Rob Laurens & Joe Davies Folk Festival

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

Patti

Rob Laurens & Joe Davies Folk Festival

Postby Patti » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:19 am

I am heading out the Soule Homestead, Joe Davies Folk Festival..(starts pretty early :shock: ) today. It is going to be a beautiful day.. anyway a few performers I am def. going to check out.. one in particular is Rob Laurens... I remember this name had a connection to Ellis and thought he all ready had a thread here.. (but I can't find it) so here it is.. a link to his website talks about the album Ellis produced (?) for him

http://www.roblaurens.net/

Ellis Paul did a great job putting together a fine cast of musicians for the band, as well as adding some of his own singing and playing to the songs.

$ 6.00 for lots of good music and fall fun... I am hosting RI Favorites Chris and Meredith Thompson next month and they are playing here today.. along with Ryan Fitzsimmons, another great local act.
Bill Staines.. today Brooks Williams tomorrow..along with others.. check it out.

http://www.soulehomestead.org/jdff.html
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Rob Laurens & Joe Davies Folk Festival

Postby KarenZ » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:41 am

Patti,

The Rob Laurens thread that you're remembering was probably on the previous board that got hacked. I know we talked about him a good bit. His The Honey on the Mountain that Ellis produced is one of my all-time faves. I remember BillE being blown away by it. Ellis plays trumpet on one or two tracks...and there's a hidden track of Rob and Ellis doing "Pretty Boy Floyd" that will knock your socks off. :) Rob was affiliated with Passim's school of music for a good while....although I don't think he's doing that any more. Find out if he has a new CD in the works! And tell him I said hello! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:31 am

Have fun Patti - line up includes Brooks Williams - you lucky lady - he is one fabulous guitarist!

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Sep 19, 2009 11:19 pm

Long day.. that line up started early.. and I did want to see the first few acts.. Ryan Fitzsimmons is name to be watching for..
It was a great beautiful day for an outside festival..
Rob Laurens sounded great.. He had Sean Staples on mandolin with him. (I've seen Sean with Antje before)...Said he had news songs for a CD was waiting for the art direction guy!!??
Karen I didn't see your message before I left.. (sorry) but I did tell him I thought it was a great set. I had to head out before Bill Staines started.. it was opening night for Stone SOup and had stuff to do for that. (hence no Mark) but no complaints here.. great day of music.. I am not able to go tomorrow, wish I could..
Another nice sounding act today was Austin and Elliot.. http://www.austinandelliott.com/.. Lorne Entrees has produced some music on their CD Duke Levin played... Small world this folk world is..I did take some videos and pictures will let you know if they came out okay...
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Return to “Looking for My Friends”