John Gorka

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

Richard + Jela

John Gorka

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:59 am

I've had John Gorkas's new CD on constantly in my car 'Writing in the Margins' and since the first listen, which immediately appealed to me I am loving this CD more and more each time I hear it.

If you get the chance to listen to it, you will not be disappointed.

Great that he's going to be on the forthcoming Essensual (sorry that should be Essential) Ellis CD - can't wait!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:03 am

Jela,

I have been hearing stuff from the new John Gorka CD on WUMB. Thanks for the vote of confidence. :)

BTW...in Ogunquit I did mention to Ellis that it seemed like many of the songs that did't quite make the cut for the Essential CD would be perfect for an Essensual Ellis Paul CD. Not sure if he liked the idea. :cry:

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:10 am

Ha ha!

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 31, 2006 1:22 pm

Wow...we are runnin a lil low on John Gorka posts here. So, a few words:

Jela, agree with ya on the new one, def grows on ya after repeated listens.

I don't write songs, I just don't. But if I could sit and co - write with someone, John would be high on the list of folks I'd like to sit and write with. For the longest time he had no co-writes listed in liner notes. That all changed with the song January Floor which John's brother penned the first verse for leaving John to fill in the rest. Then I see on the latest record "Writing In The Margins" John has a few co-writes with his wife.

Can hardly wait to hear the collaboration tween Ellis and John on the upcoming Essential Ellis. :)

John Gorka - - - I'd tell folks I was going to a concert. Who ya gonna see?

John Gorka. - - - "who?"

nevermind. :?

Any other fans of John Gorka with a word or two?

It'd be nice to hear from his fans among us.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 06, 2006 1:12 pm

Folk Alley now has a live John Gorka interview performance (taped during the 39th Kent State Folk Festival) archived on the web site. The 90-minute segment is one of two recorded during the festival; the other being Canadian Juno-Award-winner (and one of my favorites) David Francey. You can listen to both here:

John Gorka and David Francey archived on Folk Alley

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Sep 07, 2006 2:49 pm

Thanks Karen....love hearing interviews with folks like John. I'll get to it soon enough....probs with the computer at home right now...just over to the library to catch up as of late. David Francey, huh??? Soon enough.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Oct 05, 2006 7:25 am

Folks,

John Gorka will be the special guest for WUMB's Live at Noon tomorrow - Oct. 6, 2006 at 12pm EST.

You can listen here:

WUMB

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:02 am

OOOH...thanks for that nugget, Karen. Is he going to play live...or spin his favorite tunes...like the guest dj thing they do?

Either would be great.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:30 am

Paddy,

I don't think Live at Noon is the same as guest DJ...so as far as I know it's live performance/interview.

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

John Gorka @ Club Cafe

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:18 pm

Karen,

If my memory serves me well, you're holding tix for John Gorka's show at Club Cafe in Pittsburgh in late October.

Wait a minute....it's late October!!! How did that happen???

In fact, the show is day after tomorrow. I see that Jess Klein is the opener.

Don't forget your camera this time. :P

Say, are you eligible for fan photo of the week?

Enjoy the show.........hope you'll grace us with a few words on the show.

And photos too...... :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Oct 24, 2006 8:47 pm

Paddy,

Yep, I'm there for Gorka. Not sure I'll be taking my camera though since I'll be heading there after work and it's one too many things to be carting around along with the purse, lunch bag, briefcase and work-out bag. I'm a regular bag-lady. ;)

I will try to post a report.

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Oct 24, 2006 9:27 pm

Karen...too funny. :D

If only OVERSTOCK.COM carried some of the James Bond 007 stuff.

We'd chip in and get ya one of those bags with the built-in camera.

Enjoy one of the most intense white guys on the planet. :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:45 am

Folks,

Wow….it was the “new” John Gorka last night. He used to be so….somber. But he was exceptionally loose and funny last night for the SRO show at the Club Café in Pittsburgh. Terrific show.

