Owen Plant

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

renee

Owen Plant

Postby renee » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:36 pm

I love how organized this board is, i think i posted something in a different column, and whooosh! it got filed in the appropriate slot. sweet.
I saw Owen Plant play Saturday night at club passim. I actually saw him the first time a couple of years ago opening for a Ellis Paul New Year's eve show. I thought he was different. And then a friend of mine kept going on about this guy she knew that played and we went about a month ago to the Gulu Gulu cafe in Lynn, MA to see Owen play. I don't go out in Lynn often, its nightlife is more subs and brew with a street ambiance, but this cafe is really stellar.
Anyway, I digress...
Owen Plant mentioned Sat. how he had opened for Ellis Paul the night before in Hartford Ct. His music is lyrically eccentric, deviating between themes of lost love and politics and spiritual references. He's clever and funny and probably one of the nicest performers I've met. And, while the style and lyrics are all his own, he has a vocal sound that mimics James Taylor, (sorry!) Apparently so many people compare his voice to James Taylor its more of an annoyance than a compliment.
All I can say is go, go, go...but...you'll have to wait because he won't be back in Boston until March. check out his schedule at www.owenplant.com
peace to you

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:42 pm

Looks like he doesn't have much of anything coming up soon, but thank you for the heads up. I'll keep an eye out.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:56 pm

I saw him open for Ryanhood at Passim in July. I really enjoyed him! I even started a thread like this one on a different artist's board.

I particularly like his song Por Favor Querida.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Owen Plant

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 18, 2006 2:02 pm

Renee,

I wanted to make sure Ellis would see your "special request"...and I know he's more likely to read things in the Clarity forum...which is why I moved it there. Thanks for the comments though. I'm sure I've said many times in the past that being organized is an occupational hazard of working as a librarian. :)

KarenZ

renee wrote:I love how organized this board is, i think i posted something in a different column, and whooosh! it got filed in the appropriate slot. sweet.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Sep 18, 2006 8:00 pm

Owen Plant's sound has been playing on my laptop for a half hour now as I surf the net tonite. His sound is def on a level of mellow with the father/son lineage of James and Ben Taylor coming to mind. I like it and appreciate the heads up too. Seems he's off to Queensland to hang in the bush for 9 days with his guitar, then an upcoming gig in Houston, Tx. on Oct.7. His website, while cool and interesting and playing his songs well enough, I can't seem to navigate to bio, news, or merch at all.

I'll keep trying tho......thanks renee.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Sep 18, 2006 10:42 pm

Owen has a Myspace too. www.myspace.com/oplant
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

astralweeks

Owen Plant / double show Fri, April 27th @ Passim

Postby astralweeks » Sun Apr 01, 2007 7:34 pm

Hey all,

Just thought I'd tell everyone that Owen Plant has a double show (7pm and 10pm) at Club Passim in Cambridge, MA on Fri, April 27th. The shows will feature a wonderful slide guitarist who is getting a lot of buzz lately, Pat Wictor. Check Pat Wictor out at:

www.myspace.com/patwictor

For those of you who have seen Owen perform before, be on the lookout for some new material from an upcoming album he is recording as a side project with tv/movie composer Christopher Tyng (the OC, Rescue Me, Futurma). The reggae-infused feel-good 8) music will be under the band name "the Sunshine Brothers."

Feed the muse,

David

www.clubpassim.org
www.myspace.com/oplant
www.owenplant.com

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Apr 02, 2007 6:49 am

I am pretty sure that Pat Wictor has played with Ellis in the past. I recall listening to a radio interview that Ellis did prior to playing in New York (about a year or so ago) and I'm certain he mentioned that Pat Wictor was accompanying him.

Can anyone else confirm if I'm right or am I imaginging things????

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:14 am

Jela...I remember reading about it, too...so you are not imagining it.
I bet you could use the Search Feature on the forum and find exactly where Pat Wictor joined Ellis onstage for a show......just did. Here ya go:

Shari wrote:

You got the setlist right! I will be posting to the setlist site tonight.
It was a great show. The guests were Pat Wictor and Radislov Lorkovic.
I also noticed the "rumble of the subway train" and thought it was very well timed.

