Diane Birch

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

Mtn Gal

Diane Birch

Postby Mtn Gal » Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:17 am

Well, I have found another gem and I can't stop listening to her! I happed upon Ms. Birch while catching up on Daryl Hall's internet program Live from Daryl's House (a find in and of itself...thanks Mary!) and was so intrigued by her mature and soulful voice despite being only in her 20s.

She has an interesting history and a beautiful website that says everything I could possibly think of to tell you about so rather than paraphrase, I will copy an excerpt for you:

Since she was seven, Birch had been studying piano via the learn-by-ear Suzuki Method and had cultivated the ability to replicate a melody upon hearing it. As she explains, “Ever since I was a kid, I have been incredibly fortunate in that I could hear something and then just play it.”

When she was old enough to live on her own, Birch moved to L.A., with the notion of becoming a film composer: To make ends meet, she quickly learned a standards repertoire and pursued work as pianist-for-hire, eventually landing regular gigs at the Beverly Hills Hotel and L’Orangerie. Prince once saw her play and invited her out to jam with him and his band at his home – an invitation she duly accepted.

Up until this point, Birch had always seen herself as a pianist and hadn’t tried to sing until a friend cajoled her into taking a class. In order to have something to perform there, Birch wrote an original song, which her new classmates immediately loved. So she wrote another for the next class, then another after that; thus she became a genuine singer-songwriter.

Thanks to material she began to post on her MySpace page, Birch heard from a manager based in London and before long was able to relocate there, where she soon had both regular gigs and a major publishing deal. It wasn’t long before Birch was on the move again, however, this time to ink a record deal with Steve Greenberg’s S Curve Records in New York, where she currently resides.

As for the album title, “The idea of Bible Belt has a layered kind of meaning for me,” explains Diane. “Because my dad was a preacher, the very religious upbringing I had made a huge impact on my life, in a very restraining and constricting way. I’m constantly talking about heaven, angels, and forgiveness. I’m hugely inspired by church hymns -- their chord structures, their colors. It was a form of constraint for me as a child but now I see that it has fueled my creative fire.”
Over the course of Bible Belt’s thirteen songs Diane Birch has served up her own portrait of American music in all its breadth and majesty, touching down on Beale Street, Bourbon Street, Tin Pan Alley, Laurel Canyon, South Philly, Brooklyn street corners and many points in between.

Here's a youtube clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRZC4G1o ... re=related

I'm ordering her CD today and can't wait to hear it all the way through. :D
"Nobody can dim the light which shines from within." ~ Maya Angelou

Mtn Gal

Re: Diane Birch

Postby Mtn Gal » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:06 am

LA Times lists Diane Birch as a front-runner for Grammy Awards Best New Artist!

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/music_b ... art-1.html

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:27 pm

Update on Diane...she did not make the final cut for the Grammys after all but she is opening for Nick Jonas & the Administration. While not a JoBro fan (I'm way too old!), I think it's an honor to be the opening number for Nick's solo tour launch and it will get Diane great exposure in front of a new brand new audience. She really is amazing. If you haven't heard her yet, check her out on youtube or the links I posted. Would love to hear your thoughts. :D

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Jan 13, 2010 8:24 am

real nice sound.... quick listen has me thinking Carole King 8)
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Thu Jan 14, 2010 8:18 pm

I think so too, Patti. Thanks for checking her out!

Return to “Looking for My Friends”