Ellis Paul "Feature Article" in Wikipedia!

Announcements from Ellis Paul Management.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Ellis Paul "Feature Article" in Wikipedia!

Postby KarenZ » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:22 am

Folks,

This is an exciting day in Ellis Paul land in general and most particularly in my life. I am thrilled and honored to announce that the Ellis Paul article in Wikipedia has been elevated to Feature Article status. For the past two months I have been working almost 'round the clock researching, writing, and editing the Ellis Paul article - taking it from article "stub" status through Peer Review to "Good Article" status (Jan. 25) - finally reaching Feature Article status today - Feb. 23, 2007.

Featured Articles are what Wikipedia editors believe are the best articles in Wikipedia. They are the "Gold Standard" and are designated with a bronze star in the upper right-hand corner. To put this in some perspective I'll share some statistics.

At this moment in time there are:

1,654,098 articles in Wikipedia
1233 of those are Feature Articles
88 of those Feature Articles are in the Music category
20 of those Music FAs are biographies
3 of those Music Biographies are folk musicians
Those 3 folk musicians are:
Bob Dylan (rated Feature Article in 2003)
Nick Drake (rated Feature Article on Feb. 10, 2007)
Ellis Paul (rated Feature Article on Feb. 23, 2007)

It's been one of the steepest learning curves I've ever lived through. ;) Hopefully at some point in the not-too-distant-future the Ellis Paul article will be the Feature Article on the Wikipedia Main Page where each day one Feature Article is featured. I will have to nominate the EP article to be considered for this distinction. The Main Page has more than 2 million page views each day, so if the EP article ever gets there it will be quite a coup. Stay tuned! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

BillE

Postby BillE » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:53 am

Nice job, Karen. I know EP will appreciate this effort!

Bill

Patti

Postby Patti » Fri Feb 23, 2007 11:56 am

Wowza Karen... Ellis Rocks and you do to... not enough time to read it all now but will later today!!!!!

He certainly should play THIS OLD CAR for you now...

2bluesboys

Postby 2bluesboys » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:14 pm

Wonderful article, Karen!!

Barbara

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:53 pm

Karen, you are the bomb!! What an amazing amount of work you've put into this project. I'm so glad your effort has been duly recognized.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:00 pm

Ellis will likely include "This Old Car" at all future concerts Karen attends.

Great work, Karen!!!
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:21 pm

...I just took another look, and my mind is a little boggled by all the technical details Karen had to learn to juggle. Very impressive. Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Sat Feb 24, 2007 5:23 am

Karen - congratulations. A real tribute to all your hard work on the article.

Jela

mm

Postby mm » Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:38 am

Karen, This is OUTSTANDING!!!
What an incredible amount of effort and energy. It's great that you are a good little researcher as well as writer. This truly has been like another job for you. What an incredible thing you've done for Ellis and to bring to another segment of society his music. We're very proud of you, and I'm sure Ellis is floored.

We all need a Karen in our lives!

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:35 pm

I think there are many jealous folk singers out there this week!! I bet they all wish they had a Karen in their corner!!

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:33 pm

Karen - that's some great work ! Congratulations.
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:50 pm

Thanks, everyone.

Today I nominated the Ellis Paul article to be featured on the Wikipedia Main Page. Nominations must include a reason/justification. My reason is that only one folk musician has ever been the Main Page Feature Article (Dylan - May 17, 2004)....and that since until very recently the Dylan article was the only folk musician article given the "Feature Article" rating I thought it was time for a second folk musician to be featured on the Main Page. I figure the EP article has as good a chance as any other nomination. (There are currently 101 nominations.) To see upcoming Main Page Feature Articles already in the queue:

Upcoming Main Page Feature Articles; (Click >> for the next month)

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Thu Mar 01, 2007 4:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:00 pm

Ellis Paul definitely rates right up there with Star Wars, DNA, and Make Way for the Ducklings.

Sue Ellen

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:30 pm

Can you name the ducklings without looking??!!! This book is the official Children's Book of Massachusetts, while Dr. Seuss is the official Children's author. And now I know (thanks to Wikepedia) That Make Way for Duckling "generated greater awareness of gender role disparity in a male dominated society by showing Mrs. Mallard as indepedent and nonsubmissive female character. " Who Knew?!!

PS.. I love all of Robert McCloskey's books. Especially Blueberries for Sal!!

care

nice job

Postby care » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:08 am

wow karen! great job - so much i didn't know about EP right there at my fingertips for my reading enjoyment.

do you (or anyone else) know where the "ellis" part of his stage name came from?

i'm going to get me a cup of tea and wiki ellis :)

care

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Feb 28, 2007 10:24 am

Oh, a guessing game!!

