Antje Duvekot

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jan 31, 2007 11:24 am

Folks,

Another WUMB alert. Antje will be the guest for WUMB's Live at Noon next Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2007 at noon EST. I suspect it's partly promotion for the big show she is doing the following night when opens for Paul Brady at the Sanders Theater in Cambridge. Good for her. Good for us too. :)

I'll try to remember to post another reminder next week...

Link to WUMB

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Wed Jan 31, 2007 7:00 pm

Sue Ellen wrote:On a final note, my five-year-old asked me, "Is Antje Duvekot an angel?" I said absolutely. She then wanted to know if Antje flies with her wings. I said, "No, she sings with them," which I think just about sums it up.

Sue Ellen - love that part of your review - very well said - and a wonderful teaching moment to share with your five-year-old. Thank you for sharing it with us.
I am looking forward to hearing Flynn and Antje - with all three of my children in tow - February 10 at the Rose Garden Coffeehouse.
Jeff

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:08 pm

It looks like Antje is selling her guitar. I remember this one from her CD release show at the Somerville Theatre. It matched her outfit. :D

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0080465031
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Feb 06, 2007 11:25 am

Folks,

Another reminder that Antje will be the guest for WUMB's Live at Noon tomorrow, Wednesday, Feb. 7, 2007 at noon EST.

Link to WUMB

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Becky

Postby Becky » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:42 pm

Oh, I'm glad I looked at the db today! I've been away too long and am trying to catch up here. Thanks, Karen, for the heads up. I've sent out a note to several folks here in Norman to let them know about this. There's lots of us out here who are really excited about Antje coming to Norman next month!!

Becky

danaj

Postby danaj » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:49 pm

Also a thanks for the reminder from me, Karen.

And Becky, how are tickets for Antje's show at The Depot? Any left?
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Feb 07, 2007 2:02 pm

Antje had a bit of a cold, but sounded great nonetheless. :)

She sang:

Christian Boys
Hero
I was Lost
Long Way

Anyone else listen?

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Feb 07, 2007 4:41 pm

I was all tuned in, but the boss came in and wanted to talk... would it have been rude of me to keep my headphones on??!!! I did catch bits and pieces of Hero and all of The Long Way...( I love that song)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Feb 07, 2007 5:13 pm

:lol: Yes, keeping your headphones on would have been a tad rude!

KarenZ

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:23 pm

I don't know - pretty rude to interrupt you during lunch time don't you think ? ;)
Jeff

JennyLevE

listening

Postby JennyLevE » Wed Feb 07, 2007 7:15 pm

I listened and it cheered me up!! :lol:
“Tell me which part
Is it the CASTLE, or the SAND
That you miss when the TIDE comes along?”
-- Ellis Paul

Becky

Postby Becky » Thu Feb 08, 2007 12:13 pm

Karen, I did get to hear a bit although not the entire interview. I don't know why it seems to happen, but whenever there's something I really want to listen to, I'm always interrupted. I heard more of the actual interview and not as much of the songs. She was asked something about her travels and what she did to relax while traveling...she mentioned looking for state parks and getting out to hike around and then was asked about places in particular that might have been highlights...she mentioned Big Sur and how breathtaking that was. Of course, she hasn't been to Oklahoma or I'm sure she would have mentioned our state! :D
Dana, I'm not sure about ticket sales...I'm not at the Depot during the day to take calls and sell tix so don't know, but I do hope to see you there!!
Becky

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Feb 12, 2007 1:51 pm

I saw her on Saturday. It was quite a juxtaposition, hearing Christian Boys and South in front of a giant cross. Kate Klim played keyboards and sang on all of the songs except the duet with Flynn.

At some point Antje tried to be subtle and remove her boots. No such luck. One of them went flying and landed on the keyboards. :lol: Of course seeing as it was Antje, she was wearing socks that matched her skirt perfectly. :D For those folk foot fetishists, she was barefoot by the end of her set.

