Friday, July 21
Rutland, VT - Private

Saturday, July 22
Shoreham, VT - Champlain Orchards
VT Land Trust Annual Celebration
2955 Rt. 74 West
2-3:30pm
Members $12; Non-members $18
Vermont wine and cheese tasting is an additional $10.

Saturday, July 22
Yarmouth, ME - Yarmouth Clam Festival
Main Street
9:30pm

http://www.slaidcleaves.com for more info about tours in the
North East.

He's gonna have to do some REALLY fast driving to get from Shoreham to Yarmouth in six hours.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:12 am

The Clam Festival ! ! ! ! That would be cool.
Jeff

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Jun 23, 2006 7:14 am

I might have to rethink that weekend.

He may not have to drive that fast:

Shoreham to Yarmouth:

Total Est. Time: 4 hours, 34 minutes
Total Est. Distance: 252.12 miles
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Jun 23, 2006 9:43 am

Slaid Cleaves Shoreham, VT:

http://www.vlt.org/celebration06/

Slaid Cleaves Yarmouth, ME:

http://www.clamfestival.com/home.php

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jun 30, 2006 7:25 am

I've been listening to the new CD 'Unsung' this week - had a long car journey on Wednesday so played it on repeat for a few hours. Its a great collection of songs that Slaid Cleaves has chosen, very astute choices in my opinion and to be honest unless you didn't know otherwise you'd think they were his compositions as he makes them his own.

Just love his voice - there's a yearning (for something/someone) that always makes him sound so heartfelt and makes you really get into the songs. Delighted that he's coming over later this year so will get to see him again.

Once when we went to see him in London, I forgot my ticket (dumbo!) then thought no problem I'll just pay again on the door - however the box office wasn't open and there were 'sold out' signs everywhere!!! What to do? Let's have something to eat and see if when the box office opens they can track my credit card down and verify that I had bought a ticket...as luck would have it whilst we were eating, Slaid and Gurf Morlix came in so I explained what had happened, Slaid said ' no problem, I'll put you on my guest list' so problem solved. As always, the show was great and although he was a hero to me before that incident he became a superhero that evening.

Jela

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:22 am

What a great story Jela. I have only the Wishbones CD. At first listen I thought, "This is way too 'country' for my tastes," but after several more listens, it became one of my favorites. I'm looking forward to seeing him in Vermont in July, especially since I'll be there with some favorite cousins.

Sue Ellen

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:50 am

You'll have a great time - we've been to a good few shows both in the UK and US, seeing him solo as well as with a band (as well as the Woody Guthrie tribute show, which Ellis was also a part of) and he never fails to deliver.

'Broke Down' was the CD that really made him popular over here, got airplay on BBC Radio 2 and he's done some live radio sessions for one or two influential DJs which broadened his audience.

He's worked really hard over the years, touring, touring, touring and now through his latest CD is giving his time to promoting other 'new' singer/songwriters. Lovely guy!

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:59 am

Great to hear from Slaid Cleaves fans here, and he did what I wish so many of the bigger names in the biz would do. That is, to bring great songs by unknown artists to the light of day. I refer to JT and THE BOSS.

Too many years pass between releases for these greats and so many deserving songwriters. At the very least, let them open a few shows for you now and then. They never, ever have openers, those two.

My wife bought me the new one, can't say I've played it yet, but I'll get there. LOVE Slaid's early stuff with Broke Down and No Angel Knows. I'll give myself a refresher soon and be able to say more at that time.

Saw him at Kerrville one year and then BUMBERSHOOT in Seattle a few years ago while living there. He was amazing both times.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:58 am

Have seen Slaid live quite a few times and am looking forward to seeing him at the WoodyFest in less than 2 weeks. Oddely enough he's here in Pittsburgh the day AFTER I return from WoodyFest, so I will probably NOT go. Haven't gotten his brand new CD, but have been hearing tracks from it while listening online to WUMB....and enjoying what I've been hearing. And you gotta love those rosy cheeks of his. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

PeteM

Postby PeteM » Sat Jul 01, 2006 8:03 pm

Slaid used to be a native child in these parts, and played around with his band, Moxie Men. His first CD has been reissued and is definitely worth picking up. It shows all the talent that has just continued to develop over the years. And, it has some Moxie Men cuts as a bonus! I still haven't picked up the new one, but its on the list. Along with way too many others. The budget can't afford all the new music out there :!:
Peter

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:18 pm

Was in Yarmouth today and picked up a flyer for the Clam Festival, and was very amused to read this:
Slaid Cleaves at NYA. Eclectic, award-winning American/country roots singer-songwriter from Austin, Texas.

