Antje Duvekot

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Antje Duvekot

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jun 23, 2006 3:10 pm

Had to re-post this for Lauren. Plus....we simply have to have an Antje thread :!:

Antje Duvekot is featured in the June issue of Acoustic Live.

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Sun Aug 27, 2006 6:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Jun 23, 2006 4:56 pm

Absolutely. She is brilliant on a score of levels.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:23 pm

Karen, We definitely needed another Antje thread. Is there any chance
Antje will be opening shows for Ellis in Texas? Her tour dates appear open while Ellis is in Texas and the venues don't list her name.

Of note : wxpn in Philly is the station of choice in our house. Turned
it on today and guess what was playing? Antje Duvekot's "SOUTH".
Maybe one of my new faves on Big Dream Boulevard, too!
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Sat Jun 24, 2006 2:00 am

Antje! I can't tell you how much BDB has influenced me since, oh, the very day it came out. (Oh yes, folks, I am the proud propieter of the FIRST EVER autographed copy of BDB - signed at Chicky's Fine back in April.)

No EP "Friends" forum would be complete w/o Ms. Duvekot - thanks for adding her, Karen! Can't wait to read the article!
~L~

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jun 24, 2006 8:26 am

Hey, check out this article in this morning's Boston Globe :!:

Rising folk star Antje Duvekot dazzles with charm and talent.

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:24 am

Thanks Karen, great article by Scott Alarik. His name familiar in music circles, producer for a few artists as well as his own music. I've seen his name around, just can't place it.

Started an Antje thread on another website :wink: and was happy to add this review to the discussion.

Can't wait to see her play live again. My Tin Angel review is over on another artist's forum, so I could easily retrieve it and re- post it here.

If that's okay???
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jun 24, 2006 9:37 am

Paddy,

Scott Alarik has been writing for the Boston Globe for years. You may be familiar with his book (published by Black Wolf Press) Deep Community:Adventures in the Modern Folk Underground which is a compilation of many of his Globe articles. Ellis is prominently featured/pictured. As I recall, he writes the liner notes for at least one of Ellis' early releases.

If you can re-post your Tin Angel review, that would be great :!:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:01 am

Thanks Karen, I knew I'd seen Scott's name before...and I think I mistook him for another Scott, maybe last name Merritt, who did alot of work with Patti Griffin. I LOVE it when I'm wrong here or at least loose with the facts, since I have someone like you watching my back. I wind up learning SO much more...... :D

I'll post my review of Antje at Tin Angel Soon.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jun 24, 2006 10:08 pm

My "first date" with Antje was a bit of a comedy of errors.I showed up on time,tho nutritionally challenged.It was my first time to the Tin Angel.It cost me $20 to public park across from the club.In my mind,food could be ordered and eaten while hearing live music.Alas,only downstairs in the main restaurant.The party got underway as soon as I arrived(naturally!!!).No,really,Antje took the stage to announce the friends who would play for us and the planned flow of the show.

Openers,then Antje,more friends,more Antje.Timing would be crucial,if I was to eat.Lizanne Knott opened.Brad Yoder next.I saw both.Down to order,up to listen more,down to eat.Who knows what I missed?I want to know..maybe I don't.

After inhaling dinner in record time,I got back upstairs as Antje was mid-way thru what I HOPED was her first song.Had been reading enough about her lately that I knew she was singing the song titled ' dandelion '....kinda clueless at the time,ya know,first time to hear her in life...sounded decent enuf.After repeated listens to the new CD "Big Dream Boulevard",it's an instant fave(one of many).So naturally I missed hearing the whole song.

She was unassuming and quite humorous between songs.One thing I found to be cool was the difference between her talking and singing voice.She talked about moving to the US (MARYLAND)at age 12 with no idea how to speak English.(side note by poster:guess where she found solace?....good old female singer songwriters like Shawn Colvin and Natalie Merchant....not a bad way to learn the lingo,imo.)So,she spoke with a playful German accent,but when she sang,much like Mick Jagger or Elton John,the accent disappears and she just sounds like she has lived here all her life.Her voice and guitar invite you to listen.You can't help but accept the invitation.

Cart before the horse? Probably.I have grown to love Antje's artistry in record time.I play the cd daily.All day.
Wishing I had heard it before Tin Angel.

Had I heard her first,I'd of gotten in touch with my feminine side and shown up for "our date" full.

I have a new musical crush,and her name is Antje Duvekot.Tin Angel cd release party last night was my intro to her.Loose setlist in NPO:

dandelion
go now
jerusalem
judas
pearls
south
hold on
request 4 friend (old song)
side of the road (cover)
traditional song???

