Bill Deasy

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Bill Deasy

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Aug 19, 2006 12:11 am

Once upon a time.....The Gathering Field...out of Pittsburgh, Pa. came very close to breaking nationally. They should have, they were certainly good enough. The four Albums they released prove it to me every time I play one of them. Alas, that was then. It just didn't happen. Whatcha gon do?

If it were up to me, you'd start where The Gathering Field left off. Where You might ask, is that? Simple. The band's lead vocalist and songwriter.
Who's that you might ask? Only one of the best singer songwriters out there today. His name is Bill Deasy. He's been busy since giving up on the dream of The Gathering Field some years ago. He wrote and performed the opening jingle for ABC's Good Morning America on TV. He has released 3 Full Length studio Albums....A Concert DVD....an EP....and only recently added the title of Published Author to his long list of credentials. His novel, written years ago, was just released. Early reports are that it's every bit as good as his songs. And his songs are great.

We are going to see Bill Deasy fro the umpteenth time tomorrow night when he plays the Media Theatre in Media Pa. with Liz Longley and one other opener named Elana Arian. I see from the tour dates page that Bill has shows coming up in and around Washington DC and Philly. Also a few opening gigs for the likes of World Party, Brindley Bros., Maia Sharp.

Check out Bill Deasy when you get a chance. Go back a bit and find his work with The Gathering Field. It's timeless...it's talented....it's time. :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Aug 19, 2006 6:33 am

Amen, Brother.

As I've stated many times....Bill Deasy is my #2 right behind you-know-who. :wink: I can't say enough about him. He'll be in Charlottesville, VA opening for World Party on Aug. 30 and I'm trying to persuade EP to go. Bill is also at the Jammin' Java on Sept. 16, opening for the Brindley Brothers, but EP has his own gig that night. But I'm hoping to be there.

And Bill's latest news is that he just (Aug 10) published a novel called Ransom Seaborn. I hope this Amazon link works:

Ransom Seaborn

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sat Aug 19, 2006 8:33 pm

KarenZ wrote:Bill Deasy is my #2 right behind you-know-who. :wink:

Who? Who? WHO???? I don't know.

:P
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:15 am

Silly girl. The guy responsible for your armadillo avatar. ;)

KarenZ

bonuela wrote:Who? Who? WHO???? I don't know.
:P
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Aug 20, 2006 11:21 pm

There running a commercial on TV where Pennsylvania's Governor Ed Rendell is suggesting Pittsburgh for a destination vacation. He showcases many of the attributes of the area, such as The Warhol Museum, Falling Water by Frank Lloyd Wright, Club Cafe on the city's South Side.

This could almost fit over in the coincidence thread as I was just beginning this post on Pittsburgh's own Bill Deasy when The Gov came on the tube to promote the city. I lived there for 2+ years and couldn't agree more. It's a very cool town. In fact, we've got one week left before school starts up again, and it's looking like Pittsburgh, Pa will wrap up the summer getaways for us. We're holding tix for Kennywood Amusement Park as well as Sandcastle Waterpark and just can't wait to use them.

I guess the Bill Deasy Live By Request Show at Club Cafe is just an added bonus. Or is it the other way around? Anyway, can't think of a better way to wind up the Summer of '06 than a trip down the turnpike to experience the sights and sounds of this truly one of a kind city.

We saw Bill Deasy play solo acoustic last night in Media, Pa. at the Summer Singer Songwriter Series. The concert was held in the beautiful and historic Media Theatre, albeit upstairs in a smaller setting than inside the 600 seat house that is soon to host Elton John's Aida. The series was the final of seven such concerts. They tend to draw 60-100 folks for each show and I could not help but think this would be a great venue for Ellis Paul to find new audiences and fans. Each concert is a triple bill setup with each artist getting a solid hour plus encore. Nice sound system, acoustics, and even some fairly impressive lighting that would fade at song's end.

Bill was the middle act and as always, entertained with his witty between song banter as well as his overall amazing voice, songs and stage presence. He won over quite a few new fans last nite.

Someday I hope to count most of yous guys :wink: among the newly converted. I realise it's hard to convince wih a few kind words found here. Really tho, keep an eye on when he's nearby and try to catch a show. Without a doubt, Bill's best shows are usually on his home turf over at Club Cafe. They have a website that's likely on the links page here. If ya know anyone within a stones' throw of the Burgh, tell 'em to take it from Paddy, KarenZ, and The Governor: Pittsburgh is Cool. 8)

The setlist:

Naked
Just Believe
Dancing In The Dark - The Boss
Bound To Be
I Will
Until I Get It Right
Blue Sky Grey
Lost In America

Bill joined young and talented Liz Longley for a new song they'd just written together this summer. Bill only did the guitar part and Liz had the vocal.

