paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:43 am

Got a really cool souvenir concert tee shirt today that reads:

antje duvekot

October, 29, 2006

My House

Live from my Living Room

Photo by Greg Westrol

What a great keepsake for the folks in attendance this afternoon at an intimate concert by the always amazing Antje Duvekot. Antje was joined today by the incredibly talented Abby Gardner for the first half of her set. It was the first time Abby ( of Red Molly fame ) had ever played a gig with Antje. I heard them upstairs ever so softly before showtime and I guess it was all the time Abby needed, she sounded great. Antje said after the show that Abby had learned most of the songs by listening to the CDs. WOW. She played one of those Jerry Douglas to Alison Krauss type accompaniments on every song and absolutely nailed the harmony vocals. I mention Jerry Douglas because she played her dobro the same way. Up towards her and lots of slide action. Most impressive. The vocals too.

Abby had to leave for her own gig halfway thru Antje's set. A funny moment was right after their opening number together and ABBY smiled at Antje and said: THIS IS FUN!!!

Indeed it was. Antje delivered song after song with a bit of pre song intro.
The entire show was completely unplugged. A videographer was there to capture the concert on tape. Another great keepsake.

Here's what we heard today:

* denotes accompanied by Abby Gardner on vocals and guitar

Antje said her opening song was written with a certain ex-boyfriend in mind. He was looking for a girl who was into fine wines and fashion. Antje said that just wasn't her. That she was the kind of girlfriend who could help out with spiders on a camping trip. She then said she hopes he gets eaten by spiders.

Dandelion *

The next song was written while Antje was living in Vermont. She said she felt as though the frogs in the lake were adding the harmonies as she sat there there writing and singing it. She later found out that those frogs always start singing when it starts to get dark out. I swear I heard the frogs coming out of Abby's dobro near the end.

Diamond On Your Hand *

This song is about my search for religion. Writer's note: I always love the line that leads up to Antje droppin the f-bomb.....like her expression and the extra silence as the audience grabs hold of that last line.

Pearls *

Antje told the tale of how the next song came to be written: She was just about to give up on the whole music as career idea...a long drive to play the gig and no real payoff....she went down to the ocean and asked god for an answer - and tho she's not sure he answered - she did get this song:

Reasonland *

This next song is kind of a bummer: Antje realizes she has recently dragged DOWN the last joyful toll taker.......he was all happy and saying this is SO great a job...ALL THE PRETTY WOMEN!!!
yes, but they leave you AND you don't get to keep the money.

Judas *

It was time for a cover.......Antje said she really likes this next song and thinks it's really funny...although most audiences turn into the Blank Face Crowd when she plays it. This song was hilarious, in a really morbid way. What was almost as funny as the song itself, was watching Abby play along on her dobro, eyes focused down on the instrument, and hearing these lyrics for the first time, her mouth literally dropping open as if to say: Oh my GOD!!! And slowly shaking her head. She never lost it. I did.

Dead Horse Trampoline *

Jerusalem *

South *

Abby had to go...Red Molly was calling..she left to a thunderous applause.

Antje intro'd her next song as a political - in the vein of Woody Guthrie. She had just read his bio and liked the way he stood up for the working man. She said she wasn't sure what our politics were, but some might be offended by the song, since it was a not so nice portrayal of our current president. The crowd let her know they agreed. She spoke of her displeasure of the folks on tv like Bill O'Reilly, and Fox News Channel in general, how they seem to be the voice of the conservative right wing. Then they had her on as a guest......she said she did not, of course, sing them this song. They had her show up at 5:45 am. Shows what kind of fascists they are.

Christian Boy

This song was written to break up with a boy. I played the song for him. Well, I didn't just sing the song to him, I told him in words, too.

I Was Lost

This is another song about a boyfriend

Sex Bandaid

I wrote this after a brief crush. I always have to have a crush on a boy.

Opium

A song I wrote about a relationship that didn't work because........

Go Now

Here's a song about a roadtrip with a friend.

Long Way

Do you guys know Ellis Paul? He has this new song. It's a wintry holiday song called Snow In Austin. I was inspired to write this song after hearing about the lil dead armadillo in it.

Road Kill Cafe

Thanks every body...I'm gonna do one more:

Hold On

Thanks Shari :D

The appreciative and enthusiastic crowd brought Antje back for an encore.

This Is a song by the band The Band.

