Ellis Paul guitar tunings

Post messages about Ellis Paul's music, CDs, lyrics, etc. here.

Moderator: Moderator

guild-d55

Ellis Paul guitar tunings

Postby guild-d55 » Sun Nov 12, 2006 2:19 pm

anyone who wants to know how to play his songs i can help a great deal with. i am a performer and i play a bunch of his stuff. ellis only uses a few tunings and then you just have to find the key its in. his most popular is open c# which is c#g#c#fg#c#. another is c#g#c#d#a#c#-a la conversation with a ghost. 3000 miles is c#g#c#f#a#c#. an older tuning is called low b. used on last call-b-f#-c#-f#-a#-c#. there are plenty of sites that will show you popular chords for these tunings. if you have any questions please feel free to ask.

JayceK

Postby JayceK » Mon Nov 13, 2006 2:41 pm

http://www.museweb.com/ag/tunings/fm_tunings.html

That site has a BUNCH of guitar tunings including some of Ellis Paul's. It's good to have another guitar player on the board. I'm curious, do you write any songs of you're own? I've been trying to write songs lately and have been getting quite frustrated.
"Better to have lived in hope than to never have lived at all!"

guild-d55

Postby guild-d55 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:54 pm

i do write my own songs but sometimes i get stuck on things to write about. i have more music than lyrics but i hope that will change. i hope to finally record some stuff i feel good about and put it on myspace page soon.

Tod

Postby Tod » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:32 pm

Another guitar player checking in...

If you haven't checked out the 3,000 Miles DVD, there is a special feature section on the DVD where Ellis discusses his tunings and shows some examples of how he plays a few songs. It's rather informative.

I have to say I had to watch it several times to figure out some of the things he is explaining (mostly due to my being unfamiliar with some of the alternative tunings). The discussion of his "high strung" guitar is particularly interesting.

JayceK

Postby JayceK » Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:38 pm

Yea I love that DVD so much I hope he does another one. I'm kind of in the same boat, I want to write a few songs that I'm somewhat proud of written and then put up a myspace page. My biggest problem is integrating the lyrics and the music. It's hard for me not to strum the guitar with every syllable or word. I'm frustrated but I'm trying, I just hope I get off this plateau soon.
"Better to have lived in hope than to never have lived at all!"

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:31 pm

As a non-guitar player, I have watched that part of the DVD like a foreign film. It might as well be in Mandarin as far as my comprehenshion goes. :lol:

At least now I get the general concept after having heard him explain it at a show. :D
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

Return to “Breakin' Through the Radio”