The Dragonfly Races (CD)

Post messages about Ellis Paul's music, CDs, lyrics, etc. here.

Moderator: Moderator

JennyLevE

The Dragonfly Races (CD)

Postby JennyLevE » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:37 am

Does anyone know when THE DRAGONFLY RACES is going to be released :?: The EP newsletter last night said soon, but no specifics! I'm really excited to hear most of the songs. I think that I have heard one or two in concert, but that is about all I know about the "family" album. I'm also excited to see all the "illustrations" for the album which should be special as well.
--Jen
“Tell me which part
Is it the CASTLE, or the SAND
That you miss when the TIDE comes along?”
-- Ellis Paul

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:51 am

I was thinking from the email that it would be released in November around the time of the Somerville Theater show. I inadvertenly deleted it so I can't even pull up what led me to believe that but I think he said he was debuting it at that show so my brain (my tired brain!) led me to think that would coincide with the release. :)
"Nobody can dim the light which shines from within." ~ Maya Angelou

JennyLevE

Postby JennyLevE » Fri Sep 07, 2007 6:59 pm

I am listening to EP on NHPR and he just mentioned that the new album will be coming out in October :!:
--Jen
“Tell me which part

-- Ellis Paul

Mtn Gal

Postby Mtn Gal » Fri Sep 07, 2007 8:03 pm

Even better! My kids are so excited!! Thanks for the info, Jen. :D
"Nobody can dim the light which shines from within." ~ Maya Angelou

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Sep 07, 2007 9:51 pm

The "TOUR DATES" page indicates that the Somerville show is a CD Release show for the Dragon Fly Races.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 24, 2007 1:16 pm

Folks,

Just for you members of the board (and other lucky passers-by), here's a close-to-being-finished (but not quite) illustration of Dusty for the upcoming release of The Dragonfly Races!

Go Dusty Go! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Sep 24, 2007 3:29 pm

Rumor has it that there was a sneak preview at his show on Friday night. :mrgreen:
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Sep 24, 2007 4:10 pm

Is that dragonfly off to the races....??? :lol:

Where did he go???

Great looking Album cover....by Ellis I presume??? :D

Is the photo coming back or was that a one time teaser.....? :wink:

Oh, there, he's back....whew!!! :)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 24, 2007 6:24 pm

Paddy,

Yes, the illustrations in the forthcoming CD are all Ellis-originals. Or maybe I should say EPoriginals. ;)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 25, 2007 5:24 am

I was pretty sure they were going to be Ellisoriginals artwork.

YEPoriginals.....gotta love that...Joni used to do the artwork for her LPs. 8)
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:47 am

Dan Fogelberg too :) !
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 25, 2007 7:00 am

Captured Angel, right?.....an early fave here.
paddy

Patti

Postby Patti » Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:01 am

and Souvenirs!!

To bad that Dan has kind of dropped off the musical radar, I know he was sick with cancer. He is one artist that I think is so brilliant though his hits never showcased his true talent.
Last edited by Patti on Tue Sep 25, 2007 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:18 am

The one thing I can honestly say I disliked about Dan Fogelberg back in the day:

All the girls in my high school class thought he hung the moon, ya know, found him swoonworthy, and I knew, with the benchmark set that high, there was no way in hell them girls was gonna look my way twice.....

Thanks Dan..really!!! Not to mention your twin brother from another mother....he didn't help either. :roll:

:lol:
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Oct 02, 2007 5:28 pm

Folks,

You can listen to four songs from the new forthcoming CD on the Dragonfly Races MySpace! :)

Dragonfly Races on MySpace

KarenZ

JennyLevE

Postby JennyLevE » Tue Oct 02, 2007 10:32 pm

Awesome -- thanks so much, Karen! :wink:
--Jen
“Tell me which part

-- Ellis Paul

Patti

Postby Patti » Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:12 pm

All the songs sound great, I love that Ralph and Flynn's kids sing background. This will be a great CD to give out as a gift this holiday season!

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:29 am

Just saw there are some new songs on Myspace from Dragonfly Races... !!

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Oct 11, 2007 10:31 am

Loving the sound of Abiola!!!

