Eric Lowen and Dan Navarro

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:00 pm

Wow, I must say I was quite surprised to not see a thread related to these contemporary folk icons. If I have missed the thread I trust these comments will be redirected appropriately and efficiently. Although I am a poorly equipped messenger, I shall begin a thread. I am certain there are Lowen & Navarro fans out there that will fill in the blanks or correct me if I misspeak.

According to the Lowen and Navarro website: “For twenty years, Eric Lowen and Dan Navarro have written, recorded and toured for a growing national audience. Their nine CDs showcase self-penned songs of experience, colored by supple acoustic-based arrangements centered around their intertwined voices. Songwriters of notable cachet, their works have been recorded by artists as diverse as Pat Benatar (the worldwide Top 5 smash "We Belong"), The Bangles, The Four Tops, Dave Edmunds, The Temptations and a host of others. Out of their success as songwriters came the impetus for forming Lowen & Navarro: They wanted to sing their songs themselves….Through the years, Lowen & Navarro continue to document humanity's dignity and frailty, to examine life's losses and lessons. Their songs are all conveyed with an urgency and immediacy that is the benchmark of their commitment to their music and their audience.

Just over five years ago, Eric Lowen was diagnosed with Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis, (ALS) more commonly referred to as “Lou Gherig’s Disease.” . The ALS Association website states, “ALS is a progressive neurodegenerative disease that attacks nerve cells in the brain and spinal cord resulting in muscle weakness and atrophy.” The site goes on to state that “Approximately 5,600 people in the U.S. are diagnosed with ALS each year…Although the life expectancy of an ALS patient averages about two to five years from the time of diagnosis, this disease is variable and many people live with quality for five years and more.”

The Lowen and Navarro website currently states: “ It's been just over five years since Eric Lowen's diagnosis with ALS, and after 250 performances logged since that giant day, we now find our shows this weekend in Annapolis Fri June 5 and Alexandria VA Sat June 6 must be our last. It's "El Fin Del Camino" and the shows will feature vocals and love from some of our best friends -- ELLIS PAUL, Eddie From Ohio, The Kennedys, SONia, John Jennings, Naked Blue and more. The Rams Head is sold out, but tickets are still available for the Birchmere show Saturday June 6. And as touring ends, somehow the road still goes on...”

I was fortunate enough to nab a ticket for the Birchmere, and will post a report of what promises to a memorable and likely heart-wrenching show. I believe this show may benefit the Eric Lowen Trust, but I have not been able to find a working link for that foundation.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Eric Lowen and Dan Navarro

Postby KarenZ » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:42 pm

Thanks Sue Ellen for the good information. I found this on the Lowen & Navarro website, but I really had to look:

Donations to the The Eric Lowen Trust can be made via PayPal to:
ericlowentrust@lownav.com

Or mail a check or money order to:
The Eric Lowen Trust
2554 Lincoln Blvd #255
Venice, CA 90291

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:44 am

Thank you Karen for finding that link. I am not sure, but I believe that the trust may help defray the health care expenses involved in battling ALS. I also believe Eric Lowen has young children whose future care and support are likely a concern.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:53 am

Folks,

Saw Dan Navarro with David Glaser Saturday night in Pittsburgh at a mini-folk festival (also The Rhythm Angels, Cellofourte, & Jim Relja) called Cindystock. I guess David is now playing with Dan on a semi-regular basis. It was truly a magical night....with all proceeds from Cindystock going to various cancer organizations. I commented to David that I had heard wonderful things about him from the time he opened for EP at the Panzer's house concert a while back. His reply was "Ellis proposed to me that night!". :D

I just love getting all the dirt. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Return to “Looking for My Friends”