Antje Duvekot

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Antje Duvekot

Postby KarenZ » Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:31 am

Folks,

Here's an article about Antje published today in a Scotland newspaper - The Herald. Not surprising that Antje mentions EP. :)

The Herald

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:12 am

That's one of the best articles on Antje I've ever read! :)

Hats off to Rob Adams of The Herald who wrote the piece.

Thanks Karen, as always! :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:12 am

We’ve been to see Antje in concert the past two evenings as she wends her way through England and Scotland on her current tour.

Wednesday’s set list was:

The Fox (Traditional)
Dublin Boys
Deportee (Woody Guthrie)
Dandelion
Vertigo (new) aka The Near Demise of the Punch-drunk Tightrope Dancer (co-write with Mark Erelli)
Against the Law (Woody Guthrie)
Lighthouse (new)
Long Way
Merry-go-round
Coney Island (?new)
They all Laughed (Gershwin)
Brown Eyed Handsome Man (Chuck Berry) w/ref to 'he got elected!' as a tribute to Obama
Judas
Kathy's Song (Paul Simon)

-

Encore - Dead Horse Trampoline (request)

We were with our friends who run House Concerts and their 9yr old daughter, she loves ‘Dead Horse Trampoline’ and requested it for the encore – I blame Richard as he had asked Antje to sing it when she was at their house last year and their daughter just loves it!

Thursday’s set list:

Kathy's Song (Paul Simon)
Alabama Fields (Richard’s request, unrecorded song) We heard her sing this in Boston in the summer and were so disappointed to learn that it hasn’t made the CD cut.
Deportee (Woody Guthrie)
Vertigo (will be on the forthcoming CD)
Pearls
Reasonland
Ballad of Penny Evans (Steve Goodman)
Coney Island (to be on new CD)
Brown Eyed Handsome Man (Chuck Berry)
South
Dandelion
Long Way
They all Laughed (George Gershwin)
Lighthouse (to be on new CD)
The Fox (Traditional)
Opium
Merry-go-round

Encore
Anna (request)
Diamond on your Hand (my request)

Both evenings were wonderful with as you can see a mix of her own songs including some new ones from the forthcoming CD which will be out in about a month – she said that she’s thinking of calling it ‘The Near Demise of the Punch – drunk Tightrope Dancer’ which I think is a wonderful title.

I didn’t post after last Thursday’s London show as things didn’t go quite to plan but as she has been very open with audiences I don’t think that she’ll mind me paraphrasing what she’s saying publicly on stage – when she arrived in London last week, she didn’t have the right paperwork and was held at immigration for ten hours, almost on the point of being put back on a plane to the US she happened to mention the fact that she was also a German citizen – phew! that saved her from being deported – hence her reason for singing Guthrie’s ‘Deportee’

She is lovely and I’m so pleased that UK audiences are beginning to get to know her and her music. That article in the Herald is great, well researched and well written - I'm sure it will help encourage the Scottish audiences to go see her.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:25 am

Jela,

Sounds lovely! Thanks for the report. :) Looking forward to her new CD next year.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:47 am

Antje's myspace tour dates reveals:

Mar 19 2009 7:30P
CD Release Show at Club Passim! Cambridge, Massachusetts
Mar 20 2009 7:30P
Mar 21 2009 7:30P

8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:50 am

Heads up Greater Philadelphia.......this Friday night at Burlap and Bean in Newtown Square, Pa.

Burlap and Bean

Burlap and Bean welcomes David Janes and Antje Duvekot.
A special double feature.

Philadelphia singer/songwriter David Janes will be promoting his new EP "the Kill-a-Man Sessions". (David's music brings to mind Jeff Buckley, Neil Young, Over the Rhine and the Replacements all rolled into one). Faithfully backed by Nathan Gonzalez on keyboard, guitar and accordion, David is often praised for a strong presence and intensity while performing. Nathan gives the songs the delicate balance they need. Together, they share a natural chemistry and are driven by an intense desire to not only make a name for themselves in this industry but to leave a mark on music lovers amongst both the vast urban sprawl and the anonymous suburbs. Don't miss your chance to see this duo.

