Ellis Paul Setlists

Post messages about Ellis Paul's music, CDs, lyrics, etc. here.

Moderator: Moderator

bonuela

Ellis Paul Setlists

Postby bonuela » Fri Sep 01, 2006 11:34 am

Is there anyone out there who maintains a database of songs and or shows that Ellis has played?

I was over on www.prettytheworld.com which is a site for Matt Nathanson's stats and it made me wonder about Ellis.
I let my music take me where my heart wants to go. ~ Cat Stevens

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:43 pm

Bonnie,

I only keep the setlists for the shows I attend and have them in a simple Word document. (I'm probably 10 shows behind as far as getting them typed.) :(

A few years ago there was a fella who posted on the board saying he was going to developed an Ellis Paul Setlists web site and he asked for folks to send him any setlists from shows that they had kept. I sent him what I had at that point. A few other persons also sent him setlists and he put everything he collected into a web site, but it wasn't by any means complete. I remember that trying to navigate the web site was pretty frustrating. The last time I looked there (it's probably been 2 or 3 years), it didn't seem like it was being maintained. It's a huge undertaking....and a life-long commitment.

I don't of anyone else who has attempted to document EP setlists.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Sep 01, 2006 12:47 pm

Is there a place for that here? We often get setlists, not always, but often...does it make sense to have a thread with just show dates and set lists? If that was done, and someone missed something, you could shoot them a pm so they could edit it...

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."
Taylor Mali, "Like, You Know?"

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Sep 01, 2006 1:50 pm

That's a great idea Sue Ellen!

That site for Matt is insane. The guy who maintains it is some kind of computer genius. You can click to add a show that you've seen, and it creates a personal database. I can tell you what songs I've seen live and how many times. :shock:

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:58 pm

Matt's site looked pretty sophisticated to me. Sounds like a project for someone who has lots of spare time....and that sure isn't me! :) Between the time I spend here on the board, maintaining the Ellis Paul Archives web site, working full-time, maintaining a house and, oh yeah, trying to have a life, I'm stretched pretty thin. ;) Not that I'm complaining. Beats sitting around twiddling my thumbs. :D Maybe there's a volunteer lurking out there somewhere. ;)

OK....heading to my easy chair to curl up with a cup of coffee and my copy of Into the Wild. I'm making pretty good progress. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Sep 01, 2006 10:05 pm

I was not suggesting you, or I should undertake it. I was just hoping someone else already had. :D

Wouldn't it be nice if every artist had one of those?

When I heard that Ellis sang Words the other night I thought. "Hmm, I've never heard that live.....Or have I?" Of course I can't trust my own mempry anymore! :P

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sat Sep 02, 2006 6:54 am

Bonnie,

I know you weren't suggesting I do it. :) I was replying to Sue Ellen's comments asking if there was a place for it here....which I think there is. :)

KarenZ

shari

Set lists?

Postby shari » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:11 pm

Hi All,

If there really is interest in a web based database of set lists, I am a database administrator by day and an Ellis addict by night. I'd be willing to work at getting something real going....

I'd be happy to work on such a thing if there truly is interest, it would mix many of my loves: databases (which are a thing of beauty to some of us), design, music, Ellis in specific and people in general. It would also be a good learning opportunity for me.

If you would make use of such a thing let me know! :-)

Shari

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Sep 05, 2006 1:25 pm

Shari,

I think it's a wonderful idea and a generous offer! I'd be willing to take notes at shows and supply setlists. Any others willing to help with this project? :)

KarenZ

2bluesboys

Postby 2bluesboys » Tue Sep 05, 2006 3:16 pm

That is a really nice offer, Shari (and a great idea Bounuela and Sue Ellen).

I'd be willing to take notes at any shows I attend. So far, that amounts to only a few a year :cry: I have a feeling more folks would make list if they knew that the setlist would be saved.

Barbara

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Thu Sep 07, 2006 12:41 pm

That is a great offer Shari; there are already some set lists posted here. How else can we help out? And, could it be part of this board? That would be convenient; I know we post in three thousand miles, lots of comments, and often a set-list. A separate place for set-lists would be nice.

Sue Ellen
"...I implore you, I entreat you, I challenge you to speak with conviction, to say what you believe, in a manner that bespeaks the determination with which you believe it, because contrary to the wisdom of the bumper sticker, it is not enough these days to "question" authority, you have to speak with it, too."

shari

Postby shari » Thu Sep 07, 2006 7:09 pm

It seems there is interest, so I'd like to get going. :-)

I am not sure about it being hosted on ellispaul.com. That is not entirely up to me and I think it would be safer in the short run to house it elsewhere and maybe have a link to it from here if that is acceptable (I will mimic the look of this website so it will fit in) and then maybe integrate it for real later when it is stable and we have permission (anyone know who to ask?).