The setlist:

1. Working in corners (Nanci Griffith cover)
2. When she kisses me
“Welcome draggers and draggees, I did that song to mislead the new ones” (into believing that he does happy, upbeat songs.)
3. I’m from New Jersey
“I wrote that before EZ Pass” (referring to the line about NJ toll booths.)
“If you hear a song you don’t like – you won’t hear it again.”
4. Arm’s length
“I almost said ‘stop in the name of love’” (referring to sticking his arm out like the old Supremes move)
5. Then he asks for input for the next song.
“fast or slow?” (Crowd chooses fast.)
“old or new?” (Crowd chooses old.)
“Positive or negative?” (crowd chooses negative.)
“Had you said ‘positive’ you would have stumped the band.”
6. Mean streak
7. Let them in (on piano)
8. I saw a stranger with your hair
9. Blue chalk
10. Writing in the margins (inspired by a conversation that he had with an Army reservist back from his 2nd tour of duty in Iraq)
BREAK
11. What was that
12. Good noise
“A song about accentuating the positive in small ways”
13. cypress trees
14. unblindfold the referee
“a song about the search for hope"
15. snow don’t fall (a Townes Van Zandt cover)
16. people my age
“a horrible song, but part of my job as a folksinger is to bring the truth to the people”
“I’m being careful not to make eye contact here”

17. houses in the fields
18. branching out
“the 3 capos at the top of the guitar help improve reception” (referring to taking mental requests)
19. the road of good intentions (the song the Army Reservist approached him about)
“songs # 10 and 11 are sing-a-longs. Sorry I didn’t tell you about the earlier ones.”
Invites Jess Klein (who opened the show) to the stage to help out. Comments that the younger folksingers (including Jess) go to school for licensed certified kumba-ology but “I have a lot of experience in the field.”
20. People get ready (Curtis Mayfield cover)
Leans over to Jess to confer about the next song to do.
“we just had a rehearsal”
21. every little thing is gonna be alright (Bob Marley cover)

Encore: (done solo)
22. Love is our cross to bear

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:29 am

Oh my, that must have been a fabulous show!

Glad to hear JG is back to his silly-self (he was often that way at his shows in Maine, back when we saw him at least annually).
Thanks Karen, I can easily imagine every little nuance :)
-wendy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Oct 27, 2006 10:58 am

Karen,

Boy oh boy....ask and ye shall receive.....great review...thanks. :D

on the setlist titles:

Was it possibly

12. Good Noise - well if ya cannot make yourself a good noise, tell me, whatcha doin here?

18. Branching Out - When I grow up I'm gonna be a tree, make my home with the birds and the bees and the squirrels...they can count on me, when I grow up I'm gonna be a tree......I'm gonna reach.....

On a side note to this song: Jalapenos - Katie, this song is often a hit with younger school age students and their teachers. A real fun song for the kiddos to learn and sing along to. If that sort of thing fits your curriculum..... :D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:09 am

Yikes. I know the song is "good noise" so I have no idea why I typed "news". I did guess on the other. Thanks for the correction.

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:54 am

Yea...at first I thought maybe John had written a new song - Good News.

Of course an unlikely title and theme for John Gorka. He does have another song called Good.....where he simply sings about the things he's good at......."I am good at night...sun don't fit me right".

For those not familiar with John Gorka's discography, Branching Out was on John's debut release called I Know.

A fine album...great songs - bgvox by Lucy Kaplansky and Shawn Colvin.

Also his only Album Cover to feature a photo of him clean shaven. :shock:
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:21 pm

Karen - sounds like a great show ........now only if we could get him to come over here.........a girl can hope can't she?????

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:38 pm

Jela.....good point...don't often see John crossing the pond to do shows your way. Another idea would be to have the folks at Club Passim book John Gorka and a host of our other favorites - we could supply the list - the week leading up to Ellis' shows at New Year's Eve.

Be a great way to plan another EP devotee get together.

Congrats on your ticket confirmations, have a safe trip, and a great time.

Cheers. :D
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Oct 27, 2006 2:25 pm

Paddy - that would be just great.

We are actually flying over earlier than expected this year so that we can go see Bill Morrissey (another huge fave) on the 28th. All I need is a Mark Erelli concert on the 1st or 2nd and I'd be in my element!!!

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Mar 23, 2007 8:42 am

John Gorka's new website has just been launched. I've just been there and wanted to let folks know that John reveals an interesting new project that will ultimately be a 19 song DVD. Recorded live in LA.... sans audience.

YEEHAH!