She was warm,funny between songs and mesmerizing when she sang.Her new cd is Big Dream Boulevard.Got to hear the whole thing on the drive home and I'm liking it.

Brad Yoder accompanied Antje on a few songs playing beautifully on saxaphone.

Antje sounds quite original live,and on this new cd I can't help but think of Shawn Colvin.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hey guys, just lookin back at a few things I said about antje here and over on billdeasy.com. Happy to resurrect them here tonight.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:48 pm

Just over at Antje's website and wanted to share this news.......

-NEWPORT FOLK FESTIVAL: Antje has been added to the bill for this year's Newport Folk Festival on August 5-6, joining other artists such as David Gray, The Indigo Girls and Chris Smither!

-WXPN 'ALL ABOUT THE MUSIC FESTIVAL': Antje has been added to WXPN's 'All about the Music Festival" one of Philadelphia's largest, outdoor music festivals... sponsored by one of the nation's best radio stations. The date is Saturday, July 22nd! Then on Saturday, August 12th Antje will headline the Tin Angel in Phila. a show sponsored by WXPN!

Hmmmn, always wanted to check out NewPort, RI :D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:57 pm

Hi folks,

Found this old (April 2005) interview with Antje on the WERS web site:

Antje Duvekot on WERS

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:39 pm

My, what great radio stations they have up in Boston. Another great insight into Antje Duvekot. A couple of good interviews with Ellis up there as well.

and photos :arrow: :arrow: :arrow: of them dripping cool :!: :!: :!:
paddy

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:35 pm

Dunkin Donuts is raffling off passes to the Newport Folk Festival, in case anyone wanted to try to win :)
-Katie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:14 pm

jalapenos, thanks for the info, we'll have to try!

bit of trivia from Ellis Paul song below:

Who, from Ellis Paul lyric land, is likely to fill out the most entries...... :?:

just because :!:

answer this time tomorrow if not guessed by then.

happy 4th guys
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:12 pm

Antje is singing "Annabelle" on WUMB right now. Gotta love a radio station that plays Antje Duvekot AND Ellis Paul every day! (I'm telling you....in my next life I'm gonna have an all-Ellis all-the-time radio station!) :lol:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jul 28, 2006 1:45 pm

Karen, you're right, you gotta love a station like that, and I do.

Listening now too and heard Annabelle before seeing this post. Did you hear that new song by another one of my faves, Darryl Scott..?

He really deserves his own thread someday, so I'll wait for that. TO whet whistles tho, a really cool thing he did recently was put his father in front of recording equipment to create a hard record of songs his dad loves to play and sing. If that doesn't just ring of a truly great heart and soul.

Richard or Jela, this wumb talk has me wondering something:

Do you tend to listen to a local radio station across the pond OR via the web with a radio station here in the States?

I can think of a few that would be great to check out but my guess is that you two can more likely give me a clue than me giving you one.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:19 pm

Paddy - we listen via the web to US stations - KUT in Austin + WUMB Boston. As as I said on the old discsussion forum, in my dreams I work at Uni of Texas in the winter and Harvard in the summer months so that way we can go to the Cactus and Passims on a regular basis - heaven!

Here in the UK the only 'must listen' to is Bob Harris who is on BBC Radio 2 on Thursdays 7pm (BST) and Saturdays 10.30pm - he plays the sort of music we like and through his show we have got to find a number of artists including Hayes Carl and Nels Andrews. He's also been responsible for breaking artists like Eliza Gilkyson, Jeffrey Foucault, Slaid Cleaves, Tift Merritt, over here. Last year he attended SXSW and recorded sessions with Buddy Miller, Tom Russell which were broadcast over here.
We're seeing Tom Russell on Sunday in Brighton - he's the artist that over many years, we have seen more than any other, well into double figures.

This weekend is the Cambridge Folk Festival - we often go to that and I have spent many a birthday sitting in a field listening to music. We decided not to go this year but when Ellis came over in May I mentioned to him that he should try and get on the bill at Cambridge as it is a great launch pad for folk artists. Again it is being covered by the BBC and it sells out very quickly, capacity is about 10,000. Maybe he'll be on next year?

Thanks for you good wishes for my birthday.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jul 28, 2006 3:56 pm

Jela, thanks for the update on the job of your dreams. Sounds good.

Ellis Paul at the Cambridge festival sounds like another trip across the pond just waiting to happen for Karen and others.

It sounds like a great event and we know Ellis would be a crowd pleaser.

Icing on your Birthday Cake for me would be for Antje Duvekot to also be on that stage singing to the Ellis Paul Disscussion Group's 1st Annual Cambridge Folk Festival across the pond trip.