Take You Down

Hit potential for sure. :wink:

Liz is a possibly a star in the making. A recent High School Graduate, she has an amazing voice and nice songs at Piano and guitar. The amazing Sarah Zimmerman is to Liz Longley what DonCon is to Ellis. They had a well received and beautiful set of songs that was spotted with Liz' originals - hey, she's got the number 1 song out on garageband.com - and covers. Most notably her 2 encores, both covers. While she was likely not "raised on robbery", she stole my musical heart nonetheless with her cover of Joni Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi. Then, to close out the show, the most amazing cover of Eva Cassidy's arrangement of the timeless "Somewhere Over The Rainbow" with Liz on vocal and the aforementioned Sarah Zimmerman on acoustic guitar. While Liz shines on Piano and Vocals, I found myself in awe of Sarah Zimmerman.

Keep an eye and ear out for both. Liz will study music at Berklee College of Music In Boston. Guess she'll play a few coffehouses now and then. :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Aug 21, 2006 6:00 am

Paddy, you lucky DAWG....getting to see Bill D. so close to home. :) Bill's Live by Request shows are killers. Having gone to the first two, I'm really sad to be missing the 3rd one this Thursday night, but I just can't do the upcoming road trip to eastern PA (leaving in an hour), get back home late Wednesday night, go to work Thursday and do a concert Thursday night. :( Even I have my limits. :wink: But Bill returns to the Club Cafe Sept. 30, and I'll be there. I didn't get lucky and have my name pulled out of the guitar case at the 1st Live By Request show, but I did get lucky for the 2nd one...and got to hear live (finally!) his song "Suzanne" ...a song so heartwrenching that grown men have cried.

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Aug 21, 2006 9:12 am

KarenZ, Well I am and I'm not surprised....that's some hard travellin...dawg gone Pa. Tpk plumb wear anyone out. Takes it's toll on everyone I know that drives it. NO PUN intended. :oops:

Bill's live by request shows are something of legend so I hope to see for myself. It's' funny to me reading you're request at the late show. Know what? Just contemplating which of Bill's songs I'd request (late last night).
Odds on favorite would be his song: "Suzanne".

Great minds and all that. That song just snuck up on me one day recently listening to an old Gathering Field Record. It was early in the year, Spring I think, and I was just like whoa.......wha?....play that one again.

I've attached a bit of my own thoughts on what happens to the guy at song's end....but I'm still not quite sure. Great song though. I even attached some strange link to the girl Suzanne in the song Fire and Rain by James Taylor. It's like an homage to her pain and suffering and James' loss. It's almost like Bill is singing, hey, wait a minute there girl, you won't get away this easy....anyway......I hope to hear it Live too.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:21 am

Hey Karen, I didn't get to hear Suzanne. WHY? My name was not picked out of the case and noone requested it. I'll post on it another time. Heads up on the Sept.30 show at Club Cafe. Due to a private show earlier, Bill and the Band will only do a LATE SHOW and the audience will STAND UP for the show, save the few booth seats at the back and sides....and..Bill teased the band will be tweaked a bit...hmmmn....Rob James???...Dave Brown??? I dunno but I'm thinkin roadtrip myself. For the most part, the Live By Request Show on Saturday was all Gathering Field songs. Noone wanted to hear stuff Bill plays all the time anyway. I'll post a setlist later.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Bill Deasy current concert schedule

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:07 pm

Here are tour dates for Bill Deasy's upcoming shows. If you're able to and close to one of these towns........mark your calendars. :wink:

From Bill's myspace are the following shows:

Aug 30 2006 8:00P
Starr Hill Music Hall Charlottesville, VA
Aug 31 2006 7:00P
Rams Head Tavern Annapolis, MD
Sep 8 2006 7:30P
Borders Books - "Ransom Seaborn" Book Signing & Reading Pittsburgh
Sep 10 2006 7:30P
World Cafe Live Philadelphia, PA
Sep 16 2006 8:00P
Jammin' Java Vienna, VA
Sep 17 2006 7:30P
The Coffee House Moon Township, PA
Sep 20 2006 9:00P
Thursdays - Bill Deasy & Rob James Bridgewater, PA
Sep 30 2006 10:00P
Club Cafe Pittsburgh, PA
Oct 7 2006 8:30P
Steel City Coffeehouse Phoenixville, PA
Oct 15 2006 1:00P
Barnes & Noble - "Ransom Seaborn" Book Signing & Reading Greensburg
Oct 20 2006 9:30P
The University Club Moon Township, PA
Oct 25 2006 9:00P
Thursdays - Bill Deasy & Rob James Bridgewater, PA
Oct 27 2006 7:30P
TBA Phoenix, AZ
Nov 16 2006 8:00P
The Goldhawk Hoboken, NJ
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 29, 2006 6:32 am

If Bill is playing in the Philly area I'm usually there. If your'e on the fence about going to one of these shows, maybe it's because you can't find anyone to go with ya and ya don't like flying solo......feel free to say so either out here on this thread or drop me a line via PM.

We can meet up before, during, or afterwards for drinks or dinner or discuussion of the music at hand.

