Great Lake Swimmers

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Great Lake Swimmers

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:13 am

Folks,

IllinoisBill turned me on to an album by the Great Lake Swimmers called Ongiara......and I am totally OCD on the track "I Became Awake" which seems to be my new theme song. You can listen to the entire track at the link below from last.fm. If you like Hem or Iron & Wine, you'll love the Great Lake Swimmers.

I Became Awake

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Great Lake Swimmers

Postby KarenZ » Thu Apr 23, 2009 11:37 am

Jela,

The Great Lake Swimmers are coming to the UK in May. If they tour anywhere near you, check them out! EP went to hear them last week in C'Ville, just a few days after BeckyG did a road trip to Denton, TX to hear them. Both gave them high marks.

A video of one of my favorite songs from Ongiara:
Great Lake Swimmers - Your Rocky Spine

Here's a link to a recent Paste magazine interview with lead singer/writer Tony Dekker:
Paste interview with Tony Dekker

I'm enjoying their new CD Lost Channels.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Apr 24, 2009 3:22 am

Need to check them out but the London date is already a sell out and the other dates aren't close enough to us. Shame.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Apr 24, 2009 12:58 pm

What a bummer! :(

KarenZ
Richard + Jela wrote:Need to check them out but the London date is already a sell out and the other dates aren't close enough to us. Shame.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Aug 31, 2009 9:55 pm

Went to my very first Great Lakes Swimmers concert this past Friday night! It was a free outdoor show sponsored by WYEP at Schenley Plaza on the Pitt campus. They are really wonderful.....and Tony Dekker is so darn cute! :)

I forgot my camera, so this is the best I could do with my cell phone.

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:28 am

We have got tickets to see them in November in London. After you and Becky + others said how good they were we are going to see them too.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 01, 2009 8:49 am

Jela,

Yay! I sure hope you like them! :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Nov 19, 2009 6:03 pm

Saw them last night at The Jazz Cafe in London. They played to pretty much a full house and from the voices overheard there were a fair few Canadians in the audience who had come out to support their fellows.

Tony Dekker is very much the main man, writes all the songs and does all the singing. His voice is very gentle and occasionally is overwhelmed by the music (or certainly was on occasions last night). They played for about 85 minutes, 18 songs which included 3 completely solo by Dekker.

We stood right at the front so I could read he set list easily; I'd been playing 'Ongiara' and 'Lost Channels' in the car to/from work this week and when I do that I never know the song titles. Biggest reception of the night was for 'Your Rocky Spine'

So pleased that we went so thanks for the recommendations guys! I walked off with a copy of the set list as a souvenir!

Jela

Becky

Postby Becky » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:59 pm

Richard and Jela,
So glad you got to hear the GLS! I'm quite envious that you got such a nice souvenir. :D They recently played at the university here. I got a signed poster as my souvenir. :D
Was Julie with them in London? She wasn't with them here in Norman, but was with them when I saw them in Denton.

Becky

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:18 pm

No Becky she wasn't with them, it was all the boys on Wednesday night.

Jela

Return to “Looking for My Friends”