Bill Deasy

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:02 pm

Nice article in today's Pittsburgh Tribune-Review about Bill's upcoming CD release shows at the Club Cafe this Saturday night. I'll be volunteering at a big WYEP event that night - literally right next door - and hopefully will be able to get to Bill's late show.

[url=http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/s_525855.html]Deasy hopes 'The Miles' goes the distance on the charts
By Regis Behe
[/url]

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:56 pm

Here's a link to another article about Bill Deasy's new release The Miles by Post Gazette writer Cody McDevitt:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07249/814922-388.stm

I'm really excited about the official release party coming up this Saturday at Club Cafe in Pittsburgh. The good news - early show has sold out. All remaining tickets for the SRO late show are now $12 at the door.

I'm there for both these shows....naturally. :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:27 am

Bill's CD Release party for "The Miles" was big fun, for fans of all walks and ages. Well, those over 21 anyway, as that's Club Cafe's Policy. I could go on and on, but I lost my glasses somewhere and can't see well enough without them to do the shows justice. (yes, i have to look at the keys... :lol: )

If you don't have Bill's new CD yet, you're in luck! The new and improved version has an added bonus track of "Your Home" as well as the re-mixing of 2 tracks that Bill felt needed it.

I travel with CDs (so old school - :lol: ), about 40-50 of them and usually I'll pop 'em in and out about every hour or so on a roadtrip. What might strike some people funny, it did me, was that "The Miles" was the soundtrack for my 5 hour drive home yesterday. It was like heaven on a highway, if that tells ya anything.... :D

As Bill sings in the chorus of the title track:

This road , I'm on
Is my own, to travel
Sometimes paved and sometimes gravel
Up ahead, it waits and winds
Who knows , how it unravels
The Miles

'
here's a link to "emilylaughed's" release show photos:

Bill on Acoustic guitar
Rob James on guitar
Dave Throckmorton on drums
Skip Sanders on Keyboards
Scott Tamulinas on Bass
Laurs Shay on vocals
Sonji on Vocals

http://www.flickr.com/groups/billdeasy/pool/show/

:D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 18, 2007 7:33 pm

This Sunday 9/23/07 -- Los Angeles, Ca.

Bill Deasy will play a house concert in Studio City, Ca. this Sunday at 2pm.

It's the 5th edition of livingroomBill in Sunny LA. If you know anyone out that way, please consider passing it on. Thanks.

Info can be found at Bill's website with this link:

http://www.billdeasy.com/tour_dates.htm

or....you can send an email to the host directly:

livingroombill@yahoo.com
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Sep 20, 2007 12:22 pm

More about Bill Deasy in today's Pittsburgh Tribune-Review:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/living/music/s_528345.html

8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:21 pm

Heard Bill's house concert in LA went over well, including 2 bnew songs written just this week and a cover of Springsteen's Shut Out The Light from the Tracks cd, in honor of The Boss' birthday (58, yesterday.)

Bill returns to the Boston area in October with back to back shows. First up, he's at the Lizard Lounge in Cambridge on Friday, October 19th at 8pm.

The following night, Saturday, October 20th, Bill Deasy opens for Tracy Grammer at Stone Soup in Pawtucket, Rhode Island, which I hope to see one day very soon..... :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Oct 09, 2007 4:59 pm

Here's a nice review of "Ransom Seaborn" -- Bill Deasy's first novel. His fans are aware that his second novel is nearly complete. I can't wait!!!

http://lostatsea.net/feature.phtml?fid=20750761304700f8cc9b034
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:46 pm

Here at last.....Bill Deasy at Stone Soup...opening for Tracy Grammer.

The show is tonight...and you know the ALCS will go seven games. :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:47 am

Patti,

How was Bill D's show at Stone Soup? I'll bet he blew some folks away....

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:40 pm

He certainly did!! People in the crowd were really into it.. I would say it surprised most (not me) that he was as good as he was. He started off by saying he was nervous??? Oh no I thought, not tonight... but he was , as Jela would say "spot on".... He told a funny story about winning his 8th grade election by one vote, but went on to marry the first runner up!!