Here is her setlist:

Heroes ~ a new song
South
Dandelion
Hold On
I Was Lost
Sex Bandaid ~ the title track of her new t-shirts.
Go Now
Diamonds
Christian Boys
Reasonland

~Encore~

Jerusalem
Breathless with Flynn a new song they wrote together

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Feb 14, 2007 6:20 pm

Click Here for the pictures. Enjoy!

(I also posted these in the Flynn thread.)

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:37 am

Here are the links for the videos from this show....

Dandelion ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d-3LDkX-W5Y
Breathless (w/Flynn) ~ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pyU8ngli6Ok

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:04 am

Bonnie,

Wow. Awesome. Thanks Bonnie. They sound good together.....and Antje's outfit is beautiful. :)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Feb 20, 2007 11:35 am

Thanks. I loved her outfit too. She was so pretty in pink. Down to her fuzzy pink boots! :D That was a mighty large cross for her to be singing her questioning/searching religious songs under. I admired that.

I hope to get the Flynn videos up tonight.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:17 am

Seeing Antje on the altar in front of that big cross reminded me of Karla Bonoff coming on "stage" at the Joyful Noise Coffeee House in Lexington (where Ellis will be playing later this spring) looking up at the big cross behind the altar there and saying "What is a good Jewish girl doing singing in a place like this...."
Jeff

care

tupelo

Postby care » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:06 am

did any of the new engladers around here go to the antje / flynn show at tupelo? i really wanted to go but had to work - :(

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:29 pm

Not me. It was too far for a work night. :(

care

flynn opens?

Postby care » Sun Mar 04, 2007 12:07 pm

boo. according to the tupelo site flynn opened for her? i still havn't made my way up to tupelo and i work on the other side of londonderry from it.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:21 pm

I have wanted to journey up to Tupelo for a lng while now but have not been able to manage it the timing is always wrong.

They look likey have a ton of great shows though.
Jeff

mm

Postby mm » Thu Mar 22, 2007 7:18 am

I just posted a YouTube excerpt from Antje's show, with some interview and the song Pearls. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K_PJhYflKps
Enjoy!
Monica

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Mar 22, 2007 9:21 am

Monica,

WOW! :shock: A fabulous video! Love the camera angles and the backdrop colors.....and Antje sounds wonderful. Sue Ellen, a kid-friendly version of your favorite Antje song! PLUS Antje comments on your avatar-song! :)

Thanks Monica! I hope you find time to post others. ;)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:22 am

Monica...

That's a fantastic segment with Antje Duvekot. I played it early this morning on my laptop and without even knowing what I was viewing my wife started singing along with Antje......very cool. I too loved, and quite frankly was caught by surprise when Antje toned down the lyrics a tad.

Thanks for sharing it with us, and I too hope you'll share more. Quick question, are these segments airing in their entirety on TV somewhere?
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:29 am

Paddy,

Here's a link to Monica's TV show listing where/when it's broadcast.

Mostly Rock 'N roll website

Monica, I know you don't like to toot your own horn! :)

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Mar 22, 2007 10:33 am

After our trip to SXSW we travelled to Oklahoma for the Antje show at The Depot, Norman. It was part of the Winter Wind concert series, which BeckyG is heavily involved in.

Show was due to start at 7pm and at 5pm still no word as to whether she had made her flight - the previous night she was due to perform at Tulsa but because of the heavy snow in Boston, her flight didn't take off so she had to cancel that one.

Well, she arrived a little after approx 6.15pm via a circuitous route but her guitar didn't! Some frantic phone calls and a guitar was found. She did a quick sound check and was ready to start on time.

She played to a packed house, capacity is 100 although, not wanting to turn anyone away, a few more than 100 watched the show. She sang for an hour then took a break returning for a second set which finished at 9pm. I didn't write a set list but she included the songs that you'd be familiar with - Jerusalem, Pearls, South, Sex Bandaid, Go Now, Dandelion. A rendition for the Okies of Woody Guthrie's Oklahoma Hills and a funny song called 'Dead Horse Trampoline'.

