Richard Shindell

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Re: Richard Shindell

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:15 pm

Proof positive men rarely ask for directions and women take issue with our ways. It's a fave on the new release and for some reason Shawn Colvin's line "at least I got a song out of it" comes to mind. I especially like the clever use of the lyric Bardstown Road. 8)

Gethsemani Goodbye
Richard Shindell
from Not Far Now

I remember everything
how I went too far
how I lost my way
out on Bardstown Road

how I drove around in circles
til the morning slipped away
then headed back to Louisville
and kissed Gethsemani goodbye

all you really wanted
was to go see Merton's shed
to stroll around the garden
to pray beside his grave

but I refused to ask directions
just kept on driving like a fool
and when the interstate appeared
we kissed Gethsemani goodbye

it's just straight out 31
Broadway becomes Main
how I missed that turn
I will never know

I remember everything
how I went too far
how I lost my way
out on Bardstown Road

the friend you always needed
would've kept our morning plan
But I drove us back to Louisville
and kissed Gethsemani goodbye
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed May 06, 2009 6:43 am

Folks,

Here's a nice review of the swoonworthiest's new CD Not Far Now from Minor 7th:

Richard Shindell's storytelling can get under your skin. Keeping an eye out for the outcast, he finds the singable moment in the one element in the picture that doesn't belong. "Parasol Ants," opens. Driven by Shindell's jaunty bouzouki, it finds a young hood, "busted, but good," sprawled on a busy sidewalk watching "parasol ants in a perfect line with bright green leaves raised up high." Shindell's musical photograph of that moment manages to swing while touching on issues of youth, socialization, spirituality, and nature. The built-in yearning in Shindell's voice has never sounded prettier than in "Juggler in Traffic." Here, the narrator is the element that doesn't belong. He goes from "car to car" with his "juggler's cap on" searching for someone. He's "still out here at midnight looking for the stars in the streetlamp glow." But the highlight, the track that best exemplifies the quiet ambition of this record is "Bye Bye," a homage to Lennon-McCartney's "She's Leaving Home," down to the plaintive "bye bye" recalling John's ending in the original, the cello, and the Beatlesque "la la" chorus over the chorus. The song works as a sequel, but it's about the act of songwriting. The verses present the facts. But we hear the writer's voice in the chorus. He could "bring her back to them with a few strokes of this fountain pen" but the famous "man from the motor trade ran off with a meter maid" (likely named Rita). And anyway, "that's not how this story ends." In "Clara," Shindell channels his labelmate Peter Mulvey and sings in a voice we haven't heard before. "Balloon Man," perhaps the loveliest song ever written using the word "equipoise," focuses on another outcast. Listen for the tiny grace notes Shindell sings in each chorus. The song makes a fitting closer, epitomizing Shindell's eye for detail, the inclusiveness of his vision and the beauty of this record.
© David Kleiner

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

RonG

Re: Antje Duvekot

Postby RonG » Fri May 08, 2009 10:28 pm

Can anyone tackle the song in Spanish on Richard Shindell's new CD?

Someone did it on the Shindell-list:

Where do I put what is found
In the streets, in the books
In the night, in the faces
In which I've searched for you?

Where do I put what is found
In the land, in your name,
In the Bible, on the day
That I finally met you?

What do I say to Death, so many times called to my side?
That after all, my sister's returned?

What do I say to the empty glory of being alone,
Making me the sad one, making me the wolf?

What do I say to the dogs that used to go with me
On lost, friendless nights?

What do I say to the moon that I believed a companion
Of nights and nights without being sincere?

What do I do now with you?
The pigeons that go to sleep in the parks
Don't speak to me now

What do I do now with you
Now that you are the moon, the dogs,
The nights, all of my friends?

paddyinthepub

Re: Antje Duvekot

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri May 08, 2009 10:57 pm

Rock on Ron G!!! 8)

I owe ya one!!! :wink:

Here ya go..... :idea:

Frère Jacques,
Frère Jacques,
Dormez vous?
Dormez vous?
Sonnez les matines,
Sonnez les matines,
Din, din, don!
Din, din, don!

English Version:

Are you sleeping,
Are you sleeping?
Brother John?
Brother John?
Morning bells are ringing,
Morning bells are ringing,
Ding ding dong,
Ding ding dong.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jun 03, 2009 8:21 am

Folks,

There's quite a few new YouTube videos from Richard's current UK/Netherlands tour:

Richard Shindell on YouTube

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:45 am

Folks,

Heading out for a few days at the beach followed by the 3-day RS extravaganza with the Blixt's (who planned last year's EP extravaganza) in Arlington, VT. Details and pictures to follow at some point. :)

Can you say "swoon"? ;)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:29 am

You can say 'swoon' and we shall expect nothing less than to see a picture of you in 'swoon' mode!!!!

Have a great time.

Jela

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:33 pm

KarenZ wrote:Folks,

Heading out for a few days at the beach followed by the 3-day RS extravaganza with the Blixt's (who planned last year's EP extravaganza) in Arlington, VT. Details and pictures to follow at some point. :)

Can you say "swoon"? ;)

KarenZ

You're going back to Arlington? Please have an Ooey Gooey for me. :mrgreen:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 14, 2009 7:37 am

Will do, Bonnie. :-)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Aug 20, 2009 4:25 am

Listening to BBC radio last evening I was so taken by surprise to hear Richard Shindell being played - Gethsemani Goodbye was the track and whilst I'm used to Bob Harris playing the type of music I like on BBC Radio 2, this was on the Mike Harding show.

More please!

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Aug 20, 2009 7:43 am

Perhaps word is getting out beyond usual programs...that'd be great!

Love that song about a man getting lost and not asking directions!

