Chris Trapper

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

Mtn Gal

Chris Trapper

Postby Mtn Gal » Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:49 am

Saw him for the first time when he opened for Ellis at the Grey Eagle in Asheville last week and thoroughly enjoyed him. He has a great quirky sense of humor, a wonderful voice reminiscent of Buddy Holly/Huey Lewis (IMO) and is quite the songwriter. He happens to be easy on the eyes too. Oh and he plays a mean ukelele as annieb said in another post! I picked up one of his CDs that he recorded in 2005 with a jazz band and I just LOVE it! Any other Trap fans here?
"Nobody can dim the light which shines from within." ~ Maya Angelou

barb62

Re: Chris Trapper

Postby barb62 » Sun Sep 06, 2009 11:06 am

HELLO FELLOW CHRIS TRAPPER FAN!

I discovered Chris Trapper a few months ago and I'm a major fan - I think I have all of his CDs and the Push Stars CDs - he is fabulous. I could go on and on... did I mention his grammy-nominated song "This Time" from the movie AUGUST RUSH? Rob Thomas of Matchbox 20 loves Chris - The Push Stars actually opened up for Matchbox 20 a few years back - if you go to YOU TUBE, you'll see Chris singing with Rob Thomas.

Chris's style is addictive and I absoulety love all the types of music he does.

The biggest news of all is that I booked Chris for my house concert series, Jammin' Jules House Concerts, on March 27th, 2010. If you live anywhere near South NJ or Philadelphia area, we would love to have you attend or anyone else who is interested.

It killed me not to see Chris with Ellis - but it was just too far away - probably 10 hours or more.

Chris also had his songs on television shows (All My Children just a few weeks ago) and many movies. Like Ellis, Chris should be a mega star - the talent here is endless!

sincerely, barb 62

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Mon Sep 07, 2009 10:28 pm

Hi Barb 62!

Thanks for responding! Very cool about your house concert series. I'm not close enough to attend but paddyinthepub is more in the vicinity and I'll bet he'd love Chris!

Also very cool about Rob Thomas loving Chris too. I adore Rob and his current single Her Diamonds is way at the top of my list of favorite songs.

I'm really enjoying my new CD and learning more about him. It's always exciting to find these gems along the way!

Peace,
Kim

barb62

Postby barb62 » Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:09 pm

Hey Kim,

If you get a chance, get Chris's CD - "Till The Last Leaf Falls" - this is his newest CD - I love the one you have as well. Paddy is already planning on attending in March and he is also coming to my house concert the end of this month. If you have a chance, check out the discussion "Gathering Time" discussion below - Paddy and I wrote it - it was our last house concert in July and has some pretty cool videos from that night.

I'll be a Chris Trapper fan forever!

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:07 pm

I should've known Paddy was already on board! I'll definitely pick up Chris's new CD. Wish I were going to be in the area for the house concert ~ sounds like fun and enjoyed the video I watched of a previous one. You've got great taste in music! :)

mm

Postby mm » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:30 pm

I can't believe I'm just seeing this post now....I'm a monster Chris Trapper fan and he's a cherished friend. Phenomenal talent, lyrics that can sucker punch you, great songwriter, rocker with the Pushstars. His cd "Songs From the Middle of the World" was one of my most listened to and loved cd's of the entire past year....it's fantastic and moving. Terrific guy, and I'm honored to have filmed him a couple times for my show. Here's a clip that still is one of my absolute favorites from all the shows I've filmed (this is from '05): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug1Zub75WAM

Recently filmed Chris but it's not edited yet. I'll post when it is.

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Wed Sep 09, 2009 8:30 am

Great clip Monica! I love his candor and honesty. He has such a gift. And you have one of the BEST jobs in the world! Thanks for sharing and I look forward to seeing your next film. :D

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Sep 09, 2009 9:35 am

Thanks Monica! Wonderful clip! I hate hearing that Chris got picked on in school! :cry: But so glad that he picked up the guitar to help himself feel better. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

barb62

Postby barb62 » Thu Sep 17, 2009 10:14 am

Yes, great clip Monica! I also love the clip "My All-time Favorite" - love that song! I can't wait to see Chris at the Tin Angel in Philadelphia on Oct 24th! He was also gracious enough to agree to perform at my house on my birthday next March - this will be our biggest show to date for Jammin' Jules House Concerts! Of course, I hope he performs the Birthday Song just for me! Sometimes one just has to be a bit greedy - LOL!

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:12 pm

LOL! Sounds like you've earned the Birthday Song! :D

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Sep 18, 2009 2:46 pm

i love the pushstars' songs boston girls and keg on my coffin. :mrgreen:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

barb62

Postby barb62 » Fri Oct 30, 2009 11:40 am

Chris Trapper - that name is magical to me - saw Chris at the Tin Angel on Oct 24th 2009 for the first time. Words can't describe the incredible person, performer, song writer he is. I'm captured by Chris and will be a devoted fan for the rest of my life.

It was a real pleasure turning Paddy and his lovely wife into life long fans as well. Life is good!

To quote Paddy, "Help! I'm trapped - don't send help - Chris's CDs haven't stopped playing since we saw him."

