Bob Dylan

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Bob Dylan

Postby KarenZ » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:54 pm

I guess we're a little behind on initiating a Bob Dylan thread. ;)

You may know that Dylan recently released Modern Times. You can watch a video performance of Dylan & Band doing "Cold Irons Bound" (an unreleased live version included in the deluxe DVD package) on Amazon.com at the link below.

I had a really hard time understanding the lyrics on the video. Typical Dylan...at least to my ears. I do like the suit jacket he's wearing though. ;)

Bob Dylan performing "cold irons bound"

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Re: Bob Dylan

Postby bonuela » Thu Sep 07, 2006 3:27 pm

KarenZ wrote:I had a really hard time understanding his lyrics. Typical Dylan...

I truly believe Dylan to be one of the greatest songwriters of our times. That being said, the man should not be allowed to sing in public. I'm sorry. :?

Good job for him hitting #1 for the first time in ages. 8)
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 11, 2006 7:38 pm

I can't believe I'm gonna say this. On the drive home from work today, I heard another song from Modern Times titled "when the deal goes down".....and.....umm......I liked it! :shock: It was slow and waltz-y ....and I could understand most of the lyrics....and Dylan's voice was...well....kinda nice. Sorta soothing even. How can that be?? :shock: It reminded me of an old Elvis recording.....I mean...it didn't really sound like Dylan. Bonnie....maybe we've been all wrong about him. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

EllisFanInParis

Postby EllisFanInParis » Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:01 am

Exclusive Preview: Bob Dylan's 'Tell Tale Signs'

Listen to 'Tell Tale Signs' on NPR, in extenso, or song by song.

Hervé

Bob Dylan is widely regarded as America's greatest living songwriter.

NPR.org, September 30, 2008 - Widely regarded as America's greatest living songwriter, Bob Dylan has written and recorded some of the most influential and acclaimed music of the past century. With countless studio albums, compilations and live discs to his name in his nearly 50-year career, Dylan continues to produce new music that's as vital as his earliest recordings, and still performs more than 100 concerts every year in what's been called the "never-ending tour."

For the legions of fans who still can't get enough, Dylan's longtime label (Columbia Records) has been releasing a series of "bootleg" CDs from the singer — a vast collection of rare recordings and outtakes spanning five decades. The series began in 1991 with the first three bootleg volumes, covering the first 30 years of Dylan's career. Now, 17 years later, Columbia is about to release the eighth volume. Tell Tale Signs covers Dylan's past 20 years, a period that produced the albums Time Out of Mind, Love and Theft, Modern Times and Oh Mercy. Tell Tale Signs offers a rare glimpse into Dylan's creative process, with alternate takes that show the evolution of his work, as his songs take shape lyrically and musically.

Columbia recently gave listeners an early taste of Tell Tale Signs by offering the track "Dreamin' of You" as a free download from Dylan's Web site. You can also hear the song on the latest episode of All Songs Considered. Here, NPR Music offers a sneak preview of the entire two-disc set as a free stream. The album will be officially released in stores and online on Oct. 7.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:10 pm

Travelling in the car today with my niece and her friend who are up from Texas. Both are seniors in college and want to the see as much as they can during their stay. So far we've managed Valley Forge, Hershey, and Amish country, Pa. with Philadelphia on tap for tomorrow.

The rental car had xm satellite radio and we had it tuned to the coffeehouse. When a song would come on I was unfamiliar with my niece would simply hit the info button and the song title and artist would pop up. 8)

Heard lots of good tunes.....most I knew and a few I didn't. One in particular came on, I liked it plenty, but hadn't a clue who was singing. By then all I had to do was look my niece's way and she'd dutifully hit the info button for me. Ahh, The Wallflowers! That's Bob Dylan's son, ya know! Music man that I am I am duty bound to make sure the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed. Wait, you girls do know who Bob Dylan is, don't you?

Nope! :shock:

:oops:

How do you explain Bob Dylan to those unaware.......well, I did my best to bring them up to speed. Even sang them a line of one song to emphasize that not all of his songs were sung in a voice you'd call pretty.

So in my worst Bob Dylan impersonation voice........I sang:

E-V-E-R-Y-B-O-D-Y M-U-S-T G-E-T S-T-O-N-E-D

They remain clueless!

:lol:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:02 am

Paddy I bet you felt so all alone... :lol:

cute story...
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Dec 11, 2008 9:15 pm

Patti

I felt positively archaic

:roll:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jan 15, 2010 10:48 am

Hey, all you Dylan fans! This coming Monday - Jan. 18, 2010 - is the 35th anniversary of Dylan's Blood on the Tracks. To commemorate this auspicious event, WYEP in Pittsburgh is playing tracks from the album throughout the day as well as playing exclusive covers done by Pittsburgh area musicians and bands - including one of my favorites: Bill Deasy! More info at the link below.

WYEP's Anniversary of Bob Dylan's 'Blood on the Tracks'

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:24 am

Karen....thank you for sharing the link. We can stream wyep at the house so hopefully I'll be here listenin in for Bill Deasy covering Bob Dylan's Tangled Up In Blue. WOW! Must be a live recording from the old days with The Gathering Field? We'll see....

On a Dylan related side note, I am reading "Big Man" by Clarence Clemmons (with Don Reo) of the E Street Band (great read btw) and one of the many wonderful stories found within includes Bob Dylan!

8)
paddy

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:03 pm

Sweet - my favorite Dylan album.....
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue May 24, 2011 8:11 am

All Dylan, all day TODAY!

From the WUMB website:

On Bob Dylan's 70th birthday - May 24th, we’ll play the top 70 songs voted by our listeners from 6am-10pm; we'll post a list of the 70 songs by Noon. You’ll also get a chance to win one of several copies of the latest addition to the Bob Dylan: Bootleg Series, a concert from 1963 recorded right here in Massachusetts at Brandeis University. Join us on May 28th for an hour-long special “Like A Rolling Stone.”

Happy 70th Bob! :shock:

KarenZ

Return to “Looking for My Friends”