Jeffrey Foucault

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

Patti

Jeffrey Foucault

Postby Patti » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:57 pm

Hi JF is coming to Stone Soup this weekend. I heard him sing a few songs only once a few years ago but was impressed enough to pick up his Miles From The Lightning CD. I have been playing it a bunch this week. I just realized that one song reminds of the guitar playing on Two Bends in the Road from the Live at Passim CD. I'm guessing it is Don playing on that song, as it has a distinct different sound than anything Ellis can get his acoustic gutiar to do. (I'm not one for tech. terms I just like to like what I like!!) Anyway... what CD would anyone recommend I get next, of Jeff's keeping in mind I don't like change, so I want it to sound kind of like the first one I have!!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 19, 2006 5:29 am

Patti, I have Jeff's most recent Ghost Repeater and it's really wonderful. He did a WUMB live at noon just a few days ago and was very funny and articulate. (Still listening to WUMB at work while at my desk.)

Will be seeing Jeff's wife, Kris Delmhorst, who's one of my favorite female songwriters, on the 29th. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:52 am

Patti - JF has just got better and better and I'd say that the latest CD Ghost Repeater is his strongest one but Stripping Cane is excellent too.

Have seen him a good few times now; I think that the addition of such an experienced hand as Bo Ramsey playing on the latest recording, as well as on the production, really adds something extra. The songwriting is first class and JF really is one of the most accomplished young singer/songwriters coming through these days.

We were lucky enough to see him be accompanied by Bo Ramsey at SXSW in March and have very good memories of a subsequent house concert that he played (solo) in the UK - I got it in the neck (jokingly of course) for requesting 'Mayfly' as its a difficult one for the guitar, but to his credit he played it all the way through.

I'm sure you'll enjoy whichever one of his CDs you listen to.

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:43 am

Thanks for input...perhaps I'll be buying both!! I like Kris D.'s music too, she'l be at SS later this season.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 19, 2006 10:33 am

deja vu all over again....reading that Kris D. is married to JF....reminds me of my youth and learning that Carly was married to JT.

Still just learning about these 2 artists via the wonderful 10th Anniversary Signature Sounds CD and DVD that was released this summer.

Need to order Ghost Repeater for sure and am still hoping to explore the music of Peter Mulvey, both solo and as part of the group Redbird, which I believe also included Kris and Jeffrey.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

john1977

Postby john1977 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:10 am

oooohhh....redbird is amazing....their album is an incredible collection of unique renditions of other peoples' music...with the exception of kris delmhorst's beautiful reading of peter mulvey's "ithaca", everything else is by folks not in redbird such as REM, tom waits, greg brown and others. i highly recommend it...

i also recommend anything that peter mulvey has done...he's brilliant in my opinion.

hope all is well...

john

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:17 am

Thanks John, always great to "hear" the enthusiasm in the words of members here that they have for other artists we have yet to really hear.

Hope all is well your way too.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Nov 29, 2006 11:07 am

Folks,

Here's a link to a YouTube video of Jeffrey Foucault performing "One For Sorrow" at the Green River Festival (Greenfield, MA) in July 2006. Also with him are David Goodrich (looks like a resophonic guitar) and Kris Delmhorst doing background vocals.

Jeffrey Foucault on YouTube

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

herve

Postby herve » Sun Apr 22, 2007 2:54 am

Jeff performs the Stones' Dead Flowers with Sean Staples' Session Americana

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Apr 22, 2007 7:19 am

Jeffrey's "Ghost Repeater" arrived yesterday from Signature Sounds. I'll have it on board for a roadtrip to New Jersey today. Look forward to hearing what all the fuss is about....... :lol:

Mesa, Arizona just came on.....love the way it sounds........ :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed May 16, 2007 1:32 pm

Just hear to say that I FINALLY got around to listening to Ghost Repeater and you can now color me convinced that I waited far too long!!!

He's great!!!

I also love the duet Jeffrey sings with Mark Erelli on Mark's latest record.
paddy

herve

Postby herve » Sat Feb 23, 2008 4:54 am

Hi Jeff was in Paris on Thursday night. I have posted some pictures and random setlist here

Stunning, as usual :D

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Feb 23, 2008 9:45 am

Herve,

I'm listening/watching the YouTube"stripping cane" video as I type. Thanks so much for posting it :)

BTW....if I didn't already say this, let me say now that I am really saddened to hear that you've decided not to continue doing the shows and am hoping you'll reconsider some time...