Here's the link:

http://www.johngorka.com/
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Apr 15, 2007 8:33 am

John Gorka is performing tonight at Club Passim.

Two shows...6pm and 9pm

Hope the current storm system (nor-easter) clears in time for folks with plans to attend these shows. If you can post a report of the show, that'd be great.

Also of note - John's new website has a jukebox that launches when you visit the site, allowing one to listen to tunes old and new, whilst browsing.

http://www.johngorka.com
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Apr 21, 2007 11:35 pm

Wanted to share this....it's from blogcritics online magazine. It's worth noting Mr. Iovino fell hard for Land Of the Bottom Line, as did many longtime fans, including Ellis. You can find a link to purchase the CD right here on Ellis Paul's website. Start by Clicking on LINKS in the blue margin at your left. You will see the link to Ellis' CD Recommendations Shop. Click on the link to see what Ellis has to say about John Gorka and this record.

Gorka & Goellner
Written by Tony Iovino
Published February 12, 2005

A few disclaimers.

First, I've never written a review before. So I apologize for my lack of imaginative adjectives, metaphors and similes. This is much more difficult than writing about politics or sports.

Second, I am a life-long, shameless, unabashed car singer, with neither the ability to carry a tune nor to keep a beat. If you have ever driven beside or behind me, you may have thought you were watching someone having a fit. Or a lunatic.

You were.

Cell phone technology has helped-- when traffic is crawling I can at least pretend that I'm talking to the earpiece. But, I'm not. I'm singing. Badly, but with verve.

So I've always had an affinity to songs with... how can I say this? Oh, yeah-- Intelligent lyrics.

Back in the '80s there was a head shop/music store on my drive home. Little place, Grateful Dead mecca-- need the June 6, 1972 concert in Akron? They got the tape. That kind of place. Ever see "High Fidelity" with John Cusack and Jack Black? Not that classy.

But the owner, and the hangers-on, when not incredibly high, or maybe because they were incredibly high, gave great recommendations. Now, back then I was listening to a lot of country, a holdover of my addiction to "The Johnny Cash Show", and the fact that, yes, in the heyday of Led Zeppelin, I knew all the words to every Jim Croce & John Denver song.

Well, this place didn't sell too much of that genre. But, very fortunately for me, they sold a lot of folk. To get me started, the head Dead Head sold me a tape (yes, very much pre-CD) of A Collection of New Folk Music, put out by Windham Hills records.

Bingo! One great song after another. Some beautiful. Some weird.

But one artist jumped out at me-- John Gorka. A funny, poignant song entitled "I Saw A Stranger With Your Hair", about a guy seeing glimpses of the one he lost in the people he passes in the crowds. I was intrigued.

Back to my Dead Head guys, and home with a tape of Gorka's just-released second album "Land of the Bottom Line".

In pops the cassette, out pops the first line of the first song:

"I couldn't bribe a wino, on what I used to make."

Hooked. I was hooked. What followed was the funniest, most intelligent, most hit-me-where I lived music I'd ever heard. Songs about getting a car stolen, about old boxers, Italian girls, about pigs going to a prom (you have to hear it), about uncertainty, about gentrification, about loss & healing:

"This sudden loneliness has made me dangerous,
Please don't watch me while I fall apart.
Cause I'm sad and I'm angry,
And armed with a broken heart."

Songs of love and loss, though not sappy and clingy-- guy songs. Songs with style and power and humor. In later records, songs about the suburbs growing out, divorce, the blessings of a new child, aging not-so-gracefully.

I feel like I'm growing old with his music. Truth be told, it's not a bad companion.

He's put out 9 records. I have 8 of them, ( a few are still in cassette form.)

Though a loyal fan for 16 years, I'd never seen him live until Thursday. He didn't disappoint. He was gracious, funny, self-deprecating and above-all seemed to truly and honestly enjoy his work and his fans.

He captivated the audience, artfully segueing from songs that made you laugh, to ones that stilled the crowd with their meaningfulness, their power.

His voice is often the soundtrack in my head.

He has some music you can listen to on his web site. If you have a few minutes, take a shot.