Antje Duvekot has solidified her reputation as one of America’s top emerging singer songwriters with “Big Dream Boulevard” her debut studio release. The CD was produced by Seamus Egan, founder of the Irish super group, SOLAS. The project was released on acclaimed songwriter Ellis Paul’s label, Black Wolf Records and has quickly attracted international attention for Antje. This release was voted "Top 10 Releases of the Year" by National Public Radio’s, Folk Alley. Her songs feel at once fresh faced and firmly rooted, driven by the whispery sensuality of her voice.
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:36 pm

Thanks for the heads up Paddy,Antje is a def. must see for me. I know my family in the area is heading out of town this weekend, but.. Antje will be in my "town" a few weeks from now.... I 'll be talking bout it for sure....

Hope you can make it out Friday for this one.. dress warm and report back how it all goes...I believe Ellils was in the state of PA when he was first introduced to Antje's talent and music :P And that is something I am really grateful for.. :)
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jan 15, 2009 11:51 am

Patti

Will definitely try and make it over to the Burlap and Bean to catch Antje's show......

and you know me, If I can make it over to Newtown Square, I'll definitely be talking about it, here :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 16, 2009 10:36 am

Antje's new release is on the horizon....March 19th release date......here's the cover!!! 8)

The Near Demise of the Highwire Dancer

Also....from Antje:

lastly, and i've already mentioned this, but the biggest new item in my microcosm is: richard shindell produced my new record which should be out barely after christmas (- yes, brilliant marketing!). it's called 'the near demise of the highwire dancer'. richard also played and sang on it. as did john gorka, mark erelli, duke levine, lucy kaplansky and so many more. it came out just marvelous. Check back at my website, we should be setting up to pre-orders very soon.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:04 pm

For those on Antje's email list.....exciting news awaits!! :D

Just learned the new release is done and available for preorder.......2 songs for preview, too! 8)

Long Way and Vertigo

You can now preorder at CDFreedom:

The Near Demise of the Highwire Dancer

Philly show tonight at Burlap and Bean in Newtown Square, Pa at 8pm...... :D

Burlap and Bean
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:22 pm

Paddy,

One of your favorites, John Gorka, sings with her on "Long Way". :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:33 pm

Thanks for the heads up Paddy - just listened to both songs (wonderful) and am really looking forward to the new CD.

Enjoy the show later and please post a report.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 16, 2009 5:49 pm

Thanks Jela.......got our tix...pre-ordered the cd....all set to go!!! :D

Antje went from not being able to speak legibly to the man (Gorka) to him singing on her new record.

Fitting that he sings on Long Way. :wink:
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Jan 16, 2009 7:20 pm

love the 2 song sampler... Long Way is a favorite, one I always shout out as a request :lol: to which she is happy to oblige..

Antje is due to play Stone Soup on Feb. 14th... hmm.. should I preorder or just wait to get the CD that night?? hhmm... tuff decision.....

I noticed that some of the upcoming tour dates on her website have lines drawn threw them :?: first thought it was just one show cancelled but then most of them have lines.. (did you all see that) just hope it doesn't mean she is cancelling her tour?? would make sense would it..

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:05 am

Antje opened the show tonight with a cover of Paul Simon's Kathy's Girl...... 8)

Burlap and Bean is a wonderful listening venue in a strip mall that I'd guess is similar to the Bluebird Cafe in Nashville. Shout out to Patty for her part in getting Tara to book Antje. I was impressed with soundman and emcee, singer songwriter Kyle Swartzwelder who had the sound just right. Also impressive was the way the door person who would not allow folks to enter until the artist was between songs as the entrance was near the stage. She'd pop up and outside to advise folks they had to wait lest they distract artist and audience. Just the little extra attention to detail that shows they're serious about being a listening venue. The place was cozy and intimate, comfy chairs and couches by the fireplace......really nice.

