Willy Porter

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

mm

Willy Porter

Postby mm » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:43 am

I would highly encourage in regards to September 11th to check out Willy Porter's brand new CD Available Light, just out this week. On it is a poignant, beautiful song called One More September written from the viewpoint of a girl who lost her mother five years ago in the song on Sep 11th.
Willy is a wordsmith, a brilliant guitar player, a sensitive and very funny performer live, and an all-around incredible artist. I recommend him highly. One of the nicest people you'll ever meet, too.

wendy

Postby wendy » Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:55 am

Haven't heard Willy's newest CD yet, but I second mm's comments on his abilities. We heard him open for Robert Earl Keene (take note, Paddy :) ) a couple of years ago and he was spectacular!

Thanks for the heads-up, mm!
-wendy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:44 pm

I saw him once when Flynn opened. I only caught a few songs, but I liked what I heard. :D
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 11, 2006 12:52 pm

I saw him once years and years ago...and remember that I really liked him. He had the audience toss out random words and phrases.....and he wrote a song on the spot using the stuff tossed out. I mean, somebody yelled out "lasagna" and I think somebody else yelled out "dead dog"....and somehow he managed to weave all the words/phrases together....and it developed into a pretty good song. It was darn impressive. Fun too. :D

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

mm

Postby mm » Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:39 pm

Willy is a genius (truly), and it is always impressive (and very, very funny) to hear him link the audience participation words into songs. It's amazing to watch his fingers work the guitar fretboard...truly one of the best guitarists around.

Tupelogirl#2

Postby Tupelogirl#2 » Sat Nov 11, 2006 10:26 pm

Just saw Willy last night at The Tupelo..with another member from this board...who could it be?? :roll:

He put on another amazing show! Very different from the last time I saw him. The last time he was acoustic with just Dave (his keyboardist). This time he brought a full band...Dave, plus a drummer and bassist. What a show! He is an amazing songwriter (he wrote a song off the cuff for the audience last night that was a riot!) And, watching him play the guitar is an amazing experience. His fingers fly so fast!! And it sounds like two or three guitars at times.

In addition to putting on a fantastic show, he is such a nice guy. Stayed after the show for quite a while meeting and greeting the fans, from 2 years old to, oh maybe 70! :o

If you get a chance, go see Willy Porter ~ you will be glad you did!
Tumbleweeds
Dance on the ground
Armadillos (poor little guys)
Upside down

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sun Nov 12, 2006 9:56 am

Maybe I'll try to get down to the 8X10 in Baltimore to hear him Thursday night.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

mm

Postby mm » Wed Nov 15, 2006 8:29 pm

If you get a chance to see him, Sue Ellen, by all means do so.
Laura, it was so nice meeting you at Willy's show and you guys do such a great job there at Tupelo.

Willy was amazing, as ever, and playing with his band added a whole new dimension to his sound and performance. Another side of him.
Laura, I'll post our photo when I can.
Monica

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Nov 17, 2006 9:17 am

I got to see Willy Porter and his band at the 8X10 in Baltimore last night. It was my second time at that venue, and I really love it; it's in the Federal Hill section of Baltimore, near Fort McHenry, home of the Star Spangled Banner. Really, really NARROW streets.

I am so glad I went; what a voice. There was a mix of songs, with a few instrumental pieces thrown in, and I really loved the mix of the band. Willy Porter gets bonus points, One More September brought unexpected tears.

I would second Monica's advice that you should definitely see this talented man if you get the chance.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

mm

Re: Willy Porter

Postby mm » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:01 pm

Willy has a new promo up for his new CD "How to Rob Bank," that I produced with Marc Serra and the Mostly Rock 'N Roll crew.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oo_19YWwEW4

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:33 am

Monica - great quality video and congrats on the producer credit for it.

I know that he's one of your favourite musicians and you look lovely sitting there next to him interviewing him about the new CD.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:49 am

Indeed, this piece sounds and looks fantastic! Nice job Willy and Monica ~ sent the link a friends way and she loved it.... 8)

Love the familiar opening line when Willy sings......

My name is Bradley Wilson...... 8)

Ellis Paul fans are sure to pick up on it.... :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”