Antje Duvekot

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

ZacCrook

Re: Antje Duvekot

Postby ZacCrook » Thu Jun 25, 2009 2:50 pm

Wow, thanks a lot. As you can probably tell, I'm kind of a "collector" of facts, haha. I don't know what it is, I just love knowing a lot about the musicians and things I like.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:32 pm

Zac,

Gee....I can identify with that. ;-)

Be careful! I started out collecting a few Ellis Paul "things" too! Hee....hee...hee....

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

RonG

Postby RonG » Thu Jun 25, 2009 10:38 pm

And another article, this one from Folkwax
_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

Spanning Generations on the High Wire, (06/24/09)

Antje Duvekot's new CD, The Near Demise of the High Wire Dancer, leaves the impression that a mantle is being passed from one generation of songwriter to the next. Much in evidence on this recording are the currently reigning Lucy Kaplansky (harmony vocals), Richard Shindell (producer, guitar, voice), and John Gorka (more harmonies). But the role they each play is that of satisfied mentor—sitting back and enjoying the fabulous wonder of their student dancing across the high wire.

And dance she does—as if nobody is watching. There's a sense that these songs were created on instinct, without regard for voguish formula or formal training. Her instrumentation is acoustic. Her pretty melodic sense falls to the Pop and soft Rock end of the Folk spectrum. She's much more Boston or Greenwich Village than Delta or Appalachia, or even Nashville. In fact, aside from the American Folksingers who helped bring this album to life, she reminds me most of Irish singers such as Luka Bloom or Mary Black, with her genuine, unadorned singing and European taste for archetype.

Physically, Duvekot is the belle of the ball. Tall, blonde and blue-eyed, she's surprisingly a creature of mist and moonlight, solitarily converting the daily collage of sight and sound into short tales rich in metaphor. In the hands of a less honest and courageous songwriter, inwardness is often the slippery slope to ho-hum. But, in her best songs, Antje's insights are couched in exciting narratives that read more like fable than diary entry.

She opens with one such song, "Vertigo," the cut from which the album draws its name. It's a beautiful, bittersweet, soaring melody delicately accented by mandolin and piano. It tells the unavoidable truth that passionate people will willingly jettison all safety and sense for the sake of love--tomorrow's brokenness be damned. Her metaphor is a high-wire dancer, thus imbuing the simple tale with all the rich appeal of glitter and held breath and daring. The album's alluring cover art reflects this theme, with midnight blues, star-spangled skies, and Duvekot up on the wire bedecked in gothic red velvet and lace.

The fourth track, "Lighthouse," is equally romantic and inventive. In this story she's a lighthouse marooned in a barren desert remembering her ocean's cool waters. Imagining lighthouse and ocean as parted lovers is truly original, and deeply affecting as she creates a united force of tender melody and unguarded confession.

In her less impressive moments Antje tries to pack a great deal into a song: too many metaphors, which quickly begin working at cross-purposes, making meaning less rather than more clear (as in the second track "Ragdoll Princes & Junkyard Queens" or the seventh, "Scream"); or possibly too many examples of a fairly simple concept, creating a minor problem with meandering (such as in track 3, "Long Way" or track 10 "Merry-Go-Round"). But in both of these songs she pretty much saves the day with the occasional very cool line and her consistently excellent presentation.

Duvekot's is a style that Richard and Lucy and John and Ellis Paul taught us to love. Now we hear it coming from her generation: Anais Mitchell, Mark Erelli, Seth Glier, Jeffrey Foucault, Kris Delmhorst. These young folks are doing a beautiful job as individual artists and, very importantly, in carrying forward the Folk spirit of community above ego. (Erelli has songwriting and performance credits on this album, and Glier lends his keyboard skills. Some of the others appear in the lengthy thank you section in the liner notes.) These are the artists who will be headlining our festivals and filling our clubs in the years to come. If you haven't gotten to know them yet, High Wire Dancer would be a fine place to begin.

Sarah Craig is a contributing writer at FolkWax. Sarah may be contacted at folkwax@visnat.com.

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:31 pm

I just bought Soma from I tunes for .99 , sounds great so far..

The song is over 9 minutes long..wow, what a bargain :wink:
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Jun 25, 2009 11:34 pm

hmmm.. well the track is not all that one song :oops:

as it goes on Antje is talking and playing a different... its all good :D

ZacCrook

Postby ZacCrook » Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:39 pm

Patti wrote:hmmm.. well the track is not all that one song :oops:

Yeah, Go Now fades back in and Antje makes a joke.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jun 30, 2009 12:24 pm

Here's a link to an article in today's Eagle Times (VT.) about Antje's upcoming show with Chris O'Brien on Thursday, July 2, 2009 at Boccelli's in Bellows Falls, VT.

