Mark Erelli

Post messages about other artists here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Mark Erelli

Postby KarenZ » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:02 pm

Folks,

Mark is now accepting pre-orders for Little Vigils and for a time you can stream the entire CD for free from his website HERE.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Mar 03, 2010 11:56 pm

Thanks for the link Karen... 3 or 4 clicks later, the CD is on the way to me..( or as soon as it is ready to ship) I do love that about the internet...BUT I don't understand how anyone can offer it for a free listen .. you just know people will find a way to "steal, burn, convert the file," what ever it takes to not pay if it is available.. it is so wrong...but how do they stop it from happening.
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Mar 04, 2010 9:21 am

Patti,

The download capability has been disabled so there's no way to "steal" anything. I'm sure at some point you will be able to download songs for a fee. I'm listening to the new CD now....just letting the jukebox play over and over....

KarenZ
Patti wrote:Thanks for the link Karen... 3 or 4 clicks later, the CD is on the way to me..( or as soon as it is ready to ship) I do love that about the internet...BUT I don't understand how anyone can offer it for a free listen .. you just know people will find a way to "steal, burn, convert the file," what ever it takes to not pay if it is available.. it is so wrong...but how do they stop it from happening.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:07 am

I don't know Karen, I just think there are people out there who are always one step ahead of the disable feature with some type of illegal technology. Maybe not so much with this type of particular fan base... but.. it makes it hard for any artist to try to self promote and self support their livelyhood..... personally I think 30-45 second sound clips are fine.

Having just hear him play many of the new songs a few weeks ago, I am really looking forward to getting this CD, SOON !! And can't wait to see the video he is making to go along with the Basement Days song 8)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Mar 05, 2010 11:44 am

Have been listening to the songs repeatedly on the website jukebox. The last track - "Pauline" - written for his wife give me goosebumps. Wow. But for some reason the very dark "Hemlock Grove" is turning out to be my favorite. My favorite line: "Your heart is empty as winter in a tourist town". Oh my.

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:24 pm

Nice radio interview with Mark Erelli. :P

http://www.mpbn.net/News/MaineNewsArchi ... fault.aspx

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:27 am

Mark will be on WUMB's Live at Noon this Friday, April 2!

Anyone want to listen me with me? :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Mar 30, 2010 4:19 pm

I could be tempted :wink:

Jela

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:03 pm

Mark started with 'August' - such a pretty, gentle song. Also mentioned that he's playing Passim tonight.

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:11 pm

hi ...listening in for a bit.. I may have to leave before 12:30 !!

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:13 pm

lots of talk about being Dads... and limited time to devout to "just" music..

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:13 pm

Mark on WUMB today , Chris Trapper, yesterday.. boy WUMB has great taste in singer songwriters!!

Everything In Ruin !!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:17 pm

Hi Patti - he's singing 'Everything in Ruin' and has been talking about his little boy, the new CD - how the songs snuck up on him and he realised he'd got enough for a CD. Was recorded in 4 days at Sam Kassirer's place. As they were due to record the final song, they got interrupted by guys cutting down trees with a chainsaw - there's a YouTube video of it.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:26 pm

He's playing a Richard Thompson song! I Feel So Good - what a great choice - love RT!

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:27 pm

loving the rocking out on a Richard Thompson song.. man harmonica was very cool... :mrgreen:

talking about basement days...

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:30 pm

I think Basement Days is such a clever song the way it incorporates all those songs titles within the lyric.

The YouTube video he posted this week is such fun - Basement Days set to a video of him playing in band aged about 16 years. They are talking about the show, he played drums and sang, wore shorts!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:31 pm

Now he's playing Basement Days

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:34 pm

Okay need to head out .so happy that I happened to see this.. glad I got to enjoy with you Jela !!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:34 pm

Have fun Patti

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:37 pm

They're winding up - talking about other dates:

April 14th Lizard Lounge and later in year will be performing locally with Jeffrey Foucault.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:42 pm

That was a nice interview with Mark and hopefully it'll sell those few remaining tickets for tonight's show at Passim.

If anyone is going, please post a report here - thanks.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:25 am

Sorry I wasn't able to be online with your all after all! Was with little grandson Mason instead. :-)

Just watched the "Basement Days" video. It is so sweet.....could NOT stop smiling! The hairdo on drummer Mark very much resembles Ringo! :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:35 am

Great article in the Huffington Post - a conversation with Mark Erelli (it's preceded by a feature on Judy Collins) so he's keeping the right company!

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Aug 20, 2010 6:53 am

The past three days have been spent at The West Mountain Inn, Vermont where we are in a party of 40 people who have taken over the place for concerts with Mark Erelli, Lori McKenna and Tracy Grammer.

Each evening one started the set solo played about 5 songs and then the other two joined for an in the round song swap. First night Tracy led, second Mark and third Lori. What was particularly pleasing was the way they accompanied each other. Mark and Tracy are particularly adept at just picking up what's going on and contributing. Mark not only played his own material, he sang harmony on virtually all Lori's songs and accompanied both ladies on guitar or mandolin. Amazing!

Yesterday Mark + Lori did a workshop which about 12/14 of us attended. For almost two hours they sat and chatted with us about music and all related topics, opening themselves to a Q+A format. A special treat was hearing each one, at the end of the session, play a completely new song. Mark's had only been written (with Lori's help) the previous day. Two attendees also got to play a song of their own for Mark + Lori - that was a dream come true for them. Playing for their idols.

A wonderful way to see and hear musicians. One guy after last night's show said that it had been a life changing 3 days!

So good that UK friends came out this year with us. The first concert they hosted at their home that we went to was Tracy Grammer (4 years ago) so she was the catalyst for what has become a good and strong friendship.

