Mark Knopfler

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

wendy

Mark Knopfler

Postby wendy » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:13 am

I just can't hold this in any longer:
Mark Knopfler is coming to the Boothbay Opera House next month as a fund raiser for the Opera House!!! :shock:
News officially broke on the 14th and tickets go on sale on the 18th...

I don't know how director Kate Schrock pulled this off, but my hat is off to her! What a coup!
Don't know if they have this info up yet, but FMI http://www.boothbayoperahouse.org
oh, and Slaid Cleaves is coming soon, too! What a treat to have a place like this just a few miles from home. Talk about feeling lucky/blessed.... 8)
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:52 am

Wendy....wow....that is a coup! Good for Kate Schrock and all you lucky dawgs in the area. :lol: WYEP has been playing stuff from the new Emmy Lou Harris/Mark Knophler collaboration All the Roadrunning alot....

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:32 pm

I will admit I was never a Mark Knopfler fan. Recently I have changed my mind. I love his song about Ray Kroc. Plus Matt Nathanson does a killer cover of Romeo and Juliet. You hear a snippet of it here: http://www.awarestore.com/index.php?op= ... m_id=14358 It really change my whole view on Knopfler's talent as a songwriter.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

wendy

Postby wendy » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:55 am

I agree, Bonnie.
Song-writer is not the first description that comes to mind; rather killer guitarist (Who can forget the "Local Hero" theme, or playing with Chet Atkins on Neck & Neck?).

Get away from the heavy electronics, though, and there's some pretty special work there. Ever hear him on Prairie Home Companion? Wow! :shock: And with Emmie Lou Harris? double :shock: Or what about the work he did with James Taylor - specifically "Sailing to Philidelphia"?
He does do great story songs. (not the caliber of our EP, but still.... :))

IMHO, it's way past time to start listening to more than just the guitar work from this man.
-wendy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:05 am

and....We can't talk aout Mark Knopfler w/o mentioning all those great songs by his old band Dire Straits. I was a huge fan of that music.

Money For Nothing......Chicks For Free. I think Sting from The Police chimed in on that vocal. Who knew he was singing what would someday become his mantra? 8)

Thanks, I'm here til Tuesday...........
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

mm

Postby mm » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:27 pm

Just FYI...I'm on Mark Knopfler's email mailer, and this show was announced today. Tix are $175 (general admission) and $500 for the super special seats that include a post show reception with him and hors d'ourves. I guess it's a benefit for the Opera House.

He is indeed one of the finest guitar players ever and a favorite in this household. I still love the story of the dinosaur named after Mark because every time the paleontologists played Dire Straits during that dig, they discovered more bones.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:04 pm

I forgot all about the dinosaur. I love that story!! :D

http://www.geocities.com/CapeCanaveral/ ... raits.html
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Aug 20, 2006 7:17 am

Hi folks,

I'm sure Wendy has seen this, but here's a link to an article in The Boothbay Register about the Mark Knophler concert. Our EP gets a mention, anyway. ;)

Dire Straits' Mark Knopfler to give benefit concert at Opera House

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Aug 20, 2006 8:25 am

Mark Knopfler and Emmylou Harris on A & E Breakfast with the Arts right now talkin about the new record.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

PeteM

Postby PeteM » Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:53 pm

The Mark/Emmylou CD deserves a place in everyones collection. May they collaborate again sometime. Two of my favorite musicians working together. How good does life get? :o
Peter

wendy

Postby wendy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 8:44 am

Another WOW concert at the Boothbay Opera House...
The grand old building was packed to the gills with happy fans, and Mark Knopfler and accompanying musicians were fabulous!

I had no idea what to expect from a performer who's been playing nothing but mega-venues for the past 2 decades, but Mark was friendly, affable and funny, as well as showing us why he's one of the most respected guitarists in the world...
He played some of my favorites: Sailing for Philidelphia, Song for Sonny Liston, Romeo and Juliet, and theme from A Local Hero, along with many older and newer pieces, even a number or two from the Emmy Lou Harris duet CD(!).

Best of all, the crowd was great: enthusiastic, but respectful. There was absolute silence when Mark was talking, singing, playing. What a treat of an evening it was!
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Sep 21, 2006 9:33 am

Oooh Wendy....good for you. Sounds like a fabulous night of music. Can't wait to see Ellis there. :)

Since it doesn't seem like an autumn show in Portland is shaking out, maybe we should plan a board gathering for January. We could get two shows under our belt: Boothbay and Brownfield. :)

KarenZ

wendy

Postby wendy » Thu Sep 21, 2006 11:18 am

Sounds GREAT to me! :D

Antje is going to be Ellis's "special guest" at the Boothbay Opera House show, and the promo says he'll be recording that night, too! (again, apparently... seems the Opera House appeals to many musicians for recording purposes 8) )
-wendy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”