Acadian Driftwood

Then it was time to wind down the afternoon. Antje graciously signed a CD I bought for a friend of mine in Texas. I had bought him a copy of BDB at Tin Angel over the summer but wound up giving it to someone else. I told him I owed him one and I'd send it when I got it. Well, he's in for a treat, cause now he's got one signed by Antje.

Thanks going out to Antje and Abby and Ellis and Shari. :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

stacyx

New Antje fan here.

Postby stacyx » Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:08 am

I first saw Antje down at Marstons Mills when she opened for Ellis back in September.

I was wicked ill that day and missed quite a bit while in the restroom, but the husband really liked what he heard. He bought two tickets to go see her at Passim on the 23rd.

He caught a bad cold bug and was too sick to go, so I inherited the tickets. After a bit of scrambling I found someone to go with me. We both really enjoyed the show and I picked up "Big Dream Boulevard" while I was there.

I've been listening to it ever since. So has the husband.

Enough that he recently purchased tickets to see her in Northampton, MA. Which means a two hour drive out there and we'll probably end up staying the night. She's totally worth it though.

Anways. My five favorite songs in no particular order:

Dandelion
Judas
Helpless Kiss
South
Pearls
May the road rise up to greet you, the wind always be at your back and may you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil realizes you're dead.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:28 pm

I really enjoyed this video clip of Antje singing Dandelion on the Fox Boston morning show......I hope you do too. :)

Here's the link:

http://www.myfoxboston.com/myfox/pages/ ... geId=7.3.1

I found the link over on Antje Duvekot.net on the discussion forum there, which by the way is in need of some more fans to breathe a bit more life into it. It's really slooooow over there...so if you're a fan and have the time.....maybe stop by some time and chime in. :)
paddy

shari

Postby shari » Thu Nov 02, 2006 5:49 pm

Paddy,

Thanks for visiting Antje's discussion board!!!! It's www.antjeduvekot.net for anyone else who might want to stop by.... :-)

Stacy,

Antje's music is very special to me. I am glad that you and your husband liked her so much!!! She's opening for Ellis tommorrow night in Londonderry if anyone is going... I will be there too! :-)

Shari

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:01 pm

Saturday night in Franklin MA too!
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Tupelogirl#2

Postby Tupelogirl#2 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 11:14 pm

Hi Everyone,

I was excited to just learn that Antje will be opening for Greg Greenway on January 13th at The Tupelo. I love Greg, and for those of you who don't know him, you can check him out at http://www.greggreenway.com/. I feel confident in saying, if you love Ellis, you will love Greg (I think...! :D ) Hope to see you there, should be a GREAT show!

~ Laura
Tumbleweeds
Dance on the ground
Armadillos (poor little guys)
Upside down

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Nov 12, 2006 6:28 am

Laura,

Then I should go to the Greg Greenway houe concert that I've been invited to this Thursday night? :wink:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Tupelogirl#2

Postby Tupelogirl#2 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:22 am

My husband just said it for me...There is nothing I wouldn't cancel to be at that concert! Seriously, go! And tell him that Laura and George from The Tupelo said HI!! :D
Tumbleweeds

Dance on the ground

Upside down

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Nov 12, 2006 1:06 pm

Okey Dokey. I'll go. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Nov 14, 2006 9:59 pm

Folks,

TupeloGirl#2 asked me to post these 4 photos of Antje's guitar. Enjoy! :)

Antje's guitar

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Nov 15, 2006 11:22 am

Folks,

WUMB played 3 Antje tunes in a row this morning. I really like that they do that - 3 in a row. (I think it was part of their Top 100 countdown.) Anyway, they had lots of nice comments about Antje including the big news that she will be opening for Paul Brady at the Sanders Theater in Cambridge on Feb. 8, 2007. Way to go Antje! :) (I wonder if this means she'll do "Dublin Boys"?) ;)

KarenZ

Tupelogirl#2

Postby Tupelogirl#2 » Wed Nov 15, 2006 7:26 pm

It was part of their top 100 countdown...she came in at #54! :D
GO ANTJE!!!
Tumbleweeds

Dance on the ground

Upside down

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Nov 22, 2006 2:10 pm

Folks,

WUMB will broadcast Antje's WUMB member show recorded in August 2006 this Sunday, Nov. 26 at 12 noon. :!: If you're not in the Boston (91.9FM) area, you can listen online at:

WUMB

KarenZ

mm

Postby mm » Sat Nov 25, 2006 8:45 pm

I just heard Antje on a little radio interview blurb on WBZ AM radio, a section about women doing cool things. This mentioned her upcoming performance for the Boston Choice Awards. The link for the two interview segments are: (scroll down to the Women's Watch section):

http://www.wbz1030.com

She mentions Ellis in the second segment.