Gorka's opening act was a young woman from Brooklyn, Nadine Goellner. Being somewhat obsessive, when I ordered the tickets for the show, and saw she was the opening act, I went to her website. I listened to the tracks she has there (as I urge you to do) and was very pleasantly surprised. So I invested a couple of bucks, and in a few days I had her second CD, "Sing It to Me Anyway" , in my mailbox, then in my player.

The first thing that hits you is the voice. It's powerful, clear, soulful, magnificent. She ranges across the spectrum, from crystal-perfect notes that soar, diving into scatty jazz-riffs. She hooks you in, with well-written acoustic-driven lyrics that show a passion, an intelligence that is consuming.

But the voice. You gotta hear it.

Gorka is my age. His concerns have often dovetailed with mine. It's hard to find that intersect with younger artists, who, rightfully & appropriately, write about their own lives.

Goellner's songs, though, often bridge that divide.

I'm a daddy who just let his 18 year old baby leave the nest to a college several states away. The song "Close To Me" hit close to home:

"I could love you less
Stand in your way
And only let you be
Half of who you ought to be
I could love you less
Stand in your way
But I won't
No I would never hold you that
Close to me."

On stage, she was engaging, and a delight. Her voice is even better in person than on the CD, a tribute given how many live performances suffer in the comparison to the quality of the sound in the studio.

After her set, Nadine chatted with her new fans. Gracious, engaging and personable.

I don't do this for a living, or even a passion. But it was a great night out, made special by two performers who seem to love what they are doing, and who seemed genuinely appreciative that a few hundred people braved a cold New York winter's night to come see and hear them. And they didn't disappoint.

I leave you with the lyrics from a John Gorka song, "Let Them In", that keeps playing in my head as I see the casualties from the Iraqi war:

"Let them in, Peter, they are very tired
Give them couches where the angels sleep and light those fires
Let them wake whole again, to brand new dawns
Fired with the sun, not wartime's bloody guns
May their peace be deep, remember where the broken bodies lie
God knows how young they were, to have to die
God knows how young they were, to have to die
Give them things they like, let them make some noise
Give roadhouse bands, not golden harps, to these our boys
And let them love, Peter, 'cause they've had no time
They should have trees and birds' songs and hills to climb
A taste of summer in a ripened pear
and girls sweet as meadow winds with flowing hair
Tell them how they are missed and say not to fear
It's gonna be alright with us down here"
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 11, 2007 9:42 pm

When I learned John Gorka was putting together a new DVD some time last year I knew I needed to keep my sights on the news that it was available for purchase. That day has arrived... :D I ordered my copy of it early this morning from the company that helped put it together and is releasing it.

I rec'd a confirmation today via email, and in it they advised that I had the choice of immediate delivery (they just rec'd shipment today!!!) or I could wait and have John sign my copy and then they'd ship it to me.

I glanced at John's tour schedule and knew that my response to AIX would be: By all means...send it asap!!! :D

John Gorka plays Godfrey Daniels Coffeehouse soon and I'll bring it along.

Here's a link to the website where it's offered for sale:

http://www.aixrecords.com/catalog/john_gorka.html
paddy

herve

Postby herve » Wed Sep 12, 2007 2:01 am

Gorka's "Writing in the Margins" will definitely be in my top 10 list for 2007.

Talking about Gorka self-depreciating, I urge you guys to find Pete Nelson's "The Restless Boys Club" CD (now on sale at $4.99 from Signature Sounds).

The song "Let's Get Some Beers" (and talk about failures) is worth much more than the price of admission, featuring john, Bill Morrissey, Greg Brown, Cliff Eberhart and Pete Nelson, plus Cormac McCarthy on harmonica. Each sing a verse and all join on the chorus. A must!

Listen to a sample here

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:16 pm

John Gorka's new DVD titled "The Gypsy Life" arrived yesterday and it is phenominal...worth every penny you'll spend on it. A great format to feature a fabulous artist. Love..Love..Love...the way it was put together.

John on stage, performing 19 songs, no audience. Joining John for these songs are Susan Werner on piano/guitar/vocals; Amelia K Spicer on Vocals; Michael Manring on fretless bass; plus John's long time friend and fellow member of the band John formed while at Moravian College in Bethlehem, Pa. ~~ Razzy Dazzy Spasm Band ~~ On Mandolin and his name is not coming to me right now....