Antje talked about the new record just finished and how she's really pleased with the results. Great stories about a road trip with Anais Mitchell, her family in heated debate on current middle east conflict, and feeling somewhat responsible for America's current economic crisis..... :lol:

Antje was amazing tonight, playing:

Kathy's Girl -- Paul Simon
Dublin Boys
Jerusalem
Against the Law -- Woody Guthrie
Dandelion
Vertigo -- outstanding title track of the near demise of the punch drunk highwire dancer
Judas -- request
Long Way
Merry Go Round

Had a great time talking music with our tablemate who was quite the music person, herself. She knew all about Ellis Paul. She handles promotions for the Landsdowne Folk Club with upcoming shows including Bill Staines and Steve Gillette. Safe to say we were in good company tonight. :D

Tour note: Antje joins forces with Ellis Paul tomorrow night in West Field, New Jersey....ya never know!!! :wink:

Ellis Paul and Antje Duvekot at Coffee with Conscience in Westfield New Jersey
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:26 pm, edited 6 times in total.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:34 am

Thanks for the report Paddy - sounds like you had a lovely evening.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jan 17, 2009 10:51 am

It really was a wonderful evening with Antje up first, followed by a young man taking his songs to a public stage for the very first time. He was the night's headliner, David Jane's little brother, although little he ain't. With an aw shucks I;m going to give this ol thang a go, Steve? Avery commenced upon seeing if this life was any fun. He was nervous as get out -- but I have to tell ya -- his self depracating style drew ya right in.

All the while, Antje Duvekot is sitting right there front row center......I heard him tell Antje after the show how much he enjoyed her songs and even more her ability to tell lil tidbits about herself and what the songs were about. I kidded the young man after his set that his dad would have the set up on Youtube by morning. He said his Dad got a new Movie camera for Christmas and was going all out. I'd call the kid's look a cross between Bonanza's Hoss Cartwright (Dan Blocker) and Clark Gable or Kirk Douglas. As Don Henley once said......."boy's got charisma" -- I told his dad after the show he draws ya in to his world.

On to the evening's closer, David Janes. A nice 4 piece band with David up front looking a bit like Ryan Adams but sounding uniquely himself as he delivered song after song in alt country no depression style that sounded oh so fine backed by friends on upright bass, percussion, and keys. The girl on keys sang beautiful backgorund vocals which at times reminded of Damien Rice and Lisa Hannigan. Another fine set.

How the two brothers managed to perform at all.......with Antje sitting right there in front, impressed me. That Antje hung out and gave the boys the attention and ear they deserved amazed me, too.

Great night, indeed. Ended with me waiting (although my wife calls it stalking :P ) to ask Antje the title of the song she opened with. I asked too many questions about the song (was it Paul Simon or Simon and Garfunkel? I can be such a geek nerd in the presence of coolness :oops: ) Antje was all llike "too many questions" I don't really know, I heard Shawn Colvin do it once....mea culpa Antje, mea culpa. :oops: She said I looked familiar but wasn't sure from where... so I went over the last few times we got to say hello. Told her I would try to make the show tonight in New Jersey.

Get out to see her folks, she is simply amazing! :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 10, 2009 12:00 pm

Just rec'd an email from cdfreedom saying my copy of the new release has been shipped.... 8)
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:49 pm

And I thought I was going to be the first to get it this Saturday night when she plays at Stone Soup. Ya know, if the US Postal Service were to mess up, I just might get it first!!

The sample songs she has sent along in her newsletter all sound great to me. :D

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:46 pm

Antje's new one arrived today, the artwork is beautiful, I'm a few songs in and I can tell I'm going to be playing and enjoying it for the forseeable future. As good as the songs sound on the internet samples we've been able to peruse it's even better here on the old home stereo.

Just call me scoop!!! :lol:

......more to come :wink:
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:51 am

I'm so glad I postponed vacation plans till tomorrow so I could see Antje at Stone Soup tonight. She put on a wonderful show... the sound was great... and the songs, new and old, (and a few covers) were all superb....