He also had us imagining we were at a U2 concert in Dublin, while he was Bono, to get us to sing along at the end!! The crowd was small but they did a great job participating....

The Red Sox, in town, playing a pivotal game alwasy takes from our audience but the people who did come out thoroughly enjoyed it. It was the first time Tracy Grammer was at SS... she is SO talented and good.

Also, I think more than a few people came up to him to tell him they were originally from Pittsburgh!! Who knew...

His new CD The Miles which I know got some play on a RI station is "stupendous" as the Emcee said..

I can only hope there will be a next time, and if the Red Sox aren't playing there will be plenty more people to impress..
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Oct 22, 2007 12:47 pm

Patti,

He's *always* spot on! :)

Thanks for the report. I hope you guys will have him back.

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Oct 22, 2007 1:14 pm

...and I've read he's *always* nervous just before singing for folks....

I think it drives the performance.....and *spot on* captures Bill perfectly.

Thanks for the report Patti, I'm glad you got to see him at last. I like the emcee's choice of words describing Bill's new record, The Miles.

*Stupendous* works.... :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Feb 23, 2008 11:02 pm

Bill will return to Jammin Java in March, opening for Emerson Hart, the former lead singer for tonic. The following night he plays a free show in the Philly area (Aston) at a startup venue called Dim The Lights Coffeehouse. Finally, his annual Spring Lies Waiting concert at Club Cafe in Pittsburgh. Bill performs all the songs on SLW (and more) and this year one hour of the concert will be aired live on the radio. WYEP 91.3 fm.

As Bill stated on his forum....."it should be fun!!!"

3-13-08 TBA Jammin' Java
227 Maple Ave. E. Vienna, VA Opening for Emerson Hart

3-14-08 8:00 PM Dim the Lights Coffee House
5151 Chichester Avenue Aston, PA Free With Laura Shay.

3-21-08 8:00 PM Club Cafe
56-58 South 12th Street
(412) 431-4950 Pittsburgh, PA $13.00 advance /$15.00 day of show PB 2008 "Spring Lies Waiting" show! Bill Deasy and friends perform the entire SLW CD and other favorites, new and old. New Music March Series Live Broadcast on 91.3 FM WYEP. Tickets on sale through TicketWeb. 21+
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:41 am

I plan to be at Bill's Spring Lies Waiting show. Thay are not to be missed.

How much longer before his path crosses with Ellis Paul??!! Now THAT would be my dream show! :D

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:14 pm

Gee, I dunno....Alaska? :lol:

Karen....lucky you. Green w/envy, here..... I'll be listening to the broadcast via the internet. Too bad for me they won't be airing the SLW show in it's entirety.

Here's a little myspacetv video from Joe Grueshecky's show last night at the Hard Rock Cafe in Pittsburgh. It features guest artist Bill Deasy. :D

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... d=29002208
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:39 pm

Awesome video. I still get goosebumps listenign to "lost in America". :shock:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Feb 28, 2008 11:53 am

Here's a link to the website of KDKA TV in Pittsburgh, where you can view videos of special stories, interviews, and in this case, live performance.

Here you'll find Bill Deasy performing "Some Catastrophe" in KDKA's studio. A nice on-air interview follows with Bill discussing the first song he ever wrote "She's a Big Jerk" as well as his new record "The Miles." It was originally on-air back in December '07 and has Bill dropping hints of a new side project that should "take flight" early this spring......... more to come. 8)

Click on the video image (right side of web page). There's a few to choose from (other local artists). Bill's the one seated with Gibson Guitar in hand.

http://kdka.com/yourhome

Look in the smaller thumbnails above the photo of Bill with the kids.... :wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Mar 16, 2008 2:32 am

Bill and Laura Shay performed in Aston Pa. last night just outside Philly and sounded great as they sang together on most songs past the opener. Bill opened with a new song from TJA that was being played out for only the second time, having debuted it the night before in Vienna Va. at Jammin Java. I caught up with another of Bill's fans at tonight's show and he alluded to the JJ show saying Bill was in fine form and had the audience laughing between songs. Talking with Bill after the show tonight he confirmed that the show in Va. had gone really well. There's been mention of a few acoustic sparklers on the new record coming out this spring and we got to hear a few of them last night. As I told him after the show, I'm lovin the new songs.

