Song Of The Week - Nov. 20, 2006 - Take All The Sky You Need

Post messages about Ellis Paul's music, CDs, lyrics, etc. here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Song Of The Week - Nov. 20, 2006 - Take All The Sky You Need

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Nov 20, 2006 8:12 am

Okay, It's my turn to try and do justice to yet another of Ellis Paul's soul searching songs in the form of Take All The Sky You Need. I will likely be flying by the seat of my pants here, and that's okay, it's been done before.

I signed on for this song when the call went out for volunteers, and jumped on it for a few reasons. One was to do my part to help the cause. I had my eye on a few other songs further down the list, ones I had a better handle on and could perhaps do more justice to. The main reason I took this one, in all honesty, was the fact that every time this song played in my car on the original version found on American Jukebox Fables, I would look in the rearview mirror and see my 6 year old son singing the chorus: If you want to run, I'll pack my suitcase, and if you want to stay I'll make a front door key.......ahh, the innocence of youth. Little does he know, and rightfully so, that some time in his life he will likely be face to face with these kind of decisions. So, there it is, and here I am, with the pressure on.

I still dont have a copy of Ellis Paul Essentials, and I'm pretty sure the version of this song has not changed from it's original appearance on American Jukebox Fables. I took a look at the lyrics for this song a few days ago and realized again that Ellis is a master of saying more with less. The lyrics are few, but the point is made just the same. He proves to me that often "less is more".

This song addresses the point in a relationship where the two people involved have come to realize that maybe they could use a little space. We've all been there, haven't we? I know I have. The funny thing about it is, oftentimes we might say to the other: you need space, sure, I understand, please, go, take some time. Have your space. What most of us hope will happen tho is that the time apart will only bring them to realise just how much they love us and want to be back in our lives for the long run.

Not in this song. Nope. Not the way I see it anyway. This is giving your partner the kind of space he/she really needs to figure out what it is they want in life and love and relationship and whether or not the other fits his/her idea of the person they see themselves with forever.

There's giving space and then there's giving space: I mean, what a sentiment........take all the sky you need. That's generous and truly allowing someone the time and space to figure it out.

Take All the Sky You Need
from the album Ellis Paul Essentials

You turn a blue eye to me and you look right through me
You said define what you think freedom means... if you want freedom
We can wake up this lullaby town
Burn through every red light I found
Lift a dust cloud
Break the speed of sound...
you could break free

[chorus]
If you want to run I'll pack my suitcase
If you want to stay I'll make a front door key
And if you need space... to fly... free
Take all the sky you need

I stand on the rooftops; I look down on my story
And it swallows me
Beyond the horizon, the taillights, the glories,
Will you follow me?
(Freedom) I need to know who I am
(Freedom) I'm like a moth in your hand
(Sweet freedom) do I fly or stand?
Or fall on my knees?

[repeat chorus]

[spoken bridge]

[repeat chorus]

Copyright Ellis Paul Publishing SESAC

There are a few lyrics here that feel like old friends. Being up on rooftops, looking down on my stories.....lifting dust clouds...breaking the speed of sound.....fall on my knees. I recall Ellis saying once that one of his new favorite songwriters is a Canadian by the name of Ray Bonneville. It's just before he sings a cover of Ray's "Two Bends In The Road" and Ellis says he's stealing everything he can from him. In Ray's song is the lyric:"butterfly in the
wind, you don't know how fragile his wings are."
I think there might be evidence that Ellis did just that with his lyric: "I'm like a moth in your hand."

I did not spend tons of time preparing to lead the discussion on this song and it likely shows. Hec, Frank Lloyd Wright drew up the final plans for one of his most famous designs, Falling Water, while his client Mr. Kauffman was in the car driving over to see the plans Mr. Wright had just assured him by phone were complete and ready to be viewed.

So there's that kind of flying by the seat of one's pants. And then there's the kind of flying by the seat of one's pants that Chuck Yeager, test pilot, used to do. I bring this up here and now because Chuck Yeager was instrumental in the early days of of the U.S. space program. Seems like those boys were allowed to do just what Ellis is saying here in song:

"If you need space, to fly, free........take all the sky you need."

Forgive a native Houstonian for bringing NASA into the discussion, but I grew up in the shadows of the Johnson Space Center in Houston. And it occurred to me that the title of this song and sentiment knew no boundary.

I could listen to this song over and over and still find new things to say about it like how much I enjoy Flynn and Rachael Davis' contributions to it or the part where Ellis turns rapper in the bridge. But enough of what I think about the song. Let's hear what yous guys have to say about it.

Thanks everybody.
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Mon Nov 20, 2006 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:46 pm

Thanks Paddy. Flying by the seat of one's pants translates into spontaneity, which is fine by me. ;)

I'm not going to say much about this song...only one or two memories attached to it. In August 2004 I was one person in a group of about 35 who spent a "weekend with a folkie" in Stowe,VT....and the folkie was Ellis Paul. :) Ellis was in the throes of working on American Jukebox Fables and was gracious enough to share several demo recordings of 3 songs that would be on the forthcoming CD to be released in April the following year. We all left there with a copy of the demo CD. One of the songs on the demo CD was "Take all the sky". The other songs were "jukebox", and "home". I left Stowe with 2 traveling companions heading east to Maine...a 5 or 6 hour drive....and, of course, we wanted to hear the new songs on the EP demo CD.....so we plugged it into the CD player. We listened to the 3 songs once...twice....three times....four times....at some point I asked if we wanted to put something else in....and was met with a resounding "NO!". :) So we kept on listening to those 3 songs. One hour. Two hours. Three hours. Over and over. Four hours. Five hours. Later we timed how long it took to listen to one rotation of the 3 songs to figure out how many times we heard each song that day. As I recall, we figured we heard each song close to 40 times on that drive. :) (Then, of course, there was the drive back.) ;)

I remember at one point saying "Hey....if she wants to run, shouldn't he be packing HER bag???" Sometimes I still think that would be the bigger gesture. But are any of us that secure in a relationship?