Who's in?
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jul 28, 2006 5:51 pm

Happy Birthday, Jela! :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:45 am

Karen - thank you>

That Cambridge Folk Festival trip that Paddy suggests, if it ever comes off, would be just fantastic!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:19 am

Jela,

I hope it works out! :)

KarenZ

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Sat Jul 29, 2006 6:23 pm

I would be in for a trip like that! :D

Happiest of birthdays, Jela!
~Lauren

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Jul 30, 2006 2:27 am

Lauren, thanks for your good wishes.

Jela

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sun Jul 30, 2006 9:05 am

Best wishes for a great birthday Jela. Did you say you will be celebrating with a garden party on the fifth?

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Jul 30, 2006 11:28 am

Sue Ellen - thank you and yes although it is on Tuesday (Richard is taking me out to dinner that evening) the celebration with family and friends will be a garden party on Saturday so while you are all having a ball in Ogunquit we will be raising a glass or two to you as you celebrate the first official board get together. Wish we could be in two places at once. If I was there my request would be 'Chris McCandless' and hope that Ellis sings it.

Just keep fingers crossed for good weather. We are having the hottest July on record so hope that August continues with warm, sunny weather.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:36 am

From another thread.....here's a video link of Antje performing "dandelion". (Thanks to Shari.) :)

Antje Duvekot singing "dandelion" on YouTube

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Fri Aug 25, 2006 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 03, 2006 9:33 am

Nice story about the upcoming Newport Folk Festival and "newcomer" Antje Duvekot in today's Worcester Telegram & Gazette:

Newcomers add spice to Newport Folk fest

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:22 am

I need a sabbatical musical month long vacation.......but don't we all. :wink:

That's a great piece on Antje Duvekot and how her star is definitely on the rise.....which has me wondering, why the song circle at Newport? I'd like to see a longer set, but that's just me.

I missed Antje at the wxpn "all about the music fest" and understand that she got her set in before the skies opened and the event was cancelled. but still, her time onstage was a brief 30 minutes as co - bill with Darcie Miner for that one hour time slot.

So much good music......so little time.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:36 am

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:05 am

Well, what can one say about Antje that has not been said to date. Plenty, really. I really enjoyed this latest article by Scott Alarik on Miss Duvekot's struggles not only early on in life ( which fueled the artist in her ), but also the revelation that once she and her music began to "catch on", what then? I have wondered myself lately how truly strange it must be for her to go from the comfort of relative obscurity to being named the next big thing. This article speaks to that, uh, dilemna.

A favorite quote of mine is one I heard James Taylor say one summer evening in Houston years ago at his annual outdoor concert. The crowd was going on with applause and whistling and general rowdiness. It was just after the first few songs and James was trying to talk to the audience. Well, it did not slow down for a minute or more. When it finally got quiet enough for James to address the rabble rousers, he did so with the most amazing line I think I've ever heard spoken from a concert stage:

What if we're not having as much fun as we think we are?

It's just something I've never forgotten. How honest a question was that?

Which brings me back to Antje Duvekot. We are all having fun getting to know this artist in some small way. Well, maybe fun is not the right sentiment. We are basking in the discovery of this amazing artist and her songs that cut straight to the heart of so many matters. We are often beside ourselves with the beauty she brings to our ears, hearts, and minds. For us it's all good. I liked the fact that Scott's piece touched on what it's like for Antje herself. You have to like the fact that she is so honest with her audiences, both in song, concert, and an interview like this one. The part about writer's block setting in makes perfect sense. You wonder how any artist deals with trying to "top" that which got them acclaim in the first place. The references to this kind of artist coming along only so often and comparisons to Dar and Patty are so true.

It's so Pay It Forward with Antje in the way that music seemed to save her at one point in her life and she seems ready and able to share her struggles in song so that others might find solace too.

Every success Antje Duvekot, you are most deserved, and thanks for sharing.
paddy

shari

Postby shari » Sat Aug 05, 2006 11:49 pm

Hi folks,

Here is a video of Antje from Fox News Channel this week...singing Dandelion...

http://www.myfoxboston.com/myfox/pages/ ... geId=7.3.1

Enjoy!

Shari

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Aug 06, 2006 6:57 am

I was at a WUMB member's concert this week, it was the very talented Antje!! It was a great show, over an hour, which will be broadcast on WUMB, Boston... on Sunday August 20th at noon.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Aug 07, 2006 9:41 am

I just saw Eric Hutchinson is opening for her at the Tin Angel, so I gave him his own thread!

http://ellispaul.com/discussion/viewtop ... =1824#1824
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:01 pm

Antje at Tin Angel on August 12.