Duvekot & O'Brien At Boccelli's

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

ZacCrook

Postby ZacCrook » Tue Jul 07, 2009 9:26 pm

What song do you think Antje's playing here?

I don't know why I'm so damn curious about everything... :D

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 08, 2009 9:17 pm

Zac

Have only ever seen Antje play electric guitar on one song: Sex Bandaid
So maybe that's the song she is playing here?
She looks too serene to be playing that one, though.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

RonG

Postby RonG » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:34 pm

Have only ever seen Antje play electric guitar on one song: Sex Bandaid. So maybe that's the song she is playing here?

Not likely, since she does that song with no capo.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:38 pm

The electric guitar is a beauty, wonder what song it is, now, too!

Saw a picture of Antje onstage with Ellis at New Bedford Summerfest and speaking of capos, she was using the pink one! Devotees in attendance at Jonathan's in Ogunquit couple years back might find the irony and humor in that visual! :P
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:19 am

i'm going to guess that she is tuning. :D
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

ZacCrook

Postby ZacCrook » Thu Jul 09, 2009 3:54 pm

Well, to me, it looks like she's playing F# (relative to the capo). Are there any songs she does that are capo IV and include F#? Also, why electric? So, I guess some people see why I found this picture kind of odd?

RonG

Postby RonG » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:24 pm

ZacCrook wrote:Well, to me, it looks like she's playing F# (relative to the capo). Are there any songs she does that are capo IV and include F#? Also, why electric?

That's not an F#; her index finger is off the fretboard. If anything, it's a partial Bm, which could be in any number of songs. And what's so strange about her playing an electric? That's a Taylor T3 semi-hollowbody, which works as well as a amped-up acoustic as it does a straighforward electric. Richard Shindell plays a Taylor T5 exactly that way.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:24 am

Been following Antje a few years now and it's plain weird to see her playing an electric guitar only for the reason that it seems more the exception than the rule. Anyone know if she plays her electric guitar much on her records or at some of the shows closer to home? -- sure is easier to travel with acoustics.

Allowing my wander a bit here in this train of thought I wonder if we'll ever see Antje BREAK OUT and someday take big stages where several of her songs are played full band style with Antje at the helm rockin on electric guitar.

Antje with acoustic guitar in hand are what fans come to expect so the odd photo of her with electric is, well, kinda odd!

What I do recall is her rocking Sex Bandaid on electric and I thought wow I want a few more of those kinds of songs... 8)
paddy

ZacCrook

Postby ZacCrook » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:34 pm

RonG wrote:
ZacCrook wrote:Well, to me, it looks like she's playing F# (relative to the capo). Are there any songs she does that are capo IV and include F#? Also, why electric?

That's not an F#; her index finger is off the fretboard. If anything, it's a partial Bm, which could be in any number of songs. And what's so strange about her playing an electric? That's a Taylor T3 semi-hollowbody, which works as well as a amped-up acoustic as it does a straighforward electric. Richard Shindell plays a Taylor T5 exactly that way.

That's actually a Yamaha AEX 520 (semi-hollow body). Also, If that was a B minor, her pinky would be one string away from the high E string and it doesn't appear that way in the photo. I also know that Antje FREQUENTLY hammers-on notes in chords and most commonly, the root note...especially if the root note is two frets away from the note where the string is capoed. She also plays electric on Diamond On Your Hand. As far as Sex Bandaid goes, to my knowledge, she plays acoustic guitar throughout and has a session guitarist play the leads as well as the distorted chorus. I'll check the CD booklet to verify that.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:46 pm

paddyinthepub wrote:Allowing my wander a bit here in this train of thought I wonder if we'll ever see Antje BREAK OUT and someday take big stages where several of her songs are played full band style with Antje at the helm rockin on electric guitar.

i have seen antje with a band before. no electric guitar, but at the cd release show for big dream boulevard she was backed by a band.*

*in a bit of epdb trivia, that is the day that i met lauren and sue ellen for the first time. rad too. :P

RonG

Postby RonG » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:47 pm

Frankly, all I care is that I enjoy her music, and that's pretty much enough for me, not so much what chord she is or is not playing.

ZacCrook

Postby ZacCrook » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:12 am

RonG wrote:Frankly, all I care is that I enjoy her music, and that's pretty much enough for me, not so much what chord she is or is not playing.

Yeah, me too...I was basically just writing to myself, haha. I was simply just wondering about everyone's opinion. No big deal. A lot of the time though, what chord she's playing drives me insane when I'm trying to tab out one of her songs so I can entertain myself by playing it later.

ZacCrook

Postby ZacCrook » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:23 pm

ZacCrook wrote:
Patti wrote:hmmm.. well the track is not all that one song :oops:

Yeah, Go Now fades back in and Antje makes a joke.

