Bob Schneider 40 Dogs (Like Romeo and Juliet)

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Bob Schneider 40 Dogs (Like Romeo and Juliet)

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:57 am

wordplay coldplay and robert keen sound pat green groove 40 dogs has found heartthrob bob and schneider smiles wider this star's light shinin brighter and brighter it's an austin sound that we have found rachael ray and big apple bound

Been a minor fan of Bob Schneider for a while and even have an older CD buried around here somewhere. On a music buying spree two weeks ago at Main Street Music in Manayunk (great record store) for a Saturday afternoon in-store performance by DAWES (brand new fave)

Picked up new ones picked up used ones. Hell, I even picked up a new copy of an old John Prine CD simply because Dawes songwriter frontman and lead singer Taylor Smith looked around the store at all the great music and singled out John Prine before the band on the spot tore into a blistering cover of Pretty Good Not Bad. I bought it for the nostalgia of it all. Music People are Crazy reads the sign at the entrance to the Kerrville Folk Festival and it's there for a very good reason. It's true!

On a recent roadtrip to Ohio for Thanksgiving we loaded up the car with luggage and new music to get us over the river and through the woods. Lots of great new sounds comin thru and Bob Schneider's CD Little Creature's was one of them. It stood out but I moved on, maybe because I got the chance to see Bill Deasy at Moondog's in Pittsburgh the same weekend and got hold of his new one, Being Normal.

But yesterday, it hit me. Actually, as it oftentimes does, it hit Pam. She had wanted that CD in the car for her drive into work. I obliged. Next day, early morning, I start the car. The Bob Schneider CD is playing. Once again it sounds pretty good to me. But that's not the punch. I look over from my driver's side to see her standing at the passenger side door. The window is up. The door is locked. Now ordinarily she would be impatiently waiting for me to hit the unlock button. Instead, I find her lost in thought. Lost in song. Singing along to the words of a Bob Schneider song. One she can barely hear playing through the closed car window. Uh oh, I think. She's found another one. Turns out it's one of her favorite songs on the new record and we proceed to drive out of the neighborhood making our merry way through the gorgeous morning listening to the song over and over and over and.....

Well, it's her favorite song and I must admit I love it too but don't have the foggiest right now the name of the track. It's a good one, probably even a great one, I just lost the gist and song title. Hank Senior moment. But the song that grabbed me and wouldn't let go is 40 Dogs. That's the one that inspired a few words to tag these youtubes I posted on our facebook and best represent the joy I find discovering a great new song from an old musical friend.

Thinkin back it's kind of funny. I missed this when it aired live. I recall having the tv on that day and even seeing and hearing Rachael Ray introduce Bob Schneider. I thought yeah I know him, he's alright. Seems to be getting some decent breaks, finally. Good for him. Then I walked out of the room and forgot all about him. Til the roadtrip. Enjoy!

Bob Schneider on Rachael Ray ~ 40 Dogs (Like Romeo and Juliet)

Bob Schneider Official Video ~ 40 Dogs (Like Romeo and Juliet)

"You're the color of the colored part of the Wizard of Oz Movie"

8)
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Re: Bob Schneider 40 Dogs (Like Romeo and Juliet)

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:25 pm

40 Dogs (Like Romeo and Juliet)
by Bob Schneider

Well if I spell it out if I get it out will you hear me when I tell you about what I have to say before it gets too late. It's not as easy as they said it'd be but there’s something to write about you and me something right about you and me.

Well you’re the color of a burning book you’re the color of a sideways look from an undercover cop in a comic book you're the color of a storm in June you're the color of the moon. You're the color of the night that’s right. The color of a fight you move me. You’re the color of the colored part of the Wizard of Oz movie.

We're like Romeo and Juliet we're like 40 dogs cigarettes. We're like good times that haven’t happened yet but will. I can tell you where we're gonna be when the whole world falls in-to the sea we’ll be livin’ ever after, happily.

All the boys taking you for granted tell you what they want with their eyes all slanted. I don’t like the way they look at you. I don’t like the way they talk, too. I don’t like the way they talk to you. I wouldn’t let 'em talk to you like that.

Put 'em up high reach for the ceiling tell 'em that I don't walk damnit I'm reelin' it ain't no crime it's just dreams we’re stealing. Anything to get more of this feeling you take the high and I'll take the low. We'll get there before you know. We ain't got no time to waste we got too much life to taste.

We're like Romeo and Juliet and 40 dogs cigarettes we're like good times that haven’t happened yet but will. And I can tell you where we're gonna be when the whole world falls in-to the sea we'll be livin’ ever after happily.

Sometimes you remind me of a moonbeam on the ghost of a moonbeam out on the beach down by the coast. Slip into the net like the most..beautiful thing...I've ever seen.