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Oct 30, 2009 12:03 pm

It's true ~ we're caught in a trap....

Loved Chris Trapper that night and the 2 CDs we picked up that night have indeed been playing nonstop here in the house and car all week long. He had so many to choose from we decided upon the newest release and the solo acoustic one.

I love it when an artist new to me grabs hold and won't let go

Hey Barb, thanks so much for the nudge on the show at Tin Angel I don't know how many times I looked at the date and thought gee I dunno maybe we'll go maybe we'll catch him next time around and at the least when he comes to play at your Jammin Jules House Concert on your birthday.

We made the right call! Chris was amazing at Tin Angel. Thanks to you and Mike we had seats right up front and got to witness one of the best around up close and personal. WOW. Pam's really the best judge of new to us artists and she was SOLD like 2 songs in and away we go! 8) Thanks again! :wink:

Just learned on Facebook that our friend Monica Mansfield will be on air this Saturday night from 1-3a with a number of guests that she has featured on her mostlyrocknroll show over the years and the name that JUMPS OUT at me right now is her good friend Chris Trapper ~ some guests will phone in and some will be there in the wbz studios with Monica and show host Jordan Rich ~ I'll be listening in!

Tune in to WBZ AM Radio in Boston this Saturday Night from 1-3a or stream it live from anywhere in the world.....

WBZ AM RADIO

I think Ellis Paul may be phoning in too after his Passim show!
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:41 pm

Not sure I can stay up that late but Lord knows I'll try! Thanks for the tidbit, Paddy. You're a wealth of information!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Oct 30, 2009 2:59 pm

my pleasure mtngal ~ it's late but I'll be up watchin the world series so I'll just brew another cup and settle in for monica's show ~ she's really good on the radio and I kid her she could give up the day job...
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:18 pm

Just tuned in to WUMB right now and Chris Trapper is playing.. Black Hearted Bride

I don't know if this selection is because of his place in the countdown or just serendipity 8)
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Nov 18, 2009 12:30 pm

i think i might just have to see him the next time he plays locally. :P

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Sat Nov 21, 2009 11:40 pm

If you've not seen him yet, Bonnie, you definitely should. He's really good! :D

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 07, 2009 2:22 pm

If this isn't Chris Trapper on this Kentucky Grilled Chicken commercial, I'll eat my hat! :)

Click HERE then click where it says "watch the (TV) spots".

He appears twice and it's mighty quick so don't blink, but he's the guy who says "two pieces", right? Am I delirious? :shock:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:30 pm

How do like your Stetson, Ms. Kitty?

nope a dee dope

:P
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:34 pm

Nope a dee dope that I'm not delirious? Or nope a dee dope that it's not him?

It's him!!!! :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:46 pm

Close but no cigar I'm afraid

May I suggest a Mexican Hat pairing with that meal?

Silvertown with Gillermo Izquierdo
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:48 pm

We need Patti or MonicaM to be the determining vote. And I am unanimous in that! :D

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 07, 2009 5:21 pm

I'm a majority of one here and I know beyond the shadow cast by Hoss Cartwright's ten gallon hat that that's not Chris Trapper in that tv ad.

Hat case closed :P
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:42 pm

Mtn Gal, barb62, I need you! :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 07, 2009 6:50 pm

paddy

barb62

Postby barb62 » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:37 pm

Karen,

Paddy let me know you needed my help - I watched the KFC commercial 3 times - have to say, it does look ALOT like the magnificient Mr. Trapper but it isn't. I can see why you thought it was him. Sorry but I think you'll have to eat your hat - LOL!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:40 pm

I am still convinced that it's Chris! I mean, it's even his voice! :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 07, 2009 8:28 pm

paddy

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:38 pm

I received word from paddy, too, that my expert KFC commercial deciphering skills were needed and although I really, really, really wanted that guy to be Chris for the sake of his wallet and all that free food, I also don't think it's him. He looks a lot like him but it's not him. FWIW Karen, I don't think you should eat your hat. You're likely to need it this time of year! :wink:

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:41 pm

Um, one more thing....just curious to know why you're watching KFC commercials online! :D

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 07, 2009 10:56 pm

I wasn't going to ask that question but I'm sure going to keep a keen eye out for the answer.... :P I notice not many of us are singing the praises of the product Chris Trapper IS NOT selling in tv ads

I stopped eating KFC before they became KGC.... :roll:

Thanks for the fun today all, it was finger clicking good!!!
paddy

mm

Postby mm » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:06 pm

Karen, I don't think that's Chris, but a really good guess! Thanks for being the attention payer.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:11 pm

I think that's the guy that's been going around impersonating amazing singer songwriters like he's the Rich Little of our day or something. Just wait till ya see his impersonation of Flynn and Ellis and Bob and Bill and Adam and Matt and Sam and Jimmy and Mark and Chuckie and Willy and Jeffrey and Don and whew!!, that guy is good!!! :D

I leave anybody out?

Oh wait....and Slaid and Woody and Bruce and Richard, how could I forget Richard? Are you happy now? Are You happy Now? Are you happy now? I am listening to that one right now and well, I am.