After the horrendous journey, lack of sleep the previous evening she was very, very tired but she was wonderful - amusing and kept the audiences' full attention throughout. She was rewarded with a standing ovation. CD sales were brisk and I think that she developed lots of new fans that night.

It was well worth making the detour to see her - we do hope that she comes to the UK - she has had national radio play so we will keep our fingers crossed.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:06 am

Jela,

I can't imagine there could be two songs with the title "dead horse trampoline" :) so I suspect it's a song that I know from Justin Roth's CD Shine:

Justin Roth lyrics

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Mar 22, 2007 11:32 am

Karen - yes that is the song she sung!

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Mar 22, 2007 12:32 pm

I heard Antje sing this one once...at a house concert last fall..... and I'd a swore she said she wrote it. I thought at the time, man oh man, this girl is breaking some new ground writing a song this overtly comical and brilliant.

She mentioned Ellis Paul while introducing the song "Dead Horse Trampoline" saying "Ellis had written a Texas Christmas song where armadillos, dead armadillos, feature prominently in the song."

Gave her the inspiration to ( I thought write.....musta been learn) this song. She truly owns this amazing cover. 8)
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:21 pm

I have that Justin Roth CD... it is indeed a strange title for a sweet song!! Though I can do without the visuals on this one!!

JennyLevE

The Mansion -- April 1, 2007

Postby JennyLevE » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:12 am

Antje was great yesterday opening for Ellis at the Mansion (April 1, 2007).

Set List:
1. Dandelion
2. Christian Boys
3. I Was Lost
4. Judas
5. New "Happy" Song – untitled (She said that she was doing an interview and she was asked if all of her songs come from personal experiences. After saying that for the most part they were, her interviewer asked her if she was suicidal and she decided that it was time to write a completely "inauthentic" -- as she called it-- happy song)
6. Pearls (with Ellis Paul)
Encore: Hold On (with Ellis Paul)

She was fantastic!
--Jen
“Tell me which part

-- Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Apr 07, 2007 2:10 am

Saw this on Antje's myspace concert schedule and couldn't help but think how cool it would have been for Antje to play in a lil place we have come to know and love thanks to Ellis. :D

Jun 14 2007 7:30P
Duggan's Waterfront Pub Homer, Alaska

Duggan's, the finest Waterfront Pub bar in Homer, Alaska!!! :D

I'm sure if Ellis ever plays this bar...he'll squeeze it in...... :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Woodsongs Old -Time Radio Hour (audio and video)

Postby KarenZ » Fri Apr 13, 2007 8:44 am

Folks,

Just discovered that you can listen and/or watch archived shows from the Woodsongs Old-Time Radio Hour. Here's the link to Antje's recent performance there on Feb. 26, 2007 (show #431). Sadly, Ellis' performance there (show #122) does not have the audio or video archived. :(

Woodsongs show #431 - Charlie Louvin and Antje Duvekot

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon May 21, 2007 7:47 am

Folks,

WUMB's Live at Noon today will be a re-broadcast of Antje's WUMB member concert recorded in August 2006. :!: If you're not in the Boston (91.9FM) area, you can listen online at 12 noon EST today at:

WUMB

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon May 21, 2007 12:06 pm

Thanks Karen

I was at this concert! I wonder if they will just play the first half hour or certain songs!!

care

passim

Postby care » Mon May 21, 2007 1:55 pm

was anyone else at her passim concert the other night? i'll post a set list as soon as i figure out what i did with that paper...

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 14, 2007 6:57 am

Folks,

Wow. Folk Alley has posted a complete show of Antje's that they recorded at the Beachland Ballroom in Cleveland, Ohio on March 28, 2007. You can listen to it and other "extras" at the link below.

Antje Duvekot at the Beachland Ballroom - March 28, 2007

KarenZ

Becky

Postby Becky » Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:45 am

Thanks, Karen!!! I've been listening....
Antje will be at the Woodyfest this July and am so looking forward to hearing her there......
Becky

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:50 pm

Thanks for the great link Karen. I've been listening to it all day...2 great "new" songs.