Care wrote: Do you (or anyone else) know where the "ellis" part of his stage name came from?

This is my GUESS

And, if I may be so bold, that is one sorry Wikipedia article. Maybe Karen should contract her skills?

Sue Ellen
Last edited by Sue Ellen on Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Feb 28, 2007 12:06 pm

Sue Ellen, YES that it one sorry Wikipedia article. Now that I've become a Wiki-addict I may help spruce up the articles of some other folk musicians....hmmm....contract me out, did you say? Now that's an idea. :)

Care, it's my understanding that very simply a friend of Ellis' suggested the name. I don't believe there's any special reason and/or symbolism to it.

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Feb 28, 2007 1:19 pm

Nice guess Sue Ellen!

I had always assumed that he used something that was in a sense close to his real name - 'Plissey' and if you take out the 'p' and the 'y' the remaining letters (anagram) spell 'eliss' so 'Ellis' is sort of a part of his real name???

I'm probably way off beam but I can't help thinking how we (I) make assumptions based on not very much. Guess its the old imagination running wild!!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:05 pm

Jela.....that is so deep. Deep as a soul can go. ;)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 28, 2007 2:11 pm

....and here I thought Ellis was Paul Plissey's middle name. :roll:

That's what I love about this forum. Learn something new almost daily.

Now, the question for me is, do I dare tell my wife. She was, afterall, stunned when she heard the news that Ellis Paul was actually not EP's name.

Decisions, decisions....... :lol:
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Feb 28, 2007 4:43 pm

Heck and I always thought it was because I wrote Ellis #1 in my yearbook!!! Am I physic or what..

Actually the whole neighborhood I grew up in was called Ellis...l

Really I always thought it was derived from Plissy too.

(what sorry wikipedia article are you all referring to?)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:09 pm

Patti,

The one that Sue Ellen linked above. You have to click on the word HERE in her post above. I hate that the board software doesn't change the color of links to make them more visible.....which is why I manually make all my links red. :evil:

KarenZ

Patti wrote:(what sorry wikipedia article are you all referring to?)

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed Feb 28, 2007 5:39 pm

It's actually "Guess" and I edited it to make it HUGE and RED.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:12 pm

DUH! :oops:

:lol:

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:46 pm

I want to learn how to make my links both one word and colorful.

Is it done via the forum software?

Or elsewhere and then pasted in your post?

TIA
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:53 pm

When you post something, you get a bunch of options up above. Or you can do it manually.

In the format below, replace the X with a u, type your web address after the //, replace "url text" with the word you want to show up and VOILA!! You have a a single word a clickable link.

[Xrl=http://url]url text[/url]

To make it a different collor, highlight your text and click on "font colour" above and choose from the menu.

Piece of cake right? Ha Ha!!
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Feb 28, 2007 7:02 pm

Thanks Bonnie.......I think. :lol:

Only time will tell.........I'll give it my best shot. Even if it takes me until next February 29th to figure it out..... :lol:

Seriously...thanks for the tip. It's much appreciated. I'm so old school. :cry:
paddy

wendy

Postby wendy » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:20 pm

Sorry so late to this discussion... I agree that Karen did a fabulous job on the EP entry!

About how the "Ellis" part came to be: I'm sure I heard an interview at one point where he said there happened to be a Red Sox player named Ellis back then, and he liked the name. (forgive me that I have NO idea who the player was... I'm an extremely casual sports fan)

Does anyone else remember that interview?
-wendy

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:53 pm

The player was Ellis Burks, a wonderful and very popular centerfielder when he came up with the team. He was a rookie in 1987, so the timing is about right. I do not recall that interview however.

I had always assumed it had to do with his last name as well, but perhaps that is just a haappy coincidence.
Jeff

care

Postby care » Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:05 am

yay for good discussions:)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Ellis Paul "Feature Article" in Wikipedia!

Postby KarenZ » Wed May 16, 2007 9:16 am

Folks!

It's been a 3-month wait, but we made it! The Ellis Paul article will be featured on the Main Page of the Wikipedia website this coming Tuesday, May 22, 2007! Woo Hoo! :)

KarenZ

KarenZ wrote:Hopefully at some point in the not-too-distant-future the Ellis Paul article will be the Feature Article on the Wikipedia Main Page where each day one Feature Article is featured. I will have to nominate the EP article to be considered for this distinction. The Main Page has more than 2 million page views each day, so if the EP article ever gets there it will be quite a coup. Stay tuned! :)

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Wed May 16, 2007 12:56 pm

Mazol Tov Karen. That is quite the coup and with 2 million views, the Wikipedia Main Page feature of the Ellis Paul article is certain to generate alot of interest. The selection of this article demonstrates the respect with which the powers-that-be view your research and writing.