Over at Bill's site they are addressing the issue with the BUDDY UP thread, a way to let folks know that they need not feel as tho they are attending a show "alone", as there are plenty of friendly fans ready to make you feel welcome. While you may drive alone to the show, from the time you arrive you are among friends and part of a group.

Makes me think they might have been "looking" around at other artist's websites - wink, wink - to see how others are doing it.

Imagine that, Us, Trendsetters. 8)

:wink:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:37 am

KarenZ wrote:Paddy, you lucky DAWG....getting to see Bill D. so close to home. :) Bill's Live by Request shows are killers. Having gone to the first two, I'm really sad to be missing the 3rd one this Thursday night, but I just can't do the upcoming road trip to eastern PA (leaving in an hour), get back home late Wednesday night, go to work Thursday and do a concert Thursday night. :( Even I have my limits. :wink: But Bill returns to the Club Cafe Sept. 30, and I'll be there. I didn't get lucky and have my name pulled out of the guitar case at the 1st Live By Request show, but I did get lucky for the 2nd one...and got to hear live (finally!) his song "Suzanne" ...a song so heartwrenching that grown men have cried.

KarenZ

I don't mean to quote ya KarenZ but I will if I have too.... :P There are a few seats to be had at CC for the Sept.30 show. :wink: I hope to see ya there some way somehow. Here's a trip down memory lane to whet yer whistle.

Bill did 2 LBR shows at CC last Thursday night. Just amazing.
1st show 21 songs...2nd show 17 songs.....2nd show looser, more intense.

setlist for early show:

Are you an Angel
My Serenity
We Can
Still Not One Of Them
What Love's About
Driving Into Rain
One Way Or The Other

Bill read opening paragraph of Ransom Seaborn

That Night
Learning To Fall
Proving Ground
Sweet Thing - Bill owns this Van Morrison cover.
Take Your Time
Alcatraz
Lost It In The Sun
Soul Is Human
I Want To Know
Right Where You Want Me
Dylan Thomas Days
Dirt Of Chimayo
Complicated Me
Rough Road

setlist for late show:

I Will Go - The mission statement at the Deasy Household
In My Head
Midnight Ghost
Naked
The Light I See
People Change
Another Man
Better Than Never At All
I'll Rescue You - - - with the U2 ending
Distant Thunder
Everything's Alright
Blue Sky Song
The Man With New Mexico Plates
Just Believe
My Serenity - only repeat of the night
When I Put The Records On
Falling Into Grace
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:44 am

Paddy, yes I had been planning to go to the Sept. 30 show...but that was before I knew it would start at 10pm (on a Sunday night) and that it was a standing-only show. I absolutely won't be going. Sorry. I have lots of opportunities to see Bill so I'm gonna have to pass on that one.

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:52 am

yikes....Sunday Night...I did not know that!!! Some reason I figured it was more likely a Friday or Saturday night show...Sunday Night 10pm.

Talk about testing a fan's endurance. whoa baby....we'll see.

For some reason...Bill's Tour dates never list the Day of Week.

I understand. :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:58 am

Paddy, I was wrong. It *is* a Saturday night. But I still won't be going.

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:06 am

Alrighty then....This Irish Rover is back on track for going to the show.

Phew, had me worried for a minute there. Thanks for the update.

Can't tell if I'm sleep deprived or calendar challenged.

Thanks Karen.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:18 pm

Bill opened for Maia Sharp at World Cafe Live in Philly last night. It was a rather talkative crowd at times and it took much patience on my part not to holler QUIET PLEASE at times. For all this radio station wxpn 88.5 fm has going for it...you'd think they could convey the decorum message to it's patrons. The cover was $20 at the door and folks just yapping away like they were at a ballgame or something. I felt for Bill as he began to read an excerpt from his newly pub'd novel and had to stop mid sentence as a guy 10 feet away starts YAPPING on his cell phone. The other bothersome thing about WCL for me is the soundmix. It seems to fly in the face of concert venue logic. The "board" is stage right and generally unmanned....and the sound at times sounded monotone as tho thru a lone speaker above the stage. Someday I'll mention this to the powers that be at WCL in hopes they'll take notice. In the meantime, I'm gonna suggest that Bill Deasy explore other philly venues like Tin Angel.

Maia Sharp was amazing and sounded incredible on guitar, keys, and horn along with her bass player and bgvocalist Darren Embry.

Club hopped downstairs to see World Party play the last 30 min of their concert and were these guys ever smokin hot in concert. Loved it, especially their final encore and uberhit....Ship Of Fools.

Here's Bill's setlist:

Blue Sky Grey
Levi
I Will
Pass Me On
Lost In America
Dancing in The Dark...broooooooooooooooce.
Wishing Well
Until I Get It Right
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Tue Sep 12, 2006 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:29 pm

Paddy,

Bill D did his first book reading/acoustic performance this past Friday night at the Borders Book Store in Pittsburgh's North Hills. I'm happy to report is was a totally different experience than yours. The crowd was very attentive and when Bill asked if anyone had questions about the novel, there were several good ones which pleased him to no end. He read a few passages, did a few songs, read a few more passages (providing background when necessary) and did a few more songs. Autographed books and CDs afterwards. It was only an hour-long performance, but wonderful nonetheless. Bought the book, but haven't started it yet since I had to finish re-reading Into the Wild (which I did over the weekend). I'm not one of those persons who can be reading multiple books at one time. (I'm a concrete sequential.) ;) I think Bill D's book in next in line. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 12, 2006 7:10 am

If I may quote Ellis here in regards to Bill D and the differing crowds at his shows, both at home and away.

