol:

C'mon the rest of you - sign up!

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:10 pm

Attention all artists wishing to open shows for Ellis Paul.....
You may go through all regular channels, of course.......OR
Contact: Ellis Paul Devotees here on the forum...... :mrgreen:

Sure....I'll sign! :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:07 pm

How about we go the democratic route

"We the People of the Ellis Paul Board, in Order to form a more perfect Concert, establish Sam Baker and Flynn as permanant openers to insure musical tranquility, and provide for the uncommon comedy [1] promote the general happiness, and secure the Blessings of Devotees and to others and our Posterity, do ordain and establish this Constitution for the Passims of Cambrige."
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:20 pm

Oh Patti, that is priceless!!

That would make it unconstitutional for them to ever skip a show again. :mrgreen:

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Sep 05, 2008 2:14 am

That works for me! Does the uncommon comedy include the swoonability factor?

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Sep 05, 2008 7:26 am

Yes, most def. I went back to try to edit and include "swoonworthy" but every time I try to edit, I get sent back to the sign in page and then the edit function disappears...??
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Sep 12, 2008 4:23 pm

Another day, another Sam Baker concert....
Last night at The Luminaire in London Sam played accompanied by Tim Lorsch on violins and mandolin.

He started off with a new song 'Look Away' which I think he sang when he played this venue on his UK debut last December and then played a first set of approx 30mins featuring songs from both CDs.

After a 10 minute break they came back for a second set which lasted about 75mins during which he played audience requests and we also got to hear two unrecorded songs - one was the new song he sang at WoodyFest which in the absence of knowing its title, I will call 'Signs' and he finished the night with a song that I thought he said had been co-written with 'Lizzie Rose' ?????

Another great night, there were a number of 'regulars' in the audience as well as some newbies, who thought he was just fabulous and I'm sure his CD sales will increase even further here after last night's show.

We managed to get in the 'spit seats' and for our trouble got heckled all night long (!) We had to make a pretty quick getaway afterwards as we had to catch the last train home - we got in at about 1.15am. Worth every minute.

As an aside, prior to the concert we went to a photography exhibition 'Forever 27' which featured iconic and previously unseen photos of musicians who had died at the tender age of 27 years - Brian Jones, Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, Jim Morrison and Kurt Cobain - whilst the subject matter is unbearably sad, the exhibition is very poignant. See Forever 27 for details.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:16 pm

Amazing stat that all these great artists died at the age of 27. I did not know they had that in common other than that they left us way too soon. When I look back at the pup I was at 27 it allows me to realise just how young they were at the time of their deaths. Thanks for the report from the show, Jela, and the additional info on the gallery show. Very cool! I'm sure you guys make Sam's night when he sees you brave the spit seats and proximity to his heckling..... :lol:
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Fri Sep 12, 2008 6:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

EllisFanInParis

Postby EllisFanInParis » Sat Sep 13, 2008 6:45 am

Hello!

Back under a new name after losing all my personal details on another computer...

Anyway, did Sam mention a new album?

Can't wait,

Hervé

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:01 am

Herve - welcome back mon ami!

No Sam didn't mention a new album. I know that he's got new songs as I've heard six unrecorded songs during the times I've seen him live but I don't think that he has any immediate plans to go into the studio. If I find out any more info I'll let you know. Am seeing him again tomorrow night.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:06 am

Herve,

Welcome back.....but please consider using your old avatar. ;)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:13 am

Welcome back Herve, a much shorter name to type than EllisFanInParis........ :P
paddy

EllisFanInParis

Postby EllisFanInParis » Sat Sep 13, 2008 9:48 am

Ok Karen, you're the boss :D

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Sep 13, 2008 10:01 am

Herve,

You just brought a BIG :mrgreen: to my face!

Karenz

EllisFanInParis

Postby EllisFanInParis » Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:20 pm

Jela,

did you see any of Sam's shows with Otis GIBBS?

This is another great songwriter from Wanamaker Indiana. Audio clips at http://www.myspace.com/otisgibbs

Looks great, huh?