I'm sorry, I was thinking of Hold On from Big Dream Boulevard. Yeah, the cool thing about Soma is you're getting Black Annis and Soma for the price of one song. Pretty cool.

care

Postby care » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:30 pm

Antje show just announced yesterday in my inbox for tomorrow night at Passim. Very very jealous of anyone that can go to that. she's not doing many local MA shows for awhile... :(

ZacCrook

Postby ZacCrook » Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:52 pm

care wrote:Antje show just announced yesterday in my inbox for tomorrow night at Passim. Very very jealous of anyone that can go to that. she's not doing many local MA shows for awhile... :(

I'm also jealous. I'd love to see her play again.

ZacCrook

Postby ZacCrook » Mon Aug 03, 2009 9:09 pm

Does anyone know whether or not when you buy "Little Peppermints" or "Boys, Flowers, Miles" from Slabster they come with all the songs, spoken-word and all?

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:44 am

Folks,

Antje has recorded a holiday album with Anne Heaton, Meg Hutchinson and Natalia Zukerman called Winterbloom: Traditions Rearranged that will be released on Nov. 3, 2009. They are also touring together. More info at the link below:

Winterbloom: Traditions Rearranged

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Oct 23, 2009 3:25 pm

This looks great and OH (other half - Richard) is really looking forward to hearing the Greg Brown song 'Rexroth's Daughter' GB is one of his long time heroes. Have to admit that I love that deep voice of his too.

I see the 'girls' are playing First Night in Boston - wonder what time they'll be on? Would love to see them.

Jela

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sat Oct 24, 2009 3:01 pm

Richard + Jela wrote:I see the 'girls' are playing First Night in Boston - wonder what time they'll be on? Would love to see them.

Jela

does this mean you'll be ringing in the new year with us at passim? when making you plans, remember that ellis is also playing on the 26th at that wonderful place we went to in maine last year.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Oct 24, 2009 4:07 pm

Yes it does Bonnie - how could we possibly miss NYE at Passim with you all?

We can't fly out for 26th Dec tho' as much as we'd love to go to that Portland show again but will hopefully be in Cambridge on the 27th. Will be booking our flights tomorrow :)

Just hoping that Antje and co will be on early enough so that we can see them in addition to Ellis and the boys.

Jela

mm

Postby mm » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:48 pm

I have heard their CD, and the harmonies and music are so, so beautiful. There is gorgeous winter music and Christmas music on it. These Winterbloom women will be playing at Tupelo on Thurs, Dec. 10 at 8 pm, and I would highly encourage show attendance! It would be great if we could get some of our EP fans there to enjoy and appreciate.

Enjoy! Monica

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Dec 11, 2009 9:10 am

Folks,

Nice article in today's Norton (MA) Mirror. Some EP content. 8)

Duvekot is getting closer to her big dream by Jay N. Miller.

KarenZ

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Fri Dec 11, 2009 12:31 pm

Great article Karen - thanks for the link !

Antje (and Flynn) are giving me fits trying to figure out which January 9 show to attend. Elli sin Fall River (about 50 minutes away) or Antje and Flynn in Franklin (10 minutes away). Oh these tough choices... :)
Jeff

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:56 pm

i feel your pain jeff. i am leaning towards antje. i love cof and i haven't seen her in years. flynn has no shows posted other than that one. since i know ellis will sell out his show, i do not feel disloyal and since i plan to see him 5 times between now and the 31st i should be ok until his next local show. :mrgreen:

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sat Dec 12, 2009 4:34 pm

Leaning the same way Bonnie....

Was just listening to soe of the Winterbloom (Antje, Natalia Zukerman, Anne Heaton, Meg Hutchinson) cuts - and we are really enjoying "Thanks for the Roses." Wonder if we can get her to sing that at CoF ?
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 21, 2009 11:30 am

Folks,

Scott Alarik, music writer for the Boston Globe ranks Antje's The Near Demise of the High Wire Dancer’’as the #1 folk release of 2009! Congratulations Antje! :)

Scott Alarik's top folk albums of 2009

KarenZ

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sun Jan 17, 2010 10:31 pm

Flynn and Antje Duvekot at Circle of Friends, Franklin, January 9

Sorry this write-up is so late in coming – it’s been a busy week.

We were lucky enough (Me, Maggie, all three kids, and one of Matt’s friends) to be at Circle of Friends in Franklin January 9 for the Flynn / Antje Duvekot show. It was just too close to home and the chance to see both of them comes along infrequently enough, that the Ellis show in Fall River lost out (though I heard through the grapevine that was not only an excellent show but is a superb venue). Anyway, Circle of Friends is also a great venue, and we were treated to a great show. And of course they had great food during the intermission...  Flynn’s guitar work was in great form (yes I am jealous) and both artists sounded great. We were able to hear “Thanks For The Roses” for probably the last time before she retires it until next winter….. Both artists come very highly recommended (even if they did each make a little Ellis Paul joke) – given his limited schedule if you get the chance to see Flynn – TAKE IT !