"embrace what you have in common"

captures the essence of Bill's audience in Pittsburgh. They know where he's been and they know where he'll take them. Given half a chance.

"celebrate what keeps you apart"

Is it the Pennsylvania Turnpike? Well, yes!

In a state like Texas, an act like Gathering Field would have made waves in Austin, Dallas, San Antone, and Houston. They'd have filled venues in all 4 cities, not just one....for some strange reason, there seems to be a disconnect between Philly and the Burgh. Why this town never embraced the music of GF and/or Bill D is beyond me. As Bill likes to mention during songs ( the talk over guitar tween verses audience connnect times ) the Turnpike from Pittsburgh to Philly is one of the worst drives in the country.

I know 3 people in my family who could not agree more.

For that reason alone audiences around here should welcome Bill Deasy to town with the simple respect an artist of his caliber deserves.

So it goes........ :?
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:33 pm

SueEllen.......Bill's playin at Jammin Java tomorrow nite Sept.16..8pm.

Still goin???

Let us know......

TIA.
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sat Sep 16, 2006 1:06 pm

A-yea, I'll be there. Should be a good show, with the Brindly Brothers.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:25 am

SueEllen.....happy to hear you were going to the show tonight. I've read a couple posts on Bill's set tonight as the opener and heard it was good. Hope you enjoyed your intro to Bill Deasy and his music.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:42 am

For any of you in the New York area, noticed this gig was added to Bill's tour schedule, and it's free!!!

October 5, 2006
Rockwood Music Hall - New York, NY
196 Allen Street (between Houston and Stanton)
(212) 477-4155
Time: 8:00 PM
Admission: Free -(Donations suggested and encouraged!)
SA
21+

I realize it's a Thursday night.....but well worth the time. :D
paddy

shari

Postby shari » Thu Sep 28, 2006 6:45 am

Paddy,

I know where that is! I will try to make it...

Thanks!

:-)

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Sep 28, 2006 9:09 am

Shari, you betcha.....my pleasure. You can preview Bill's sound on both his website and myspace if need be. Take it from me, he always puts on a good show and I'd go as far as to say he's swoonworthy as well.

I could never grow my hair that long or that blond. Otherwise, I'd give him a run for his money....... :P

I hope this show works out for you...and hard to believe it's easier for me to see Bill Deasy in NYC than in my old stompin grounds in Pittsburgh.

Bill's Club Cafe gig this Saturday Nite has sold out. He's ready to let loose with the Full Band at 10 pm. I'm sorry to say I waited too long to grab tix.s

A note to Karen on the 7pm private show, same nite:

Bill's site now states the nature of the private show and the offering of tickets at $12 EACH with food provided. Seems Grove City College Alumni have decided to honor Bill by reserving the club and having him do a book reading and acoustic set. Sounds like fun. While all along listed as a private show, Tix are now available to members of Bill's forum and street team. That'd be us...... :D

For those who don't know, Bill is an Alum of GCC and the College serves as the setting, albeit under another name, of his coming of age tale ala Holden Caulfield titled Ransom Seaborn. The book is a big hit with fans of Bill's music, perhaps for the thread that runs between the characters in his songs and the ones in his novel. A good read nonetheless, and a darn fine songwriter and singer too.

Enjoy everybody.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:29 pm

Folks,

Here's a link to an article in today's Pittsburgh Tribune-Review.
[url=http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/living/books/s_472663.html]Songwriter Deasy puts pen to paper for debut novel.
[/url]
Here's also a link to a 10-minute radio interview from Sept. 13 where you can listen to Bill Deasy talk about his music and writing a novel.
Bill Deasy on KDKA's Pittsburgh Weekly.

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Bill Deasy at Steel City Coffeehouse 10/7/06

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:19 am

On Saturday night we saw Bill Deasy play over at Steel City Coffeehouse in front of an intimate crowd of about 40-50 folks. Seems he had a handful of his fans there based on the requests and likely gained several more based on the applause heard after each song as well as the encore request.

The setlist:

Dylan Thomas Days
Pale
Proving Ground
Judgement Day
Sweet Thing - Van Morrison
Dancin in the Dark - Springsteen - a request
Levi
In My Head
Naked
Just Believe - my wife's request
Bound To Be - pre-show request
Blue Sky Grey - a request
Until I Get It Right
Lost in America - encore

What I love about guys like Bill Deasy and Ellis Paul and countless other faves is that you may see the same songs show up on setlists....but the shows as a whole are truly one of a kind and always just different enough to make ya glad you were there and anxiously await the next time they roll thru town and .......WOW YOU :shock: ..........all over again.
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:23 am

GREEN with envy! :lol:

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:33 am

KarenZ wrote:GREEN with envy! :lol:

KarenZ

Precisely the way I feel...most of the time...out here...... :lol:
paddy

paddyinthepub

Bill Deasy in Phoenix AZ.