A great song...another classic Ellis Paul. (Seems to be a recurring comment lately.) :-) Love the sonar sound which is so very effective.....I guess it's a keyboard.

KarenZ
Last edited by KarenZ on Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Tue Nov 21, 2006 2:52 am

Thank you Paddy for your insights. My brain is full lately, and kind of sluggish, so the only thing I can add about this song is that I really, really like it. I'm relieved for and appreciate your insights and Karen's memories.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:59 pm

Thanks Paddy for your comments and observations about the song - phew!

Not quite sure how to follow up so I'll just say what it means to me.....its about giving someone the space to be even if that doesn't accord with what the 'giver' really wants to do. Maybe, by saying 'take all the sky you need' they are hoping that the 'recipient' will not actually want to seek new horizons and the couple will stay together in their 'lullaby town' (incidentally, what a wonderful description) but its a brave soul who takes such a huge risk knowing that they may lose their partner to the bigger world out there.

On the other hand perhaps they think that if they let them go now so that they can satisy that longing for something more, they may return one day, but its a huge risk. Sometimes we have to do what we think is best for the other person even if it breaks our own heart to do so - I guess that's partly what love is about.

It strikes a personal chord because one of my brothers recently emigrated to the other side of the world (Australia) and whilst I know that I do and will miss him like mad, I helped him to prepare all the official documenation so that he could get residency there. Of course I didn't want him to go but it's what he wanted and had been talking about it for so long that it wasn't fair to do anything other than support him in his quest.

He, and indeed all of us have got to live our own lives rather than living it for other people and this is what the song also suggests to me.

The more I think about the song, the more I read into it..........that's Ellis Paul for you!!!

Jela

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:35 am

Folks,

Patti asked me to post this for her since she's having trouble replying.

KarenZ

Patti wrote:Nice job Paddy... I'll never be able to post how I feel about songs in such details, but I usually agree with all that is said about them.

DING..... after reading this post I happen to check my email from Southwest Airlines, with the featured destination Denver... There is a picture of someone skiing with a big beautiful sky in the background... DING.... it hit me....this song would work great for any airline advertisment!!! Seriously...who do we tell.. I say next time you are flying be sure to have this song on your IPOD!!!..AND as long as I am thinking of ways to get Ellis' music out in the advertising world...lets send 3000 miles to JiffyLube!!!

Happy Thanksgiving all.... I'll be busy preparing (yikes) the big meal at my house this year... :)
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Nov 23, 2006 12:27 am

Karen, as the late great Bob Hope would sing: Thanks, for the memories!

Sue Ellen, was feelin a bit sluggish myself this week and unfortunately, a bit scattered when I sat down to kick this off. My apologies to all for going on and on about it. Your patience and kind words are appreciated.

Jela, best use of the term "phew" I've seen in ages. Thanks for sharing your insights on the song as well as your personal connection thru your brother's desire to give Australia a go. I say good for him. One of my brothers heard California calling at age 18 and lived there until he was 40.

Patti, you hit it right on the head, it would be grand to see/hear Ellis' songs as popular advertising jingles. Imagine a popular ad campaign that just takes the country by storm and leads them to the music of Ellis Paul. :D I like the way you think. I hope everyone, including you, will grab a SOTW to lead on down the line. You can do it Patti, details or not, I'm finding the anecdotes, memories, and personal connections to these songs to be as interesting and important as the opening remarks. (See Above) :wink:

Now to turn this discussion as Ellis might say: "round on a dime."

I've been lookin hard at these lyrics and tryin my best to understand completely the story here as Ellis is tellin it.

Hang on to your hats folks, because this is one scenario I came up with that I cannot seem to shake:

This might just be a soul searching conversation a man is having with himself. With his freedom. Try the song and lyrics removing the woman from the equation and you'll see just what I mean.

It works in that light for me. A man having a heart to heart with himself about the freedom he relishes and whether to hang on to it or not.
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:55 am

Jela,

Wow...what a perfect example of giving someone needed space! I hope you get to travel to Australia to visit your brother someday. That's a country I'd love to visit someday. Maybe Adrian will show us around a bit. :)

KarenZ

Richard + Jela wrote:It strikes a personal chord because one of my brothers recently emigrated to the other side of the world (Australia) and whilst I know that I do and will miss him like mad, I helped him to prepare all the official documenation so that he could get residency there. Of course I didn't want him to go but it's what he wanted and had been talking about it for so long that it wasn't fair to do anything other than support him in his quest.
Jela

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:30 pm

KarenZ....I like the sonar sound as well. Very effective Indeed. Sonar sounds are used to measure the depths, which I believe is why it fits in this song so well. The decision at hand about his freedom seems to have our main character feelin pretty low. He seems to be searching deep for the answer.............the sonar is a subtle metaphor maybe.
paddy

Return to “Breakin' Through the Radio”