Crowded House of Finn

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Crowded House of Finn

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:15 pm

Crowded House slipped off my ol' musical radar forever. Although I know there was greatness there I only ever had their breakthough record that had the hit song "Don't Dream it's Over" on it. I had friends who were really into the Finn Brothers and tried to get me into them. Sadly I never heard any of their other stuff. :( Now along comes one of their offspring making waves in the next chapter of the Crowded House of Finn. :wink:

Any fans of the Finn Brothers want to fill me in on what I missed?

Thanks in advance. :D

Here's young Liam Finn with EJ Barnes on David Letterman :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGZ-1d2rH_w
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Wed Mar 05, 2008 4:37 pm

Wow! Where do I start?

I am a huge CH fan!! I never did get that into the Split Enz as much, so I guess as Finn Brothers go, I am more of a Neil fan than a Tim fan.

While CH was out of commission, I tried to get into the Finn Bros, and saw them in concert once, but really, just missed CH. I think Neil is an amazing songwriter, and awesome in concert. Tim played the Eddie's Attic recently. I missed the show, but heard it was just ok.

I recently got to see Crowded House in Atlanta. They were touring in support of their new CD "Time on Earth". As comeback cd's go, it's really strong. One of the highlights of the cd is the song "Silent House" co-written with Natalie Mains of the Dixie Chicks, about alzheimers. Apparently they both have family members afflicted with the disease. The song also appears on the Dixie Chicks most current release, and it's fun to see how they each recorded. Both versions are beautiful, and will break your heart!

At the CH show in October, Liam opened for them. I had heard about his musical technique and was curious to see what he had to offer, so I made sure I got there in time to see his set. And am I ever glad!! I thought his set was amazing, and can only describe his method as a sort of 'layering' of music. He's a one man band, plays all the instruments, and 'loops' them until he ends up on the drums, and by that time he is just wailing!! It really is something to see!! And the whole time Liam was playing you could just catch sight of Neil in the wings, the proud PaPa, just beaming!!! It was a great moment from an awesome show!!

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:04 pm

Awesome Annie.... :) Thanks for the feedback. Have to admit here that I'm not sure I know which Finn brother is Tim and which is Neil. I do know by sight which of the brothers sings the lead on "Don't Dream it's over" but not sure if he's Neil or Tim...if I had to guess I'd say it was Neil.

Are these guys from the states or overseas? Australia, maybe? Why do I think this? I feel funny saying it...I mean I think they're Amercians or am I just grasping at straws here? :lol:

Love the Dixie Chick's and Natalie Maines and really loved the song they did about their Grandmother.....big ol' tears on that one. :cry:

Noticed on Letterman that Liam used the looping technique. I've seen KT Tunstall use it , too. Really talented musician that LIAM...I sat there wondering about the drums. Then he put his guitar down and banged the song to an end....WOW!!! That was cool!!! You can hear Paul Schaeffer whooping about it and then Letterman asks "is everybody okay?" :lol: How about the girl singing with him, EJ BARNES? Nice addition to the mix. I take it she was not with Liam when he opened for Crowded House. Too bad, she really impressed.

One of the Finn Bros. is blonde haired
One of the Finn Bros. is darker haired.

Help?

:D
paddy

annieb

Postby annieb » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:24 pm

Ok, let me try to be a bit more specific. As far as their location, I too am confused as to whether they are Aussie, or New Zealand. I have heard both try to claim them.

Neil is the shorter one, dark hair. IMHO adorable!! He is the Crowded House frontman.

Tim is taller, with grey hair. Although he was with CH off and on through the years, he is really more known for his Split Enz career. There is rumored to be quite the sibling rivalry that kicks in from time to time, which would explain their sporadic careers together.

I hate that I missed Liam on Letterman, and no, he did not have anyone with him, so I will have to check out the girl you were talking about. All I can tell you about Liam, is that he showed up on stage in Atlanta - no body knew who the heck he was - and when his set was done the crowd was on it's feet!! He came back for an encore. How many times do you see that happen with an opener?

There is a rumor he is coming to the Attic!!

I'm very excited, but don't want to count my chickens just yet. :)

Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:30 pm

Thanks again, Annie......New Zealand is ringing a bell here, too. My guess is they live in the states now and have for some time?

Okay...got 'em straight, now...Neil and Tim.

Will ya give me dirty blonde on Neil? :P

Got your back on Liam on Letterman....up top is the link to youtube. :wink:

I'm curious about EJ Barnes, now.... 8)
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Mar 07, 2008 3:39 pm

I have always been a huge Crowded House fan. I am aware of their comeback, but I am too sad about the suicide of their drummer to explore the new music.

During the CH hiatus, Neil Finn toured as "Neil Finn and Friends" using different unbilled musicians in each city. I saw the tour in Boston and that night his friends were a 15 year old Lian and Eddie Vedder. :mrgreen:

According to Wikipedia, the Finns are Kiwis and the majority of the other band members are Aussies.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Return to “Looking for My Friends”