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:56 pm

Listening to Jeffrey Focault's "Northbound 35" and wondering about something.

Has someone the storyteller once loved, just died?

Such a beautiful song. I can't tell for certain if the song reflects love lost due to a parting of the ways......or love lost due to that person passing.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Re: Jeffrey Foucault

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:24 am

Jeffrey Foucault performs Mesa, Arizona and One Part Love from Ghost Repeater

Mesa, Arizona
One Part Love
Senor (Bob Dylan)

Ghost Repeater reviewed at Amazon
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:21 pm

I have been listening to Jeffrey Foucault all week.. love his stuff... tonight ( I am just home for a bit after the folk festival and heading back out, but came across thie link below from a Mark Erelli board message....I didn't go see Mark tonight :( but I heard lots of other great music today..

I didn't know what Ghose repeater meant, now I know!!

Holed up in Iowa City for the coldest week of the year, Jeffrey Foucault teamed with legendary blues guitar player and producer Bo Ramsey (Greg Brown, Lucinda Williams) to create Ghost Repeater, a country and blues album at the crossroads of love and lament, exploring the hopefulness of new love and the seasickness of contemporary American living.
Ghost repeaters are empty radio stations scattered around the country to re-broadcast demographically tailored playlists, endless echoes of American market culture, from thousands of miles away. Epidemic sameness, big-box stores, and the retail news cycle of ghost prisoners and God on Our Side create a backdrop against which Ghost Repeater unfolds a story of love and uncertainty. There are no declarations to be had here, no easy politics, but the details of living are parsed in a language by turns elegantly plain or vividly abstract, and Foucault circles the heart of each tune warily.
Written over the course of a year in which Foucault married, Ghost Repeater juxtaposes a personal narrative of hope and beauty against the wider story of the times, in a series of travelogues and dreamscapes. Words like bloom and fade, truth and mercy, dream and memory recur through the album to create a sort of grammar, a palette of colors that Foucault and Ramsey merge with dark washes of electric guitar and vocals hushed or plaintive, in a visionary portrait of modern Americana.
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Feb 07, 2010 1:20 pm

http://www.jeffreyfoucault.com/news.html

There is a link to youtube mini session with Jeff, Peter Mulvey and a few others via Jeff's website/newsletter... such a soulful sound...love his style!!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 21, 2010 10:37 am

Can finally say I'm going to see Jeffrey Foucault live when he and Kris Delmhorst take the stage at Burlap & Bean in Newtown Square, Pa. outside Philadelphia on 4/23/10. Yes, Virginny, there is a Santa..
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Apr 21, 2010 9:17 pm

Paddy, I'm officially jealous.. enjoy and report back.. He's got that new CD of duets with Mark Erelli available at shows, so I am doubley (or would it be tripley) jealous... :D

Not to worry though I am ordering mine via Mark's site..

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:11 am

Pretty rare the chance to see Jeffrey so glad the good folks over at Burlap and Bean took my advice some time back to try and find a good time to bring Jeffrey Foucault to town. I've heard tickets are going fast so I'm doubly glad I got mine last week. Great little venue holds about 90 or so folks and SO lookin forward to seeing this show. I can pick up CDs for anyone looking to have one asap but ya gotta lemme know before tomorrow afternoon. Happy to grab extras of the new one with Mark Erelli and mail them out. I think this one's full of their favorite murder ballads if memory serves me well. On to Burlap and Bean!
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:20 am

Thanks Paddy I am all set.. I know JF had copies of it first but Mark posted he knows has it available..

I have been to B&B but only for coffee so far.. one of these days I'll be there for a show....

Enjoy

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:22 am

don't understand why I can edit sometimes and sometimes not

that is to say Mark posted he "now" has it...

2nd cup of coffee here I come..

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Apr 24, 2010 10:03 am

Sometimes ya wait a lifetime to see one of your favorite artists in concert. I waited a few years this time around. To say that on this night, last night, that it was well worth the wait, would be a serious understatement. I've seen almost each and every youtube out there to bide my time til the chance presented itself to sit in a room with the man while he performed his own songs and songs of others. The bonus I had not expected was that his wife, Kris Delmhorst, would also be there to do the same.