Love that search feature..... :D
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Apr 02, 2007 7:51 am

Thanks Paddy. I'll have to remember that search feature in future.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 02, 2007 8:26 am

Jela,

As we used to say in Texas...... t'ain't nothing.

I'm such a fan of search engines like Google, and just beyond thrilled that the software on this forum includes the "search" feature. Helps old timers like me with almost "instant" recall. :D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:20 am

Jela,

I saw Pat Wictor open for Ellis at Godfrey-Daniels in Bethlehem, PA on April 15, 2005. BeckyG was with me on that road trip. I'm certain that was the first time Ellis and Pat met....and they did a couple songs together totally unrehearsed. It was fabulous....and I remember that the sound that night was exquisite. Pat did a version of Dave Carter's "gentle arms of eden" that knocked my socks off. I'm pretty sure when Ellis did the nudist colony gig in Paw Paw, WV (thankfully I was not there ;)) Pat and he played together....and at other shows/festivals since then.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:49 am

The "nudist colony" gig???

That's either too much information or not nearly enough. :lol:

Inquiring minds like mine would love to hear "the rest of the story." :P

If anyone knows it, of course, and is willing to share it with us..... :wink:

I guess the logical question that pops up ( no pun intended, REALLY! )

Was Ellis dressed for the occasion?
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Apr 02, 2007 10:08 am

Paddy,

The nudist colony gig is the Avalon Folk Festival. According to Ellis, his booking agency told him that John Gorka had played there.....and wanting to follow in the footsteps of one of his early heros he decided that if Gorka did it, so would he. ;)

When telling the story about the experience playing Avalon, Ellis says that performers are told that they can overcome nervousness in front of an audience by picturing the members of the audience naked - supposedly it gives the perfomer a feeling of power. However, according to Ellis....when the audience members truly ARE naked, one feels totally powerLESS. :D

Avalon Folk Festival

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:08 am, edited 1 time in total.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Apr 02, 2007 11:06 am

Karen,

Thanks for the "rest of the story" ....an INSTANT CLASSIC in my book. :lol:

The question of the day NOW is:

Could Ellis' next gig at Avalon gather the kind of momentum experienced leading up to and following the show at Jonathan's in Ogunquit, Me. last August?

Who's in? :P
paddy

astralweeks

Postby astralweeks » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:12 pm

My question is:

If you are playing at a nudist colony, do you want to have a standing ovation?

Glad to see Pat Wictor struck a chord--he's a great performer.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 04, 2007 12:28 am

Astral Weeks......welcome to the forum.

I'm sure Ellis would have a clever response to your question, If only we could get him to join in on the discussion. Has me wondering though, would artists like Ellis Paul and John Gorka mix it up a little?

Ellis could sing:

"I'm the one who is dressed at the table" :P

John could sing:

You might like, the gypsy life
Judge your progress by the
Phases of the nude.

:shock:

:lol:
paddy

astralweeks

Postby astralweeks » Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:46 pm

Thanks for the welcome. It's nice to have a forum to discuss artists people might not be familar with. It can kind of work like the suggestions on Amazon.com, "If you like Ellis Paul, you might like..."

For those of you going to Owen Plant/Pat Wictor show on April 27th, Pat should be sitting in on a couple of Owen's songs. Should be fun. Members from Owen's former band, Shake Senora, will also be joining the stage...

-David

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Apr 26, 2007 2:25 pm

renee wrote:Hello ellisites!
I posted about a musician who opens for Ellis sometimes named Owen Plant. He is originally from Jamaica and his culture lends a very upbeat and compassionate vibe to his music. But, really he is a great songwriter and has a beautiful voice. He is playing at Club Passim tomorrow the 27th, 2 shows 7 & 10pm and you could still get a ticket. I would hurry though, it will probably sell out.
These are the last shows of his NE tour so you better catch him while he's here.
Warm, funny, engaging. It's like being in the islands at his shows. Just think of it as saving $1000 on a tropical vacation. So really go ahead, buy a cd too, you're on vacation. :)

Return to “Looking for My Friends”