Come out tonight come out with me baby we'll throw the careful into the crazy. Turn the sky black into a sky blue. Turn a close shave into a hoo hoo! What I say is true. Make a fire ought to burn a few. Make a fire ought to burn a few we can do what we want to do.

We're like Romeo and Juliet 40 dogs cigarettes we're like good times that haven’t happened yet but will. I can tell you where we're gonna be when the whole world falls in-to the sea we'll be livin’ ever after happily.
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
paddy

mm

Postby mm » Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:56 pm

Paddy, I have a friend Leslie who is a huge Bob Schneider fan and even got to chauffeur him and his band around recently. I will show her your post and I am certain she will be delighted. Thanks for bringing to the forum!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:23 pm

Monica that's like the next best thing to being the rockstar.... 8)

Changing My Mind is track #5 on Lovely Creatures and the one that resonated with Pam that day. We listened a little closer tonight on the way to dinner and she alluded to finally making out the very last lines of the song. I listened and couldn't tell what he was singing at first. But that's what friends are for ~ you get by with a little help from them.

She told me, listened again, got it. Changing My Mind is a shared favorite of another amazing song from Bob Schneider. You're gonna love it and per chance you're listening on a full moon night, even better. :wink:

Changing My Mind Live at Waterloo Records in Austin Texas

Changing My Mind Live at Saxon Pub in Austin Texas

the last lines seem to be in tribute and a nod to....

8)
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
paddy

leslie

Postby leslie » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:23 am

Thanks, Monica, for the blog plug.

I've been seeing Bob Schneider for a long, long time. I'm mixed about his new success. I don't want to see him in a big venue, though I want to do well.

I love "Changing Your Mind." It was on the previous album, too, and I liked the whiny version just as much, but Patty Griffin is really incredible.

The end. :-)

mm

Re: Bob Schneider: song "40 Dogs" from Like Romeo and Juliet

Postby mm » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:26 pm

Hi Leslie! So glad you checked in and joined online. Paddy has become a fast fan of your Bahhhhhb. I can't wait to dive in. Now you can explore all things about the world here that is our friend Ellis Paul!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:45 am

Hi Leslie welcome to the wide world of good sports.... :P

Know what ya mean when the rest of the world discovers old faves and how you can long for the days when they were kind of like your own well kept secret. I've watched Robert Keen go from playing for 50 fans at Anderson Fair to well, ya know..... I'm happy for him but I kinda like the old days better when he sang his songs ~ Not the audience.... :shock:

I hope you'll hang out from time to time to talk music or anything else ~ if I learn to sing on key I'm going to ask Monica if you are available to chauffer me around town. We'd being playing us some Bob Schneider music 4sho. I'd sing Bob's part and you take Patty's :wink:

I'll have to find the other Bob Schneider. It's been so long. Say, is that Patty Griffin singing on Changing Your Mind? I think it might be but my wife knows Patty's voice when she hears it and says ain't no way....

Opposites attract :roll:

Thanks again, Leslie :)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:57 am

So high on this one I can barely stand....

Not to hear it just one more time before i go....

just a song before I go......say that's kinda catchy :wink:

Another live version of Changing Your Mind
paddy

leslie

Postby leslie » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:08 am

Of course it's Patty Griffin. That's why I mentioned it. Enjoy!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:16 am

Listening again realize Changing Your Mind is a Dixie Chicks song waiting to happen. Turns out I may be onto something. Bob Schneider and Martie Maguire ~ Changing Your Mind

Here's the original version of Changing Your Mind set to home video of a family in Hong Kong. Wow, does this bring back memories....

The original version of Changing Your Mind

Bob Schneider on Dean Swoon's List
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Mon Dec 07, 2009 12:03 pm, edited 3 times in total.
paddy

leslie

Postby leslie » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:35 am

Hmmmm. OK, I'm not quite sure I understand your reply and all its implications, but here's what I know. "Changing Your Mind" was first released on When The Sun Breaks Down on the Moon, though BS performed it live for a long time before its release. He played it on the piano the first time I'd ever heard it, during a solo tour, and he played it with a full band, often inviting his opening act, or the act for which he opened, to sing it with him. He was a tour opener for the Dixie Chicks a few years ago. And I saw him perform it with his opener, Amie Miriello. In this last concert, he didn't do it at all. [sniff]

On the current record, Lovely Creatures, Bob re-recorded the song with an entirely new arrangement. Patty Griffin is the backing vocalist on the record. She sings only on the chorus ("I can't change your mind") and the second half of the bridge ("It reminds me of the feeling where / I first looked into your eyes / saw the most beautiful birds fly / straight into the sun / their wings on fire / the deed was done." It's a fairly clear vocal, and I thought it was signature Patty. In fact, when I first heard the song, I got excited because I knew it must be Patty, and when I got home from hearing it in the car, I had a friend listen at LaLa. She got it right on the first try.