What man cannot relate? Or woman? :wink:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:13 am

Folks,

Here's a link to some pictures from last week's 3-day Richard Shindell extravaganza at the West Mountain Inn:

Richard Shindell - West Mountain Inn

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:21 am

Paul Simon tune comes to mind....

still swoonworthy, after all these years

:P

Dang, he even looks good with pillow hair early morn! :shock:

Thanks for sharing those photos, Karen. 8)
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:27 am

Paddy,

Somehow.....thanks to Tim Blixt as I recall.....Richard found out about the swoonworthy stuff....and lapsed into a British accent saying Abigail Swoonworthy would be a perfect name for a heroine in a romance novel or some such....and we all had a good laugh about it. :)

KarenZ
paddyinthepub wrote:Paul Simon tune comes to mind....

still swoonworthy, after all these years

:P

Dang, he even looks good with pillow hair early morn! :shock:

Thanks for sharing those photos, Karen. 8)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 25, 2009 1:17 pm

Folks,

This is the report I just posted to the Shindell list regarding last week's 3-day Richard Shindell extravaganza:

Aug. 19, 2009

Tim Blixt called Sue Eckler-Kerns and Jerry Kerns up to present Richard with a quilt that Sue had made to commemorate the event. Those in attendance will each sign on quilt square for Richard. Sue made individual squares as souvenirs that Richard will autograph for us. Tim then introduced Richard.

RS said that a total of 66 songs had been requested. He had them all listed in a database on his laptop and after he performed the song, he got great pleasure placing an “X” next to the song title on his database list. :-)

1.Peggy-O (RS said he had never performed it before)
2. Fenario (follow-up to Peggy O written from the female’s point of view – the night before he leaves)
3. Sonora’s Death Row (requested by 1 person)
4. Abby’s Gone (written in Florence, Italy; told story about adopting Abby the dog)
5. My Love Will Follow You
6. Hazel’s House (one of the most requested songs)
7. Acadian Driftwood (on bazooki)
8. There Goes Mavis (requestor wanted it sung all 3 nights which goes against the rule of no song repeated) :-)
9. Gethsemani Goodbye
10. Waiting for the Storm
11. Blue Divide (Marconi Beach, Cape Cod)
12. Kenwoerth of my Dreams (2 requests)
13. Are you Happy Now?

At this point, a break was sorely needed by audience members…..and when Tim commented that “people are leaving” (indicating a need for a break), RS misunderstood and thought it was time to end the show….at least that’s what I think happened….he may simply have been tired…..so he ended with:

14. The Mountain

August 20, 2009

No laptop/database list tonight. ;-)

1.Trespassing (a brand new song that he wrote that day in his room at the inn; was inspired as he looked out the window at the mountains of Vermont…..and thinking about trespassing….)
2.Courier
3.Calling the Moon (commented that he probably hadn’t sung this song for 10 years)
4.Farewell to the Gold (by Paul Metser)
Commented at this point that Nic Jones’ “Penguin Eggs” is the best record ever made and that it never leaves his ipod….along with possibly “Blood on the tracks”.)
5.May (on bazooki)
6.Sitting on top of the world (electric guitar)
7.Fishing (electric guitar)
8.Che Guevara T-shirt
BREAK – YAY!
9.Bye Bye (inspired after reading a Paul McCartney biography; his take on what happens after the Beatles “She’s Leaving Home”….but then he decides not to reveal what happens…..)
10.Mercy Street
11.Shades of Gray
12.America
13.She’s in Spain (commenting that the song contains the worst pair of rhymes ever :-) ; also said this song was his attempt to channel Bill Morrissey)
14.By Now
15.Parasol Ants (on bazooki)
16.Reunion Hill (on bazooki)
17.Transit
Encore:
18.Famous Blue Raincoat

Aug. 21, 2009

1.Out Beyond the Iron Gate
2.Trespassing (again – totally different lyrics – different title, but now I can’t remember what)
3.Next Best Western
4.I am
5.Arrowhead (RS commented that this song was being recorded by _____ and that there’s a video on YouTube of it but that the guy/band who recorded the song added another verse killing off the boy!)
6.Born in the USA (on bazooki)
7.Balloon Man
8.You Stay Here
9.A Change is Gonna Come
BREAK
10.Ballad of Mary Magdalene (on bazooki)
11.Come on Clara (electric guitar)
12.Juggler out in Traffic (electric guitar)
13.Eternity was Mine
14.Gray Green (the three Marias are three stars in Argentina)
15.Cold Missouri Waters
16.So Says the Whipporwhill
17.There Goes Mavis (a repeat!) :-) (on electric guitar)
18.Summer Wind, Cotton Dress (on bazooki)
Encore 1:
19.Wisteria
Encore 2:
20.The Hobo Song

If I think of other details, I'll post them.

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Aug 25, 2009 3:31 pm

It sounds like you had a great time Karen. It brings back wonderful memories from Ellis' turn last summer. :D

Two things come to mind.

1. I cherish my square from Sue. I have it hanging on my wall with a pewter dragonfly pin that I purchased in downtown Arlington.

2. Glad you got an encore, but I also like Ellis' theory. "It is not an encore kind of show. I sing until I can't sing anymore then that's it." And man did he sing all he could. :mrgreen:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Aug 25, 2009 5:16 pm

Karen - thanks for posting the report and photos. Looks like it was fun and hope you all enjoyed it. Like Bonnie says, it brings back memories of last year and again, like her, our quilt square hangs on the wall.

So much good music out there.........

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 14, 2009 10:25 pm

Richard Shindell on WFUV right now!!! in studio with full band.....

Stream WFUV live to hear Richard Shindell, now, Dec 14 920pm
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”