Excellent!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Nov 25, 2006 10:04 pm

Thanks Monica! Wonderful! :)

KarenZ

mm

Postby mm » Sat Dec 02, 2006 12:01 am

I had the joy of being present to see Antje play at the Boston Choice Awards on Wed night to close out the awards ceremony. She was absolutely fantastic and totally in her element, backed up by an excellent band of musicians. She was confident and in excellent voice and the sound mix was terrific. She played Go Now, and the room was rocking. From my vantage at the back of the lovely and fancy-schmantzy hall, I could see many of the other coiffed and dressed-up attendees bopping along or in rapt attention. There were 500 sold-out seats. These awards were to recognize the "best of" restaurants and salons, etc, in Boston, and there were a lot of local celebrities there. A woman I had been chatting with prior to the show found me after and was quite impressed with Antje. I'm sure many others felt the same way.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:17 pm

Have just seen the playlist for the Bob Harris show on BBC Radio2 later tonight and wow! he's going to play 'Dandelion'

I guess that this might be Antje's first ever feature on UK radio and for it to be this show is a real coup! She's going to be on at approx 11.45pm our time so 6.45pm your time on

Bob Harris Radio 2

If you get a chance to listen over the Internet - enjoy!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Dec 09, 2006 5:51 pm

Thanks, Jela! That's only a little less than 2 hours from now - will try to listen! :)

KarenZ

stacyx

Iron Horse show 12/8/06 9:30p Antje opening for Catie Curtis

Postby stacyx » Sat Dec 09, 2006 10:41 pm

My husband and I made the hour and forty-five minute trek out to Northampton, MA from Carlisle, MA.

Playlist:
Go Now
Judas
Dandelion
Jerusalem
Pearls
Christian Boy

She only played six songs because she was opening for Catie Curtis. She did sing a song with Catie, but I didn't catch the title and I'm unfamiliar with all of Catie's songs. She also sang Silent Night with Catie.

Very good show over all. Antje and Catie were both amazing. I managed to get Antje to sign one of the three cds in my hands. She also took a moment to allow me to get a picture. http://www.stacyx.com/images/stacyantje.jpg

The show was well worth the three hours of driving and the twenty minutes of freezing outside waiting to get in.
May the road rise up to greet you, the wind always be at your back and may you be in Heaven a half hour before the Devil realizes you're dead.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Dec 09, 2006 11:17 pm

StacyX, thanks for sharing tonite's Antje Duvekot setlist, story, and photo.

That's one of the best photos I've seen of Antje yet.
paddy

stacyx

Postby stacyx » Sun Dec 10, 2006 7:51 am

I know I'm short, but next to her I look really short. :)

mm

Postby mm » Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:32 am

Yes, Antje is a very tall lady!

Stacy, how did you post that photo? It looks like a website with your name; I have a bunch of photos I'd like to find a way to post and haven't been satisfied yet (Karen's been so kind to post for me a couple times). Yours comes up wtih just the photo and no advertising and I like that.

stacyx

Postby stacyx » Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:12 pm

That's my own personal web space. I worked with a fellow who ran a hosting company on the side and he was generous enough to grant me some free web space.

There are a few sites out there that allow people to post pictures to share. Flickr and Photobucket are two that I know of. I'm sure there are others, but I haven't heard of them.

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:01 am

great picture....

look how many "hits" AD has rec'd.!!!

shari

Postby shari » Mon Dec 11, 2006 10:07 am

Stacy,

Great photo! Thanks for sharing and thanks for posting the setlist, because of course, I am working on a setlist site for Antje too. :D I hope to have it out there on the public web soon.

Shari

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 11, 2006 12:01 pm

Monica,

That's why I like SmugMug...but it does cost $29.95 a year or something like that...but it's worth it.

Also....just as a FYI....if you right-click on any photo that you find on any website, you can copy and paste the Properties to use it as a link and/or save it as a file.