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Oct 22, 2006 2:36 am

Hey guys.....in case ya have music loving friends or family currently in the Phoenix, AZ. area.....I wanted to share this with ya so you could share it with them.

Bill Deasy has an upcoming (OCT. 27th) House Concert in Phoenix, Az.

The info can be found at www.billdeasy.com over at the tour dates page.

Here's an excerpt or two about the show.....And I will add that it's rare to see Bill travel West for a show, save the occasional trip to California.

This is from his website forum discussing the show :

Bill's manager posted the following:

A good sized crew is already expected for this event so if you know anyone in the Phoenix area that might want to go, please have them RSVP ASAP! The two guys who are setting this up have really done a great job and it's the kind of story we love.

We were initially contacted by a Phoenix area fan who had made a special trip to CA for the LA Living Room concerts so graciously hosted by dudefromla and his wife. He loved the shows and wanted to do something similar in Arizona. We noticed that there was yet another Phoenix area member of the Street Team so we hooked them up. They didn't know each other before but have joined forces to make this quite the event! The Street Team member we contacted has never seen Bill live but has been following his career since Gathering Field days so he's very excited -- and we are too!

The 27th is right around the corner so I wanted to put a reminder on the board. The RSVP info. is on the tour dates page.

This was posted by the folks hosting the House Concert :

we couldn't be more excited for this upcoming intimate evening. everything is set for bill to play outdoors under the stars. there will be lighted waterfalls, tiki torches, a fire pit (for those of you that think 68 degrees is cold) and of course bill playing under a huge back-lit tree. it's still not too late...there will be plenty of room, but still cozy enough to keep it intimate.

nice time of the year to come to arridzona...sunny and 85 during the day and mid-sixties at night.

So, again, if you know anyone out in the Phoenix area that might enjoy something like this, let 'em know.

Thanks everybody.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Oct 25, 2006 11:10 pm

Here's a link to an interesting blogspot run by a woman in the DC area who calls herself an author and an instructor. Seems you can send her your novel and she hand picks one every so often, reads it and offers her review and recommendation. The site has an unusual name, PoddyMouth.

She has a no holds barred way of speaking to her potential book candidate submitters...it was almost funny at times. It's just one more great example of the potential power of the internet to help spread the word about artists. She wisely chose Bill Deasy's Book "Ransom Seaborn" to read and review. I do believe she liked it. Alot.

Here's a link to her website and review of Bill Deasy's Ransom Seaborn.

This link came from Bill's myspace......

Wednesday, October 25, 2006

PODDY MOUTH!

This just in! Here's a link to a "Ransom Seaborn" review from the well respected online publication POD-DY MOUTH. Yesterday this teaser appeared: "Tune back in first thing tomorrow when I uncover one of the best jewels of 2006 so far!" And today, voila!

http://www.girlondemand.blogspot.com
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Nov 16, 2006 7:57 am

A quick bump for anyone in range of these two venues tonight and tomorrow night. I'm going to see Bill Deasy play Hoboken tonight. :D

November 16, 2006
The Goldhawk - Hoboken, NJ
936 Park Avenue
(201) 420-7989
Co-bill with Greg Joseph
Time: 8:00 PM
Tickets: $7.00
SA
21+

November 17, 2006
Iota Club - Arlington, VA
2832 Wilson Blvd.
(703) 522-8340
Co-bill with Greg Joseph
Time: 9:30 PM
Doors: 8:00 PM
Tickets: $12.00
SA
21+
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:13 pm

The show at The Goldhawk in Hoboken NJ last night was well worth the 2.5 hour drive each way to see Bill Deasy do what Bill Deasy does....so well. The inclement weather seems to have kept most folks high and dry and at home. I'm a fan of rain, so it wasn't going to keep me away, although I'll admit I thought twice, once, that maybe the forecast was too ominous to be travelling a hundred miles from home. Luckily, the thought passed quickly, and I was on my way come hec or high water. The weather actually cooperated the entire way coming and going, tho there was some evidence of a downpour onstage in the person of Bill Deasy, who got soaked we were told walking the five blocks from the parking garage to the venue. Greg Joseph to the rescue with a dry shirt for Bill to borrow for the night. At the door we were asked to sign our names to a list, and Bill said toward the end of his set that all the audience members whose names were on that list would be welcome to bring a guest for free next time they played The Goldhawk. He smiled as he said " of course it is a bit self serving." It was a very nice way to say thanks for coming on such a night, come back next time we're here, and bring a friend.