Sue Ellen must be hard to wipe the smile off your face!!!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Oct 11, 2007 11:21 pm

Had to laugh the other day as I was driving along and saw the sign for a restaurant near my wife's office. In the 3 years we haved lived here we have dined at the place maybe twice. And whatdya know, it's called:

Wabi Sabi

:D
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Oct 12, 2007 8:08 am

I love the production of "The Dragon Fly Races." The sounds of the crowd cheering are perfect. And I'm finally resigned to the fact that Dusty is an XY.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:22 pm

Just heard several more songs from The Dragonfly Races tonight over on Ellis' myspace...complete with lyrics no less. I love Pinwheel..there's a part where the production has Ellis' voice go new agey and it so reminds me of Ashes To Dust on legacy ii .....my intro to Ellis Paul. :)

Lovin Wabi Sabi, too. Ellis has got that Ray Bonneville guitar slapping thing going on at the beginning( think "two bends in the road" 8) ) Then it goes a bit calypso as the kids voices chime in,
and to top it off, on the outro chorus, Ellis' voice takes off and I swear it felt like he was singing a song from Disney's The Lion King.

Nice job there guys......very nice. :D

www.myspace.com/ellispaul
paddy

monicar

Postby monicar » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:29 am

I find myself regularly listening to "I Like To Swing!"

My youngest is now 12, but I told her when the CD arrives, I am putting the speaker in the window and she has to swing with me while we listen to that song. Figure that way maybe the neighbors won't think I've lost my mind, but should anyone ask if I've lost my mind, I plan on saying "Nopedy Dope!"

:lol:

Monica R.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Nov 06, 2007 3:25 pm

Patti wrote:I am really looking forward to giving this CD to lots of friends with kids. I just KNOW they are going to love it. I am also donating a copy to my public library. While I was at the library the other day I asked the libriarian to play the songs from the MYSPACE demo. She really liked what she heard. I'm sure the CD will get lots of play and probably some kiddie craft and activities will be done with some different songs from the CD and book.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Nov 07, 2007 9:14 am

Have any of you all listened to "Because it's there" on Ellis' MySpace? I think it may be my current favorite (I can't get the chorus out of my head!) from Dragonfly Races....followed closely by "Abiola". :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:05 am

Folks,

Terrific review of The Dragonfly Races in this morning's Boston Globe:

Boston Globe - Nov. 15, 2007

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:00 pm

thanks Karen...

Reading a review like that makes you say... "yup...that's why "they're" the writer"... Scott really hit the nail on the head in that quick but accurate summary.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:57 pm

Folks,

Check out www.ellispaul.com! :)

KarenZ

Becky

Postby Becky » Thu Nov 15, 2007 3:09 pm

Thanks for posting the link, Karen! Wish I could be at the show this weekend...it sounds like it will be fabulous. :D
Btw, my current favorite on "Dragonfly Races" is "Abiola." It's perfect all the way around...and what a great message. I love it.
Becky

BillE

Postby BillE » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:12 pm

Just got my copies last week. Coincidentally, my twins have a music day at school, and they get to bring a CD to school to play a song. They don't have a favorite yet, so I suggested Dragonfly Races and Million Chameleon March (my favorites). I'll be interested in the responses from their teachers...

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Nov 28, 2007 2:59 pm

Bill,

Please do let us know how the songs go over with the kids and teachers! :)

KarenZ

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:26 pm

barb62 wrote:Hi Everyone,

I received my copy today and it is fabulous! It is great to finally have a recorded version of "9 months to save the world." The last track is adorable - don't want to ruin the surprise for anyone - all I'll say is Ellis has a lot of help singing this one!

Ellis's drawings are exceptional. I can't wait to give this CD to my niece for christmas.

Bravo to Flynn as well for producing another great Ellis CD as well as helping out on some of the singing!

I give this one a A+++++++++++++

Barb62

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:27 pm

wendy wrote:Hooray! Mine came yesterday, too and got some good listens before I was dragged away to other things. Great music and I am so glad I ordered several for friends and family (a no-brainer gift idea!) :wink:

My current favorite is Abiola... but I think each and every one will grow on me, especially when favorite nieces and nephews are singing along...

