Ellis Paul song featured on Sugarland holiday CD!

Announcements from Ellis Paul Management.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Ellis Paul song featured on Sugarland holiday CD!

Postby KarenZ » Mon Oct 29, 2007 5:25 am

Folks,

Country duo Sugarland is releasing an exclusive limited-edition of their #1 Enjoy The Ride with five holiday songs on a second disk. The bonus holiday EP will include four traditonal holiday favorites: "Nuttin' For Christmas," "Holly Jolly Christmas," "Oh Come, Oh Come Emmanuel," and "Winter Wonderland" PLUS one original track, "Little Wood Guitar" co-written by Ellis Paul and Sugarland's Kristian Bush. All five of the holiday songs were produced by the duo's Jennifer Nettles and Kristian. The special edition will ONLY be available at Wal-Mart - beginning November 6, 2007.

Yes, Virginia, there IS a Santa Clause! :D

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:43 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Oct 29, 2007 12:49 pm

Just when you thought Monday morning couldn't get any better (think Red Sox and Patriots) Karen you post this great news!!

PS Ellis was loving getting the update of the Red Sox during the show at Stone Soup. He started the night by saying he thought it was going to be just him listening to the game on the radio on the stage that night. He then started to play Take Me Out to Ballgame on the piano.!!
It was so funny that while he first took the cell phone away and gave us an update it was 3-0 then during that call Dice K hit a single and put us ahead 5-0...
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:46 pm

I actually heard "Little wood guitar" one time. It was at the Mucky Duck in Houston back in September 2005. BeckyG was with me. Ellis played three sets - 31 songs total - and the very last song was "little wood guitar". I don't remember how it goes or anything - only that I liked it. No surprise. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:13 pm

Folks,

I was at WalMart this morning shortly after 7am. The clerk was just putting the new releases out so I bought the holiday edition of Enjoy the Ride. "Little Wood Guitar" is so sweet - there's somethng about Christmas and Christmas songs that evoke memories and strong feelings....and this song sure did that for me. Jennifer Nettles sings the lead vocals with Kristian Bush doing background vocals. I'll post the lyrics here and in a separate thread in the music forum.

Little Wood Guitar

It’s Christmas day and snow is coming down
Church bells sway – they’re ringing to wake the town
Preacher Kline recites his lines – pews will be full today
Mr. Howell cranks up his plow – his blades will clear the way

It’s Christmas Day and the pecan pies are baking
Mothers say it’s the giving not the taking
My brother’s brand new bicycle is out jangling in the street
I watch him through the icicles with this wood box beneath my feet

[Chorus 1]
All I got is this little wood guitar
What it brought is neon lights and crowded bars
Like all the kings with all their gold who went chasing down your star, I’m told
Every highway takes me where you are – with my little wood guitar

It’s Christmas day – funny how the years can shape us
Much has changed – I’m a musician, I’m a waitress
Chicago’s winter wonderland with my brother and his wife
Passing around their dinner plates and dissecting my life

[Repeat chorus 1]

[Bridge]
I never stopped believing
I just kept on singing
Now people come to hear for miles around
And I don’t mind confessing
That I still count my blessings
I just never thought I’d settle down

It’s Christmas day – and the little ones are waking
I hear them play – I can hear the presents shaking
A boy’s outside on his new bike – jangling in the street
A little girl – she’s watching him – wood box beneath her feet

[Chorus 3]
All she’s got is this little wood guitar
What I thought – it might take her pretty far
Like all the kings with all their gold who went chasing down your star, I’m told
Every highway takes me where you are – with my little wood guitar

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Nov 29, 2007 11:58 am

Folks,

For those of you haven't gotten the Sugarland CD with "Little Wood Guitar" you can watch a a fan-made video to the song on YouTube linked below. PLEASE post your thoughts about the song! I am really hoping the song becomes a Christmas standard.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FoawMUnUOQs

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Nov 29, 2007 12:57 pm

Well it gets the 'country' treatment alright. I hope too that it's a huge hit and gets played every Xmas time and time again and makes squillions for the songwriter!

I'd love to hear Ellis' version - I imagine that it would be quite different from Sugarland's.

Jela

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu Nov 29, 2007 1:11 pm

It's a great song!

I have to say though, after hearing Ellis sing it at Somerville Theater, I LOVE his version.

Monica R.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:16 pm

We were spreading the word about this last night at a Matt Nathanson show. When he referenced Sugarland we brought up Ellis. :D
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:21 pm

After reading about Ellis' collaboration with Kristian Bush on this song my first instinct was that Little Wood Guitar was a song that would be a sweet soft little song that would work really well around the holidays, perhaps due to the news that Sugarland was releasing it on a bonus Christmas cd.

Imagine my surprise, first when I realized Ellis was about to play it live at Eddie's Attic last week, then when Ellis dove into the song in all it's folk rock intensity. I was floored by the song, and Ellis' performance of it, so different from what i had expected the song to sound like.

After the show, my wife commented that it had been awhile since she had seen Ellis so animated onstage. He really was into it that night, and I knew right away what she was trying to say. I chalked it up to him being back at Eddie's Attic, a home away from home of sorts for Ellis.

Late in the set, Ellis pulled up a stool and half leaning against it rather than sitting atop it told the crowd he was going to do a song cowritten with Kristian Bush of the country group Sugarland called Little Wood Guitar. I was in heaven, folks. At last I get to hear it live and in person. By the time Ellis reached the chorus I was thinking...WOW!!! Was I ever wrong about this song!!! It's not the soft seasonal holiday song I thought it was going to be.

I'd found the youtube of Little Wood Guitar by Sugarland a few days later, and honestly had trouble making the connection to the song Ellis performed that night and the recorded version by Sugarland. It's like it's two completely different songs, but I'm sure alot of that has to do with the tempo and Ellis' dynamic performance of the song that night.

So, yeah, I'm with everyone hoping this song does well for Sugarland and sells a gazillion copies........also that Ellis' version folk rocks!!! :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Nov 29, 2007 2:54 pm

I heard LWG once - years ago - when it was very very new. It's probably no longer the same song....so I really want to hear it again... NOW! :x

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:26 pm

WOW........here I thought the song was brand spankin new!!! :shock:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Nov 29, 2007 3:27 pm

You're correct! It is still brand-spankin' new! :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:15 pm

YEE HAW! USA Today "assesses 12 [Christmas] tunes from 2007 that might have some staying power" and the list includes "Little Wood Guitar"! :)

These artists may just cut an evergreen of a Christmas song by Brian Mansfield.

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:48 pm

Come a tay ya yippie!!! Talk about holiday cheer!!!! :D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Dec 13, 2007 4:54 pm

Paddy,

I concur sir! :)

Hopefully Sugarland will release a full-length Christmas CD at some point which would really help it along into classicdom!

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:34 pm

Yes indeed!!! And if they do, perhaps there'll be room for Snow in Austin. :D
paddy

Return to “Call Out the Paparazzi!”