Though my wife and I share a great many favorites there are just too many CDs in the house for her to have latched on to all my favorites. She might have heard Ghost Repeater in passing, but as we sat waiting for the show to begin she was asking me what kind of music Jeffrey played and to give an example of who he was most like stylewise. All I could really say was that he was on a par with all of the artists we tend to gravitate towards in that they write and sing in a style all their own and fans just love them.

I knew she'd enjoy the show. She almost passed. We were treated to basically two openers before Jeffrey took the stage. Local songwriter and Burlap and Bean emcee and soundman Kyle Swartzwelder set the stage just right with his own blend of alt country that at times reminds me of the very best the genre has to offer in that it puts you in a place where you can relax, breathe, and just let the moments pass as the music washes over you. He had Tom Hampton with him on pedal steel and other guitars and it was just sublime musicianship that let you know you were in the right place at the right time and that this night was off to a wonderful start.

Kris Delmhorst was up next and if I've been taken by surprise more by an artist in "first impressions" exposure it'e been so long I can barely recall. Nevermind my being taken aback at her songs, artistry, voice, and stage presence, Pam was instantly smitten. There's a certain glance, a smile, that tells me all I need to know about how she's enjoying the artist discovery. In another room in another time I'd have shouted BINGO! Kris was just that amazingly impressive last night in her time onstage alone.

The stage was definitely set for Jeffrey Foucault.

We had arrived early enough to hear the last of soundcheck. A minute later both Jeffrey and Kris were outside briefly where patrons awaited doors. Jeffrey had this unbelievably cool jacket on and I was almost pinching myself that I was about to see him live in concert for the very first time. In all honesty, to me, at that moment, he looked like a rock star. Truth be told they both did. I guess I kind of live for moments like these, rare as they are, and savor them in those few stolen moments where here and now and what's to come is all that really matters. Shaves decades. Really.

Seems the old Jackson Browne album that was playing overhead during the breaks inpsired Jeffrey to tell a light hearted story before beginning the night's set. It revolved around a private event he was booked to play in LA that had him both questioning and suggesting that private events in LA can be a not so great idea. Simply hilarious story that had Jackson Browne in and out of the picture and back again. It was a great way to break the ice in a room he's never seen before in front of folks that mostly seemed not to know his body of work. Which brings be back to Pam. She was, for the most part, a newbie. Go figure, right? One song in, she was smiling. Two songs in, she mimicked two words. Bad Company. I resisted at first. Then I heard it, too. I didn't have the heart to tell her she had just almost ruined my very first Jeffrey Foucault live concert experience. But there it was. In all it's rock and roll fantasy. The slight tension and intensity. Paul Rogers.

I got to tell Jeffrey the story after the show. He smiled and told me his dad had sent him a Bad Company record out of the blue a while back. He liked it. Told him I didn't know how old he was but back in the day, 1975 or so, that record was the one almost everyone young and restless would be making out to in cars. Shooting Star. Bad Company. Feel Like Making Love (Duh Duh Duh...Da Duh Duh) Guess it stands to reason my very first impression of Mr. Foucault was what it was. Rock Star.

Jeffrey half kidded from the stage that he trys to get it in his contract when he's on the bill with Kris Delmhorst that he gets to go first. How she's a tough act to follow. The mutual admiration continued when she returned to the stage to end the night with a trio of covers plus one encore. Both were very relaxed and loving the discovery of the new town square. Here's a link to a few of the songs they did last night. The Sold Out show was streamed live over the internet via blogtv/burlapandbean. I didn't know. Really.

Jeffrey Foucault and Kris Delmhorst Live at Burlap and Bean

You can catch them tonight in Easton, MD. at Night Cat. If you're close enough to the area I'd say have yourself a time. We surely did.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:34 am

Paddy - what a wonderful write up - thank you. I haven't seen either of them for about 2 years and your comments make me realise how much I've missed them.

With a young daughter I guess it's difficult for them to tour the UK but I hope they return soon.

I listened to 'Seven Curses' today the Jeffrey Foucault and Mark Erelli murder ballads CD - it is SO GOOD, nice that they have chosen less obvious songs to cover (in the mix)....now a tour by those two would also make me VERY HAPPY!

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 27, 2010 7:02 am

Thanks Jela I almost brought up your name in conversation thinking surely it's a small world afterall and surely Jeffrey and Kris and you are maybe just maybe on a first name basis by now. The hour was late and they had a little one to get back to so perhaps next time I'll ask.