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:29 pm

Herve, no we didn't see any Sam shows with Otis Gibbs - we went to three on the UK tour in December when the photo was taken - it seems as if they (Sam + Otis) played when they were in the north and we live in the south.

Listened to an Otis clip on myspace - well worth checking out - love the raspy voice - thanks. Otis is a new name to me.

EllisFanInParis

Postby EllisFanInParis » Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:36 pm

Jela,

Looks like Otis is back in the UK in the fall, probably in your neck of the woods.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Sep 13, 2008 8:27 pm

EllisFanInParis wrote:Ok Karen, you're the boss :D

She sure is...... :D
paddy

EllisFanInParis

Postby EllisFanInParis » Mon Sep 15, 2008 8:34 am

If you can't wait for Sam's new album, hear him harmonize on Lessons Never Learned, the last track of Autumn's debut album, Velvet Sky. The album is produced by Sam's own Wakt Wilkins and Tim Lorsch.

Fats Kaplin sits in with his accordeon, Walt on guitars (who writes four songs) and Dave Jacques on bass.

A cool album.

http://www.myspace.com/autumnonline
http://www.autumnonline.com

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:08 pm

Just back from our road trip to see two more Sam Baker shows – one in Nottingham (Sunday) and one in Leicester (last night).

Both just great – starting off with a new song ‘Look Away’ (my guess at a title) and finishing with another new song, which is about taking care and getting home safely. It’s a co-write with a Nashville based friend I think he said her name is Lizzie Rose. The song is based on a hymn – the final line is ‘…safely, to arrive at home’ and is just a perfect way to finish the evening.

Both concerts were well attended, some people (not just us) attended both and others had travelled a fair distance to be at the shows – he really does have a wide appeal throughout the UK. He played two sets and responded readily to audience requests – great, great evenings.

At last night’s show we met up with Arthur Wood who presented Richard and myself with a very special package including a 6 CD set of Ellis’ Vermont shows – will post more in the right forum about these.

Herve – in response to your question about a new Sam Baker CD he mentioned that he’d got enough songs written for No 3 & 4 and everyone is hoping that a new CD might be out in 2009 however, talking to him, he says that he works really slowly and would prefer to take his time and get things right. However, the next piece of news will cheer you up – on 27th September he’s playing a show in Glasgow, which is being professionally filmed, and a live DVD will be available but I don’t know the scheduled release date (and neither does he). I wish we could be there for the filming of that show, as I know that it will be special.

Also, Arthur and the pair of us put in a word for a tour of the North East US, including the Blixt’s Cabin Concerts, so you guys over there, keep your fingers crossed. We tried for you!

Sam is an absolute treasure.

EllisFanInParis

Postby EllisFanInParis » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:22 pm

Jela, thanks for the great news! Are the Blixts still in business? thought they had quit their concert series? How's Arthur doing? I met him several years back in Paris with Tim Blixt, I guess. He brought an almost complete collectiion of his Kerville Kronikkles! I do need a magnifying glass!

Herve

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Sep 17, 2008 5:35 pm

Hi Herve - yes the Blixts are going to host house concerts again but not on as regular a basis as previously. I understand that the first one they are hosting under the new arrangement is Lynn Miles.

Arthur is in good form - loves talking music and has this month written the cover feature on Eliza Gilkyson for 'Maverick' magazine.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 17, 2008 6:04 pm

Jela,

Thanks for the reports. I've been missing you around here! I guess you have your priorities! :)

Herve, Jela is right about the Blixts. Lynn Miles will be their first Cabin Concerts on Oct. 26 (after coming out of retirement.) ;) I hope to be there for that.

And hopefully Sam Baker in the spring! (Thanks for plugging Cabin Concerts to Sam, Jela!) :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Sep 18, 2008 10:22 am

Jela

That's really funny about Sam wanting to sign the cd set on the spot like that. Strike while the iron is hot! 8)

Brings to mind the story Livingston Taylor tells about the times peope see him in public, like on a commerical flight, and think that he is James Taylor. They come up to him hoping for an autograph and are taken aback to learn it's Liv and not James. Recognizing their embarrassment and obvious decline in spirit he makes the most of the situation. He says how about this? I'll sign an autograph for you from both of us. What's your name? Okay, fine.