For a few minutes and a few blocks I was myself " Lost in America. " I've heard tell that Mapquest cannot be trusted to get ya from Point A to Point B every time and now I believe it. A friend warned me there is no place to park in Hoboken, and she was right. Luckily the Goldhawk mentions the free parking with validation at the IMPARK that's located an easy 5 blocks away.

On to the music: Bill was up first and delivered a really nice mix of old, new, unrecorded, and even one that has yet to be titled. He asked for help, saying we'll settle it here tonight. The crowd waffled a bit, going from one title to the other, even adding a new possibile title for the song. Let's just say it remains untitled, tho I do have some thoughts on which one works best, to follow.

The setlist:

The Miles
Good Day No Rain ( Let It Go )
Pale
.......Willem Dafoe Story
Levi
Up Until Now/Some Catastrophe
Judgement Day
Something So Hard
Naked ( subtitled: Growing Up Catholic )
And I Wanted
Lost In America

Bill mentions The Steelers are undefeated (4-0) at home when he sings the National Anthem.

Somewhere In Me ( request )
Sweet Thing ( request )
Until I Get It Right

A few side notes:

Bill was amazing as always last night. Really at ease in this room and with this crowd. He had them chiming in on the untitled song, they even added a third possibility, one that worked as well. For my money, the title should be Up Until Now and I'll tell ya why it wins out over Some Catastrophe. It's simple: Bill's recorded song titles: All lack negative words. Unless ya count, She's a Big Jerk. Speaking of the subject of that song, Bill's version of Sweet Thing was a touching and revealing tribute to his wife.

Greg Joseph sounds great.

Thanks guys.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Dec 26, 2006 10:06 am

Sitting here in Eastlake, Ohio this morning......and it's just too close to Club Cafe in Pittsburgh, Pa. to miss seeing Bill Deasy play his annual "boxing day" concert, which is tonight!!! It's a solo acoustic show and his fans seem to really look forward to this one each year.

We are also planning to see Bill Deasy and Rob James ( of The Clarks ) in a duo setting Wednesday night at a place called THURSDAYS. It's two friends playing their favorite songs. Some of the setlists I've seen from these shows ( a handful of shows this year ) have always suggested to me a one of a kind...anything goes kind of song selection....one I'd love to be in the audience for. Tomorrow night my wish comes true.

So it's a Bill Deasy....one-two punch for us to wind up 2006.

Happy Boxing Day......hope your week is music filled. :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:07 pm

Closed out a very musical 2006 with a Bill Deasy "tri-fecta."

Solo Acoustic at Club Cafe..great show...next time I arrive early to secure a seat. Who knew??? :shock:

Bill with Rob James - a less intimate venue outside of Pittsburgh...a little noisier with drunken bar patrons not there to "listen". Say la vie. These two are friends and Rob is masterful at spicing things up with his guitar and vocal accompaniments.

BDFB at Hard Rock Cafe....Station Square...Pittsburgh, Pa. WOW!!!

That would be Bill Deasy with Full Band......not to be missed. There's just too few of these each year. Would love to see him take this show on the road. Until then.....I'll travel back to Pittsburgh time and time again. I noticed a BDFB show scheduled for March 31st, 2007 at Club Cafe. YAHOO!

Bill put together a CD for charity called EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN. It's a compilation of songs from various artist/friends of his. Bill has two songs on the disc, a duet with Maia Sharp called What Would Love Say? and a new song called Broken Down World which, despite it's title, is a rolling, uplifting song that suggests "a 3 step approach to healing a broken down world." It's a new favorite of mine. :D

It's worth the cost....and for a good cause. Here's some info:

EVERYTHING UNDER THE SUN!
This compilation CD features contributions from Maia Sharp, Glen Phillips, Scott Blasey, Peter Bradley Adams, Ik Ben, Mike Errico, Molly Bancroft, Elana Arian, John Francis and 2 previously unreleased Bill Deasy tracks. All profits from the sale of this CD benefit the Uncle Grumps Education Initiative, an organization dedicated to improving opportunities in places of entrenched poverty. To read more about it and to order click here.

http://www.unclegrumps.com/merch.php
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Sun Jul 22, 2007 10:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Jan 18, 2007 6:47 pm

If your plans have you anywhere near Pittsburgh in March.....these two shows would be good ones to try and get tickets for. I hope to be there for both of them myself. :D

3-20-07 7:00 PM Club Cafe
56-58 South 12th Street
(412) 431-4950 Pittsburgh, PA $13.00 advance /$15.00 day of show PB 2007 "Spring Lies Waiting" show! Bill Deasy and friends perform the entire SLW CD and other favorites, new and old. Tickets on sale soon! 21+

3-31-07 10:00 PM Club Cafe
56-58 South 12th Street
(412) 431-4950 Pittsburgh, PA $12.00 advance /$14.00 day of show FB With special guest: Molly Bancroft. Tickets on sale soon! 21+
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:38 pm

Folks,

It was just announced that Bill Deasy's debut novel Ransom Seaborn is the 2006 Needle Award winner.

