Gathering Time

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

barb62

Gathering Time

Postby barb62 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:09 pm

I had the pleasure of hosting our 2nd Jammin' Jules House Concert yesterday on July 12th. Harmony trio, "Gathering Time" features singers Stuart Markus, Glen Roethel, and Hilary Foxsong. Glen is actually friends with Ellis and he is mentioned on one of Glen's CDs. "Gathering Time" hails from New York - if you ever have the chance to go see their show - please do so. They are exceptional. Their website is: http://www.gatheringtimetrio.com/

I was also very elated that our own Paddy in the Pub showed up - I'll let him speak for himself. "Gathering Time" performed out by our pool - their music was tremendous and everyone had an awesome time. Great music, friends, food, and weather - what more could I ask for????

paddyinthepub

Re: Gathering Time

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Jul 13, 2009 3:45 pm

The Jammin Jules House Concert series is off and running and although I missed the first one I was there for last night and have their next scheduled one in sight. Barb's husband Mike does a wonderful job as emcee and he along with Barb and their entire family graciously welcomed folks into their home for potluck followed by a you got to see it to believe it backyard setting with stage poolside allowing ample sightlines to performers and yesterday, wide open blue sky.

Suppose it's fitting that the most memorable early video of CSN&Y has them poolside (anyone remember that one?) and that Gathering Time is being hailed as Peter Paul and Mary meets Crosby Stills & Nash. It was a perfect night for the trio's gorgeous originals and covers featuring pitch perfect voices in harmony above talented finger picking and strumming of acoustic guitars by Glen and Stu ("Peter" and "Paul") right beside the percussion playing egg shaking Hilalry ("Mary")

Their covers were over the top with songs like Blackbird by The Beatles (or maybe CSN's version) and Jesse Colin Young's "C'mon people now, smile on your brother everybody get together try to love one another right now" to the amazingly spot on cover of Suite Judy Blue Eyes by the aforementioned CSN. The homage is amazing right up to Glen singing the Steve Stills part with latin or spanish vocal riffs.

Gathering Time - I think I get the name of the band, now! WOW! They will be back at Jammin Jules I'm told, and in the Philly area soon enough! They hail from Long Island, NY and will be up at Falcon Ridge next month showcasing their unique musical comraderie that only friends, and sometimes family, can share!

A real sense of serendipity hit me time and again last night! Thanks to Gathering Time and a little House Concert Series that would, and could, and did!

Thanks Barb and Mike and Co.

Jammin Jules House Concert Rules!!!

Lastly, this concert was lovingly dedicated to Barb's mom who died a week ago, Sunday. Barb's husband Mike made the dedication in his introduction and said that she had made the first concert they'd held a short while back and really enjoyed it. That knowing her she would want the show to go on as planned, and how the family was sure she was up there watching down on what was taking place tonight.

I want to add that Barb is easily one of the nicest people you will ever want to meet and if her Mom had anything to do with that, and I'm sure she did, she must have been quite the mom. I'm sorry for your loss, Barb, and I find comfort in your knowing that she's in a better place now with your dad and watching over you all. Amazing grace was all around, yesterday. Thanks for sharing that, and your love of music.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

barb62

Postby barb62 » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:30 pm

Thank you Pat for all the wonderful comments - it comes natural to be nice to fellow music lovers - there is nothing I enjoy more than to opening my home for an enjoyable concert. I would have to say that this had to be one of the most enjoyable times in my new home. From the moment it started, I knew it was going to be memorable.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:25 am

This is hopefully the first of many to come... :wink:

Gathering Time at Jammin Jules House Concerts

Thanks againg, Barb, it was a great time! 8)

Ellis, bring your bathing suit, Jammin Jules got pools! :D
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Aug 24, 2009 10:42 am

paddy

Grace

Postby Grace » Fri Dec 04, 2009 6:14 pm

I just registered today and was happy to read all the positive comments about Gathering Time. Glen Roethel , Stuart Markus, and Hillary Foxsong are incredible! They seem to genuinely enjoy singing together. They’re always smiling, and their voices blend into beautiful harmonies. When they’re singing, it’s as though the trio was meant to be together. Hillary has a phenomenal voice, and Glen and Stu are unusually talented musicians, songwriters, and singers. (With all due respect to Joni Mitchell, Hillary’s covers of her songs are better than the originals.)

Anyone who gets a chance to catch one of their shows won’t be disappointed. They’re usually in the metropolitan NY area, but they will be traveling to North Carolina in mid-January, Pittsburgh in early March, and upstate NY in May.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:32 pm

Welcome, Grace! Nice to have you on board. :) I will try to get to the Pittsburgh show .

Please consider submitting the "get to know you" survey in the Say Something forum if you care to tell us about yourself.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Grace

Postby Grace » Sun Dec 06, 2009 9:18 am

Hi Karen,
Gathering Time is going to be in Hatboro, PA on 1-23-10 and Pittsburgh, PA on 3-7-09. There should be some more information on their website soon. I've been fortunate to hear them sing about 5 or 6 times this year.

BTW, everyone had a great time at the Univeristy Cafe at Stony Brook last Sunday. Ellis, Adam, and Mike were absolutely wonderful!

Grace

Postby Grace » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:57 pm

In case anyone living in the Philadephia area is interested, Gathering Time is going to be in Hatboro, PA this evening. I'm not sure if tickets are still available, but the number to call for Lewis Circle House Concerts is 215-442-9552. They're really an amazing trio!

Grace

Postby Grace » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:58 am

Gathering Time is going to be in Philadelphia, PA tomorrow. If any of the EP fans in living the area can get to the concert, I can guarantee you'll have a good time!

http://www.gatheringtimetrio.com/gather ... lendar.htm

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:56 am

I'm still not sure if I can make the show in Pittsburgh tomorrow due to several schedule conflicts. :( But Jim and Llouise's house concerts are always special, so I would encourage anyone else in the Pittsburgh area to go!

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Grace

Postby Grace » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:31 pm

Thanks, Karen. Hope you can get there! If not, they probably be back before long.

Return to “Looking for My Friends”