The illustrations are wonderful, too and must have been great fun for Ellis to create. (I also love the dragonfly that now buzzes around this web site. Obviously one of Dusty's compatriots)

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:28 pm

paddyinthepub wrote:This new CD...The Dragonfly Races.....in a word.....delivers. For fans of Ellis' old stuff, you are in for a treat. Word is, Ellis will release a CD of more stripped down acoustic stuff next, but I would say this is the release to focus on at the moment. It's great for kids, there's no questioning that, but i'm noticing just how much fun this big kid (yours truly) enjoys hitting play and cranking it up (when it's okay to do so.) It's nice to have a family record that appeals to a broad base, that's to say it's fun for the kids and also their adult counterparts (parents and aunt's and uncles, oh my!!!)

This record will appeal to all fun loving music loving kid loving road trip taking fans of all walks and ages. I can't believe my ears sometimes when I'm listening to this record, it's that good!!!) I read recently that Ellis has not been this excited about a new release since "Stories" came out 15 years ago and now I can see and hear why he would make such a claim.

My favorites are all over this record.

Wabi Sabi sounds even better LOUD.

Lil Red Rose, done barbershop quartet style (a tribute to his dad) is really special and allows Ellis a chance to link his future with his past.... :wink:

Pinwheel, style wise reminds me of another Ellis song: Ashes to Dust.

The Million Chameleon March, with Vance, is really colorful, love it.

Road Trip is a fun travelling song.

The Dragonfly Races inspires us to try, as does Because It's There.

Abiola with Antje Duvekot is great on so many levels. :wink:

The Bed Song is fun and rings bells so true.

I Lost A Day To The Rain is another sleeper here. I enjoyed the collaboration with Darryl Purpose.

I Like to Swing is fun, too -- although at my age, nope a dee dope! :lol:

The addition of a poem, The Star Inside The Apple is a nice touch, and at last a recorded version of 9 months to fix the world , especially the catch phrase borrowed from a certain comedian. :lol:

The duet that closes out the record, with skies so blue, is precious.

I could go and on....but I'm gonna go listen to one of my favorite new records again, instead. It's called The Dragonfly Races, it's Ellis' new Family record, and it's a winner. For young and old alike, long time fans and first time listeners. You'll love it....I know I do. :D

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:29 pm

Patti wrote:Paddy,

Great review, did you put that on Amazon? Where else can reviews be posted?

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:29 pm

paddyinthepub wrote:Thanks Patti...went out to Amazon y'day -- it's not there, yet. When I watched the Fox 25 Boston videos again today, Ellis said the new record would be available "everywhere" after the new year, so perhaps that's when it will be in wide release and out on Amazon. I did not see a chance to leave a review on cd freedom either, although it's definitely for sale there.

Picked up The Dragonfly Races on "Black Friday" when I saw Ellis at Eddie's Attic in Decatur, Ga.

When I handed Essentials and The Dragonfly Races to our gracious host in Alpharetta, Ga. she immediatley opened them and popped them in the multi disc player. A few bars into hearing Ellis for the very first time a-l-a Wabi Sabi from the new one, she said:

Nice Voice!!!

:D

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:30 pm

paddyinthepub wrote:One sure sign of a good record is how motivated I am to clean house while the CD plays from start to finish. It has a habit of taking the "work" out of the equation. With the volume UP as The Dragonfly Races played, I can say unequivocally that this album is a winner!!! And my sparkling kitchen and wife have Ellis, Vance, Antje, Billy and Darryl to thank for it.

Let's see, am I forgetting anyone here? Oh yeah, Flynn!!! For a simply outstanding sounding record from start to finish. WOW, it's really quite the production, taking Ellis' strong guitar playing and vocals, then adding just the right amount of "magic" in the form of players, voices, and atmosphere.

Bravo, Flynn!!! Great Job.

ella, too!!! :D

Congrats all, one of the best records in the genre, I'd say.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:31 pm

paddyinthepub wrote:
Patti wrote:
Do I have to wait till Christmas to give them as presents???

12 days of Christmas
8 candles on the Menora for Hanukkah
Everyday thanks giving and spreading joy.