2006 Needle Award Winner

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:32 pm

Paddy will be pleased!!

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:20 pm

Paddy was indeed pleased!!! The winner was to be announced at 8am on the Pod -dy Mouth website and I was logged on and watching a few minutes early. No word of the winner.....anticipation ruled for a couple more minutes.....hit the refresh button...still no word.

At just about 8:03am I hit the refresh button once more to see the updated website news that the winner was in fact Ransom Seaborn. It was as close as I'll ever get to an "Oscar like" moment. 8)

I let out a big ol' TEXAS- SIZED "YES!!!" I was mighty happy for Bill. :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Apr 15, 2007 10:26 am

Bill will be opening a few upcoming shows for Maia Sharp in the Northeast. I happen to be a long time fan of Maia's music, and can say she's amazing in concert. Since Maia has appeared on a couple of Bill's recordings, I'd guess they might share the stage for one or two of those songs.

Here's the info:

6-3-07 7:00 PM Firehouse Center for the Arts
One Market Square
(978) 462-7336 Newburyport, MA

6-5-07 8:30 PM Higher Ground
1214 Williston Rd.
(802) 652-0777 So. Burlington, VT $12.00 advance/

6-6-07 TBA TBA Orono, ME TBA SA Opening for Maia Sharp
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Apr 19, 2007 12:57 pm

Check out the Pittsburgh Penquins site to see a live performance by Bill Deasy. Catchy tune :)

Look under the more news section about the rally..!!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:12 pm

Patti...I'm glad you brought attention to this....cuz I wasn't gonna. :lol:

Oh, I thought about it, then thought maybe it's too silly to share. Especially if you don't follow hockey, or you do but it's another team.

It cracks me up to watch Bill singing at the Pittsburgh Penguins Rally and the team mascot "Iceburgh" holding the lyrics up for Bill. Originally, Good Things Are Happening was a song Bill co-wrote and submitted to Good Morning America when they were looking for a new theme song. The song was chosen, and originally they were going to find a big name to sing it, but it was clear to them that they liked Bill's version the best. He was wisked into a television studio to record the promo...which aired at times during the show. It had Bill on a sound stage strumming his guitar and singing while blue screen technolgy allowed seamless images of hosts Charles Gibson and Diane Sawyer and others having fun on huge video screens behind him. They loved this song.

A couple of side notes from a true fan of Bill Deasy. That would be me. It's of note that this was originally set up to be a 10 week campaign. It went on for 3 and a half years. Some of you may recall the catchy as get out tune as well as the "easy on the eyes" guy up there singing it.

We had left Pittsburgh (a new job) for Seattle, and had kind of lost touch with all things Bill Deasy. We had all his Gathering Field records and his first solo record....but kind of lost track of what he was up to. One day my wife calls me from a business trip to say she thinks Bill is on TV singing the theme song for Good Morning America. "Get Outta Here" I said, followed by "Are you sure?" Well, she was only listening to the show from another room and best she could tell, it was Bill's voice. I tuned into the show the next morning to see for myself. All I'm saying is:

Good Things Are Happening.....OMG...I could hardly beleive my eyes!!!

I thought to myself right then and there, this is the break Bill has deserved for a long time. Bill Deasy will become a household name. I'm certain of it. They will have him on often as the musical guest. This song will be played everyday in millions of homes across America. He will surley gain a gazillion new fans. I'd wake up early every morning just to catch the start of the show and Bill's singing and animated guitar strumming kicking off the show. It was fun to watch Charlie and Diane and the rest dancing to the song as they'd come on the air live. The song was just a perfectly upbeat way to start off the show. Good things are happening..........

It was, of course, to good to be true. Not sure how long the campaign was underway, maybe a few months. Not long after it had begun, it had to stop. On the morning of September 11th, 2001, fun was no longer the order of the day at GMA, or any of the other morning news shows. It was a long time before I would hear the song played agian as the theme to the show. It eventually came back on....occasionally. I don't think they ever had Bill on the program to sing this song or any others. At least not the way I had it planned out in my mind that first day I heard and saw Bill Deasy on National TV.

To see him rework this song for the local NHL Hockey team makes me smile(giggle really) - a little homesick - nostalgic for days gone by.

Here's a link to the Pens website - find the link for the Downtown Pep Rally held on 4/11/07...it's a 15 min video clip of the rally but fortunately Bill is up first and on and off the stage in the first 4 minutes. To see a 7 ft stuffed Penguin hold the lyric sheet and appear to play air guitar towards the end of the song is worth the price of admission folks.

