Ellis Paul "Feature Article" in Wikipedia!

Announcements from Ellis Paul Management.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:12 pm

Bonnie,

Thanks for asking! I love sharing statistics! :)

Before May 22 (the date that the Ellis Paul article was on the Wikipedia Main Page), the record number of 1-day unique visits to the website was 2554. On May 22 the record was broken: 2710. The overall activity on the website has been absolutely nuts. The average number of daily unique visits to the website January through April was 2069. That number increased to 2136 in May (the month of the Wiki Main Page). But things really started going nuts on June 5. The average daily visits from June 1 through 21 is 3343! We have had higher 1-day totals than ever before. It's simply astounding. Ellis had been wanting to break 3000 as a 1-day high for unique visits. The May 22 record (2710) was broken on June 5 - 2848. The next day (June 6) Ellis got his wish and we broke 3000 - resoundingly! - 3480! Since then we have been 3000+ every day except two....and even more shocking is that we've had five days over 4000! We hit a new 1-day high on June 12 - 4735. Now of course *I* want to break 5000! :) The only explanation for the increased activity that makes sense to me is that it's some kind of a residual effect from the Wikipedia article, but I don't really know for sure.

Really gratifying is that ~ 88% of the hits to the website every day (as opposed to unique visits) are direct requests to ellispaul.com or ellispaul.com/discussion. So, obviously, people have those two pages bookmarked. We're talking an average of 26,000 hits per day. Almost all the entry pages to the website are through the discussion board.

Also interesting is seeing how many hits are referrers from Wikipedia. About ten days ago I put links to Ellis' lyrics/website in several Wikipedia articles: John Lennon, Chris McCandless, River Phoenix, Galileo and Pat Tillman, and more recently the article for Into the Wild. In that short period of time there have been 110+ referrers from the John Lennon article, 70+ from Chris McCandless and 50 from Into the Wild (in just two days). The others have also generated some referrers. A very small % of traffic can be attributed to spammers - like maybe 1 or 2%. The other ~10% are legitimate hits from venue websites, festival websites, etc. that have links to ellispaul.com.

I'm actually still waiting to hear how/if sales at CD Freedom have increased.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:39 pm

Folks,

When the wikipedia piece was brought to our attention, way back when, I marveled at the time and effort KarenZ had put in to bring Ellis Paul to the masses who read this fine online information source. Talk about "spread the word." :)

At the time, my computer had a slow dial up connection, which kept me from enjoying some of the links that were included. Looking at it again this morning and with a much faster connection, I clicked on the link that has Ellis sitting down for an interview with Scott Alarik at Boston College.

Anyway, I'm really enjoying this "inside the actors studio" style interview Scott had with Ellis Paul.

I highly recommend clicking on the wikipedia link here, reading all the wonderful info compiled within on Ellis' career, and definitely find and click on the links found within.

Thanks again, Karen. :wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu May 22, 2008 7:22 am

Folks,

Yes! it was one year ago today that the Ellis Paul article was Today's Feature Article on the Main Page of Wikipedia. Couldn't let the anniversary go by without remembering it. (Notice that's it's the photo from Twickenham - from yesterday's trivia.) ;)

Thought you all would enjoy what I think is a hilarious essay written by a Wikipedia editor known as Giano titled:

A fool's guide to writing a feature article

The whole Wiki behind the scene stuff is a world you can truly get lost in. Although it remains the steepest learning curve for me personally, when I go behind the scene (so to speak), I fell like I could put what I know on the head of a needle.... which is why I got a kick out of Giano's essay. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu May 22, 2008 8:58 am

Happy Anniversary, Karen, your work on this board is amazing :)
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

monicar

Postby monicar » Thu May 22, 2008 11:03 am

Mama Mia, that year flew by!!!!

Happy Wiki Anniversary, Karen!

Monica R.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu May 22, 2008 11:40 am

Yeah...that year flew by wiki(d) fast!!! :P

Congrats, thanks again, and Happy First Anniversary, Karen. :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Ellis Paul "Feature Article" in Wikipedia!

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 13, 2010 9:58 am

Folks,

I've been trying for several months to get a good photo of EP "in action" to replace the 4-year old photo in the Wikipedia article infobox (reflecting the short hair, if nothing else!)......and I finally got one Sunday night. It must have been Becky Grider pulling some heavenly strings.....so I am pleased that I was able to caption the photo giving her Winter Wind Concert Series a little nod.....

Check out the new photo! :-)

Ellis Paul in Wikipedia

Another wonderful weekend road trip! :-)

KarenZ

monicar

Re: Ellis Paul "Feature Article" in Wikipedia!

Postby monicar » Wed Oct 13, 2010 10:03 am

Great shot, Karen!

Return to “Call Out the Paparazzi!”