Lyrics to "Once Upon a Summertime"

Post messages about Ellis Paul's music, CDs, lyrics, etc. here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Lyrics to "Once Upon a Summertime"

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:21 pm

Folks,

If you haven't listened to the new song "Summertime' currently on Ellis' MySpace, I would encourage you to do so while it's still there! What a wonderful song. I love the line "like a song I'd like to crank you." :)

Summertime

Verse 1
That night on your roof
I had a sweet tooth
You brought chocolate
I brought strawberry wine
You’re waiting on the sky dusk
On the 4th of July
You kept my hands from crossing the line
And the fireworks exploded
That night it was recorded
Like a movie play in the back of my mind
And I‘d just like to thank you
Like a song I‘d like to crank you
When I think about summertime

Verse 2
At the drive-in we’d meet
In the Buick’s back seat
We’d find the Cracker Jack prize in the dark
Back home your father’d come out
And say “what was the movie about?”
I said “a ghost” – you said “a great white shark”
Did I dream you like some vision
I loved you like religion
Like a prophet – I said you’d be mine
Now I’m singing halleluia
Ain’t love so peculiar?
When spring turns into summertime

Bridge
Love couldn’t lose
How could you refuse
Had the whole world before us
Nobody saying “pay up your dues”
The sky [stars] was aflame
I carved our names
Beneath a magnolia
I told you my heart wouldn’t change
Holding the line
Like it’s summertime

[Repeat bridge with change noted in brackets]

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Mon Feb 05, 2007 2:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Jan 23, 2007 8:39 pm

This is quickly becoming a favorite of mine. I can't believe how lucky I am to have heard it so many times already.

You singled out my favorite line Karen. It is followed closely by:

Back home your father’d come out
And say “what was the movie about?”
I said “a ghost” – you said “a great white shark”
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:35 pm

That has to be my favorite line too, Bonnie. I like to keep quiet when Ellis sings his songs, of course unless he asks us to sing along, like in 3000 miles, or when he has a cold and asks his audience for support.

Ellis sang this song at Tin Angel on Saturday night, and when he got to this line, I could not help myself, I laughed out loud. It's such a beautiful lilting song, all the way through, but the humor in that line just cracks me up.

For Ellis afficianados and historians, those who are aware of Ellis' age as it relates to his high school years, as I assume is where this love story takes place, might lead to the conclusion that two of the possible movies playing at the Drive-In movie that night were "Ghost" with Demi Moore and Patrick Swasey - or - One of the many movies Steven Spielberg made in his series of movies featuring "Jaws."

"You said a ghost, I said a great white shark." :lol:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:07 pm

Jaws was released in 1975, Ghost in 1990. If this is autobiographical, 10 would have been a little young for the drive-in and 25 a little old to be nervous about a woman's dad.
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:13 pm

"Poltergeist" and "Jaws 3" (both 1982) would fit. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Tue Jan 23, 2007 10:54 pm

But Jaws III was a classic. Who would risk missing a second of that for a little smooch in the back seat? :shock:

(sorry. i guess i am in a silly mood today.)
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Jan 24, 2007 5:05 am

He He - well this discussion has brought a cheer to my face on this cold snowy morning here in the UK.

The more I hear this song, the more I like it.....there's something about it that takes me back to when I was a young girl.......sometimes it's just nice to let a song 'be' and just enjoy it at face value.

A lovely, gentle song....and I'm so pleased that I heard it sung live four times at Passims over New Year.

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jan 24, 2007 7:02 am

And I'm really happy that some nice folks put "summertime" and "paper dolls" on a CD for me - even though I'm now OCD on both. ;)

KarenZ

wendy

Postby wendy » Wed Jan 24, 2007 8:18 am

Karen! You lucky duck!
By the time I got back to the Myspace site, Paperdolls had been removed :(

I also like the lines mentioned above, and laugh out-out with Paddy at the movie topics... :D
-wendy

coloradorobyn

Postby coloradorobyn » Sun Feb 11, 2007 10:26 pm

will somone message me and tell me what extra secret software I need to PLAY Summertime?
how can I play it incessantly and make Ellis Paul converts if I can't get it on my MP3 player and computer?

makin' my mission difficult here.....

one crabby woman who chipped ice for two hors today
(boy that Swallow Hill Listing for next September better be confirmed....)
see? crabby! :shock:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Lyrics to "Once Upon a Summertime"

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 30, 2008 9:51 am

Does anyone remember what the line is that replaced my favorite line "Like a song I'd like to crank you"? :evil: I think it's something like "for a thousand nights that rang true". :?

:mrgreen:

KarenZ

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:31 pm

Karen - we have a recording from a radio show (don't ask!) and it's 'for a sacred night that rang true'

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Jul 30, 2008 1:35 pm

Oh Jela, girl. You ROCK! :)

Thank you!

KarenZ

Return to “Breakin' Through the Radio”