Dear so and so.....

All the best, from James Taylor, and me, his brother Livingston Taylor. 8)
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Sep 24, 2008 12:03 pm

Sam Baker is going to be in session, talking and singing, on BBC Radio Scotland tomorrow night (Thursday) on the Iain Anderson show between 10.30pm -12.30am which is 5.30pm - 7.30pm EST.

Herve, that'll be 11.30pm - 1.30am for you in France.

I don't know the exact timing of Sam's slot but you can listen live and listen again for 7 days thereafter.

BBC Radio Scotland Iain Anderson

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:03 pm

He's on the radio right now - starting off singing 'Orphan'

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:52 pm

Drat! I forgot! :evil:

I guess I'll have to listen to the archived broadcast....

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:32 am

Sam was on for about 30 minutes talking and singing - in addition to 'Orphan' he sang 'Waves' 'Iron' and 'Baseball'. He came on about half an hour into the programme.

Mentioned that he'd got songs written for a third CD and was working on the selection/order. Bodes well don't you think?

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:06 am

Jela........I tried to "listen live" and had no luck at all. :? Will keep an eye and ear on the site for the archive in case it shows up. Thanks for advising Sam was on the radio yesterday. :D
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:40 am

Paddy, you can listen to it for the next 6 days - they always keep the broadcasts up for a week i.e. until the next show goes out. Shame that you couldn't listen in 'live' - I listened in over the Internet without any problems. Hope the 'listen again' facility works in the US.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:00 pm

Sam Baker fans will enjoy these photos. 8)

Click on Portfolios
Click on Rock Stars

Photos by Rodney Bursiel
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:28 am

They're fabulous aren't they? Did you spot the one of John Dee Graham immediately following the 3 of Sam? It's the best photo I've seen of a musician, atmospheric, lighting is 'spot on' ....absolutely wonderful.

Rodney Bursiel takes the photos at the Blue Rock (Texas) studios and has some stunning work in his portfolio. Definately worth checking out if you're interested in photography.

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Feb 11, 2009 4:52 pm

I've just come across a newly posted You Tube video of Sam singing an unrecorded song 'Signs' ? The picture quality is not too good but the sound is fine and it's great to be able to hear a new song from him

'Signs'

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Feb 19, 2009 1:05 pm

Jela...thanks for posting this one.....indeed nice to hear some new Sam Baker.

Great story and song........ 8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:18 pm

Sam Baker and Carrie Elkin Live at Anderson Fair in Houston, Tx. in Feb. 14, 2009. 8)

Odessa
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:49 am

Paddy thanks for that link, really enjoyed listening to Sam and Carrie Elkin. She is a name to watch - we've gotten to know her a little bit from our trips to Austin and she has a really powerful voice which you'd never dream she had given her petite build. A lovely girl.

Sam has announced a 13 date UK tour in September - full details are on his website see the calendar page. I'm just working out how many shows we can get too :P We told him in Austin that we're gonna have to take a week off when he comes over! He will be bringing Tim Lorsch with him who is just fabulous, his violins (and sometimes mandolin) add so much to the performance.

But before then I get to see him again at WoodyFest in July ! Another Woo Hoo!

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Mar 29, 2009 2:54 pm

A friend of ours in Austin filmed this video of Sam singing 'Signs'

Signs

Jela aka Sam Baker fan

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed May 27, 2009 3:47 am

From last year's Maverick Festival here in the UK, Sam with band performing 'Slots'

It's a great video, had to share it with you guys! I was in the front row (where else?) and had a fabulous time.

Slots

Enjoy

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed May 27, 2009 10:06 am

Jela,

What a great video! Thanks! It looks like a really nice space.

I like how you're now adding aka Sam Baker fan behind your name. This is getting serious. ;-)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed May 27, 2009 11:18 am

I like how you're now adding aka Sam Baker fan behind your name. This is getting serious.

KarenZ

.....I'm just one of many....

News about the release dates for his new CD - 13th July in the US and 17th August in UK/Europe. Hope he has it available at WoodyFest.

Jela

Return to “Looking for My Friends”