Lots of behind the scenes stuff...bio stuff..3 MTV styles videos from years past... a live performance from McCabe's in Santa Monica, Ca. (of note one of the most intense versions of What was that? (that i just said) and just overall a nice look at the artistry of the amazing John Gorka.

Here's hoping Ellis Paul hooks up with these folks (AIX) and does something very similar to this. It's got all kinds of bonus stuff I haven't even got to. I can tell you that it comes with 4 discs. Actually 2 discs with stuff on both sides...Great stuff...check it out....a real intimate look at his life and times.... 8)
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Sep 27, 2007 4:13 pm

I only recently heard Ellis tell the crowd Last Call was written after being out on the town with John Gorka!! I have one CD of John's but just never got into to much, maybe I'll give it a new listen.

Enjoy your new CDS Paddy.
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:53 pm

Thanks, Patti...actually The new John Gorka Package set is Hi Definition DVD stuff...so it's a little movie really...of a live performance... sans audience..... plus loads of bonus material as mentioned above.

It's always interesting to me how some folks can go for a sound and others can take it or leave it...happens with me, too, all the time. i think it's right place, right time, really. Where you are in your life, or where you have been in your life and if the stars align and the song/sound/vibe strikes a chord I think you are often hooked for life.

Safe to say that if you were a guy going through a rough breakup, and happened upon John's 2nd LP..Land of the Bottom Line (Ellis recommends this one) and hear the song Armed With A Broken Heart and countless other great songs on the record......you might just find yourself hooked.

Hope your second time around's a charm.... :)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Nov 27, 2007 10:56 pm

Here's a link to some Gorka rarities linked through John's website. I'm loving a song called "Geza's Wailing Ways." He reminds me of Francis in the song "The Sentinel" in the best way. :D

http://between5and7.tripod.com/Geza.htm
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Sat Dec 01, 2007 11:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Dec 01, 2007 10:55 am

Here's The Gypsy Life DVD Trailer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YGUYXFtOGnY

I've watched this DVD over and over and over and love it.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:23 pm

Here's John Gorka performing a Woody Guthrie song -- Highway of Life.

John was asked by Nora Guthrie to set one of Woody's songs to music.

He chose this one....and here is John debuting it live, one week before a Woody Guthrie tribute show to follow at World Cafe Live in Philly.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-gD5ZobMEE
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jan 28, 2008 1:09 pm

I'm happy to report that JG is confirmed for this year's Woody Fest. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jan 29, 2008 7:27 pm

Excited to be holding tickets to see JG this Friday at Tin Angel in Philly.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Feb 02, 2008 11:22 pm

Tin Angel in Philly
Feb.01, 2008

early show

1. Outside
2. I'm from New Jersey
3. Snow Don't Fall (Townes Van Zandt)
4. Land of The Bottom Line
5. The Sentinel -- Francis called me Joe, but that is not my name :cry:
6. Writing in the Margins
7. Let Them In -- on piano (moved an audience member to tears)
8. Winter Cows
9. Heart Upon Demand
10. Body Parts Medley
11. I saw a stranger with you hair
12. Like My Watch
13. Where the Bottles Break
14. Mean Streak
15. Night is a woman (on piano)
16. Chance of rain
17. When you sing
18. Love is our cross to bear
19. If not now (encore - singalong)

late show

1. What was that? (that i just said)
2. Silence -- preshow request -- :wink:
3. Trouble in mind
4. Blues Palace
5. Flying red horse -- JG's version of "Freebird"
6. Let Them in (on piano)
7. Branching out
8. Dogs and Thunder
9. I'm from New Jersey
10. Edgar the party man - an amazing/animated/intense version.
11. People my age
12. Houses in the field (on piano)
13. Body Parts Medley
14. I Heard The Bell (xmas song -- adapted?)
15. I Saw a Stranger with your hair
16. Part of your own - John tells the audience his mom just turned 90.
17. Lightening's Blues
18. Love is our cross to bear
19. No Monument (encore)
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:38 am

Always a treat to see John Gorka in concert.

John was in fine form and ever accomodating as the flurry of requests flew from the capacity Tin Angel audience(s). I can tell you that hearing "The Sentinel" both surprised and brought tears and chills the way it had years ago.