I will put it on one of my domains for now.

I'd like to start small and go in phases....so static web pages (searchable) first and we can get automagic and fancy about it as we go.

I'll post something when there is a prototype to look at...

One way that you can help me initially is to tell me what you want on the site. What infomation do you want to look up? When we gain the ability to report statistics on shows what kind of information are you interested in? How many times Ellis has played Sweet Mistakes on a Monday night in Idaho during the year 2003? :-)Who Ellis covers the most?
This will be fun!

I may ask for a few volunteers to help with testing and give me feedback on organization.

Shari

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Sep 08, 2006 8:13 am

Primarily, besides the actual setlist, I'd want to have date of show, location (city), venue, and name of opening act. Secondarily, it would be nice to have things noted like "first public performance of [insert song title]" or "unplugged" or "dedicated to [insert name]". Stuff like that. Not sure what kind of statistics could be reported since the database will never come close to being complete, but even a partial record will be better than nothing. :)

KarenZ

shari

Postby shari » Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:45 pm

What would you guys suggest that I do when song is listed with title variations.... Jester Fool - Just the Jester Fool? Which way?

Also would you count poems? I'd think so...

What about Stories? The ones that make it onto CDs? I am inclined to only track songs and poems...

Lastly, what do you think about collecting information on the story behind a song or poem.... if people can report what they've heard Ellis say about where a song came from? I'd like to leave space for that.

Lemme know your thoughts... things are taking shape.

:-)

Shari

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 11, 2006 5:59 am

Shari,

It makes sense for titles to be consistent....and however they appear on the CDs is the way to go. "Just the Jester Fool" in this case.

I'd track only songs and poems too.

Comments wouldn't be required....but could be an added bonus if folks had some story or whatever they wanted to share.

KarenZ

shari

Postby shari » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:07 am

Karen,

But that's what I am saying. On Say Something it's titled "Just the Jester Fool" but on Urban Legends it's "Just Fool"...

Was not sure which to go with... and also not sure how much it matters in terms of people trying to enter the wrong thing on searches.

I am 99.99% sure that it's the same song on both CDs...

Thanks!

Shari

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Mon Sep 11, 2006 9:23 am

Shari,

I thought that's why you were asking. The title was printed incorrectly on Urban Folksongs. The true song title is "just the jester fool". (Yes, it *is* the same song.) There are actually more than one glitch/typo on the two old re-releases. Another one is that "urban girlfriend" is listed as "urban girl". Hope that helps.

KarenZ

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:19 am

Shari and all, wondering how we might come across a setlist for a show that noone has posted a word on otherwise, like Sisters Fest in Oregon.

Any ideas?
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Sun Sep 17, 2006 12:41 am

Shari,

I just poste tonight's set list, and probably have a couple more in my files here. Send me an email address if you would like the text files shipped your way. And let me know if there is something I can do to help out.
Jeff

shari

Postby shari » Sun Sep 17, 2006 10:59 am

Hi!

First of all I just want to say how happy I am to be working on this with you folks! :-) !!! I am really excited by the work that we've done so far and I am looking forward to sharing it with you all.

I thought it might be time for a little progress report:

The vision right now is a 3 phase deployment:

1) Mostly static HTML with a page to submit shows.

2) Followed by the above plus PHP pages that push out some of the information that we've collected (hopefully in interesting ways)

3) Followed by the above plus more interactive features such as the ability to keep track of what shows you've seen and how many times you've seen particular songs played.

We are also kicking around putting up pages where you can do some investigative work on Ellis' lyrics, like how often he uses certain words. Another thought was to have an area where people could upload photos that they've taken at shows that could be integrated into the site somehow.

Please share your ideas as we go... :-)

It's a bit ambitious and is being done in my spare time so please be patient with me. :-) I expect to have a beta of phase one available fairly shortly (possibly within a week or two), the new domain is being registered right after I click "submit" here.

As far as how we get information on shows that no one the epdb has attended, I'll have to give that some thought. Karen? Any ideas?

THANKS!!!

Shari

PS: Is everyone enjoying the GORGEOUS weather? I am planning to put out my hammock and re-read "Into the Wild"... oh but that's a different thread...

shari

Postby shari » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:00 am

PS: Thanks for posting Antje's set too!!! (If this works out, I think a similar site for her is on its way....) It is very convenient having my two favorite artists playing together like this. :-)

shari

Postby shari » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:09 pm

Tah Dah.... the new domain is registered and the splash page is up.

NOTHING works yet! Absolutely nothing....yet....

I hope to have a first version of the submission page active for you all very shortly. In the meantime feel free to take a peek at:

http://ellispaul.setlistarchives.org

That is the official home...

If you get an error, it may be because the domain name may take up to 72 hours to propogate accross the web so try again in a day or so. If by Wednesday there is anyone who cannot reach the site, please let me know.