It's a lovely song. I loved the spare version on the previous album, but it annoyed my daughter. This version annoys her less, but I still play it far too many times for her liking.

Anyway, "40 Dogs" is now on the Miller Family rotation, as we have been strumming it in the kitchen for a few days, doing the harmonies and all. I used to play "Changing Your Mind" on the guitar, and I think I might have to go back to doing so, now that this thread has got me thinking about it some more.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:52 am

Ooops! :oops:

Sorry Leslie, I deleted the first paragraph hoping to do so before anyone had a chance to read it. To paraphrase it, and what you refer to.....

I was saying for me there was room for doubt it's Patty singing after reading your post where you said the song was released on a prior record and how you enjoyed Patty Griffin, I misconstrued the two thoughts into one thinking perhaps that Patty sang on the first version.

I know better, now..... :wink:

As for her singing on the new version, yeah, that's got to be her, it's just that strange to me, and unclear to my wife, is that Patty does not go all Patty on the vocal if you know what i really mean. It's restrained mostly and Bob's vocal soars higher and clearer up front in the mix.

Sorry for the confusion....I was hoping you were out driving rockstars around town today and that I could remove the babylon and on before you saw it and felt the need to say whaaa?

Now I wonder if Patty Griffin might have covered the song.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:14 pm

paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:08 am

In an are ya even freakin kiddin me? kind of way it's time to put this music lover and these 40 dogs to bed in a seal the deal right here kind of way!

Bob Schneider kickin azz and takin CD order names
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:24 am

Not to toot a Bob Schneider horn ~ I'll leave the horn tootin to him thank you very much! Slower Dear is on Lovely Creatures, too.

Slower Dear

:shock:
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

leslie

Postby leslie » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:12 am

"Slower Dear" is the song where I yell, "I love you!" really loudly when he sings that. :-)

Also, this song is way better on the previous album, When the Sun Breaks Down on the Moon, which you need to buy, apparently. You'll like it.

I told Bob after a show a year or so ago that I was his stalker. He stepped back. I said, "I'm obviously not a good stalker if you don't know me." And then he said, "Hmmm...but I saw you knew all the words to 'Slower Dear.'"

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:41 am

I can't believe the transformation Changing Your Mind took on the new record. Heard an older version the other day and it hardly sounds like the same song. What's so funny is I have an old Bob Schneider CD around here and I'd be hard pressed to name one song that's on it. Could be the very one you talked about. I'm a fan now, which means I'll seek out the old stuff and try to keep up with when and where he's playing within reasonable time and space. But then any "ardent shadower" worth his salt wouldn't let those things stop them. I don't picture fans diapering up for a cross country haul but I guess that Depends on the state You're In....
paddy

leslie

Postby leslie » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:56 am

He often plays several nights a week in Austin. But every time he's been here, he's been at World Cafe just before. Expect his next tour in the spring or early summer. He usually comes here in November and June.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:08 pm

silly selective memory allowed me to see a recent World Cafe Live mention and not give going a second thought ~ silly silly me
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Dec 22, 2009 10:30 am

Bob Schneider ~ Art Works A Voice For The Arts ~ Ben Bamsey

Above link to see the full article ~ Here's an excerpt ~ it's easily one of the best music pieces I've ever seen written ~ and I've seen a bunch.

It’s Monday night in Austin, Texas. Indescribable streaks of color tear the atmosphere as the big southern sun sets. The regular crowd shuffles down South Lamar Boulevard filing into a blank looking building with a large lighted guitar attached to the roof. Outside, a 12-foot high silver suit of armor stands stoutly in front of an ordinary sign reading Saxon Pub. The buzzing, cheap neon letters above it spell out “Live Music,” shading all attempts at chivalry. Inside, the walls are covered in plywood paneling, American beers are poured from the tap and there’s a pool table in the back. The city banned public smoking on September 1st, 2005, but the place still smells a lot like it did on September 2nd. While the air is stale, the atmosphere is not. Liberal cowboys, college coeds and beer-bellied grandparents alike breathe better because of him. Their faces are as diverse as the graffiti on the bathroom walls, but their feet move in unison to his beat. Many wear his T-shirts. Everyone knows his songs. This is Bob Schneider’s stage – his home – and these people are his family, united in song.
paddy

leslie

Postby leslie » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:31 am

That's a brilliant article. Thanks for the link!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:33 pm

That's why I'm here ~ James Taylor

It's my pleasure, Leslie

:)
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”