Ellis Paul: The Realist and The Romantic

Post messages about Ellis Paul's music, CDs, lyrics, etc. here.

Moderator: Moderator

paddyinthepub

Ellis Paul: The Realist and The Romantic

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Nov 17, 2010 8:06 am

Listening to the new release again the other day for what must have been at least the thirty three and a third time I heard something new. I was driving down the road as I almost always do with the windows down and the music up when it hit me. The song was River Road on Ellis Paul's latest CD The Day After Everything Changed. I'm singing along and suddenly realize I recognize a lyric from another place in time. For a split second I think of Bruce Springsteen and I think to myself Rock On Ellis Paul. Many artists have given the Nod to Bob. But hangin loose with Bruce. That's original.

The Realist and The Romantic by Peter Gerstzenzang

A short few days pass and up pops the piece linked here. How I missed the Springsteen homage in River Road I will never know. Ordinarily I am on top of these kinds of things with musical heroes. Now I read that the album is full of these musical tributes scattered here and there. I had a hard time imagining that music critics would come down hard on Ellis Paul to say that he must be slipping a bit to have to lean so heavily on others words.

WHAT THE FOLK???

Are they kidding? Music is all about what came before. I will include a few quick examples that come to mind here and ask that others sight any examples they might have heard somewhere else.

George Harrison, so enamored with the newly signed to The Beatles label Apple Records young artist James Taylor that he flat lifted Something in the Way She Moves from one of James' early demos. Took me a while to hear it but when I did I said hmmn, cool. Just last night I heard He's So Fine on the radio. That's the song George Harrison borrowed to create his own song "My Sweet Lord".

Bus time....to be contd...
Last edited by paddyinthepub on Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:48 am, edited 1 time in total.
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Mtn Gal

Re: Ellis Paul: The Realist and The Romantic

Postby Mtn Gal » Wed Nov 17, 2010 9:16 am

This just shows their ignorance. It is so common for established musicians to pay homage to their mentors, heroes, idols, inspirations, etc. Case in point, Elton John is currently touring with Leon Russell, the ultimate homage-paying, IMO. There were people in the audience last night complaining that they wished there was more Elton and less Leon (Leon opened the show then joined Elton on stage to play together for many songs). If it weren't for Leon, there'd be no EJ and that's what people don't get. Well that and the fact that these musicians are at a point in their careers where they can pay homage if they want to and they don't really give a rat's behind if not everyone gets it. That's all I have to say on this topic....til I think of something else!
"Nobody can dim the light which shines from within." ~ Maya Angelou

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:43 am

Paddy,

Just catching up (was in Chicago over the weekend - more on that later!) and just saw your post.

Maybe we should try to filter out some of the other "nods" on the album. I'll admit to noticing one - or at least noticing a line that reminded me of another artist's song - and that would be a line from Kim Richey's "Those Words We Said":

"It's just me and one good wiper blade up against the rain".

I actually remember talking to EP about Kim Richey way back in 1997.....and him specifically mentioning that line....so I don't know if the line in "Rose Tattoo" is a nod or not:

"It's a rainy drive home with one good wiper."

:)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Nov 17, 2010 10:58 am

I'm game!!! :D

I am going to HAVE TO go back and listen closer. :wink:

When I heard the line one good wiper in "Rose Tattoo" I saw Ellis at wordplay there knowing full well he was a fairly new dad with young kids. I mean really, some things you just don't forget. To this day Pam and I still talk about this one incident in particular at a restaurant atop Mt. Washington in Pittsburgh. She had dinner with her mom and our son about six months old at the time. I wasn't in town. Needless to say they had to pass on dessert when the hit hit the fan and they had forgotten to pack an extra set of clothes for him just in case. Being a stay at home dad the truth in our house was that we had one good wiper, too.

:lol:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Return to “Breakin' Through the Radio”