Song of the Fortnight -- October 1, 2007 -- Father to Son

Post messages about Ellis Paul's music, CDs, lyrics, etc. here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Song of the Fortnight -- October 1, 2007 -- Father to Son

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:56 am

Right on time......this was going to start Sept. 10 according to the new schedule for Song of the Fortnight -- time surely flies when you're having fun and even when you're not. I'm often reminded of Harry Chapin's song "Cat's in the Cradle" when my son asks me to have a catch at the very moment sports or exercise or his need to play ball ain't exactly at the top of my long list of things to do....I suspect I have alot to learn, still. I often find so much wisdom in the words and music of singer songwriters like Harry Chapin, Ellis Paul, and countless others.

So it's welcome back to the current: Song of The Fortnight.

Father to Son

When I have my children
A father to my son
A builder of his confidence
Each brick for what he’s done

I will build the highest tower
To the highest, whitest cloud
And put my son upon it
And watch him sitting proudly

It will be my finest hour
The best thing I begun
In my confidence this tower
Has built a man that is my son

Take what you can get
Don’t run from it
These are your father’s eyes
And beware of the mimicking mirror
With widened prisoning eyes

It watches your every subtle step
Every fall and every rise
So know the power of a fist
A promise and a lie
Hardest thing begun
Be father to your son

Copyright Ellis Paul Publishing
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Oct 01, 2007 6:14 pm

Thanks Paddy. This was due to start last Monday - Sept. 24 - but since there seems to be so little interest, I did not make an effort to post it.

I've revised the schedule again. It can be viewed HERE.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Oct 01, 2007 11:06 pm

Thanks Karen, your efforts all over this board are impressive to say the least, and I just want you to know that it does not go unnoticed, although I suppose there are times when one can't help but feel that some threads on the forum are taking a good while to get going. Given the nature of this one, discussing one of Ellis' earliest records, I'm thinking that not that many readers of the forum have this CD or Cassette and for that reason have little to say about the songs we're discussing. Here's hoping this discussion resumes and continues. :D
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:04 am

Thanks Paddy. I'll jump in when I can.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

wendy

Postby wendy » Tue Oct 02, 2007 7:15 am

Thanks Karen, your efforts all over this board are impressive to say the least, and I just want you to know that it does not go unnoticed

Let me jump in here and second that, Paddy :!:
My apologies for "lurking" these past few months. My brain just doesn't seem to be able to keep track of everything these days, or at least not well enough to contribute here very often or constructively. I'm still reading everything frequently, though!

Now on to my short comments on EP's Father and Son:
I like this father/son song rather better that Harry Chapin's, at least partly because it's no where near as depressing. It's a close run with Cat Stevens'... :wink:
I also think it's a tad poignant that Ellis has had daughters to date (though suspect that the same feelings apply) 8)
-wendy

JennyLevE

Postby JennyLevE » Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:29 pm

I was thinking the same thing about the daughters -- it is at least slightly ironic.
Anyway -- more soon -- I am fast approaching midterms and life is getting a little crazy!
--Jen
“Tell me which part
Is it the CASTLE, or the SAND
That you miss when the TIDE comes along?”
-- Ellis Paul

Return to “Breakin' Through the Radio”