Flynn opened with:
Carousel
Emerald Dream
Desert Angel
Angels
The Answer’s Not Enough / Strange
Human
White

Antje’s set consisted of:
Scream
Ragdoll Princes and Junkyard Queens
The Queen and the Soldier (???) a Suzanne Vega song
Dublin Boys
They All Laughed – Gershwin
Long Way
Sex Bandaid
Lighthouse
That’s Me – a Paul Simon song (with Flynn)
Cobbler’s Daughter, a Kate Rusby song (with Flynn)
Dandelion
Jerusalem
One Breath (a new song in progress….)
Vertigo
Thanks For The Roses
Sweet Spot Of Your Life
Merry-Go-Round

Afterwards I had the chance to speak with Antje and then with Flynn, both of whom were very gracious. My eleven year old daughter was very impressed with Flynn’s guitar loops (“He’s cool,” she said) so I had to bend his ear about that subject for a few minutes.

 Added bonus – someone (I think the Sun Chronicle in Attleboro) had a reporter there working on a story about folk music and coffeehouses – I am watching for that.
Jeff

RonG

Postby RonG » Mon Jan 18, 2010 12:47 am

Saw Antje open for Richard Shindell on Friday night at McCabe's in Santa Monica. Her six-song set featured:

Sex Bandaid
Scream
Long Way (with Richard and Sara Milonovich on amazingly beautiful harmonies)
Vertigo
Dublin Boys
Merry Go Round (when someone in the audience requested "Play track 10!")

Only my second time seeing Antje, both times as opening acts. Not likely she'll make it down here to San Diego for a full headlining show, but this was easily worth the drive.

Had the chance to meet and say hi to her after the show. Quite the sweetheart.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jan 18, 2010 11:53 am

Thanks PotatoPicker and RonG! How cool to have Antje reports from coast to coast! 8)

KarenZ

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Mon Jan 18, 2010 6:32 pm

Her new CD is getting a lot o fplay in my jukebox now while I work.... Love Coney Island.

Looking for ward to April when I will get a couple of good chances to see Antje - headlining at Bull Run (which is a pretty big room) and opening for Ellis in New Hampshire.
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jan 20, 2010 9:09 am

Antje's Near Demise of the Highwire Dancer was voted the #1 album of 2009 by WUMB listeners :!: See link below:

WUMB Top 10 albums of 2009

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:43 am

Congratulations Antje Duvekot! 8)
Congratulations Richard Shindell (producer) 8)
Congratulations Ellis Paul (discoverer) 8)

Antje at Burlap & Bean April 3 2010

8)
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:26 am

Nice write up about Antje and Flynn from COF... couple of good quotes in the story...

http://www.thesunchronicle.com/articles ... 784495.txt

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:13 am

if i'm not mistaken, one of those quotes is from our very own potato picker. :-)

thanks for finding it patti.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jan 22, 2010 11:21 am

Thanks, Patti! Way to go, PotatoPicker! :)

KarenZ

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sun Jan 24, 2010 1:41 pm

Why thank y'all.

Seriously though it is a nice story about a great venue which epitomizes the small town coffeehouse - and has grown and changed even as Franklin and its host church has. I am looking forward to seeing a lot of shows there this year. Good to see them get some supportive press. If you are anywhere south or east of Boston, north of Providence, this is a very easy place to get to.
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:33 pm

Antje Duvekot is the special guest on WUMB's Live At Noon TOMORROW, Jan. 5, 2011!

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jan 26, 2011 9:47 am

Just a reminder that both of Antje's shows tonight at Club Passim (7pm and 10pm) will be streamed live at:

http://www.concertwindow.com

We're talking audio AND video, folks! :)

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:12 am

Great Big Thanks for the reminder !! I will be seeing Antje at Stone Soup in April but really I love here so more is better in this case..

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:35 pm

I just logged in to post this very thing.... :D

Like minds and all.. :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:44 am

Folks,

Antje has launched a fundraiser on Kickstarter for her forthcoming CD New Siberia to be produced once again by Richard Shindell. See her video request for pledges below. Looks like the fundraiser will end July 29.

Antje Duvekot 2011 album New Siberia

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:21 am

Folks,

Antje will be on WUMB's Live at Noon tomorrow, Jan. 20, 2012.

http://www.wumb.org

KarenZ

Return to “Looking for My Friends”