It was a good size crowd (especially considering some local competition) and Valentines Day and all, so I was happy to see that.
She told some funny stories between songs, though they seem to just slip out rather than planned, which makes them more endearing. (imho:)

Got the new CD which looks and sounds fabulous..

I don't do set lists.. but I know she played

Scream, Vertigo, Dublin Boys, Merry Go Round, Coney Island all from the new CD... She also did Sex Bandaid, Opium , Jerusalem, Pearls, Judas, Dandelion, (the anti Valentine song) and a few others.. A cover of Leonard Cohen and she also did Penny Evens.. She also did another great cover song, Brown Eye Handsome Man...which I had never heard before, was just the "cutest" song, I love how she sneaks Obamas name in there.. A quick google search tonight shows it has been covered by LOTS of fine folks!!

Great night, great artist.. get her new CD and get to one of her show soon!!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Feb 15, 2009 7:48 am

Thanks for the report Patti - we are awaiting delivery of the new CD and hope that it pops through our letterbox this coming week.

'Brown Eyed Handsome Man' is a Chuck Berry song and she also played it when we saw her in the UK which was just after the US election in November so it was very topical then as she also inserted a reference to Obama within the song.

Hope that she makes a return trip to the UK at some stage in the not too distant future.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Feb 15, 2009 11:04 am

Patti....thanks for the Stone Soup report. You are now free to roam around the country (sorry....the boy can't help it, :lol: a shameless plug for Southwest Airlines :oops: ) in other words -- enjoy your vacation!!! :)

Quite right, the CD looks and sounds great! Richard Shindell's production is superb!!! 8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Feb 22, 2009 11:33 am

Antje's new CD is amazing!!! Several songs on repeat in the car all weekend. One of the ones I couldn't stop listening to was SCREAM.....didn't mean to scream there but....... :lol: It has radio hit all over it. One of the cool things about this record (besides Antje's amazing voice and songs) is it's like getting a new Richard Shindell record as well. His signature sound (no pun intended..well maybe a little :P ) is all over this record with his brilliant playing and gorgeous singing. The Near Demise of the Highwire Dancer is a must have for fans of Antje Duvekot and Richard Shindell.

Vertigo live at Gravity Lounge
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:44 am

Antje's new CD is still in heavy rotation for me the last few weeks ( hmmm. just thinking about it though if it is on my IPOD should I still be saying rotaion :wink: )

And as Paddy said, Scream kind of gets your attention.. happen to hear it on WERS this morning, which is great because they seem to be playing less and less music that I know (or enjoy) :cry: .

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Mar 09, 2009 10:08 pm

spoiler alert!!! :P
note: **poster's edit at bottom @ grandpa word**

If you are on Antje Duvekot's email list this can be seen in your inbox. If not on her list, sign up soon for the latest tour dates and in this case, notes from the road!!! 8) Without further ado...here's Antje.

mystique-enhancement vs. the boring truth

hi folks,

greetings from the road. the glory continues. today i'm at a hotel near the nashville airport. so, let's face it, these blogs are inherently problematic. they are designed to let fans in on our day to day/ stream of consciousness as touring artists, but if we really told you the skinny, i'm almost certain that our mystique would take a bad beating. so to protect you from de-mythification, i have devised 2 blogs for you today. one is the boring truth and the other is the mystique -enhanced version. you can choose which one you have the stomach for.

xoxo, antje

THE BORING TRUTH

Nashville 2:30pm
i've been pondering a conundrum. wafflehouse or jack in the box. either seems equally disgusting but i am stuck at this hotel on a highway and those are the only options in walking distance. i have been here for 2 days waiting for lucy wainright roche to pick me up. she's providing the car for the tour we're about to embark on together. the "Wimpy Women in Music" tour as we've privately christened it after a coffeehouse volunteer told us last month that lucy and i oughtta appear on this program called "Powerful Women in Music". Lucy is Rufus Wainwright's sister. her voice and songs and stage presence are terrific. so i hope you come out to see us together this week. i am already in nashville in this holding-pattern because i just came off of playing "cayamo,journey through song" a music cruise out of miami. so it didnt make sense to fly home. many of my heroes were also playing on the cruise (lyle lovett, indigo girls, patty griffin, shawn colvin, john hiatt, kathleen edwards, glenn phillips to mention just a few). on one day, they took all the artists to a private island. on the boat ride i sat next to patty griffin and shawn colvin and the whole time i didn't say a word to them (this is my way of expressing that i really want to meet them more than anything in the world - it's a shy-person thing!). great story i know. you wanted to know the truth. my new album "the near-demise of the highwire dancer" is receiving extremely good support from radio. people seem to like it.