KarenZ

mm wrote:
Stacy, how did you post that photo? It looks like a website with your name; I have a bunch of photos I'd like to find a way to post and haven't been satisfied yet (Karen's been so kind to post for me a couple times). Yours comes up wtih just the photo and no advertising and I like that.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:44 pm

Lots of good end-of-year things for Antje! :)

Midnight Special Favorites of 2006

Folk Alley's Top 10 CDs of 2006

KarenZ

mm

Postby mm » Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:23 am

Terrific news from Ralph's desk about Antje:

Antje Duvekot's (AN-tyuh Doo-va-kot) debut studio release "Big Dream Boulevard" ( Black Wolf Records ) has been picked as #1 on the Boston Globe's "Top Ten Folk Releases of 2006"!

Also:
-National Public Radio's Folk Alley's Top Ten of 2006"
-WUMB "Top 100 Artists"
-Rick Warren's Midnight Special's "Favorites of 2006"

You go, girl!!!!!

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:29 pm

I also saw this on www.boston.com I can't seem to get their links to work, but it is on the left, you will see a picture of Antje that will link you to rest of the article.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:37 am

This might be the same article that Bonnie linked. The article, written by Joan Anderman, is from yesterday's Boston Globe. Eight individual Globe music critics make their 2006 "lists". Antje is #1 on Scott Alarik's list.

The best CDs of 2006: In a year without that one big disc critics find riches in many corners.

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Dec 19, 2006 9:16 am

Yeah, Antje!!!

I'm probably stating the obvious here........but if you click on the this link and begin to read the article, you will notice quickly there are many short pages to click through: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 next........you know what i mean.

Honestly, only recently did I even think, when reading a piece that's broken up like that, that clicking on the "printer friendly version" button
lays it all out for you to read in one uninterrupted page.

That's my psa for the day. :wink:
paddy

danaj

Postby danaj » Tue Dec 19, 2006 10:10 am

And I'm excited to say that I will *finally* get a chance to hear Antje live. Norman has such a wonderful arts community. And Antje will be coming to our Winter Wind concert series this year!!! WOOT!!! (Oh, and thanks BeckyG for the heads-up!) Looking at the line-up, I agree that they should definitely consider changing the name to the "Friends of Ellis Paul Concert Series" :lol:

Check out http://www.thepas.org
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

gundicus

I may be posting something someone already posted, but...

Postby gundicus » Wed Jan 03, 2007 3:55 am

If this has already been posted here you'll have to grin & bear it. It's very early in the a.m. & I can barely see, let alone think...but I just checked Antje's page & saw this & HAD to do a HAPPY DANCE! WHEN was the LAST time ANYONE from an indie label beat Mr. Springsteen out for a slot on the 'best of' lists, I ask you????? WAHOO!!!!! GO ANTJE!!!!!!

Antje Duvekot #1 Folk Release in 2006- Boston Globe
Monday, December 18th, 2006
Top Ten Folk Releases of 2006
The Boston Globe- Scott Alarik

1. Antje Duvekot
2. Bruce Springsteen
3. Various,"Friends of Old time Music"
4. Kris Delmhorst
5. Muireann Nic Amhlaoibh
6. Paul Simon
7. Various, "The harry Smith Project"
8. Mark Erelli
9. Gordon Bok
10. The Kennedys

Man, this is just so super! I could not be more happy for her. She is so massively talented & such a brilliant lyricist - I think E was right - she's got a HUGE future in front of her!
I'm very excited b/c she's going to be in the area right around my b-day - so i'm going to check her out again when she comes around - think i'll start saving now to go to both shows...gotta hear "Judas' live at LEAST twice!!!!
Best to all,
Gundy-
"To see what is takes only human eyesight; to see what could be requires vision" - CB

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Jan 07, 2007 11:12 pm

Moved this from another thread.

Nance wrote:Hi Everyone,

I'm sure that Shari will have lots of details, but I just wanted to say that Antje's performance tonight at The Uptown Coffeehouse in the Bronx was stellar!!! Antje was a bit short on sleep and was concerned that it was affecting her performance...not the case at all! She had us all mesmerized with familiar and new songs...Antje just keeps getting better and better! :D
Nancy

care

solo?

Postby care » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:24 am

anyone know if she'll be performing "solo" anywhere, not that i dont' enjoy watching her open for other people- but i'd love to see / hear someone open for her- anyone know how long it takes for an artist to stop being an opening act and finally get their own show? possibly a question ellis can answer?

care

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Jan 08, 2007 11:30 am

She is playing a "co/bill" with Flynn in Mansfield MA on Feb 2nd.

