Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Dave Carter & Tracy Grammer

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:22 pm

Hey all you Dave and Tracy fans...here's Tracy's latest news:

KarenZ

Hello friends,

A quick note to let you know that SEVEN IS THE NUMBER, the final album I recorded with the late, great Dave Carter, is now available for PRE-SALE at tracygrammer.com. The album features 11 Dave Carter gems, 9 of which appeared on an out of print solo album and 2 of which are new.

The album was unfinished at the time of Dave's death in 2002. I completed the tracking and mixes in May 2006 with engineer Mark Frethem in Portland, Ore. We are delighted to be able to offer this to recording you (finally!)...

See the NEWS section of the site for a description of the album; read lyrics on the MUSIC page; and order the CD (and everything else I've ever done, with Dave or solo) on the MERCHANDISE page.

SITN will ship the week of JULY 24, 2006; all other merchandise ships right away.

Happy solstice to all~
Tracy
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jun 26, 2006 11:52 am

These songwriters are truly amazing. I admit to not knowing too much about the duo of Dave Carter and Tracy Grammar except that I should.

When Richard Shindell played King Of Prussia last summer, he sang a song he had written after Dave's untimely death. The song has Whipporwill in the title. Then I'm watching the dvd of a concert celebating the 10th anniversary of Signature Sounds and Tracy Grammar is up there singing a song that comments on Richard's reference to Dave as Whipporwill.

If you were to begin at the begin with Dave and Tracy, what's a good one to get started with? I've only really heard of DRUM,HAT,BUDDHA.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:01 pm

There are two earlier ones, either of which would be a good starting point: When I Go and Tanglewood Tree.

I had the good fortune to see Dave & Tracy 4 times within little more than a year...the last of which was a spontaneous (that morning) decision to travel to Columbus, Ohio to see them (Mark Erelli was opening which really clinched it)....and it turned out to be the last time I saw Dave....he passed away a few weeks later. So tragic.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:14 pm

Cool, thanks Karen. That kind of thing happened to me once as well. It's a little weird and the mind just can't help but taking you back to the very place you JUST saw them last.
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Jun 26, 2006 12:22 pm

We saw Tracy Grammer at a House Concert just before Christmas - Jim Henry played with her. Had been fans of Dave Carter & Tracy Grammer for a long time and one regret is not ever seeing DC live in concert.

Its great that she's continuing to play live as well as record solo and wish her continued success.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Nov 08, 2006 9:10 am

Folks,

A heads-up that Tracy Grammer will be on WUMB's Live at Noon this Friday, Nov. 10, 2006. That would be noon EST (Boston). Richard and Jela, that should work for you two. I know Tracy is one of your favorites. :)

WUMB web site

Karenz

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Nov 10, 2006 5:00 pm

Karen - you're right she is a favourite - unfortunately neither one of us was home early enough from work today to catch this - perhaps next time?

Jela

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:07 am

Wow, sometimes you just don't know what you're missing. I saw Tracy Grammer tonight and was really blown away. I'm not familiar at all with her music, but she did sing the song referencing Richard Shindell. I think I recognized "Farewell St. Delores?" Does that sound right? I know I heard someone else perform that this past year, but can't for the life of me remember who. Anyway, I'm really glad I got to witness her talent.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Nov 30, 2006 8:55 am

Sue Ellen,

"Farewell to St. Dolores" is from Dave Carter & Tracy Grammer's 2000 release Tanglewood Tree. Not sure what the reference to Richard Shindell might have been. Was Tracy's new musical partner, Jim Henry, with her? Jim is a wonderful singer-songwriter in his own right....so nice that Tracy and Jim have have hooked up as a duo. Ellis Paul makes a guest appearance on Jim Henry's 1995 release Jacksonville. That's how I found Jim. All roads lead to Ellis Paul. ;)

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:07 pm

Yes, it was Jim Henry singing/playing with Tracey Grammer. He played mandolin and guitar, she played a fiddle and guitar and they sang beautifully together.

I didn't catch the name of the song that referenced Richard Shindell, but earlier in this thread
Paddy wrote:When Richard Shindell played King Of Prussia last summer, he sang a song he had written after Dave's untimely death. The song has Whipporwill in the title. Then I'm watching the dvd of a concert celebating the 10th anniversary of Signature Sounds and Tracy Grammar is up there singing a song that comments on Richard's reference to Dave as Whipporwill.

When she introduced the song, she said it was a farewell song and had Richard Shindell in it; she then said she couldn't wait to hear his new cd, then ammended and said she couldn't wait til we heard it, because she'd already heard parts of it. Jim Henry responded "Well, la-dee-da." Tracey Grammer said, "Well that's what happens when you're the teacher's pet."

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 11, 2006 11:21 am

Good mornin girls......

So Says The Whipporwill......is Richard Shindell's song about Dave Carter.

The Verdant Mile.......is Tracy Grammer's song about Dave Carter. She makes reference to RS in the lyric:

richard says the whippoorwill taught him how to go
i tell him death is just a dream but i don't really know

Hope this helps.
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:29 pm

Thank you.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Dave Carter & Tracy Grammer

Postby KarenZ » Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:50 pm

Folks,

Believe it or not, there's a new Dave Carter & Tracy Grammer CD of songs mostly never heard before. You can read all about how Little Blue Egg came to pass and listen to it in its entirety at Folk Alley for the next 7 days (until its official release on Feb. 14, 2012) at this link:

Hear It First: Dave Carter & Tracy Grammer - 'Little Blue Egg'

KarenZ

Return to “Looking for My Friends”