You'd think for the Clam Festvial we might have remembered where he is really "from".......
Jeff

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:30 pm

They think he is from "away." He must have been living in exile too long.

Sue Ellen

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:50 pm

Hmmm - good point Sue Ellen. He has been away a while.....

Or maybe the folks printing the program in Yarmouth are from away and don't realize what they have done :)
Jeff

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:45 am

that is the more likely scenario, Jeff.
Either that or Slaid wants them to believe he's really a Texan (got to get rid of those flannel shirts, though) :wink: then he can shock them by eating those clam bellies with gusto!
-wendy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:37 am

Yum.

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:40 am

Clams...... mmmmmmmm

Was torn yesterday between a Lobster Roll or a plate of real fried clams when I was in Yarmouth. Went with the Lobster Roll, but it was a tough call......
Jeff

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:31 am

Man, If you lived down here by the Bay, you'd be going for the clams all the way...You can get lobbies if you want to pay 15 bucks a pound, but there's not a real fried clam to be found anywhere, just those stupid crabs...i just don't get it.

christyT

Slaid at Gruene Hall

Postby christyT » Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:20 am

I saw Slaid this past Friday night at Gruene Hall. He was fantastic (as always)! This was his first time playing the "big stage"....and he mentioned a few times the "old days" of playing the front room to a handfull of people. He is charming and humble and his voice gives me goosebumps -- especially on Lydia. He didn't write it, but it sounds to me like it was made for his voice! I love the new CD Unsung...current favorites are Roberta and Flowered Dresses (coincidentally, also written by Karen Posten who wrote Lydia).

I have a rough life here in south texas...Slaid Cleaves on Friday night, Sam Baker opened at the Cactus Cafe for Ellis Paul with side man DonCon on Saturday night...i MUST be livin' right! 8)

Best to you all,
christy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:31 am

Well, the six and a half hour drive from Worcester MA to Shoreham VT in the monsoon that rolled through New England Saturday was well worth the four songs I caught at the end of Slaid Cleaves show Saturday afternoon in Shoreham VT. :oops:

I understand from my cousin that the show started a half hour late because some verbose vermonter (yes, that is an oxymoron) from the VT Land Trust, which sponsored the event, spoke FOREVER. Slaid played an hour set and then had to run off to some clam festival thingy up in Yarmouth. I hope his drive was better than mine.

Even though he was in a yank, he signed my CD for me...I told him he definitely sounded like he was from away and he said you couldn't sound like a Yank in TX (definitely sounds like from away). When I said my name was Sue Ellen he asked where I was from; I said I was actually from Rutland. He said, "Oh I played there last night." I said, "I know, it was a private party but I wasn't invited." He laughed and said, "Well that's a good thing." Apparently he'd played at the Rutland jail...
:shock:

Anyway even though those four songs were really, really good, I'm glad he's coming to Frederick Maryland in a few weeks.

Sue Ellen

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Mon Jul 24, 2006 7:37 am

Oh, two other things. I told Slaid I had an Ellis Paul Lapel pin for his wife, because I didn't think he'd wear one. He said, "Oh, I'd wear one." So Karen, I'll have to replenish my supply.

And, I'm thinking of adding him to my swoonworthy list to double it :lol:

Sue Ellen

christyT

swoonworthy...

Postby christyT » Mon Jul 24, 2006 8:43 am

OH...that charm and those incredible eyes seem to me to make him QUITE swoonworthy!!! :shock: What a sweetie!

i say -- swoon away, sue ellen!!! :wink:

christy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jul 24, 2006 9:14 am

Sue Ellen, you are more of a road warrior than I'll ever be! :D Glad you had a great time, although you were robbed of a full setlist. I still ahve about 50 lapel pins and will definitely be bringing them to Ogunquit. (Hmm...another reason to maybe try to make the show in Shirley the night before.) And did you know Slaid's wife's name is Karen? ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jul 24, 2006 10:46 am

Sue Ellen,

Coincidentally, there was an article about Slaid Cleaves in Austin's American-Statesman this past Friday titled "They're not from here . . .but many musicians are finding they need to get here to get noticed by the industry". Poor Slaid....no matter where he is, he's pegged as being "from away". ;)

Austin American-Statesman

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jul 24, 2006 11:15 am

The funny thing about being from away. The Band called IV Theives at the fest yesterday are from Liverpool. But they now call Austin, Texas home.