A co-bill usually means each performer does an equal set, but not always. Hope that helps.

http://www.rosegardenfolk.com/

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:53 pm

I enjoyed reading the recent post about Antje performing on too little sleep. She was concerned it might have affected her performance.

I'm sure it was great.

Looking back over my own life, some of my best days were somehow connected to sleep deprivation of one kind or another.

Looking forward to seeing Anjte and Ellis at Tin Angel on the 20th. :D
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Mon Jan 15, 2007 10:57 am

Antje was brilliant Saturday, January 13, and pure genious, Sunday, January 14th, when she opened for sold-out shows of hometown favorites, Eddie from Ohio,at the 500+ seat Birchmere in Alexandria, VA.

Her reported fatigue Saturday night from a late drive back from Maine Friday night (she opened for some folk-singing guy up in Boothbay, you know, Ellis Paul?) was not in the least bit discernable. She opened with Dandelion, followed by Judas, Pearls, Christian Boys, and South. Being in what I consider to be the deep South, I was anxious the crowd might not really appreciate her homage to our less-than esteemed leader, but my worries were unwarrented. The crowd really enjoyed her and I think appreciated her voice, playing, and lyrics. More importantly, the staff, who serve 250 shows a year and are somewhat jaded critics, really thought she was terrific. She sounded brilliant.

Saturday must have just been the warm-up though. Last night was absolutely magical. I could tell from the very first note that she was spot-on and that we were in for a really special performance. Her voice was not only as beautiful as ever, but rich, running deep with emotion and conviction. Her lead-ins and stories were delivered with perfect timing and intonation. I especially enjoyed the story about playing a scrabble-like game with conservative, fundalmentalist cousins as a child.

Antje opened with Dandelion, basically about a boy who failed to requite her crush. She followed that with a relatively new tune, Hero, basically about a boy who failed to return her crush. Next up was Jerusalem; KATE KLIM happened to be in town and joined Antje on stage on keyboard and harmony. Antje described Jerusalem as "A different kind of Middle East conflict song, different from all the other Middle East conflict songs topping the charts." The blend of Antje's and Kate's voices is really special.

Pearls followed Jerusalem, introduced by the story of Antje seeking religious advice from a wise-beyond-his years seven year old at the Kerrville Folk Festival who told her "There's a little Catholic in everyone." Antje ended her set with Opium, basically about a boy who failed to requite her crush. That seemed to be a consistent theme for the evening, and it definitely fit my mood.

I don't even have words to describe how powerful each of these songs was. The crowd on Sunday night really seemed to love Antje, and that's not just my biased opinion. The staff I chatted with said that openers there rarely get such appreciation. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention one of the most uncanny aspects of the whole set: Antje channeled Ellis! It was amazing; she looked just like him whenever she hummed anything. You know that look, lips pursed and in a slightly mischievious grin, brows raised and furrowed, eyes wide-open, like when he plays Roll-Away-Bed. It was unbelievable.

On a final note, my five-year-old asked me, "Is Antje Duvekot an angel?" I said absolutely. She then wanted to know if Antje flies with her wings. I said, "No, she sings with them," which I think just about sums it up.
Last edited by Sue Ellen on Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jan 15, 2007 12:33 pm

Wow, Sue Ellen. Thanks for the report. Sounds like you had a wonderful weekend of music! :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:43 pm

Yes thanks for the report and so glad that your youngster enjoyed it so much too. In England we only tend to get children at festivals, very rarely do they seem to get taken to any other types of concerts.

Our friend Simon, who runs house concerts has an 8 year old and she loves being involved in the music and being with the artists. In fact when Christene LeDoux last performed, the pair had been rehearsing and did a duet together. She has occasionally been at 'grown up' concerts and its great to see children involved.

Jela

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Jan 15, 2007 7:05 pm

I wish I could write reviews like that. :?