Enjoy......and I hope you find yourself in a place in your day, where you can let go of the awful news of the day even for a minute, and look at all the good things that are happening everywhere around you...and when you do, find yourself humming or singing these simple, yet catchy words:

Good things are happening......my heart is opening. (original lyric)

http://www.pittsburghpenguins.com/multimedia/

ps - Bill never got famous. When I heard about this pep rally and song on Bill's website, all I saw was a photo of the event...it was before the video link surfaced and a member posted it. So naturally I thought Bill would surely benefit from the thousands likely in attendance at this rally. From the sound of things (crowd response) there's less than 30 people there.

pss - I thought Ellis Paul was going to become a household name as well after his song appeared in Me, Myself, and Irene. I knew he would. Then Shallow Hal. Big movies and big name actors. Surely it would lead to a gazillion new fans. I'll settle for those, like us, in the know. :wink:

And maybe a million or two more...... :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:30 pm

All I can say is that Bill Deasy rocks. And so do the Pittsburgh Penguins. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Apr 19, 2007 5:47 pm

I watched a few minutes beyond Bill's performance to learn that the mayor plans to grow a beard to show support of the team, the Penguins almost left town but are now set to stay put for the next 30 years. :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 24, 2007 10:52 am

Bill will be opening for Maia Sharp on a swing through the Northeast.

Here's more info:

http://www.billdeasy.com/tour_dates.htm
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jun 06, 2007 8:31 am

Folks,

Big news in Bill Deasy Land. Bill wrote this in yesterday's BD newsletter:

But the biggest news item, and the one I'm most excited about, is the release of my new CD, The Miles - set to launch on July 3rd. So if all goes smoothly, it will be available at the GF extravaganza. Might even have them at the June 30th show.

If you're surprised by the appearance of a new CD, you're not alone. I was too. I hadn't really planned on doing a new recording quite yet, but then one day I realized that the song list I'm always shuffling in my mind, had settled into something that felt permanent. IT WAS TIME!!!! So I called up Skip Sanders, band keyboardist and golden-eared engineer.

"Skip," I said. "I want to do a new record. What's your May like?''

Well, it turned out, Skip's May was wide open, so we dove right in. Our aim was simple - begin with the basic songs performed as honestly as possible, then only add things that made them sound better. We started with some vocals and acoustic guitars, plowed through the drums in a day and a half, then spent a fun, painless week on bass and electric guitars. Long story short, we did the last bit of tracking May 31st and the mix is underway!!!

The Miles is a collection of 12 new songs, 4 of them co-writes, the rest penned all by my lonesome. They range from outright rockers to intimate acoustic ballads. It's the first big "studio" record I haven't gone out of state to make which has been a welcome change. It's also the first time I've been the sole producer on a project - so the vision that comes across is as distinctly mine as anything I've ever released. It feels good.

I won't ruin the suspense by giving the track listing just yet. I'll only say that some of the material has been in the set for a while now while other stuff showed up quite recently. I started writing one of the songs 17 years ago and finished just last month. There are wonderful guest vocalists, some tasty strings and horns, and Throck, Skip, Scooter and Rob being their awesome selves. Oh - and Elspeth Fahey, who designed Ransom Seaborn, did the artwork. So it will look as good as it sounds.

I had no idea a new CD was forthcoming so this is a terrific surprise. :o

Karenz

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Jun 20, 2007 12:30 pm

The reunion show:

The Gathering Field - JULY 3rd - Pittsburgh, Pa....930pm

here's a link: pictured are Bill Deasy and his old band - Gathering Field.

http://www.threeriversregatta.com/entertainment/concert.asp

Some of the best roots rock ever made, anywhere.
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jul 03, 2007 12:00 pm

It's a pleasure to share this news with music lovers everywhere:

Bill Deasy's new record -- The Miles -- is out today!!!

The song samples and chance to pick it up can be found here:

http://cdbaby.com/cd/billdeasy

Sounds like another winner for Mr. Deasy...... :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Aug 08, 2007 12:27 am

There are 2 upcoming shows of Bill Deasy's at Club Cafe In Pittsburgh of note in a "save the date" kind of way.

Both these nights will have an early and late show. The first has Bill playing solo acoustic (always a treat) in Live By Request mode. You place your name in his guitar case upon arrival and if you are one of the 18 or so lucky enough to be selected, the floor is yours and your request is the next song played. These shows are always cool. The second show I wanted to mention is the official release party for Bill's new CD "The Miles" with the full band (again, always a treat). This record is so good and leads me to believe it's bound to be quite the night. If you can swing a roadtrip -- these are a couple -- actually 4 shows -- to try and catch.....We'll be there!!!

8/23/07 Live By Request -- 2 shows -- 7 and 10p
9/08/07 "The Miles" CD Release Party -- 2 shows-- 7 and 10:30p
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:33 pm

I asked "Emilylaughed" for permission to post a link to the photos she took at Bill's Live By Request show at Club Cafe last Thursday.

"By all means" she said. :D

http://www.flickr.com/groups/billdeasy/pool/
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:45 pm

Bill wrote the new theme song for Pittsburgh's local CBS affiliate KDKA....

Here's a link to the KDKA site and full length version of "Your Home" which is set to air for the first time tomorrow night. It features Bill singing the song with a montage of scenes around town that include the station's on - air personalites. 8)

Click on the video link of the kid holding the baseball:

http://kdka.com/unassigned/local_story_219192224.html
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”