Bill told the Willem Dafoe story, I still find it all too funny and so did this new crowd. It felt a little strange that Levi did not follow the story, but that was okay...the story suits just fine sometimes. Bill added an interesting story about being in touch with someone by email in the Willem Dafoe circle which was pretty cool. Later, with Bill telling the audience about how the idea for his novel Ransom Seaborn came about, having seen the name on a headstone in a cemetary in Homestead and he thought the name was cool, how it sounded mysterious and evocative....a voice in the crowd shouted out to Bill "sounds like a Willem Dafoe movie!!!" which pleased the author to no end with a pointed "thanks, man, you don't know how much that means to hear you say that" to the guy who said it.

"walked into a church and lit a candle"

It was a fine night in a candle lit church with a soft white neon lit cross on the wall behind the altar. Laura on the grand piano and bg vocals and Bill looking and sounding as good as ever, you just couldn't ask for more. Oh, wait til ya hear the story Bill's tellin about a recent roadtrip. It'll warm your rock n roll hearts. He told me he was gettin into the new Jackson Browne release on this roadtrip. Is it any wonder? Great seein ya Bill, til next time.

we heard:

* songs from Bill's new side project ~ Thomas Jefferson's Aeroplane

Tonight *
Beautiful Stranger
Getting Closer
You're Not Alone *
Wishing Well
Sweet Thing - Van Morrison
Until I Get It Right
Wish There Was a Way -- audible for Laura's parents
The Miles
Over There * -- a definite acoustic sparkler
Harder Than It Needs To Be *
Blue Sky Gray - request
Hallelujah - Leonard Cohen

Shout out to the folks at Dim The Lights Coffeehouse concert series in Aston, Pa. Great venue for live music and the fine coffee and folks made for a really nice evening out. Keep up the good work and all the best getting the series up and running strong.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:53 pm

The first hour of the Spring Lies Waiting show will simulcast on WYEP 91.3 fm.

Friday Night 3/21/08 -- 8pm edt

www.wyep.org/listen

8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:29 am

Folks,

Please, please, please tune in when you can so that you'll understand why, next to EP, Bill Deasy is my favorite.

I'll be there although the weather forecast is for snow showers - how appropriate (NOT!) for the Spring Lies Waiting show! :(

I remember a few years ago when I bought my current car....it was November and for the first time I bought 4 snow tires and had them put on. That winter we didn't get any measureable snow at all. Ellis was scheduled to play the Club Cafe on the 1st day of Spring.....and it snowed that day! Going home after the show I was thankful for the snow tires and was glad my investment was finally paying off. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:27 am

This is where it all started for me.

Spring Lies Waiting

Fans consider it one of his best and recommend it often when folks are at shows trying to figure out which CD to pick up at merch.

here's a sample......

http://cdbaby.com/cd/deasy
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:33 pm

tonight

Bill Deasy's Spring Lies Waiting show ~ 8pm edt

www.wyep.org/listen

:wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:04 am

From the sound of things this show was a blast from the past and a look to the future. Bill took advantage of being on the radio as he plugged away at upcoming shows and the new release. He played several old Gathering Field songs and hinted at a possible 2nd Gathering Field reunion show in the area. With guitarist extraordinaire and SLW producer Dave Brown at his side for this show fans have grown to love the part of the show when the old favorites come back to life again before their very eyes. In all, Bill played all but two of the songs from his classic Spring Lies Waiting. I've heard he even pulled a fan from the audience to help with bg vocals on one song. Lucky girl!!!