It sounds like a great weekend. I'm glad you enjoyed. 8)

shari

Postby shari » Mon Jan 15, 2007 8:14 pm

Well....Jen told me that there was a review of Antje up here that I had to read and she was right. :-) Great review Sue Ellen and I could not agree more that Antje is an Angel....a real one...and if you know me and my conflicted religion stuff, that's really saying something. :-)

Shari

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:27 pm

Just wanted to let you all know that 'Diamond on your hand' was played last night by Bob Harris on BBC Radio 2 - its the 3rd time he's played a track from 'Big Dream Boulevard'

He also mentioned that 'Ellis Paul had said ''I think she's going to be the next great American folk singer-songwriter."

Excellent exposure for her.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:33 am

Folks,

HEADS UP! Antje is doing a live in-studio WUMB Guest Mix this Friday (Jan. 26) at 9am EST! According to the WUMB website "she traces her musical journey with host Dick Pleasants." Gee.....I wonder if her guest mix will include any Ellis Paul? ;)

Antje's guest mix will repeat on Sunday, Jan. 28, 2007 at 3pm EST

KarenZ

emilyg

Postby emilyg » Tue Jan 23, 2007 3:39 pm

Karen-
Did I hear correctly that you are coming to OK for Antja's show in March???? Looking forward to seeing you!! I also heard Richard and Jela are making the trip - I'll be happy to finally meet you!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:23 pm

Emily,

I love finding reasons to travel to Oklahoma. ;)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:08 am

Emily - yes our flights are booked! We're coming over for SXSW and the opportunity to see Antje at the end of our stay in the US was just too good an opportunity to pass up as well as meeting up with Karen and Becky again. We look forward to meeting you too.

Jela

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jan 24, 2007 11:30 am

What a fantastic double bill!!

Antje Duvekot and Flynn :mrgreen:

Saturday, February 10th, 2007
Rose Garden Coffeehouse
17 West Street
Mansfield, MA
508-699-8122
www.rosegardenfolk.com

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jan 26, 2007 8:37 am

Folks,

Don't forget! This is coming up just a short 90 minutes from now! :)

KarenZ

KarenZ wrote:Folks,

HEADS UP! Antje is doing a live in-studio WUMB Guest Mix this Friday (Jan. 26) at 9am EST! According to the WUMB website "she traces her musical journey with host Dick Pleasants." Gee.....I wonder if her guest mix will include any Ellis Paul? ;)

Antje's guest mix will repeat on Sunday, Jan. 28, 2007 at 3pm EST

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jan 26, 2007 11:01 am

Folks,

Here is a re-cap of Antje’s WUMB guest mix this morning:

She said Dylan is “such a poet” and that “his poetry leaves so much open space” where you can interject your day.

1. Bob Dylan – “Gates of Eden”

She discovered Dar Williams in college and was blown away when she heard Dar singing about depression and being in therapy - Dar seemed so real and vulnerable…and was the most valuable role model. “Her music made me do what I do”.

2. Dar Williams – “what do you hear in these sounds”

Ani DiFranco gave her the go-ahead to say whatever she wanted when she heard Ani sing “I wonder can these boys smell me bleeding through my underwear”

3. Ani DiFranco – “blood in the boardroom”

Influenced by Ellis, John Gorka, Patty Griffin, Paul Simon. Spent a year in Vermont where she wrote most of the songs for Big Dream Boulevard She’s a big fan of metaphors….and her interpretation of this Suzanne Vega song is that it’s about the fear of intimacy.

4. Suzanne Vega – “the queen and the soldier”

Dick Pleasants says that Antje is an emerging songwriter then corrects himself and says she has emerged.

Antje continues – Dan Bern has a unique mind…he appears sorta rambling but there’s so much in his rambling….in this song he talks about how human beings falter. One of the songs she wishes she had written.

5. Dan Bern – “God said no”

She does have political themes that run through her songs. She likes songs that deal with the conundrum of god and universe. She lived “internally” for a year in Vermont that was great for artistic purposes. Although she’s not very familiar with all of Richard Thompson’s songs, she loves this song – about a lost child woman – she sees herself in this song – going back to her dandelion song – the way Richard Thompson paints the picture is skillfully done.

6. Richard Thompson – ‘bee’s wing”

She’s completely nuts about Kenny White.

7. Kenny White – “5 girls”

Ends with a new Paul Simon song.

8. Paul Simon – “wartime prayers”

Dick Pleasants plugs her upcoming show with Paul Brady at the Sanders Theater on Feb. 8. Antje loves the Sanders Theater. She also loves WUMB and says after she's been away, she feels like she's coming home when she hears WUMB.

KarenZ

Return to “Looking for My Friends”