It's a personal thing, of course, but I'd say:

"nope a dee dope" :D

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:31 pm

KarenZ wrote:Good one Paddy. Too funny. I find myself saying "nope a dee dope" a good bit lately also. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub wrote:"nope a dee dope" :D

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:32 pm

bonuela wrote:Nope a dee dope is clearly the Board's new catch phrase.

Dripping cool? Nope a dee dope, that one's so last year. :lol:

KarenZ
Site Admin

paddyinthepub wrote::lol:

it's nope a dee dope alright!!!

KarenZ
Site Admin

danaj wrote:Impatiently waiting until Sunday to get my hands on a copy or 3. My 3 month old niece is getting this one for Christmas, along with my 9 yr. old daughter, who requested it specifically. :D Can't wait, can't wait!

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:09 pm

Great idea, Karen. I was wondering when you were going to move those over here and knew surely it was only a matter of time. :D
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Dec 03, 2007 5:38 pm

Thanks for the vote of confidence. :)

KarenZ

Patti

Postby Patti » Mon Dec 03, 2007 6:06 pm

I GOT mine the other day!! I haven't given them out as presents yet,but when I do I am going to include a copy of Ellis's description of the song origins, printed on nice paper to tuck inside!! I also asked at the library if they can spotlight it in the newsletter column of "what's new at the library" :)

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Dec 04, 2007 10:30 am

By the way.....hats off to those responsible for the overall design of the Dragonfly Races. The packaging, cover, liner notes, lyrics, ect. make it a really nice addition to the ol' record collection and as fun to look at and follow along as it is to listen to. :D
paddy

JennyLevE

Little Red Rose

Postby JennyLevE » Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:38 pm

I am particularly fond of Little Red Rose. I love the a capella harmonies. The song is just amazing! It's a great big sister song (as a big sister -- I guess it hits home even harder) and the last part is just a great message of world peace and global cohabitation. Ellis has such a compelling voice, I can (and do) listen to him for hours upon hours nonstop. This song showcases not only his great voice but also his uniquely eloquent writing (even in a children's song).

I had also never heard Nine Months to Fix the World until I was riding home from Ellis' Joe's Pub concert in Shari's car and she played it for me. I am so sorry that I missed the shows where he played it live-- it must have been amazing to see/hear. Needless to say, as soon as I got back to my dorm room I put that song a repeat until I had learned every word. Then I went home for Thanksgiving and was singing the song in the kitchen while helping my mom and sister with dinner preparation. They thought that I was crazy because I couldn't stop singing or humming it. There is such a great message in this one, also.

Well those are my 2 favorites though Road Trip and Million Chameleon March are up there.

Also, I melt every single time I hear Ella on the bonus track. It is just too sweet!
--Jen
“Tell me which part

-- Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Dec 14, 2007 1:32 pm

Folks,

You've had those copies of Dragonfly Races for a while now......any favorite songs? Lines of lyrics? I honestly don't know which song is my favorite....I love them all! I do especially love to sing along on "road trip" and "because it's there"....love hearing Dusty win the race each time (even though I know the outcome!) ;) ........love "Abiola" storming the town with bravery, truth and kindness.....can't help smile on "the bed song".....it's impossible not to grin from beginning to end! And little Ella's voice is just precious. :)

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Dec 14, 2007 2:38 pm

For some reason (actually I know why) I think my favorite song on the record is "Pinwheel." I love the tinkling guitar and the "effect" on Ellis' voice that brings to mind an old classic "Ashes to Dust." To top it off, I can't help but make a connection to another EP classic "Look at the Wind Blow."

To tell the truth, the lies are a nice touch, too.

lie di, lie da da da lie dee die..... :wink:

Can we assume the lyrics will be on the site soon? :D

I could have used them on the line above.... :?
paddy

AndaleOrbea

Postby AndaleOrbea » Fri Dec 14, 2007 4:24 pm

THE FEARSOME BEAST IS KIND!

I like them all too and I especially like I Lost a Day to the Rain :lol: We got to see EP play the song live with Darryl Purpose in Fort Collins and Denver in September and Darryl was great - well they both were, but that really goes without saying for EP. I recall a comment on Darryl's web site that suggests that his audience can't come up with any other people who did make something of themselves - I've thought about it, and I came up with Dr. Frankenstein - I wonder what he would do with that?

Return to “Breakin' Through the Radio”