Here's a few photos from the show...
Jeffrey Foucault Kris Delmhorst @ Burlap and Bean

Also, want to share a bit of the love and passion that goes on behind the scenes. I easily call Burlap and Bean one of my favorite venues in the Philadelphia region and owner Tara Endicott is the reason why I'm able to do so so easily. Plain and simple, she gets it. We know each other only through our shared passion for music and her coffee shop and music venue, Burlap and Bean. I often send along a kind word of thanks for bringing in artists who are our favorites. This time around I sent her a note on Facebook thanking her for Jeffrey Foucault and Kris Delmhorst. In it was a link to this thread. I've asked Tara if she would mind me adding her response here and she was gracious enough to allow me to reprint it here for others to read. Thanks, Tara! :wink:

awesome. thank you for sending this to me.

I can't even begin to put into words how surreal last night was for me.

I opened Burlap and Bean in 2006, the same year Foucault put out Ghost Repeater. The song Mesa Arizona infiltrated my heart and saturated my soul. I jotted down a very unrealistic goal for myself along the lines of ~ get him to play your room. I have spent the last three years of my life approaching everything I do with that goal in mind. When he played that song last night it took everything within me not to let the tears roll down.

I agree with you whole-heartedly. He was worth the wait. .

Mesa, Arizona ~ The Netherlands May 2009
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:55 am

Sweet....

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Apr 27, 2010 11:04 am

Paddy,

Great write-up. Great follow-up. thanks for sharing it all. :-)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:26 pm

Wonderful photos! Great to read your posts - no we're not on first name terms with JF or KD altho' when JF played a house concert for our friends locally two or three years ago, he recognised us as 'regulars' at his shows and made a point of saying 'hello' to us.

KD always seems kind of shy to me and I just get the impression that she doesn't find it easy to talk with strangers so I don't think that I've ever had a conversation with her.

The pair of them are just wonderful singer/songwriters.....wonder if their little girl is going to eventually follow in their footsteps???

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:53 pm

At the break @ Burlap and Bean I was at merch (to beat the lines after the show) picking up all the KD, JF, and Redbird they had out. Kris, who had just wowed us with her solo set, walked up to see the stack of CDs I was purchasing. She smiled and we joked that I should get some sort of bonus for the sale. I told her how much we enjoyed her set, and you're right, she does seem a bit on the shy side. After the show, I was the last person to get to talk to Jeffrey. We were having a nice conversation that could have gone on and on and on...sensing this, and with a toddler waiting back at the house, Kris suggested to Jeffrey they were going to have to get going. I understood completely. They still had to pack up guitars and equipment and such. I'll add that from the stage, Kris smiled at the thought of the day they had spent at owner Tara Endicott's house. Tara oftentimes puts up the night's performers in her specially created guestroom in her home. I've seen photos on her facebook and it looks like a wonderful respite from the normal grind of life on the road. Kris mentioned how nice it was to drive up from Virginia, and while Philadelphia is great, it was nice to drive back country roads to the show. She smiled again at the thought of how that afternoon, with their daughter on tour with them, she was on the swings in Tara's backyard. We got a great, great show, and I can't help but believe that so much goes into how artists feel the moment they take the stage. OH, how the stars aligned for my first Jeffrey Foucault and Kris Delmhorst show. 8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun May 02, 2010 11:00 pm

Really enjoying the new CD by Mark Erelli and Jeffrey Foucault and while I love Mark Erelli's covers the two standouts for me are Tom Merritt and Cole Durhew, both Jeffrey Foucault. Here's 3 from the release:

Seven Curses ( Philadelphia Lawyer, Johnny 99, Tom Merritt)

Tom Merrit, turns out, is a poem written by poet Edgar Lee Masters in 1918 and set to music by Richard Buckner. I've been told by John1977 that the album where RB recorded Tom Merritt is hauntingly beautiful.

So, a quick search for Cole Durhew led me here, to a house concert where the song is performed by it's creator, Tom House. He sounds as though he may be Canadian. It's a bit hard to make out all the lyrics. The video gets a bit shaky towards the end, but when the cameraman exits the scene as the song winds down, well, you just can't help but enjoy the artistic shades it adds to this haunting tale of a man, we're led to believe, who stands falsely accused of murder.

Cole Durhew ~ Tom House
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”