Round one is just making sure that people can connect.

Thanks!

Shari

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:13 pm

Wow. The Home Page alone is beautiful. Thank you so much for taking this on...it looks like alot of work!!

Sue Ellen

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:23 pm

Shari,

I think submitting setlists of shows that we do attend is a lofty enough goal at this point in time. As it is, it will probably take me months to submit the setlists that I have. :)

Love the looks of the website. You go girl! :)

KarenZ

shari wrote:As far as how we get information on shows that no one the epdb has attended, I'll have to give that some thought. Karen? Any ideas?

shari

Postby shari » Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:38 pm

Thanks Sue Ellen... :-)

Karen, I think I've got enough to work on... :-)

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Sep 17, 2006 11:21 pm

Look great!! Thanks for all of your hard work. :D

2bluesboys

Postby 2bluesboys » Mon Sep 18, 2006 1:02 am

Shari:
:D
It looks wonderful!! You are amazing!!

Barbara

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:11 am

Shari - this looks wonderful and just love the photo you have chosen for the home page.

Jela

shari

Postby shari » Tue Sep 19, 2006 6:34 am

Thanks everyone for the kind words...they mean alot and make it a pleasure to work on this. :-)

Credit for the photo goes to Melissa Bugg. I'd like to spend a day seeing out of her eyes. I saw that photo and I could hear music and feel my own feet wanting to tap away. She's been very kind and allowed me to use several of her photographs on the site.

I do believe that round one will be published within a week...we're getting really close.

Shari

wendy

Postby wendy » Tue Sep 19, 2006 7:23 am

Wow, I'd missed this the first time through.
That's a great looking start to the site, Shari! It makes me WANT to go in and explore further!
-wendy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Sat Sep 23, 2006 11:57 am

All is well.....All is well.......All except for the Town Crier ~ by ellispaul

Be great if we could come up with a way to somehow ascertain a setlist from Ellis' show last night at the Town Crier in Pawling, New York.

Oh well.
paddy

shari

Round 1 ... :-)

Postby shari » Fri Sep 29, 2006 7:38 am

Hi Everybody...

The "Ellis Paul Setlist Project" is official. You can access the site at:

http://ellispaul.setlistarchives.org

Currently, you can submit shows, look up the lists of songs, poems and covers and you can send me e-mail! :-)

The next round will include being able to look-up shows. That will be a few weeks out though.

Thanks for all of the support. This has been alot of fun so far and I've learned alot too.

If you find any problems with the site or have any suggestions, please do e-mail or private message me and let know...

Have a great Friday!

Shari[/i]

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:11 am

Shari,

It is simply knock-my-socks-off fabulous. :)

Karenz

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:12 am

Shari - fantastic site! You've worked really hard to get this up and running so promptly following the initial suggestion and I'm sure that it will quickly become a very valuable resource for all EP Devotees

Thanks so much for devoting so much of your time freely to this project.

Jela

Sue Ellen

Postby Sue Ellen » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:18 am

That is absolutely amazing. I am very impressed, excited, and grateful.

Sue Ellen

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:53 am

Shari,

Great job!

I feel like such a proud Auntie!! :mrgreen:

I can't wait for people to start submitting!!

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:47 am

This is SO COOL, Shari!
Great design, great look, and it is going to be FUN to use!
Thank you, thank you, thank you for all your wonderful hard work! :!:
-wendy

shari

Update and request for a volunteer.

Postby shari » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:01 pm

Hi Everyone!

Thanks for the positive feedback. :-) I am actively working on round two which will include the setlists being available by year. There is also a page listing each venue that I am aware of through the setlists that have been entered and how many times Ellis has played at each.

Please do let me know know how you would like to see the data presented. I will do my best. I am hoping to get round two published within a few weeks, but this may take a bit longer than round one did.

I am looking for a volunteer to sift through the discussion board, find historical setlists and post them to the setlist project site. That way I would get the information in a format that could be uploaded easily.

Let me know if you are willing to take this on. It would be a great help.

I hope that everyone is well.

Shari

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Sun Oct 01, 2006 10:27 pm

I already tried to do that. Unfortunately most of them were wiped out with the old board. :(

shari

Setlist Website Update

Postby shari » Sat Oct 07, 2006 10:35 pm

Hi Everyone,

I thought it was time for an update. At some point over this weekend, I will be loading the live database with some of the information that has been contributed. Many of the "show" links will become active.

This next round will allow you to see what shows Ellis has played where. The actual setlists part will take another couple of weeks, please bear with me...

So....if you notice that you can't get to the site at some point this weekend, it's because I am loading the new information and pages up to the live site.

Thanks!

Shari

shari

Website Update Continued

Postby shari » Sat Oct 07, 2006 11:49 pm

OK....the live site now has shows by venue, by state and by year. Only the general show information just yet. I am going to work on the page to display the show detail and that layer will be available soon!