Bill opened with 3 songs from his upcoming Thomas Jefferson's Aeroplane side project record called The Invisble Ocean. His friend and former Brownie Mary guitarist and singer Rich Jacques of LA cowrote the songs and produced the record. Bill said the album opener "Sunshine" which he opened the SLW show with received a "trippy" production from Rich and came out really cool.

One of the new songs, Just About You, up on Bill's myspace now, has 'em dancin over in Europe, already!!! :D

The vocals on the track are Rich's, not Bill's....though he makes a cameo on the recording at the start...saying "I don't know the words" before Rich Jaques leaves him in studio dust to start the song. :lol:

Here's a look at how the song "Just About You" is taking off over in Europe. :D

http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fusea ... d=29755861
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:35 am, edited 8 times in total.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:19 am

It was an awesome show (as usual) Friday night. All the Deasy-heads were in their glory with Dave Brown (Gathering Field guitarist) there. Kyle Smith from WYEP did some interview portions during the first hour which was broadcast live. I think bill was relieved when the radio portion ended. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Mar 24, 2008 12:06 pm

Karen, you lucky girl!!!

Somethin told me Bill might have been relieved when the simulcast ended. :wink:

Here's the setlist:

TJA songs: *
SLW songs: **
BD songs: ***
GF songs: ****

Sunshine *
It’s OK *
Over There *
Getting Closer ***
So It Goes **
The Low Road **
Long Way Home ****
Looking For Mercy **
Still Not One Of Them **
Long Lost Friend ****

Radio simulcast ended here.

Private Moon **
Alcatraz ****
Pale New England Sky **
Something Right ** – girl in audience joined Bill for bg vox
My Serenity ****
Right Where You Want Me ****
Divine Intervention (Matthew Sweet cover)
Sweet Thing (Van Morrison cover)
Even Though **
Rough Road ****
Lost In America ****
Midnight Ghost ****
The Gift Of Seeing Through ***
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Apr 22, 2008 5:43 pm

Bill Deasy's new side project CD was released today. 8)

Thomas Jefferson's Aeroplane ~ The Invisible Ocean

it'll be available at shows---cdbaby---itunes---a few record stores

Here's a link to the project....

http://www.billdeasy.com/tjabio.htm

Here's a link to the TJA myspace....

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =335726222
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Apr 23, 2008 11:33 pm

TJA has been cleared for takeoff and is headed my way...... :D

Hear samples here on cdbaby...... 8)

http://cdbaby.com/cd/tjaeroplane
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:47 am

paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 01, 2008 8:46 am

The new release by TJA has reached near ocd spin status..... :D
Here's a review from Pittsburgh City Paper.

Vets Bill Deasy and Rich Jacques team up on Thomas Jefferson's Aeroplane

By Aaron Jentzen

Thomas Jefferson's Aeroplane
The Invisible Ocean
(self-released)

Two Pittsburgh music-scene vets have teamed up on a collaborative album: Bill Deasy (yeah, he of Gathering Field fame) and Rich Jacques of Brownie Mary, now based in Los Angeles. That much is simple. But by what twist this project became known as Thomas Jefferson's Aeroplane is a bit harder to fathom. Did Deasy and Jacques bond over Jeffersonian ideals ... or the Jefferson Airplane catalog? Intriguing.

Fans of 1990s Pittsburgh -- and '90s pop-rock in general -- will find much to wax nostalgic over in the duo's new CD, The Invisible Ocean. The travelin'-man song "Know That I Would" seems a nod to The Verve's more accessible moments on Urban Hymns, and also to hometown roots, with the line "How's Pittsburgh / I'm sure that it's raining." "Harder Than It Needs To Be" is somewhat reminiscent of U2's latter-day earnest-pop-rock-plus-electronic-beats endeavors, or perhaps something from Daniel Lanois' For the Beauty of Winona.

Backing Deasy's and Jacques' smooth vocals are various combinations of acoustic guitars, keyboard beds, poppy electric guitars, programmed beats and female backing vocals from the "Flight Crew."

