Song of the Week volunteers

Post messages about Ellis Paul's music, CDs, lyrics, etc. here.

Moderator: Moderator

Becky

Postby Becky » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:34 pm

I like this idea, too. A week does seem too short to me as well. I always read everyone's comments, but with my schedule, it seems like I'm always about a week behind so hardly ever get around to posting. There's still lots of songs yet to discuss.....

Becky

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Jun 20, 2007 9:47 pm

I agree, and I like going back to the begining and doing a CD at a time.

wendy

Postby wendy » Thu Jun 21, 2007 7:03 am

I agree and agree and agree!
- too busy, don't want to repeat what's already been said, one every fortnight or even month, etc. :wink:

Could we please start at the VERY beginning? (Urban Folksongs?)
I promise I'll do my best to participate more. I definitely read everything!
Thanks.
-wendy

SusanH

Postby SusanH » Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:42 pm

I agree completely, I don't get to log on as much as I'd like to, and every fortnight sounds great. This way I can start to actually participate!
Susan

danaj

Postby danaj » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:59 pm

I agree with everyone before me... I too don't get a chance to log on as often as I like, as Real Life seems to keep me away from my online friends more frequently than not.
Also, love the "Song of the Fortnight" idea. The whole having-more-time-to-read-and-respond thing sounds great!
And agreement again with Patti and wendy and Sue Ellen and paddy... Starting from the VERY beginning would be wonderous. I'm just getting a chance to hear some of the very first CD's, since I started my rapidly growing Ellis collection with Sweet Mistakes and went backward from there in my purchasing :wink: I'd love to hear everyone else's take on the older stuff.
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jun 22, 2007 9:29 am

Folks,

Wow....thanks everybody for the comments. It seems to me that we have a consensus! :)

We will begin again with Song of the Fortnight starting with the early Ellis stuff: Urban Folksongs followed by Am I Home. I'd like to take a bit of a break, but also don't want to take too long of a break that we end up losing our momentum. How about if we re-start on July 2? A new Song of the Fortnight will begin every other Monday. I will count on one of you to simply post the lyrics on Monday morning. The person who posts the lyrics does not have to add any commentary at that point (but of course you can if you want to!), but can post comments at a later date...or never for that matter. That way there's no pressure. If I see that no one has posted the lyrics by Monday noon, I'll try to post them. As we progress through the CDs, we'll skip over songs that are on Essentials since those songs were recently discussed.

So....starting on July 2 and continuing, the schedule would be:

(Is this the correct track order? I copied them from the website - and I don't remember "Ashes to Dust" being first.....)

July 2 - Ashes To Dust
July 16 - Photograph
July 30 - Urban Girlfriend
Aug. 13 - Broke and Hungry
Aug. 27 - Clock
Sept. 10 - Father to Son
Sept. 24 - My Gold Mine
Oct. 8 - Jester Fool
Oct. 22 - Raven and Scarecrow
Nov. 5 - The Love Remains
Nov. 19 - Worn Out Pretension
Dec. 3 - Lonely Man

Wendy, DanaJ, Susan - I really appreciate you gals saying you'll try to participate more. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:20 pm

I'm pretty sure that just because a song's week is over we can still discuss it!

I know I am still working my God's Promise post in my brain.

I am looking forward to discovering the older songs.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:27 pm

Bonnie,

You're absolutely correct! The Song of the Week/Fortnight thread isn't ever closed! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

JennyLevE

Mhm

Postby JennyLevE » Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:54 pm

I know that I have been away from the board for a little while now. Life has been rather busy for me with my senior trip and graduation and getting ready for college and my summer job etc. However, I will be around over the summer and hope to have more time for the board.

SOTW has been one of my favorite parts of the board. I will really miss it.

I love the idea of starting at the beginning and posting a little less frequently (at least over the summer -- when people are more likely to be out of town and such.)

Hope that all is well with everyone and that you are all enjoying the start of summer.

--Jen
“Tell me which part
Is it the CASTLE, or the SAND
That you miss when the TIDE comes along?”
-- Ellis Paul

Return to “Breakin' Through the Radio”