:D
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:29 am

Well It certainly does look like him,, I'll have to ask him when he plays at my house concert on January 2nd :P :P Darn if we could just see if he was wearing Kangaroo shoes, we might be able to figure it out!!

PS If it is him, I know what we're having at the potluck!!

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Dec 08, 2009 12:56 am

that is absolutely not chris trapper of the push stars. i'd say close enough to be a cousin. or maybe if he and ralph fiennes had a son? :P

i can't wait to see him in patti's basement. all you local folks should join us. and i know barb isn't afraid of a little road trip. :mrgreen:

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Dec 08, 2009 1:24 am

r u goadmin me bonnaroo? u tellin me barb's boston baked bean and basement bound for chris trapper and i'm not ~ well, if the kangaroo shoes fit! :lol:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:10 am

Patti,

I'm counting on you to get to the bottom of this on Jan. 2! Until then, I shall not waiver! :)

KarenZ

Patti wrote:Well It certainly does look like him,, I'll have to ask him when he plays at my house concert on January 2nd

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:02 am

What a way to start a new year ~ invite a rock star into your home for a party then corner him for an hour or two to sing for his supper and then accuse him of being a 2 piece sayin kfc payin pitch perfect pitchman for a kentucky colonel. Is that what were lookin at here?
paddy

barb62

Postby barb62 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:21 am

I would love to attend the show on Jan 2nd - but we'll be at sea heading back from the Bahama's on a cruise ship. We don't get home until the 3rd.

If I can find Chris's agent's email, I'm going to ask her directly about the commercial to set Karen's mind at ease. I'll keep you guys posted!

Paddy, you are so comical - love your replys!

barb

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:35 am

Oh Barb, that's above and beyond...rock on!

Glad you enjoyed my fowl remarks I can assure my brain is as not fried as the grilled chicken Chris Trapper ain't sellin here. KFC sometimes smells like six degrees of bacon and and while a commerical like that would give Chris Trapper a lot more inner and outer space I'm just sayin here that he ain't even steven hawkin that bird no longer talkin....
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:10 am

i am positive it is not him. so sure in fact, that i will bet karen a bucket of extra crispy. :wink:

mm

Postby mm » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:42 pm

I was in touch with Chris and it's not him, though he thinks "they're using my image and likeness without asking me"....ha! Thanks Chris for settling that! Chris is much more handsome than that other guy anyhow....that's how I knew. Karen, you get the Most Observant Look-a-Like Spotter Award...(and I can't wait to see you soon!)

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:08 am

I tawt I taw a paddy cat ~ I did I did

:shock:

:lol:

M.O.L.A.L.S.A. is born
paddy

barb62

Postby barb62 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:22 pm

To ALL -

I know MM confirmed it wasn't Chris on the KFC Commercial - but I have to add Chris's comment - I contacted Chris's agent and Mr. Trapper did indeed respond - and here it is:

"No but I just looked at it, and the resemblance is frightening, even to me. It's like they used my image without asking permission. :)"

"And what's upsetting is that I'm realizing the KFC guy is no Brad Pitt..."

So this is it folks - in Chris's own words! Karen, maybe you can buy a candy hat to eat! LOL!

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:46 pm

Just been listening to some Chris Trapper this rainy Sunday.... he really has a jazzy dixie land sound to some of his songs :D but I am curious and excited to hear how they play out with just a guitar and ukeulee...

Next Saturday at Patti's Place House Concerts :P

Can't wait to see some of you here.. :P

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Jan 04, 2010 8:30 am

Just a quick post to say how much we both enjoyed Chris Trapper at Patti's Place on 2nd January. He was a new name to us so we didn't know what to expect - preferred his serious songs to the funnies. Looking forward to giving the CD I bought some plays when I get home.

Can anyone help out by posting a set list? Monica M? It doesn't have to be in order but because I'm not familiar with his music I'd like to know what the song titles were.

Chatting to him afterwards I found out that he'd recently played in Scotland (early December) and Germany where he played in front of huge crowds - what a treat to see someone of his standing in such an intimate venue - don't you just love house concerts?

Thanks Patti for hosting him and Monica for helping organise the booking. Will definitely go see him if/when he makes his next trip over to our side of the pond.

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:48 am

I didn't keep a set list..dang I should have....

I will post a few videos to youtube within a few days..

Lets see he started with a Christmas Song.. ended with the Birthday Song... 2 songs from his time with Great Big Sea in between..I don;t recall their titles.

I don't know all the titles or the songs that he played

but I think these would be the serious ones. Any little Town,** This Time, Happy Where I Am, Starlight

Keg On My Coffin, Cool In School, ( even the not so serious songs send a good a message. and especially when you know the stories behind the song it gives a real sincerity to them.

Monica has a great version of Any Little Town on You Tube....

and the Birthday Song is on youtube too... :D l:

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:43 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ug1Zub75WAM

Any Little Town.. from Mostly RocknRoll.... love this song..

sounds so crisp and clear...

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:46 am

Just remembered he played Boston Girl.. the song written for the Red Sox Appeal show...

I think he did Millioniare too... I know it is going to come in bits and pieces... He played one song on Ukeulee...

Return to “Looking for My Friends”