A moving version of "Let Them In" on piano in the early show seemed too much for one audience member up front. He sprang up from his seat in tears and in need of a moment to himself. One can only imagine why.

Lucky enough to have John pass by at the break, and was able to chat long enough to tell him: we enjoyed the early show - that I thought his new DVD "The Gypsy Life" turned out great - and his latest promo photos with furniture we're cracking me up. If he would, play "Silence" in the late show, for my wife. It's one of her faves, and in the car after the show she told me she thinks it contains one of John's best lines ever: "nothing beat in my hopeless chest."

The difference between 2 shows in one night is never more evident than at a John Gorka show. While he was really good early, he was GREAT, late. I think it's a case of him being more relaxed after a break of sorts. It shows when he returns. My advice is see both shows if you can....or the late show if you have to choose. We always compare early vs. late shows and late always wins!!!

John spoke briefly about his latest project, the new DVD "The Gypsy Life" and I do mean briefly. He seemed unwilling to say much about it, saying that he felt talking about it too much might diminish it, somehow. He added shyly, with his head down, that he is really proud of it.

Rightfully so!!! :wink:

John thanked the crowd for coming out, saying that he realized that many of us probably woke up much earlier than he did today. He mentioned that he normally plays and travels with a Martin guitar but that an airline had damaged it -- and although he was able to get it repaired -- that it's been too cold to ship it back to Minnesota -- adding that it was "stupid cold" there right now.

Though John ended each show with a different song, each of them let you know where his thoughts are as it pertains to "what's going on" on the planet these days. "If Not Now" is a four line singalong, simple, yet powerful. "No Monument" equally so, for it allows one the chance to imagine a world where there are no monuments because we live in a world where there are no wars.

If Not Now

If not us, not them
If not now, then when
If not here, or there
If not this world, then where?

8)
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:20 pm

Thanks for the reports Paddy.

He's a gem and whilst its been a few years since we last saw John Gorka in concert (he hasn't been doing any long tours/trips abroad) we are going to be seeing him in the summer in the US and are just so loking forward to that.

Great set lists.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 13, 2008 7:53 pm

This youtube video is a moving look at the war in Iraq and the price paid. It is a slideshow of photos set to John Gorka's song "Road of Good Intentions."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SFovk67u0-U
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:02 pm

I was sort of 'on the fence' with John Gorka's music, until I saw him live!!

Now I just love him!! He's a talented, quirky, FUNNY guy!!

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:34 am

Here's John Gorka at Club Passim in a 5 song medley via youtube.... 8)

Mean Streak
Silence
If I Could Forget to Breathe
Body Parts Medley
3 little birds

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U12yc4Elc_s

Here's John Gorka at Gravity Lounge in Charlotttesvile, Va.

Land of the Bottom Line

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x1iZYqR8uGA
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Apr 26, 2008 8:59 am

He's from New Jersey......and performing a benefit concert for a church in the town where he was born (so Beatle-esque) Colonia, NJ. very soon.

How's tomorrow???

Apr 27, 2008
Sunday 4:00 PM St. John Vianney Church..732-283-0126 Colonia, NJ
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jun 22, 2008 6:54 am

John Gorka is playing WoodyFest!

:D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Re: John Gorka

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jul 29, 2008 1:42 pm

Just learned over on John Gorka's fan forum that he just celebrated his 50th..... :D

The fan that posted had this to say:

No way that guy sitting, playing his guitar, on the cover of 'I Know', is 50!!
Happy Birthday John!

Indeed! :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Aug 10, 2008 6:36 pm

John Gorka had this to say some time back on the front page of his website:

Hello there,

I just wanted you to know that Mavis Staples new cd We’ll Never Turn Back is now out and it is really something special. It was produced by Ry Cooder and features classic Freedom Songs from the civil rights movement and new songs written by Ms. Staples and Mr. Cooder. It is not only a search for hope. It is the sound of hope itself.

All for now,

John G.

I finally heard this CD today in the car and wholeheartedly agree! 8)
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:06 pm

John Gorka from The Artist's Profile video which is most excellent! 8)

The Flying Red Horse
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uFTdVPlP_G0

Paradise, Once
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj6Y4h-r8Hs
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Nov 02, 2008 10:50 am

John Gorka in the Netherlands.

