Mary Travers

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

care

Mary Travers

Postby care » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:55 pm

I wasn't sure where to post this- either in "Looking for My Friends" or "Music In the News" but i sorta felt it deserved its own heading.

It is with a heavy heavy heart I post this link. Mary Travers of the famed trio Peter, Paul and Mary has died tonight. When I was a littler girl I used to love to flip my hair back the way she did. My family and I have been to PPM shows every time they came to the Boston, MA area and were fortunate enough to see them in Worcester earlier this year before they canceled the remainder of their tour.

Mary Travers Of Peter, Paul And Mary Dies

Mary Travers of Peter, Paul and Mary Dies at 72

Patti

Re: Mary Travers

Postby Patti » Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:52 pm

I have vivid memories of my oldest sister playing their record and making me listen to them.. I should thank her for that some time.

The article mentions that Mary rec'd a bone marrow transplant a few years and that the quality of her life was great for a good amount of time after that. I am a volunteer of the National Marrow Donor Program , I help organize drives and I would encourage all of you to register. ( As Bonnie did Sunday at Slater Park :P ) You just never know who you may be helping..

http://www.marrow.org/ check it out.. it is so simple to sign up now.. I can mail anyone a kit to get them on them registry.
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:15 pm

when i think of peter paul and mary from my childhood, i don't think puff the magic dragon. nope-a-di-dope. i think i'm being swallowed by a boa constrictor. :mrgreen:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 21, 2009 8:32 am

WYEP had a nice tribute to Mary Travers yesterday morning. Ken Batista, host of An American Sampler, played the following Peter, Paul & Mary songs:

Leaving on a Jet Plane (Mary on lead)
If I Had a Hammer (Mary on lead)
Wasn't that a Time
House of the Rising Sun (with Odetta)
Pastures of Plenty
All Mixed Up

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Return to “Looking for My Friends”