Ellis Paul Setlists

Post messages about Ellis Paul's music, CDs, lyrics, etc. here.

Moderator: Moderator

wendy

Postby wendy » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:28 am

Shari, you are amazing. :shock:
That sounds like a well-thought-out, functional and FUN way for these sites to interact!
Thanks so much for all the wonderful work you've put into this!
-wendy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:00 am

Folks,

Here's how I think about the Setlist Project....and how I differentiate it from the discussion board. First of all, by defintion, the discussion board is for discussion...which is an interactive back and forth activity between people.

The Setlist Project is more a one-way activity. People submit setlists. In my head "setlists" translates to songs. I see the Setlists Project as being everything you ever wanted to know about a song. Where it was played (venue, city). How many times it was played. With whom it was played. Interesting tidbits of information about its performance (i.e. change of lyrics, unplugged, etc.) Eventually it will also give us the capability to pull out statistics for ourselves.....which is going to be really awesome. But....even more than all that is what it will become over time as it continues to grow.....a repository documenting Ellis Paul songs played during specific shows. Yes, submissions can include comments, but it's not really a review of the show.

Also important to remember is that it provides a way for folks who don't care to belong to the discussion board (for whatever reasons) to participate in another way.

Anyway, that's how I distinguish the two. And I thank Shari for getting it going and making it so easy for us! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

shari

Postby shari » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:44 am

Karen,

I could not have said it better myself (and in fact I didn't!) that's exactly how I think of it.

:-)

Shari

shari

Postby shari » Fri Oct 27, 2006 9:45 am

Wendy,

Thanks for the kind words!

:-)

Shari

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Karen...well said.

Great, great job on this site Shari. :D

I once wondered myself if this might "change" the way we post on shows here on the DB.

No longer. :D

Only wanted to suggest that some folks might not bother adding comments on the new setlists site, if when they arrived, another audience member had gotten there first, and entered the setlist and comments.

Just a thought that if Shari could somehow "tweak" the site to encourage folks who arrive there after the first setlist poster.....to post their individual comments on a song or the night overall. I was speaking about the folks who are likely to not post on our forum here. Just to make it easier for them to add "additional comments".
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

shari

Postby shari » Fri Oct 27, 2006 5:20 pm

Hi Everyone....

By popular demand, I pushed the linking feature to the top of the heap and each show now has either a link to it's own specific thread on the db OR it suggests that the viewer might consider posting a thread and points them to the general db URL...

I updated the September and October shows on the setlist site that had open threads on the db to their respective pages. I will keep up with new ones as they come in.

Check it out!

I am expecting this weekend (and next!) to be busy ones on the setlist site. :-) !!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Shari

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Dec 05, 2006 2:28 pm

Folks,

So....I was typing up my setlists from the last few shows...and submitted the setlist from Saturday to the Ellis Paul Setlists Project web site...and started noticing numbers. I've heard four songs more than 100 times:

In the top spot: - 146 times = "3000 Miles"
In second place: - 137 times - Two song tie
In third place: - 109 times - "Martyr's Lounge"

Anyone want to try to guess what the two songs are that I've heard 137 times? :)

It will be so great when our Setlists Project website will let us pull out this personal data! :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:17 pm

Is one of them 'Maria's Beautiful Mess' ???

Jela

Thomas

Postby Thomas » Tue Dec 05, 2006 5:41 pm

:?:

Hmm, they might be songs Ellis has been playing for a long while, so I guess the two songs are "Conversation with a ghost" and "World ain't slowing down" :? At least one of them right???

Thomas

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Dec 05, 2006 6:41 pm

Jela...you guessed correctly! :) Thomas...you also guessed correctly with "the world ain't slowing down"....but "conversation with a ghost" is an excellent guess.

You guys and gals are truly Ellis Paul Devotees. :)

KarenZ

danaj

Postby danaj » Thu Dec 14, 2006 1:12 pm

Okay, I'm a little late jumping on board on this thread, but bear with... I'm going through the discussions from beginning to end... all of them... and just got to this one. So I do the *clicky* thing and....

AMAZINGNESS!!!!!!!!! :o

The picture.... Ah, Melissa Bugg.... I *adore* her pictures, she does so many shots of things that I, personally, notice. Like feet. And hands. *le sigh*

And Shari....... *doing the "We're not Worthy" bow from Wayne's World*
This is truly a wonderful project. Thank you, thank you, thank you!
“Life has got a habit of not standing hitched. You got to ride it like you find it. You got to change with it. If a day goes by that don't change some of your old notions for new ones, that is just about like trying to milk a dead cow.” -Woody Guthrie

Return to “Breakin' Through the Radio”