Thanks for bearing with me while I develop the site. I will roll things out as they become available.

Thanks!!!

Shari

shari

Update

Postby shari » Sun Oct 08, 2006 4:55 pm

Hi Everyone!

Wow!!! I am thrilled to say that people are asking when the detail behind the show pages will be available. I am THRILLED that people are asking because that means that the site is interesting and that makes me really happy.

Please be patient with me. I am *hoping* to kick out at least the song detail page (programming) within the week, but it will take some time to get the data loaded. For reference, I have more than 150 shows to enter. :-) plus the programming. It is really exciting to have this much depth to start with but it is quite a task.

I will start with more recent shows and work my way backward....that seems to make sense to me. So once the programming is done, I will commit to keeping up with recent shows and work my way backward as I can.

Also, If you notice something wrong on the site PLEASE do let me know. I feel blind at times these days and unable to see what I am typing anymore.

Thanks for the interest and support!

Shari

shari

Hey! There's data in that database...

Postby shari » Tue Oct 10, 2006 6:01 am

Hi Everyone.

At long last, setlists are beginning to appear on the setlist project pages. Only a few so far in 2006, but my commitment now is to keep up with new shows and enter old ones over time. We have quite a stock of old shows going back to 1997! (Thank you Karen!) so our initial content will be very good!

As data is loaded the links will automatically become active on the show pages, so keep checking. New features, additional data and alternate means of digging into the data will also become active over time. I'll continue to post announcements here.

Thanks for your support!!!

Shari

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:44 am

Shari,

Wow.....it's TERRIFIC! Looking forward to seeing how this project progresses! Thanks again for all the time and talent this is taking on your end! :D

By the way folks, I'm happy to report that the Setlists Project website is linked on the web site under Ellis Recommends --> Music Resources:

Music Resources

KarenZ

shari

Setlist redux...

Postby shari » Sun Oct 15, 2006 1:42 pm

Hi Everyone,

1997, 1998 are complete in terms of the data that I have and 2006 is getting there! We've added performers and comments to the mix as well as adding a bit more detail to the setlists themselves.

And...we have a totally new page that will tell you what artists have played with Ellis and in what capacity over time.... eventually you will be able to link from the performer page to all of the shows that performer participated in.

Fun! And more to come...

Shari

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:49 pm

Shari,

Everything looks great! What terrific progress! :)

KarenZ

shari

Now with pictures!

Postby shari » Tue Oct 17, 2006 6:27 pm

Hi Again,

I wanted to let everyone know that I've added the ability to display one picture per show, so if you have pictures from a show, please e-mail them to thegroupie@setlistarchives.org. Please include details about which show the picture is from when you send it.

I will add this notice to the submission page as well. Eventually, there will be a direct upload feature, but until then, please send them to me.

Check out the 10/15 show -- it's the first one with a picture attached.

Thanks!

Shari

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:51 am

Shari, I just thought of something as it relates to The Setlist Project.

Let's say 2 to 3 people in the audience of an Ellis Paul show are aware of the Setlists Project and go out there to post the setlist and comments.

Inevitably one will be first. The other two attendees might see that the setlist has been posted, and then think it redundant to post the setlist a second time. And not bother. The loss there for the rest of us is of course, the comments they might have been prepared to add.

Is there possibly a way to encourage folks who arrive there, see a setlist already posted for the show, to still ADD their additional comments and takes on certain aspects of the show?

Just wondering. :)
paddy

bonuela

Postby bonuela » Thu Oct 26, 2006 2:27 pm

I don't speak for Shari, but my feeling is that this is the place for discussions and stories about shows. The Setlist project seems to be a listing of what was sung, where, and with whom. This is where we get to share all the minutae (sp?) what shirt did he wear? Was he barefoot? Did someone shout something funny from the audience?

With the links that Shari is putting in between the two sites, it should be effortless to move back and forth! :D

shari

Postby shari » Thu Oct 26, 2006 4:57 pm

Paddy,

Thanks for the suggestion, here is how I see it working (hopefully I will make sense here):

Bonnie is on the mark in that I do not plan for the setlist site to replace the discussion board. My thought was that I would post whatever setlists and stories are submitted to the setlist site. (I would like to capture the essence of a show on the setlist site.) However, there will be no facility for ongoing back and forth between people.

I do plan to add the link to the discussion board site to the setlist page and I will add links to discussion board threads to the setlsit site, so people should be able to move back and forth pretty seamlessly - at least that's the idea. We'll see how it turns out in practice!

If someone posts a setlist with a story and no thread gets opened on the discussion board, I will open the thread and post the link to the setlist site so that people can see what's been posted.

I hope that helps.

Shari

Return to “Breakin' Through the Radio”