Jack Hardy dies - March 11, 2011

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Jack Hardy dies - March 11, 2011

Postby KarenZ » Sun Mar 13, 2011 9:59 am

Folks,

Many of you are familiar with Jack Hardy, who died on Friday of lung cancer. This is from the WUMB website today. Sorry for the short notice about the on-air tribute. Perhaps they will rebroadcast it.

We are sad to report the passing of songwriter Jack Hardy. He was an important figure in the Greenwich Village folk scene and his songs are sung by singers around the world. Jack was the host and organizer for a long running songwriter's circle in New York City that at times included Shawn Colvin, John Gorka, Lucy Kaplansky, David Massingill and many other well known writers as regulars. Gorka's song "Jack's Crows" was a tongue in cheek tribute to the circle. He was the founder of the Fast Folk Musical Magazine and its series of recordings that are now available from Smithsonian Folkways. Jack's own recordings were made for labels both here and in Europe and there was a 10 disc retrospective of his work from 1965 to 1995. His recent work is on his own Great Divide label. Jack will be missed by his friends and fans worldwide. We will pay tribute to Jack this Sunday, March 13 from 11:30am-Noon, by airing a portion of a Member Concert with him from September 1991.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Jack Hardy dies - March 11, 2011

Postby KarenZ » Mon Mar 14, 2011 8:41 am

Folks,

Here's a link to a New York Times story about Jack Hardy's passing.

Jack Hardy, Folk Singer and Keeper of the Tradition, Dies at 63 by Bruce Weber.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Mar 14, 2011 12:13 pm

Such sad news this weekend. Too many musicians go too young/too soon.

RIP Jack Hardy.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:33 pm

When John Gorka looks back at his beginnings he mentions Godfrey Daniels in Bethlehem, Pa. and Jack Hardy and Fast Folk. Here's a few photos of John Gorka performing at Gilden Hall in Delaware on March 11, 2011. When I viewed these a few days ago, before hearing about Jack Hardy's passing, I thought to myself that these photos are some of the best I've seen of John Gorka in a long, long, time. I would venture to guess this performance was the first John gave with the news that Jack Hardy was gone.

You might have to have a facebook account to view these.

John Gorka at Gilden Hall in Delaware March 11, 2011
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”