It worked for Jimi Hendrix. Going elsewhere to get noticed. Besides, Austin has a great music scene and is one dripping cool town.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Sep 14, 2006 10:20 am

I put the Sellersville Theater in my favorites a while back. Good thing!!!

Found this just now and it's high time I saw Slaid again and Mary for the first time. I hear this venue is really old and restored and a great place to hear a concert. If I can make it I'll let y'all know.

Double Bill:
Mary Gauthier
&
Slaid Cleaves

Two Top-of-Their-Game
Singer Song-writers

Thursday, September 21, 2006
8:00pm - $17.50*
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:42 am

Had the privilege of seeing a complete Slaid Cleaves show last night in Frederick Maryland; it definitely made up for the debacle last summer when I was caught in a monsoon and made it to a show in Vermont for only the last four songs.

Slaid Cleaves has such a beautiful voice, and his bandmates really compliment it wonderfully. The venue is one of my favorites, the Westside Cafe. Small, holds about forty, and I was pleased that the beer selection, which is sometimes pitiful, included Magic Hat last night.

I really enjoyed the intamacy of the setting and the banter between Slaid, his bandmates, and the audience. Especially the two songs during which Slaid forgot the words and had to ask for assistance...one of them was "Borderline" which is, I think, the most painful song I've heard. And my current favorite Slaid Cleaves tune.

And I must regrettfully report that Slaid is definitely "from away" now...he says "KindERgARTEN" instead of "Kindahgah-in"...a sure give away.

Sue Ellen

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:58 am

I can't remember precisely where in Maine Slaid was born, but in the northern reaaches we actually pronounce our R's (although living in Massachusetts is putting some pressure on mine.....).

Sounds like a great show though Sue Ellen. Glad you could see him - it has been many years for me (too many).
Jeff

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Oct 11, 2006 3:33 am

We saw Slaid Cleaves last night, he played a small theatre in Chichester where the crowd was a very healthy size and the reception he received was great.

In support were 'Albert & Gage' from Austin (new to us) and very very good. Chris Gage then continued as Slaid's sideman for his complete set playing guitar, accordion and a baby Grand piano! The addition of CG really did add something different to Slaid's music and it was wonderful to listen to a different presentation of some old songs and of course to hear a selection from the new CD 'Unsung'. SC also played a new/unrecorded song 'Beautiful Thing' which we did hear him sing live at a Peace Rally in Austin two years ago.

Judging by the brisk trade that his wife Karen was doing on the merch table, I think that he made a lot of new fans last night. It was the first time that this particular venue had put on 'roots' music and hopefully, given the interest, will put on more similar shows. They had a competition for an Eliza Gilyson CD and we were asked to note dowm the names of artists that we'd like to see there - guess who was my No 1????

Anyway, great evening and if you get the chance to see him, with Chris Gage (and the piano!) then go, go, go as you will have a super time.

Oh, by the way, he signed my CD but didn't play my request - guess you can't have it all!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 11, 2006 12:21 pm

Jela, thanks for the report. I heard Albert & Gage more than 6 years ago when they opened for Jimmy Dale Gilmore. I guess all those Texans stick together. ;)

KarenZ

john1977

Slaid Cleaves..."Everything You Love Will Be Taken Away"

Postby john1977 » Tue Apr 28, 2009 7:20 am

Hey all,

I don't know if this has already been discussed here but Slaid Cleaves' new album is EXCELLENT. Slaid is from my hometown of Souh Berwick, ME and it seems as if I've been listening to his music for most of my life...He used to come into my Junior High School every year and play his own songs and talk to us about Woody Guthrie and I've been a huge fan of his for as long as I can remember. Of course, he's a staple of the Austin music scene now and we couldn't be more proud of him here in South Berwick...I'm very excited that he, Ellis Paul and Carol Noonan will be sharing the stage together at LL Bean's free summer concert series in August...maybe I'll see some of you there!

"Everything You Love Will Be Taken Away" is an amazing album and I hope you all get a chance to hear it...I should also mention that my friend, the amazing singer/songwriter Dan Blakeslee did the cover art for Slaid's record and it's incredible...

