Loggins and Messina

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Loggins and Messina

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:44 pm

Kenny Loggins with Jimmy Messina......"Sittin In" :wink:

Kenny Loggins pictured his career in popular music as a solo artist when he asked Jimmy Messina to "sit in" with him or more to the point produce his first solo record. The guys soon discovered it would be the beginning of something really, really special. By the second record they were a band bound for greatness.

I've seen Kenny Loggins in concert a few times but only after the duo had parted ways after years of making great records as Loggins and Messina. I've seen Jimmy Messina on his own in concert with his band, too, and he was spectacular. He dusted off many of the classics from all over his storied and stellar career.

You can take a look back at the music these two made over at a place called Wolfgang's Vault where there are a number of Loggins and Messina concerts from the 70's archived. 8)

note: Wolfgang's Vault requires a simple registration to view archives.

http://concerts.wolfgangsvault.com/dt/l ... ign=080312

I'm hoping there are a few like me out here that loved these guys, too. :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:15 pm

Paddy,

Me me me!! I am a huge L&M fan!! They're song "Till the Ends Meet" was my wedding song!!

I unfortunately did not get the chance to see them when they reunited a couple of years ago. I heard that they were still great though, and having a blast on stage.

"On Stage" is one of my all time favorite albums.

Many moons ago when I moved from Jersey to Georgia, "Back to Georgia" was one of the many 'Georgia' songs played at my going away party.

Were you also a Poco fan, many L&M fans were both.

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:54 pm

Annie

I can easiy point to a place and time in my teens when I turned the corner on what music meant to me and it set me on a path I'm still travelling on today. Loggins and Messina albums were among a handful of records that were that soundtrack and among them "Onstage" was a real favorite. Add to that early mix some early Jackson Browne, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young and I was done. Done I tell ya. The same friend, thru his older brother, turned me on to Townes van Zandt's double live album recorded at The Old Quarter in Houston, Tx. Life was good. :D I was all of 17 and the music pouring out of stereo speakers at home and in the car was easily some of the best I'd ever heard. Here I am today.

Loved all those lil gems of seldom heard Loggins and Messina tunes that were not played on the radio much but if you had the records, and I did, you could just immerse yourself in those songs....WOW. Til the ends meet and so many other great songs. Well...I'm actually a distant fan of Jimmy's other band Poco...I had a few and like them plenty...but I can't honestly say those songs reached out and grabbed me or held on tight enough for me to latch on to their stuff. About 6 months ago I found myself out at the POCO fan forum and was really surprised to see how HUGE the following is even to this day. :shock: 8)

I was really into Loggins and Messina tho....one of my early attempts at pencil drawing had me sketching one of their early Album covers. It surprised me how close I got to capturing it. Sadly, it's long gone and the talent potential went with it. I think I tried one of Dan Fogelberg's Album Covers, too and it came out nicely, too. Ahhh..make art...make art. :D

I listened to one of the concerts archived on Wolfgang's Vault of Loggins and Messina back in 1974......check it out someday...really classic stuff. I did get the CD of their Reunion Tour of a few years ago and now I'm kicking myself for not getting the bonus DVD package instead. Missed them on that tour but if they ever go out again, I'm so there. I read that they might be planning on doing it again. That'd be cool. 8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “Looking for My Friends”