Counting Crows - August and Everything After

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Counting Crows - August and Everything After

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:03 pm

Seems like yesterday this music first appeared on the American Music scene. My then girlfriend and I had the cassette ( a lil slow to change ) and did not listen to side 2 for close to a week. We ( she's now my wife ) now have most all their CDs and Pam has always had a "thing" for Adam Duritz's voice. We saw them live a handful of times early on and always enjoyed the concerts. Once he took the stage with a walkin cane after having suffered some kind of spill and leg or foot injury. That was the tour for Recovering The Satellites, their stellar follow up to their debut.

Reports are these guys were flying well below the radar for months after the record came out. Seems they were on tour over in Europe and having all kinds of fun doing these songs for audiences. Then, said Adam, it all changed. Kurt Cobain died. All of sudden they were deemed the next big thing. Whoa.......no wonder Adam Duritz has struggled with fame.

A good friend of mine was hanging out in a club in New Orleans not long after their star had risen. He was standing along the back wall just enjoying the music on stage. Then who saunters up beside my friend to also stand at the back wall of the club but Adam Duritz. My friend is way laid back and not the least bit star struck and had a bit of a chat with Adam about music and how hard it's been for him to go anywhere anymore without folks coming up and engaging him about this thing or another. A few minutes passed and sure enough people recognized him and it was over just like that.

Today August 31, 2006 marks the 13th Anniversary of the release of this fine, fine debut Album by Counting Crows.

August and Everything After

If you have it you know. If you don't have it, you should.

I believe it's on Ellis Paul's desert island discs list.

Ours too!

Wxpn has been playing the thing in it's entirety while I've been posting this.

mmmm good. :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

care

counting crows

Postby care » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:26 pm

they have a new "live" album out - paddy have you checked it out?
i like "St. Robinson's Cadillac Dream"

i'm familiar with a bunch of counting crows songs. they have a good sound to them... folky-poppy kinda thing :P

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:47 am

Alert!!! Friday Feb.08, 2008

Counting Crows live in concert TODAY at noon.

World Cafe Live and WXPN radio in Philadelphia hosts the band today at noon.

http://www.xpn.org/concerts_events/freeatnoon.php

You can listen live at 12pm EST/9am PST
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 08, 2008 3:25 pm

care,

don't have the new live album from counting crows yet ( Amsterdam?), but i did finally pick up their "across a live wire" live album (NYC) and like it alot.

the wxpn free at noon concert will re-air this sunday at noon and will also be available over at www.npr.org in the archives of free at noon.

personally I found adam duritz more full of himself than ever and while that used to be a really good thing for him and his fans musically -- i found his between song banter during the concert today where he set the songs up to be, well, somewhat self absorbed and a little boring.

What most folks did not hear, about a half hour after the concert, was adam sitting down with one of the deejays on the air talking about how cool it was to have a radio station where he could play 8 of the new songs in concert a full month before the new record is out. He said public radio and public tv and public art is a great thing and needs to be supported.

He said in the interview the band will play a bunch of free shows in front of Apple stores in the near future and that he screwed up a few times during the set just finished but caught himself both times.

the new record is coming out on march 25th and is called:

"saturday nights and sunday mornings"
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 26, 2008 7:54 am

This links NPR's archive of Counting Crows concert at World Cafe Live.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... d=18777266

Adam Duritz says up top they will take us through the new record.

From Saturday Nights and Sunday Mornings.....

songlist:

"1492"
"Hanging Tree"
"Insignificant"
"Cowboys"
"When I Dream of Michelangelo"
"You Can't Count on Me"
"Washington Square"
"Come Around
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:21 pm

My wife informed she knew what she wants for her birthday...a new CD.
She asked me to guess which one...a new one...one that's not out yet.
I drew a total blank`.....and had to have her tell me.
When she revealed I felt like such an idiot.....like...DUH! :roll:
Here's a look at what's happening for AD and the guys.

By John Benson
Fri Mar 7, 8:42 PM ET

After flying high for a decade, Counting Crows reached a crossroads in late 2006, when singer Adam Duritz found himself in a downward spiral of rock star excess and overwhelming depression.