Well, hope all of you are well...see ya!

John

paddyinthepub

Re: Slaid Cleaves..."Everything You Love Will Be Taken Away"

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 28, 2009 8:03 am

John

Good to hear from you about Slaid Cleaves and how far back you guys go. His name popped up yesterday in an email I rec'd y'day about some of the venues he has played and will play in Pittsburgh upcoming. I wasn't aware he had a new one out BUT that's all over now, baby blue! :D

I've been a fan of Slaid's for many a year, myself, and I'm really surprised we have yet to start a thread about him here. So GLAD you did this morning and when I get the new record I'll thank you again, I'm sure!!! :wink:

The way Slaid's name always came up at Ellis Paul concerts when he used to talk about writing SHE WAS with Slaid Cleaves and one other in the back of a van on a roadtrip I guess it just felt like we had us a Slaid Cleaves thread going here.

What a title for an album -- can hardly wait to get it in the house.

Thanks again! 8)
paddy

Richard + Jela

Re: Slaid Cleaves

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat May 16, 2009 1:41 pm

There's a great article about Slaid Cleaves in the Austin American Statesman

Slaid Cleaves article

Amazing to read where he gets some of his inspiration from!

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat May 16, 2009 5:44 pm

Here's Slaid Cleaves at the Ironhorse in North Hampton. Ma. singing the title track to his new release: Cry
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon May 18, 2009 2:14 pm

Thanks, Jela!

After reading this, I can't wait to get the new CD!

KarenZ

Richard + Jela wrote:There's a great article about Slaid Cleaves in the Austin American Statesman

Slaid Cleaves article

Amazing to read where he gets some of his inspiration from!

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Oct 14, 2009 4:48 am

Saw Slaid Cleaves last night at The Luminaire in London, accompanied by Michael O'Connor. They both played acoustic guitars. Great to hear the new songs as well as old favourites. Played for 90 minutes to a very enthused crowd; it's a standing venue which I always think adds more atmosphere to a show. Finished the evening with a second encore an unplugged version of 'Key Chain'

Wonderful evening!

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Oct 14, 2009 6:54 am

You sure do get out to hear lots of great music...lucky you :D
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Oct 14, 2009 8:06 am

We were just talkin about Slaid Cleaves here the other day ~ Pam saying he was looking really good these days ~ me knowing exactly what she meant by that. So glad to see you and Richard taking full advantage of our heroes crossing the pond. 8)

Would love to see photos in due time ..... :wink:
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Oct 14, 2009 12:01 pm

Paddy - Richard doesn't always take his camera as he doesn't use flash and some venues are not lit well enough to enable decent photos. He did take some of Sam Baker on his recent UK tour and of Josh Ritter when he played in Brighton so since you've asked, I'll post links to them under their specific Looking For My Friends discussion forum.

Patti - yes it's a bit mad at the moment with so many artists touring over here. I've been to four shows in a week and Richard to five!

Oh and we get to go see Rad on Sunday! Woo Hoo!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:41 am

Folks,

Slaid will be on WUMB's Live At Noon today!

http://www.wumb.org

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:00 pm

I am SO looking forward to seeing him at WoodyFest!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:27 am

Folks,

Slaid will be the guest on WUMB's Live at Noon this Friday, Oct. 7, 2011. 8)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:10 am

We recently went to see Slaid Cleaves play in London and my review of the show is on 'No Depression'

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Oct 09, 2011 8:39 am

I may have said this before, but Jela I love reading your reviews. You really make the reader feel like they were there. Sometimes I am not familiar with the music you are writing about, but by the end of the aritcle I feel I know it or I must make sure I get to know it.

Nice work :)
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:20 am

Ditto from me! :-)

KarenZ

Patti wrote:I may have said this before, but Jela I love reading your reviews. You really make the reader feel like they were there. Sometimes I am not familiar with the music you are writing about, but by the end of the aritcle I feel I know it or I must make sure I get to know it.

Nice work :)

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Oct 10, 2011 12:20 pm

Aaaw thank you ladies! Very much appreciate your comments.

The nicest compliment I can receive is for someone who wasn't at a concert to feel as if they were there after reading my review - if I can do that then it's mission accomplished!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Nov 15, 2011 11:21 am

Slaid came in at #92 on WUMB's Top 100 of 2011 announced yesterday.

WUMB Top 100 - 2011

KarenZ

Return to “Looking for My Friends”