John Gorka Videosite
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:14 am

John at Club Passim

If I Could Forget to Breathe
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:40 pm

Power to the people my age!!! :lol:

This guy took to posting on youtube the first John Gorka song he ever heard! 8)

love...love...love his defiant nature! 8)

Enjoy this song by John Gorka (audio only)

Outside
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:18 pm

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
John Gorka's Newsletter
One more attempt
April 2009
(appears older than photo)

Dear Reader and Listener,

I hope this little update finds you well. Below you will find a list of upcoming shows and some musical news. I am just about done with the new cd. The last recorded bit arrived this morning. Most of the recording was done here in Minnesota but a few guest artists did their parts close to their homes and emailed them here. All but one song has been mixed. The working title is still "Illusion of Control". There is no song with that title or that phrase in it but I think it reflects the recording process, my life as well as the times we are living in. We all seem to be at the mercy of larger forces.

The featured vocalists are my longtime friend and collaborator Lucy Kaplansky, Eliza Gilkyson for the first time, and Joel Sayles, who also plays upright bass on the project. Peter Ostroushko and Dean Magraw return to grace this batch of songs as well as Dirk Freymuth, Enrique Toussaint, Jeff Victor, and Marc Anderson. Dan Chouinard appears for the first time on accordian on 2 songs. Michael Manring returns to play bass on my first recorded instrumental. The arrangements are built around my vocal and guitar parts so it sounds more like I do when I play live and solo (which is most of the time). Well, I'll stop there since this thing isn't quite finished and I don't know what the final form will be.

Thanks to all of you who have come out to the shows and ordered things from the johngorka.com website. You keep me going. Thanks also to you who listen but can't come to shows because I don't come close enough or because your circumstances don't permit. I know you are out there and I am grateful for your presense.

The list of shows is below. It begins in Ohio this weekend with Susan Werner on Friday and Cheryl Wheeler on Saturday. Performances with both often lead to unpredictable fun...

UPCOMING SHOWS

Apr 17, 2009 Western Reserve Folk Association Kent, OH
8:00 pm Western Reserve Folk Association
The Kent Stage
175 E. Main St.
Kent, OH
330-677-5005 ..appearing with Susan Werner and her band !!

Apr 18, 2009 Columbus Performing Arts Center Columbus, OH
8:00 pm Six String Concerts
Columbus Performing Arts Center
549 Franklin Avenue
Columbus, OH
614-470-folk ..performing with Cheryl Wheeler !!

Apr 19, 2009 Callahan's Auburn Hills, MI
7:30 pm Callahan's
2105 South Blvd.
Auburn Hills, MI
248-858-9508

Apr 25, 2009 Infinity Hall Norfolk, CT
7:30 pm Infinity Hall
20 W. Greenwoods Rd
Rte. 44
Norfolk, CT
860-675-3212

May 7, 2009 Bay Theatre Sutton's Bay, MI
time: TBA Connemara Concerts
Bay Theatre
216 N. St. Joseph
Sutton's Bay, MI
231-941-8667

May 8, 2009 Unitarian Universalist Church East Lansing, MI
8:00 pm Ten Pound Fiddle Coffeehouse
Unitarian Universalist Church
855 Grove St.
East Lansing, MI
517-337-7744 ..performing with Susan Werner !!

May 9, 2009 Unitarian Church of Hinsdale Hinsdale, IL
8:00 pm Acoustic Renaissance Series
Unitarian Church of Hinsdale
17 West Maple Street
Hinsdale, IL
708-802-0236

May 14, 2009 Blue Rock Studio Wimberley, TX
7:30 pm Blue Rock Studio
Wimberley, TX
e-mail only..inf

May 15, 2009 Dosey Doe Coffeehouse The Woodlands, TX
8:30 pm Dosey Doe Coffeehouse
25911-45 North
The Woodlands, TX
281-367-3774

May 16, 2009 Crossroads Coffeehouse & Music Co. Winnsboro, TX
7:30 pm Crossroads Coffeehouse & Music Co.
216 Main St.
Winnsboro, TX
903-342-1854

