Anais Mitchell

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

Richard + Jela

Anais Mitchell

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon May 26, 2008 7:38 am

Went to see Anais on Saturday evening. She played two sets, the first included songs from her CDs as well as unrecorded songs from a folk opera that she has written called 'Hadestown'. The second set was an all request one and during the interval break members of the audience wrote down requests on a piece of paper which she used as her setlist.

She is such a beautiful and talented young lady, I think that you have to see her in a live performance to fully appreciate her (I don't think that the CDs do full justice to her talent) and she is extremely personable too. Her delivery is a little 'quirky' so right up my street as I like voices that sound 'different'.

At the end of this week she is playing in Boston at Passims and in June she is doing a few dates, in the US co-billing with Antje Duvekot. Dates include the Cactus Cafe TX and the Blue Door OK - those are going to be wonderful musical evenings.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon May 26, 2008 1:21 pm

Jela, I recall checking out Anais Mitchell a while back when John Gorka was talking about her on the front page of his website. I liked what I heard on her myspace back then and look forward to diggin a lil deeper. Thanks for the reminder here and the recap of her show. :)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon May 26, 2008 3:11 pm

Wow - John Gorka talkin about her, that's praise indeed.

I remember hearing Bill Morrissey talking about her and saying really good things about her too - with the calibre of people like these two guys singing her praises, she is bound to be destined for bigger things.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon May 26, 2008 5:30 pm

I do so love technology, sometimes.....took me less than a minute to find the words of John Gorka on Anais Mitchell. Whew!!! :D

This is from the front page at John Gorka's website:

I Got to see a friend of mine

I got to see my friend Cliff Eberhardt play in Saint Paul the other night and he was great. I’ve known Cliff a long time and he was as good or better than I’ve ever seen him. He’s been on the road constantly since early May and all those shows have put him at the top of his game. It was a real joy. He asked me to come up and sing at the end of his set and we had much fun. I hope I didn’t overfool around. It’s a very fine line between irreverence and disrespect and I hope I didn’t cross it, and if I did I hope I got back in time. Opening the show was Anais Mitchell. She is so talented and was so good. She has a limitless future. Her new record is called “The Brightness” on Righteous Babe Records. I said to Cliff after the show about Anais “She’s the future. We are not, Cliff. We’re between the future and the pasture.”
paddy

herve

Postby herve » Tue May 27, 2008 1:42 am

Hello everyone

Gorka even ranks seeing Anais perform as one of his highlights for 2007 :)

Here is a video of Anais singing her arabic song a-capella, followed by Bill singing Handsome Molly:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdVDSu3oFXE

When I was at the Greenriver Festival with Bill, he was pretty impressed by Anais. And not only because she's a pretty young woman ;)

And here, she's playing "1984" at la Pomme d'Eve. You can't see much, that' just the way it is at la Pomme ;))) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HDNHiWDk0Jc

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue May 27, 2008 11:02 am

Herve

Thanks for the links to the videos.....checked them out this morning, as well as a handful of others....wow.....what an artist in the best sense of the word. There are some pretty comical send ups where Anais is at the piano and pretending to be someone she is not.....all in French but hilarious nonetheless. :lol:
paddy

Richard + Jela

Re: Anais Mitchell

Postby Richard + Jela » Sun May 24, 2009 9:40 am

I note that Anais is playing at tonight's show in Vermont with Ellis and Antje. Just wanted to say 'make sure you don't miss her' as she is one of the most talented young musicians on the circuit.

We always go to see her as luckily for us she comes over to the UK regularly.

Enjoy the show!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun May 24, 2009 11:18 am

Jela,

Sue Ellen is planning to be there tonight (she's running another marathon up that way today!) so hopefully we'll have a report that will satisfy the EP fans, Antje fans (esp. our newest member Zac) :) and Anais fans. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sat May 30, 2009 11:19 am

I was absolutely blown away, mesmerized, entranced...I am getting chills just recalling her voice, music, phrasing, and that little dance she does while she performs. I am also reaffirmed that the best things are Vermont made (Anais absolutely outranks maple syrup and Ben and Jerry's icecream, and the trifecta of congressional representatives Leahy, Sanders, and Jeffords). I can forgive her her attendance at Mt. Abe high school, which always seemed to beat my alma mater, Mill River, at least when I was there eons ago. I will try my best to take advantage of any opportunity I have to hear her again.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat May 30, 2009 11:57 am

Here's Anais Mitchell at the Vermont show SueEllen spoke so eloquently about in her 3000 miles post.... 8)

Twilight Music ~ Hadestown
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:18 pm

Thank you. I now find myself returning to that youtube video, and other Anais videos as well. As soon as this months round of bills is paid, I will get a cd.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

Return to “Looking for My Friends”