Known as the emotive dreadlocked singer whose open-wound emotions fuel his creative ambitions in the studio and improvisational spirit onstage, Duritz was in bad shape. Not only was he unable or unwilling to seriously consider finishing the follow-up to 2002's "Hard Candy," but he questioned whether he wanted the band to continue at all.

"The writing got affected by the fact that I just hated the whole life," Duritz says. "It's just like, 'I'm tired of the record business.' I was tired of radio and the press and the degrading aspects of being famous. The entertainment industry is such a f---ing cesspool. So I just, like, went on walkabout."

At various times in the past year, including the initial sessions for what yielded the new album, "Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings," Duritz slowly emerged from a fog he blamed on various antidepressants that left him with numerous side effects (including insomnia and weight gain).

Also playing a key role in coming to terms with his celebrity was a chance encounter with Mick Fleetwood on a plane bound for Maui. For five hours, Duritz says, he opened his heart to his idol, who is no stranger to rock 'n' roll insanity.

Fast-forward five months, and Duritz and the Crows returned to the studio to finish up "Saturday Nights & Sunday Mornings," due March 25 via Geffen. The semi-concept album is divided between rock-driven songs and more acoustic-based material.

"I didn't really know what I was going to do with the band," Duritz says. "I knew I had a record I wanted to make really badly, that I had at least one last thing to say."

The new single "You Can't Count on Me" -- which, according to Nielsen SoundScan, has sold 34,000 downloads since its early February release -- is No. 6 this week on Radio & Records' Triple A (adult alternative album) chart. The group has earned 11 top-10 hits on that tally since it was established in 1996.

The Crows, who toured fairly consistently during the long break between "Hard Candy" and the new album, are expected to spend the next 18 to 24 months on the road, in North America and Europe.

The group's renewed exuberance crystallized for Duritz last summer after a particularly momentous Des Moines, Iowa, show.

"We started to leave, and I'm like, 'Wait a minute,"' Duritz says. "I jumped off the bus, ran back to the other bus, banged on its door and just jumped on everybody, pushed them on the ground and punched them and said, 'We're awesome.' Then I ran back to the other bus and drove a thousand miles. That's kind of what's going on with our band right now. Good things."

Reuters/Billboard
paddy

paddyinthepub

Re: counting crows

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:50 pm

care wrote:they have a new "live" album out - paddy have you checked it out?

i'm familiar with a bunch of counting crows songs. they have a good sound to them... folky-poppy kinda thing :P

care,

finally got around to the second live album by CC ~ love it!! 8)

the new release is hitting the mark here as well. :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Re: counting crows

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:50 pm

care wrote:they have a new "live" album out - paddy have you checked it out?

care,

finally got around to the second live album by CC ~ love it!! 8)

the new release is hitting the mark here as well. :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri May 23, 2008 8:25 am

Counting Crows on Good Morning America right now!!!

Good Morning, indeed!

Have a great weekend ya'll.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri May 23, 2008 12:16 pm

Counting Crows played 2 songs on GMA tv show this morning. The band rocked!

1)Hanging Tree
2)Hard Candy
paddy

paddyinthepub

Re: Counting Crows - August and Everything After

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 25, 2009 8:58 am

Just read the news that after nearly 2 decades with Geffen Records.....Counting Crows is now indie!!!

Listening to their pop up radio right now and enjoying a live acoustic version of Anna Begins....

Counting Crows Jukebox
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:21 pm

I had friends over Saturday night and after many (too many) blood red orange martinis (YUM), the CDs started making their way out of my office and into my kitchen. August and Everything After was one of them. I used to listen to this over and over and over again when it first came out and haven't really pulled it out in a long time.

I forgot how much I absolutely love the song "Round Here!"

Glad to hear they are going Indie!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 25, 2009 12:28 pm

monicar...............we played AAEA over and over and over, too!!! :wink:

Adam's blog to fans talked about going it alone and how they don't need the label thanks to the internet and ability to make and release the music themselves. They also didnt see eye to eye regarding giving music away. Adam wanted to give it away and the label, in it's new makeup, didn't!
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”