Well Ellis and Antje are in the land of the midnight sun...a long way from Club Passim but below is something I read at Antje's website. I had heard about Ellis teasing her about her tatoo but I never heard what it was a tatoo of!!

Passim has always been a huge support in getting Antje's career launched and remains at the top of the list for her favorite place to perform. Antje recently got a tattoo of the Club Passim logo to show her undying love and support!

danaj

Postby danaj » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:27 pm

Having been out of town for a week, I just got a chance to check my email and read this month's Alley Chat. I was so excited to see Antje there and can't wait to hear the concert!!! I'm also very excited to have her coming to Woody Fest this year. Can't wait, can't wait! :D
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jun 28, 2007 4:41 pm

I was just reading through Antje's upcomong shows. She is on her way to England late September/ early October. West Sussex, York, and Wokingham.

www.antjeduvekot.com

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:42 pm

Yep - we've got our tickets, she's playing a house concert at our friends' place which is about 8 miles from home - aren't we the lucky ones?????

Jela

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:01 pm

Richard + Jela wrote:Yep - we've got our tickets, she's playing a house concert at our friends' place which is about 8 miles from home - aren't we the lucky ones?????

Jela

I should have known! :D

Now I challenge you to attend the Flynn show at Passim. :wink:

mm

Postby mm » Thu Jun 28, 2007 10:36 pm

Speaking of Antje, I found out last week that the Mostly Rock 'N Roll show she filmed inour studio for my series won its second of two national video awards this month, the Hometown Awards (a cable access award) and last month won a Pegasus Award of Excellence (a videographers award). I am certain this was due to her incredible presence and all things coming together so well there. Yeah for Antje!

The clip of her I have up on YouTube is from that show, and I will try to get another one up before too long....
Monica

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jun 29, 2007 4:36 am

Bonnie - don't tempt me!!

Monica - many congratulations on the awards.

Jela

JennyLevE

Free Concert

Postby JennyLevE » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:10 am

Antje will be doing a free concert in Madison Square Park (NYC) this coming Sat (Sept. 15) at 4pm :lol: .
“Tell me which part

-- Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:56 am

Monica....congrats on the awards.... :D

Well done!!! 8)

I do like your style..... :wink:
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Oct 02, 2007 3:15 am

We saw Antje at the weekend at a House Concert, well in fact at two House concerts because we went to both the 2pm show and the 7pm show.

It was a double bill with Lizanne Knott - I gather that they have been friends for many years and Lizanne and her husband Glenn own a recording studio where Antje has recorded.

The sets started with Antje doing a solo slot for 30 mins then Lizanne doing a solo slot for a similar amount of time the we had a (dessert) break followed by a joint 1 hour slot where they sang some solos and some songs were duets.

We are not so familiar with Lizanne's music but Antje did a nice range of songs familiar to us from her CDs as well as a brand new song that is untitled at the moment - it sounded great and is about life and times in the US. She also did 'A Fond Kiss' a traditional song by the poet Robert (Rabbie) Burns as well as an acapella Steve Goodman song 'Ballad of Penny Evans'. A wonderful duet of John Prine's 'Angel of Montgomery' was a lovely suprise.

Our friends who run the H/C's have a young 8 yr old daughter who loved the pony songs including 'Dead Horse Trampoline' which Richard encouraged her to request! We had heard Antje sing it at The Depot in Oklahoma in March.

The previous evening Antje + Lizanne had done a live slot on BBC Radio2 which included a duet of 'Jesus + Elvis' - a great song written by Lizanne. That was great exposure for them and will no doubt garner more UK fans.

A simply wonderful way to spend a Sunday. We hope they come back soon!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:07 am

Jela,

Thanks for the report! Now you can say you've seen Antje on two continents. Not sure there are many who can make that claim. :)

Sounds lke a lovely way to spend a Sunday afternoon, indeed! :)

KarenZ

Return to “Looking for My Friends”