THE MYSTIQUE-ENHANCED VERSION

greetings from beautiful sunny nashville! music city, nashvegas. home of the grand ole opry! life is great. after my afternoon massage, before i hit the night life, i reckon i'll order room service. sushi. this is the start of a tour with myself and the world-famous lucy wainwright roche. if you can even secure a pair of tickets, i hope to see you at one of the shows. well, having fun surely is exhausting. myself and patty griffin and shawn colvin partied hard on the "cayamo" music cruise we headlined last week. patty said she wished she were as out-going as me. my new record is f%*&ing amazing. anyway, gotta go work on developing that drug habit i've been working on.... ciao ciao

Ps-don't forget to come to my cd release parties. To see and be seen. If you don't live close enough, you may order the cd and throw it a private event when it arrives in its envelope.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:50 am

Brilliant! Sure put a smile on my face this morning.

Oh and Antje's 'Dublin Boys' was played on Bob Harris BBC Radio 2 Saturday night - yes!

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:27 am

I see that Passim's has just announced another Antje show for next weekend!! Good to see tickets (and hopefully her new CD are selling well )...I wonder if the newly introduced beer and wine option at Passim is helping all ready. I think last night might have been the first night of liquor sales..

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Mar 15, 2009 11:36 am

http://www.boston.com/ae/food/restauran ... and_brews/

Not sure this is the easiest way to see the link but this story was at Boston.com about Passim serving beer and wine now.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Mar 17, 2009 10:02 am

Folks,

Antje will be on WUMB's Live at Noon this Friday, March 20, 2009. I'll post another reminder later in the week.

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Mar 17, 2009 4:46 pm

Antje is close to selling out her FOURTH show this week at Passim. :shock: :mrgreen:

There are a few seats left at the recently added late show on Saturday but the rest are gone baby gone. Sold out!! I remember the first time I saw her there, as a guest of Elllis' one New Years show. I am happy to see such a talented woman become so successful.

p.s. for those lucky enough to score tickets to the Thurs show, Flynn is opening. Enjoy and please post a report. :D
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

SusanH

Postby SusanH » Fri Mar 20, 2009 12:58 pm

Hey All-

I went to the first night of Antje's 4 night record release party at Club Passim last night.

She started of the night holding up the new cd, welcoming us to the party and saying to the cd, "I declaire you released"

set list:
Vertigo
Lighthouse
Dublin Boys - these first three songs had Meg Hutchinson singing back up
Pearls - with Chris O'Brien
Reasonland
Dandelion
Deportee - Woody Guthrie
Scream
Jeruselam
Coney Island
Me and a Gun - Tori Amos - sung acapella
Butterfly (not sure I have the name of this one correct...sorry)
Sex Bandaid
Merry Go Round
Encore:
Longway

It was a great show her, the first of 4 sold out shows. I'm sure this will be a huge success for her!

I should also mention her very talented guitar/mandolin player, he was with her for most of the songs, I know his first name was Sean, but I could never catch his last name....sorry Sean (Shawn).
Susan

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:16 am

Folks,

Here's a streaming of Antje's CD release show at Joe's Pub in NYC last week:

Antje Duvekot at Joe's Pub - Mar. 18, 2009

KarenZ

care

Postby care » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:19 pm

i was at the late show saturday night - what a great time! i'll post set list and review shortly!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:59 pm

that would be great, care.....will await your report.... 8)

meanwhile...enjoy this youtube of Antje live at the Evening Muse in Charlotte, NC

Jerusalem
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:08 pm

care wrote:i was at the late show saturday night - what a great time! i'll post set list and review shortly!