Sue Ellen

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri May 18, 2007 1:25 pm

Thanks everyone.

I am truly thrilled that not only will this mean lots of visibility for Ellis Paul, but also for folk music in general - since this is only the second time a folk musician has ever been featured on the Main Page - and hopefully garner some interest for the other artists mentioned in the article. A win-win all around. :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon May 21, 2007 8:39 am

Folks,

This is getting exciting. The Wikipedia Feature Article article shows that Mayan languages is today's featured article and that the Ellis Paul article is tomorrow's feature article:

Today's Featured Article

If you go to the link above then click on the right where it says "This month's queue" you'll see the other articles that will be featured this week. The Ellis Paul article is in good company along with Jerusalem, Calvin Coolidge, Tornado, and Smells Like Teen Spirit (a song by the musical group Nirvana). :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon May 21, 2007 8:59 am

One more thing.....

Wikipedia is on Coordinated Universal Time (UTC) also referred to as Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)....which seems to be 4 hours ahead of those of us in the Eastern Time Zone of the United States (EST)....so I'm pretty sure those of us in the EST will see the changover to the Ellis Paul article on the Main page at 8pm this evening.....at least I think so.....

KarenZ

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Mon May 21, 2007 4:50 pm

This just seems so exciting. It boggles my mind to think that close to three million people a day see the feature article...I just have trouble wrapping my mind around such a large number of possible views.

Sue Ellen

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon May 21, 2007 9:15 pm

Ellis' manager Ralph Jaccodine sent us an email about the wikipedia piece set to be on the main page tomorrow. We forwarded that news, as suggested, to others we feel might enjoy both Ellis' music and the wonderful honor of having Ellis Paul as the feature article on Wikipedia.

Congrats to Ellis and company, especially our own Karen Z.

Great work!!! :D
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue May 22, 2007 2:22 am

Great achievement Karen, many congratulations.

Jela

mm

Postby mm » Tue May 22, 2007 9:33 am

Karen!!!!
It's fantastic to see that as the featured page right now on Wikipedia!!!! What a tremendous amount of work that went into that page....I am blown away all over again at the effort and to see the fruit of all your labors. And to honor Ellis and all his musical wonderfulness over the years. Very, very excellent all around.
A HUGE congratulations again. This is very big.

bergie

Wiki article

Postby bergie » Tue May 22, 2007 9:50 am

Karen:

i read the entire missive! You did a great job and we can only hope this builds the Ellis Paul audience even larger! :D

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue May 22, 2007 10:00 am

Looking good! 8)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue May 22, 2007 10:10 am

Thanks everybody! This is one of those moments in life that we all have....when it's impossible not to feel good.! :) ....although the drawback of an article being on the Main Page is that the Wiki vandals (folks who get their jollies vandalizing articles) come out of the woodwork. You may see some vandalism of the article today, but the vandalism police usually have it removed within a minute or two. You can bet I'm keeping an eye out for any funny stuff. :)

KarenZ

wendy

Postby wendy » Tue May 22, 2007 12:46 pm

SUPER job, Karen!
I'd read it before, but enjoyed it again this morning. What a fabulous resource of information about our favorite folk artist!
Thanks for all your hard work 8)
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue May 22, 2007 1:07 pm

Thanks Wendy. :)

Just so everyone knows....the article will always be a work-in-progress. I continue to make revisions and additions as new sources become available....and as Ellis' career continues to unfold, the article will too! I would appreciate it if you all please keep your eyes and ears open for newspaper and magazine articles (or any other sources that can be cited). :)

KarenZ

2bluesboys

Postby 2bluesboys » Tue May 22, 2007 2:34 pm

Karen:

I wanted to let you know that the article is really drawing attention. I just opened my email and found that three different folks (who know we are all Ellis Paul fanatics) had sent me a link to let us know that Ellis Paul was the featured article today.

Great job!!!

Barbara

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue May 22, 2007 2:55 pm

Barb,

Thanks for passing that along! Hopefully that is happening many times over all around the universe! :)

KarenZ

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue May 22, 2007 3:02 pm

I sent out a Myspace bulletin, posted the link on another artist's board and forwarded Ralph's email to most of my address book.

:D

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue May 22, 2007 3:10 pm

Awesome Bonnie! Thanks! :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue May 22, 2007 4:26 pm

...and I've posted a link to the article on a BBC Radio DJ's discussion board - Bob Harris - who's played Ellis before and played my request for his music.

Let's hope it attracts some more 'folkies' to the music of EP.

Jela

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:18 pm

Karen,

Is there any data for the increase in traffic to Ellis' sites or sales based on the article? I know it must have had a huge impact. :D

Return to “Call Out the Paparazzi!”