I'm hoping that Richard will be able to get some photos posted so that I can give you a link, in due course.

Wonderful!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:53 am

Jela,

Thanks for the wonderful recap! I've been thinking about you all during your sojourn at the West Mountain Inn! Sounds fab! :-)

KarenZ

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Tue Aug 24, 2010 10:27 pm

Jela that sounds like an outstanding weekend ! I am envious, but very happy for you.
Jeff

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Oct 04, 2010 5:17 pm

This is an 8 minute video montage of Mark Erelli (accompanied on some of the songs by Meg Hutchinson) at Eddie's Attic, last month.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Oct 29, 2010 3:26 pm

Mark will be live in the WUMB studio this coming Thursday, Nov. 4, 2010 at 2pm EST! Anybody up for an online gathering? Jela? :-)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Oct 30, 2010 3:04 am

I'm sorry to say that I will miss it - will be in London to see Darrell Scott playing a solo show (after seeing him last night as part of Robert Plant's Band of Joy - amazing concert!).

I'll have to catch up with your postings about Mark afterwards.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:57 am

Jela, you will be missed today! :(

Can anyone else tune in this afternoon? I'll be listening!

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:26 pm

WUMB will broadcast - for the first time - a recent member concert. The premiere of the Mark Erelli & Jeffrey Foucault member concert will air Thursday, Jan. 27, 2011 at 6pm EST. You will hear songs from their recent collaboration Seven Curses - a collection of murder ballads - as well as songs from their solo catalogs.

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:30 pm

I'm hoping to be awake for this one! Five hour time difference to manage!!!!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:37 pm

Take a nap tomorrow! :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Jan 28, 2011 11:25 am

Well I stayed awake throughout the hour long programme. It was great. Both played songs from 'Seven Curses' talked about how they met, their musical inspirations and how the CD came together. Each, at the end performed one of their own songs from their solo CD's.

Well worth staying up until midnight for me!

Jela

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Jan 29, 2011 8:56 am

Ahh.. I wanted to listen but it was dinner time here.. I need to find a way to have my computer connection in the kitchen.. I thought 6:00 seemed like an odd time for the broadcast....

hopefully it will rebroadcast.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:36 pm

Mark's concert at Passim tomorrow (March 17th) is going to be streamed live by Concert Window staring at 8pm Boston time, that's midnight here so do I try and stay awake or take an afternoon nap in readiness for listening in so late????

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Mar 16, 2011 5:35 pm

Strong green tea might do the trick..... :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:47 am

Paddy,

You mean strong GREEN tea don't you? ;-)

Happy St. Paddy's Day, Paddy! :mrgreen:

Jela, take a nap and do a Bewley's! ;-)

I'll try to be there tonight, but no promises!

KarenZ

paddyinthepub wrote:Strong green tea might do the trick..... :wink:

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:12 pm

Anyone watching the live stream?

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:24 am

Jela,

You go girl! :-) I ended up watching "Matlock" in bed at 8pm. :roll:

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:44 am

It was great. The band was 'hot' featuring Lorne Entress, Zach Hickman and Jake Armerding.

Heard two new songs 'Charlottesville' and an untitled one - my guess would be 'For a Song' - both wonderful.

A few DB members were also watching and we were FBooking during the stream! A fun night or rather an early morning for me as I logged in at 1.00am over here.

Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:58 pm

BARNSTAR! on Bandcamp

Hear Mark Erelli's new side project with the always amazing Armerdings as they paint grass a new shade of blue on songs like Neil Young's Cowgirl in the Sand The Traveling Wilburys' Handle With Care and DAWES' When My Time Comes

This is on Bandcamp now with free listening and download ($12)

They have a facebook page, too, with 61 people like this's

Thanks to John1977 in Maine for sharing this information with me tonight. He knew the project was underway and when he discovered it was released digitally today and featured the DAWES COVER well, he just had to let me know. THANKS JOHN!!! This BAND sounds GREAT
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:34 am

Paddy,

I thought of you yesterday as I listened to the Dawes track (after getting Mark's newsletter)......and wondered if you knew.....so I'm happy to know the music web we weave is working. ;-)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:01 am

May the circle be unbroken by and by lord by and by

BARNSTAR! @ Club Passim soon....

I have a friend who's going...she's a DAWES fan, too...

She invited me to the show.......

I'm hoping it's on Concert Window
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Oct 04, 2011 1:26 pm

I'm also hoping that it will be streamed live on Concert Window even though it will be some unearthly hour for me!

Still, it's Mark Erelli so 'not to be missed' in my little corner of this earth!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Oct 04, 2011 2:30 pm

I'll be seeing him here one month from today! Yippee!! :-)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:03 am

Jealous!

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 26, 2011 12:57 pm

Folks,

I went to the premier of the music documentary Troubadour Blues last night. The film features many of our favorites, including (Jela, this is for you!) Mark Erelli and Sam Baker! :-)

It also features Peter Case, Chris Smither, Amy Speace, Karl Mullen, Slaid Cleaves, Garrison Starr, RB Morris, Mary Gauthier, Troy Campbell, Dave Alvin, Anne McCue, Gurf Morlix, and Jeff Talmadge.

You can view the trailer on YouTube here.

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Oct 26, 2011 6:11 pm

Well that's my Xmas wish list started!!!!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed May 28, 2014 8:34 am

Hey, EP fans!

Please consider donating to Mark Erelli's new Kickstarter fundraiser for his forthcoming CD Milltowns - a tribute to the late Bill Morrissey. You can make a pledge at the link below:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/67 ... -morrissey

KarenZ

Return to “Looking for My Friends”