Tix - check - :D

Babysitter - check - :D

Ellis Paul Lapel Pin - check - :D

An extra one for Antje - check - :D

Info on who from here will attend - check in. :wink:
paddy

shari

Postby shari » Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:57 am

Paddy,

Purchasing my tickets today... I'll let you know when their confirmed.

Sadly, I do not have an EP lapel pin. How do I get one? I'll figure out another way for you to recognize me. Will you be having dinner at Serrano?

I hope to meet you there!

Shari

PS: Anyone else going?

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:09 am

Shari,

Ellis Paul Lapel Pins are easy to get, once you know how. I want to say check the EP Lapel Pin thread out here on the forum. NO Coffee yet, so I'll ask for others to get you there faster........guys/gals?

The cool thing I heard yesterday was from the missus.....she took a good look at the photo of Ellis on the pin for the first time. She said it was cool that the photo shows Elllis' back looking out at the crowd at Woodyfest.

She mentioned it was appropriate That the photo chosen for the pin was that particular photo - why? - since We've Got Ellis' Back.

Oh, You read that on the forum, right honey?........nope...dawned on her. That's funny, I posted this very train of thought a lil while back. Hmmn.

So yes, Dinner at Serranos in order to better our chances for reserved seats up close for Antje and the opener Eric Hutchinson.

The pin is small and maybe a lil hard to see in a dark room like Tin Angel, so other clues would be good.......lookin fwd to this one... 8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 08, 2006 8:51 am

Nice comments about Antje's performance at the Newport Folk Festival in yesterday's Worcester Telegram & Gazette:

[url=http://www.telegram.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060807/EWORCESTER/308070001/-1/eworcester]Funk, R&B go over well in Newport’s broadening fest
[/url]
KarenZ

wendy

Postby wendy » Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:50 am

Hey! Welcome back, Karen!
Hope you had easy traveling!
-wendy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:13 pm

I just got Big Dream Boulevard in the post yesterday and I am not disappointed. I've been so occupied repeating Judas (brilliant and insightful), Pearls (which speaks to my soul), and Hold On (which gives me Hope) that I haven't paid full attention to the rest of the cd yet, but a cursory listen tells me it will be played frequently.

I am surprised at times how much she sounds like another famous female singer-song writer, but I can't quite place the voice. I think Antje is reminding me of Alanis Morrisette. Is anyone else hearing that?

Sue Ellen

wendy

Postby wendy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:16 pm

I hear shades of Nanci Griffith in her voice.
Maybe early NG, since that's what I have...
I'm guessing it's that innocent sound with vibrato that makes them sound similar to me. Anyone else?
-wendy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:15 pm

Well. I'm glad we no longer have that shooting emoticon...

I've never heard any Nancy Griffith that I know of. :oops:

Sue Ellen

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:50 am

My first impression upon listening to BDB was that Antje reminded me of Shawn Colvin. We have tickets to see SC when she comes over in October and are looking forward to the forthcoming release of her new CD.

Jela

Lauren

Postby Lauren » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:10 am

Don't know about who she might sound similar to (though I could see the Shawn Colvin thing, a bit), but I can recommend a 3 of my other favorites from that disc, Sue Ellen (though you already snagged my other 2): Dandelion (Flynn produced that track - hey hey!), Sex Bandaid (powerful, visceral), and Anna (so sweet, and sad, about her grandmother).

So glad you like BDB - it's a permanent in my car CD player, and I'm still not sick of it! Only wish she'd put "Opium" and "Black Annis" on there, too.

~Lauren

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:59 am

...and "Milk and Trash;" that is such bitterly powerful song on the state of society...and she doesn't usually play it at shows because it is "in a different tuning."

Sue Ellen

paddyinthepub

Antje Duvekot at Tin Angel

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:07 am

My second concert date with Antje Duvekot went well. I'm not trying to say we hit it off by any means. But, she is wearing a certain lucky charm I gave her. :D

Just in from Antje's headlining concert at Tin Angel in Philadelphia. She was her usual nervous shy funny beautiful powerful self. Oh and she was barefooted to boot. The place was packed from stage to bar in back all there to see this fabulous new songstress who seems to be making a name for herself just about every where you turn. Could not be happening to a nicer or more deserving artist. I was surprised to learn this was only Antje's second ever show as The Headliner and she said from the stage that it was making her all the more nervous. If she sounds this good nervous, not sure I want her getting too comfy up there. :wink:

Her setlist tonight is a loose recollection and close to in order:

Dandelion
Sex Bandaid
Christian Boys - new song
I Was Wrong - new song
Cover Song - Leonard Cohen
Love is Our Cross To Bear - John Gorka
Jerusalem
Judas
Pearls

Encore:
Diamond On Your Hand

Antje told some really funny stories, as usual. Two were about being face to face with musical heroes of hers. An uncomfortable 10 minutes in a green room with Richard Shindell...."Oh I just love your music" she tells Richard and then the long silence that followed. Another of bumping into John Gorka at a bagel shop and once the initial greeting and adoration was mentioned, they both sorta nervously looked at their shoes and fumbled with their change. All too funny. She joked that she writes enough songs about relationships that don't work out.....that her manager suggested that instead of explaining why she was leaving that she could simply tell the boy to refer to tracks #3...#6...and ...#9. Big laughs on that one as well.

We had seats right up front and If only I'd remembered my camera I'm sure I'd of been a contender for a future fan photo of the week contest. Antje looked great. After the show, I talked with Antje long enough to give her, on behalf of the Ellis Paul Discussion Board, her very own Ellis Paul Lapel Pin. She put it on straight away and said she'd see us next time we cross paths.

I was happy to be able to put another face to one of our very own EPDB members who informs me she very much wished she had known about Ogunquit...seems we had such a good time.......Shari, very nice to meet you and looking forward to seeing you and Antje next go around.

A fine opening set tonight by Eric Hutchinson....a rather talented and soulful singer from the greater Washington DC area who kept the audience laughing in between and sometimes during songs. Eric has a new CD out and he actually said from the stage that I was getting a free one for my enthusiasm and support at the singalong and applause. I kinda figured he was joking and was humbled when he walked up to our seats up front after his set and handed me a CD and thanked me for the support. He really sounded good tonight and played a rather tight set at both Keys and Guitar. His "HIT SONG" if you will - Outside VillaNova - was terrific. I'm hoping audiences find their way to an Eric Hutchinson show and soon, and you'll see what I mean.

Antje plays The Philadelphia Folk Festival next month, and then I heard of another show in October I hope to make as well.

Lastly, when she joked about the nerves acting up in the presence of Richard Shindell and John Gorka, she mentioned that she has been opening shows for Ellis Paul.

She laughingly said she was able to " have conversations " with him.

:lol:

What a sweetie. :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:23 am

Thanks for the report, Paddy. Sounds like an wonderful evening of music. Too bad you didn't remember the camera. :shock:

KarenZ

shari

Postby shari » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:45 pm

The show last night was great! Antje was fabulous as usual. The place was packed and the audience was clearly with Antje. Lots of cheering. :-)

I personally was THRILLED that she played Sex Bandaid. I've seen her many times but had not heard Sex Bandaid live - that was a real treat.

Also, LisaBeth Weber was there to sing backup on a few songs. That was a treat too.

Paddy - your song list is correct, just a few items out of order (I was writing it down as it happened) and one title correction...

Dandelion
I Was Lost (beautiful new song)
Sex Bandaid (YES!!!)
Christian Boys (powerful new song)
Cover Song - Leonard Cohen (sorry I do not know the name)
Jerusalem
Love is our Cross to Bear (cover of John Gorka)
Judas
Pearls

Encore: Diamond on You Hand

Oh! and the Philly folk festival is next weekend!

Paddy, it was great to meet you! Next time there is a "gathering" - I'm in. :-)

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:03 pm

Shari, Thanks for the accurate setlist from last night. You're right on so many fronts, those 2 new songs were both beautiful and powerful, wow, you were keeping great notes. So too were Antje's covers of John Gorka and Leonard Cohen.

I Was Lost - Antje Duvekot

I Was Wrong - that'd be me :oops:

A few artists I see out and about give me the chills at certain parts of certain songs.......Antje joined that club last night. :D

Next gathering......hmmmn....stay tuned. :wink:
paddy

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:17 am

She sang Famous Blue Raincoat in Shirley a couple weeks ago. Maybe that was the unknown cover at your show, too?
-Katie

Jalapenos

Postby Jalapenos » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:21 pm

I was listening to "Anna" today and I noticed something funny.

Well there's so much you must have witnessed
As the whole world changed, child
At the onset of the Jazz Age
And it was long before Elvis (sounds like Ellis)
And rock and roll
They told you, "There will be music
You just wait"

As if she's telling her grandmother that she was born before the time of Ellis. Made me laugh. At first I thought, does she really worship him that much? But then I used my brain and figured it out.

Anyway, it's a really sweet song. Anyone else like it?
-Katie

Return to “Looking for My Friends”