The disc has its playful moments -- "Just About You" is one of those silly love songs Paul told you about -- but the mood of much of the material is earnest and emotive. Take "You're Not Alone," a slow crooner destined to tear-stain cheeks and make subdivision babies with lines like "When you're broken down and your heart is full of pain / I won't let you down, I'll come pick you up again / You're not alone so don't pretend to be / You're not a stone, sinking in the sea."

But whatever -- it's pop. If people like it, perhaps it's done its job. Consider the ball in your court, Pittsburgh.

Thomas Jefferson's Aeroplane CD-release shows. 7:30 and 10:30 p.m. Fri., May 9. Club Café, 56-58 S. 12th St., South Side. $15. 21 and over. 412-431-4950 or www.clubcafelive.com
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat May 03, 2008 12:02 pm

Got my ticket for the early show! :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat May 03, 2008 2:50 pm

Tower to TJA: you are clear for takeoff!!! Have a Great Flight, everyone. 8)
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue May 06, 2008 1:52 pm

Got my copy of the new CD in the mail, but have to wait till SUnday morning to listen when I get it as part of my Mother's Day celebration. I'm looking forward to it :)
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue May 06, 2008 2:46 pm

Patti.....looked up willpower.....saw your picture. :wink:

Kiddin aside, your kids ROCK at pickin out gifts!! 8)

Enjoy your day and be sure to act "surprised" :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed May 07, 2008 12:52 pm

Big doings this week for Thomas Jefferson's Aeroplane.

Live debut at The Hotel Cafe in Los Angeles....tonight!!! 8)

Followed by 2 shows in Pittsburgh at Club Cafe...this Friday night!!! 8)

TJA this Friday morning at 9am "LIVE" on WDVE 91.5fm in Pittsburgh. :D

http://www.dve.com/cc-common/ondemand/p ... l?world=st
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 08, 2008 10:04 am

Here's links to two articles on Thomas Jefferson's Aeroplane. :D

Scott Mervis of The Pittsburgh Post Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08129/879829-42.stm

Regis Behe of The Pittsburgh Tribune Review

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 66269.html
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 08, 2008 10:19 am

Thanks, Paddy. Definitely have whetted my appetite in anticipation of tomorrow night's show here in the 'burgh. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 08, 2008 10:45 am

GREEN WITH ENVY!!!

Livin la vida loco this weekend and can't make the shows...... :cry:

Enjoy!!! :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri May 09, 2008 7:51 am

Thank God It's Friday...... :D
TJA on WDVE around 9am this morning....... 8)
now boarding......now boarding :D

http://www.dve.com/cc-common/ondemand/p ... l?world=st
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri May 09, 2008 9:43 am

TJA played All I Want live on air and will play one more in a few minutes... :D

Til then......

http://www.observer-reporter.com/OR/Sto ... -aeroplane
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri May 09, 2008 9:55 am

got logged in, but work got in the way. :(

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri May 09, 2008 10:03 am

Karen...maybe it'll land on youtube, eventually. :D
Here's a photo of Bill Deasy set to perform this mornin at WDVE in Pittsburgh.

http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n31/ ... /PIX01.jpg

TJA ended with It's Okay live on air and Bill's vocals rocked on this one. 8)

The funniest thing was hearing the morning dj comparing Bill to Marty Feldman referencing one of the photos found on the CD insert. Bill said that was the look he was going for...... :lol:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat May 10, 2008 8:38 am

OMG! What an incredible show last night! Opener Rob Giles had me weeping by his last song. I have not been that moved in a LONG time....probably not since my first EP show. Seriously. Check him out on MySpace - listen to the song "You're not listening" or "Sarah's Song". OMG. :shock: The song that had me weeping ("Tambourine") isn't there for listening. :cry:

http://www.myspace.com/robgilesmusic

The band was over-the-top. All I had was my camera phone, so these are not pretty....but you'll see that we were treated to some wicked keyboard playing by our very own Bill D. :wink: My dream show continues to be Ellis and Bill on a co-bill. Talk about emotional depletion....