I believe Adam Ezra opened this show. :mrgreen:

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:59 am

Ever wanted to be two places at once? Well, that was me last night! I didn't see Antje at her CD release party last night at Burlap and Bean in Newtown Square, Pa. I'm sure it was great, and ask pretty please if any readers of the forum were there to please consider posting a few words. Thanks in advance, as always.

The dog ate my homework?

Nah....Some old hometown heartstrings were buzzin and tuggin down another road.
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Sat Mar 28, 2009 3:34 pm, edited 15 times in total.
paddy

care

Postby care » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:02 am

ok i'm soooo sorry i haven't reposted the set list but i've been crazy busy... so busy in fact that i have just a second to jot this note down and run out the door!

i'll find my notebook and post this afternoon i promise!!

oh and bonuela - lizanne knott opened that night not adam ezra :)
sorry to burst your adam ezra love bubble ;)

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:26 pm

Hey gang!

Saw Antje open for Natalia Zukerman at Schubas last night. Antje's voice is so amazing. She is so sweet.

Apparently the rest of Natalia's family from New York was in Chicago for other performances last night - Natalia said it was probably the first time ever that happened and that she felt like she was had a curfew or something.

Antje said something about shopping in Evanston earlier in the day with Natalia (and I assume Natalia's family) and at some point Antje and Natalia were talking about pasties - and not the one's from the Upper Peninsula of Michigan - that's some kind of pastry thing to eat... I know.... That's what I thought when I was driving through the U.P. last fall. The signs said "Come in to try our Pasties!" I think not! Anyway their banter was quite funny.

As for the shopping trip, Antje looked stunning in her new outfit - if a guy's allowed to say that... here, on this forum.

Here's her set list:

Penny Evans
Pearls
Vertigo
Lighthouse
Dublin Boys
Dandilion
Jerusalem
The Long Way
Diana's Song
Merry-go-round
Sweet Spot [a new song in progress]

I must confess that I didn't do a very good job writing down Natalia's set list - I'm not a familiar with her music as I am with Antje's. We saw Natalia open for Ellis in Kentucky once - she's really sweet.

I did get the final duet from The Girls written down - it started something like this...

Are you gonna take me home tonight?
Ah down beside that red firelight
Are you gonna let it all hang out?
Fat bottomed girls
You make the rockin world go round

What fun and what a treat.

We said hey to Antje and passed on our regards (RK) and we got a signed copy of Antje's new disk which is really great.

That's about it.

See ya.
Dean

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:05 am

Dean, thanks for the recap of Antje's show....very much appreciated as I missed her latest release show here in our neck of the woods a few weeks ago. I did happen to ask and hear back from Tara who books shows at Burlap and Bean and she let me know that they sold out the show and that it was gorgeous!!! Oh yeah, I've passed the name Ellis Paul on to her on my wishlist of folks to see play there. Natch! :wink:
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:36 pm

care wrote:oh and bonuela - lizanne knott opened that night not adam ezra :)
sorry to burst your adam ezra love bubble ;)

first: his tourpage listed him as there that night. :?
second: those that have not seen him perform have no right to make fun of my love bubble. just ask dean. :mrgreen:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:20 am

It's official now. My favorite song on Antje's new CD is "The Lighthouse". I've made that determination because I am unable to stop listening to it.....:)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:52 pm

Antje Duvekot live performing Coney Island at a house concert in Minneapolis.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:18 am

KarenZ wrote:It's official now. My favorite song on Antje's new CD is "The Lighthouse". I've made that determination because I am unable to stop listening to it.....:)

KarenZ

Here ya go Miss Kitty! :wink:

Antje Duvekot performs Lighthouse at the Rose Garden Coffeehouse, Mansfield, Mass., Oct. 18, 2008
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:09 am

Thanks Paddy! Loved it! :-)

Miss Kitty

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed May 06, 2009 6:45 am

Folks,

Here's a nice review of Antje's new CD (produced by the swoonworthiest) from Minor 7th:

If you could dive into a Kris Delmhorst song and not come up for air once, you'll love Antje Duvekot. She's one of the best singer-songwriters out there, with lyrics rich in metaphor and paired with beautiful melodies. Her voice is a lovely airy soprano that can also dip down for the low notes. When she sings in an upper register, she has that catch in her voice like Catie Curtis does. One of her favorite songwriters, Richard Shindell, produced this album and it shows -- they chose musicians and arrangements that perfectly showcase her bittersweet lyrics. Acoustic instruments hold the spotlight, with touches of electric guitar, drums and pedal steel. The disc opens with "Vertigo," a ballad in waltz time that she co-wrote with Mark Erelli. He sings and plays mandolin, too, lending a sweet innocence to this tune about uncertainty in a relationship: "I will try to hold steady / Wanna make you believe / That the height of this tightrope is just second nature to me / but I will break all my bones / 'cause I lied about the vertigo." It's centered around a steadily strummed acoustic guitar and sweetened with a touch of pedal steel. She picks the tempo in "Ragdoll Princes and Junkyard Queens," a song about chasing love, then follows with another ballad, "Long Way." John Gorka sings on that one. Add a mournful harmonica and words about travel, metaphoric and real, and damn, you've got a great song. "Dublin Boys" is a love song, if you look at it sideways. She must have done something awful to a friend to write "Scream" or perhaps, it's about someone else, because she sings "The only reason I arrive is to leave" then goes on to detail why she's not a good friend. It's biting and the minor key is perfect. "Coney Island" is about a new relationship. I love the simplicity of the arrangement -- her guitar, voice and a bass telling us the story. Ending the disc is a sweetly sung children's song by Gerhardt Schone. It's in German and an English translation would've helped but still, it's beautiful. My only gripe about this beautiful album is that Antje only plays the guitar on three cuts. She wrote most of the songs so I'm assuming that she can play them. I understand how things go in a studio but with self-confessional songs like these, it feels more authentic to have the singer-songwriter play her own instrument.
© Jamie Anderson

KarenZ

RonG

Postby RonG » Thu May 07, 2009 10:52 pm

Ending the disc is a sweetly sung children's song by Gerhardt Schone. It's in German and an English translation would've helped but still, it's beautiful.

Here's a translation of the German song that a friend of mine did:

EYES, EARS AND HEART

Look at the clouds, don't they look like faces?
See when the sun comes up and it gets lighter and lighter
People are running to catch the train, or standing in line at the bakery
Someone loses his hat, everywhere you look there's something to see.

It's good, that you have eyes. Good that you can see.
It's good, that you have eyes. Good that you can see. La la la la la ...

Somewhere an alarm rings, then a coffee machine goes on.
Was that a car horn? The train groans loudly in the tracks.
Father calls you to get out of bed. The clear water trickles in the sink.
There's flute music playing on the radio. You hear it all as you awake.

It's good, that you have ears. Good that you can hear.
It's good, that you have ears. Good that you can hear.

When there's thunder, lightening and it whistles, the windows creak lightly
Mother makes hot cocoa, then you feel warm and cozy.
If a cat runs across your way, give it something to drink and eat.
Stroke it, then it will become your friend. You should never forget your friends.

It's good, you have a heart. Good that you can feel.
It's good, you have a heart. Good that you can feel.
la la la la la....

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri May 08, 2009 7:35 am

thanks RonG
Can't wait til I can listen and read along with the translation...

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri May 08, 2009 7:57 am

Ron,

Welcome and thank you for the translation! I am loving Antje's new CD more and more including the German song....even though I didn't understand the lyrics.....now I will enjoy it even more. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri May 08, 2009 8:33 am

This is awesome!
Thanks Ron....YOU ROCK....Welcome aboard! 8)
Coffee machine indeed!!! What a slueth I am.....
Was so hoping someone would translate this song.
Can anyone tackle the song in Spanish on Richard Shindell's new CD? :P
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”