May 17, 2009 Wildflower Arts & Music Festival Richardson, TX
time: TBA Wildflower Arts & Music festival
Wildflower Arts & Music Festival
Greenway Office Park
US 75 & Campbell Rd.
Richardson, TX
972-235-1539

May 28, 2009 Errigle Inn Belfast, Northern Ireland !!
time: TBA Errigle Inn
Belfast, Northern Ireland

May 29, 2009 Bronte Music Club Rathfriland, Northern Ireland !!
time: TBA Bronte Music Club
Rathfriland, Northern Ireland

May 30, 2009 The Naked Song Festival Eindhoven, Holland!!
time: TBA The Naked Song Festival
Eindhoven, Holland

May 31, 2009 Private Party The Hague, Holland
time: TBA Private Party
The Hague, Holland

Jun 5, 2009 All Souls UU Church New London, CT
8:00 pm Friday Night Folk
All Souls UU Church
19 Jay Street
New London, CT
860-447-9580

Jun 6, 2009 Congregational Church of Huntington Centerport, NY
7:30 pm Folk Music Society of Huntington
Congregational Church of Huntington
30 Washington Dr.
Centerport, NY
631-425-2925

Jun 7, 2009 Appel Farm Arts & Music Center Elmer, NJ
2:00 pm Appel Farm Arts & Music Benefit
Appel Farm Arts & Music Center
457 Shirley Road
Elmer, NJ
800-394-1211

Quick Links...
You are already on the mailing list but others can sign up at:

www.johngorka.com (cut and paste please)

and also purchase autographed merchandise. In other news, my songbook "The John Gorka Guitar Collection" will be available again later this year. Also, my cd, "Jack's Crows" will also be available again soon. And finally, I started up with FaceBook in March and it is something I think I can understand. That's not all the news but it is what I can remember at the moment.
All the best,
John G.

Contact Information
Booking: David Tamulevich -- 734-622-8337
Record Company: Red House Records -- 651-644-4161
DVD Company: AIX Records -- 310-479-0501
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:29 am

John Gorka at Landhaven Bed and Breakfast in Barto, Pa.

There are nights when the stars shine and then there are nights when the stars shine. Tonight was just such a night and it had more to do with the star that took the stage tonight at Landhaven Bed and Breakfast than any of the ones high in the sky above this little gem of a music venue. It was just the kind of show you hope will happen every time you sign on for an evening with a favorite. We had it all going for us from the very start with John's love of craft on display as song after song came pouring out of John from the stage and the audience right along with him and eager to let him know just how it made them all feel. I've been around long enough to know that stars have to align for shows like tonight's to happen.

And to think I almost missed the launch. A late call to the venue and all but 4 tickets had been sold. Well by all means, Ed, put my name on two of them, please. We arrived early enough to get right up front and witnessed a side of John Gorka that you hope to catch a glimpse of each time out. And we got it from the moment he stood in front of the mike to the final encore note and bow. Don't want to ruffle the feathers of anyone who might have passed on his "Greatest Hits" for all the right reasons.....but tonight....was......Pure Gorka

Setlist:

I'm from NJ
Downtown Tonight
Like My Watch
The Lockkeeper (Stan Rogers)
Milltown (on piano)
Baby Blues
Talked about long ago open mikes at nearby Bally Hotel
Working in Corners (Nanci Griffith)
The Sentinel (request)
People My Age
Branching Out ( I'm gonna reach singalong was over the top)
Intermission
What Was That
Writing in the Margins
Let Them In (on piano)
Blue Chalk

Talked of October release of new one So Dark You See
Where No Monument Stands (a poem by William Stafford John set to music that will appear on the record and in a special titled Every War Has 2 Losers)

If I Could Forget to Breathe (email request but facebook request methinks :wink: )

Ignorance and Priviledge
Mean Streak
Love is Our Cross to Bear
When You Sing
Gypsy Life (request)
Italian Girls (encore request)

Thanks Ed and Donna Land of Landhaven B&B for the last minute booking of tonight's show and thank you John for the show you put on tonight to a room full of very lucky people, most of them right around my age. :wink:
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jul 25, 2009 1:56 pm

thanks for the nudge Paddy,.. I was having a hard time deciding what to put on my IPOD next.. John Gorka it is!!
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Return to “Looking for My Friends”