Bill Deasy & Rich Jacques (aka Thomas Jefferson's Aeroplane)

KarenZ

monicar

Postby monicar » Sat May 10, 2008 9:37 am

Ooooh, I really like "You're Not Listening!"

Thanks for the tip, Karen!

Monica R.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat May 10, 2008 2:57 pm

A Bill Deasy fan took these photos at last night's Thomas Jefferson's Aeroplane release show at Club Cafe in Pittsburgh.

AMAZING to see Bill Deasy behind keyboards....... 8)

Who knew? :shock:

Sounds like a great show.....thanks for the early morning scoop, Karen. :wink:

Her website is artistic moments by Beth.
http://artisticmomentsbybeth.smugmug.co ... #292821745
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon May 12, 2008 9:58 am

Nice writeup by Julie Toye on Thomas Jefferson's Aeroplane. :D

http://www.julietoye.com/deasy.html
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon May 12, 2008 11:27 am

Thanks Paddy! Nice write-up. GREAT show. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue May 13, 2008 12:20 pm

I was surprised the first time I saw Ellis Paul play keys at a show.
I was SHOCKED to learn that Bill Deasy played keys at the TJA shows. :shock:
I've read that Lost In America got a cool reworking, too. 8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue May 13, 2008 4:32 pm

Thomas Jefferson's Aeroplane live on WDVE in Pittsburgh:

All I Want

http://www.dve.com/pages/coffeehouse.ht ... le=3676843

Bill Deasy..........acoustic guitar and lead vocal
Rich Jacques......electric guitar and bg vocal
Rob Giles...........bass and bg vocal
Quinn................drums
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon May 19, 2008 2:07 pm

Thought I'd paste Paddy's comments about the May 17, 2008 show in Phoenixville, PA here so I can comment. ;)

paddyinthepub wrote:Let it be known...... :D

That at the end of Laura Shay's opening set last night at Steel City Coffee House in Phoenixville, Pa. she called headliner and friend Bill Deasy up onstage to sing with her. There was magic in the air as she introduced Bill and the first song they would sing together. She said it was a new one that will appear on her next record and Bill graciously added vocals to the track. With Bill and Laura on acoustic guitars and a Grateful Dead song vibe to the tune, it was wonderful.

Then it happened! :shock:

For the second song, with Bill looking more than a little concerned, listened as Laura told the crowd that it took some serious arm twisting to get Bill to try this next one. Bill, focused and as poker faced as I've ever seen him then started playing the opening chords to a song the crowd seemed to know all too well.

Thunderous applause broke out as we realized what was happening. Just exactly what Laura had convinced Bill was a song he had to hear many moons ago and one they had to sing together someday.

She was right! We were treated to a stirring version of Falling Slowly. Unbelieveable! The sort of thing a music fan like me lives for. :) I'll report more about the show later in another thread, but wanted to mention this here in it's rightful place.

Nearly an hour and a half later, as Bill ended his amazing set with Laura Shay accompanying the whole way on piano and vocals, Bill spoke of his appreciation for the venue. How he felt really safe playing there. And then, to punctuate the thought Bill broke spontaneously and head long into the chorus of this great song.......the audience filled with something between laughter and joy at the bravery and beauty of it all.

Take this sinking boat and point it home
We've still got time
Raise your hopeful voice you have a choice
You've made it now

Ahh.....make art......make art. 8)

After the show, Laura talked a little about how she brought Bill into the realm of this great movie and song. She said it was a movie he needed to see and that it would change his life. How they'd stay in touch via email about it. Bill's obvious excitement seeing the song win the Oscar. :D She relayed Bill's apprehension at singing the song because of the falsetto part.

He made the right choice! I'm guessing this wonderful song will get covered alot and by many. None quite like last night's out on the outskirts of Philadelphia. 8)

Paddy, now I wish I had done the road trip! All I can say is....WOW. Sounds like yet another really, really special Bill Deasy experience. The man is Supreme Maker of Goosebump Moments. :shock:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue May 20, 2008 10:59 am

Karen

Wish there was a way...... :wink:
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”