Top Ten favorite Ellis Paul songs

Post messages about Ellis Paul's music, CDs, lyrics, etc. here.

Moderator: Moderator

deano

Top Ten favorite Ellis Paul songs

Postby deano » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:10 am

The way that Ellis' music speaks to me is so profound, it seems almost impossible that the songs I most love are not necessarily the same ones which touch others.

So I am curious: what are your top ten favorite Ellis songs?

Here is my list, with the following notes: "Conversations" will always rank as No. 1 for me, simply because it's my "first love" Ellis song, which I still consider to be one of his very best, if not THE best. As for the rest of the rankings, I have tried to place my favorites higher, but it's hard to really rank them. As for #10, it could just as easily be #9 or #11, if you catch my drift. Here goes:

1) Conversations With a Ghost
2) Friday Night
3) King of 7th Avenue
4) Trolley Car
5) Here She Is
6) If You Break Down
7) Last Call
8) Don't Breathe
9) Home
10) Lay Your Wager Down

(Oh man... then there are She Was, The Only Way, River, Rose Tatoo, etc. etc. SO many others that stir my heart and raise the hair on the back of my neck.)

My guess is that someone has already proposed this on this forum at some point, but if so, I could not find it. So please indulge me and participate! I would love to see others' lists.

Here is a photo of Ellis and me in Freeport, Maine, earlier this year. His show at Venue, with Adam Ezra, just flat KILLED!
DSCN0403.jpg

Dean Abramson
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by deano on Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

deano

Re: Top Ten?

Postby deano » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:17 am

It seems the photo does not appear online. I am techno-challenged. Maybe some kind person on the other end can fix this....?

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:33 am

Dean I have a hard time naming top tens but in the interest of playing along and without much weight here's 10 that enter my braaaaaaain for whatever reason knowing full well I will leave out some favorites all things being the same.

1 Ashes To Dust (my first)
2 Autobiography Of A Pistol (he rocks, too? :shock: )
3 Weightless (there's a woman in Nashville)
4 Paris In A Day (simply brilliant)
5 Waking Up To Me (see myself in this song :wink: )
6 Speed of Trees (decide decide decide)
7 Midnight Strikes Too Soon ( see signature below)
8 New Orleans (Pam's favorite, We think alike)
9 Independence Day ( Love when Ellis rocks)
10 Sometime Someplace (see above)

Great idea for a thread, Deano, thanks... 8)
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Wed Oct 20, 2010 10:34 am

Deano you have to be logged in to view links...
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

KarenZ
Site Admin

Re: Top Ten favorite Ellis Paul songs

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 20, 2010 1:26 pm

Dean,

The picture works fine for me too, Thanks for posting it! You both look like you are having fun! :-)

My Top Ten:

*1. Maria's Beautiful Mess

2-10 in no particular order:

If I Could Catch the Rain
She Was
Seize the Day
hurricane angel
weightless
deliver me
paper dolls
paperback man
this old car
did Galileo Pray
Martyr's lounge

That's actually my Top Twelve, I guess. ;-)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

deano

Postby deano » Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:14 pm

This is fascinating. I share no Top Tens with either of you! I am flabbergasted that Conversations is not in either of your lists. I just assumed that it would be on everyone's. Wrong.

It is really interesting how the same artist can touch people so many different ways.

By the way, Weightless could easily have made my list too.

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Wed Oct 20, 2010 6:19 pm

Dean,

Last Call could have easily made my Top Ten list....as well as Trolley Car and Conversation with a Ghost. Who am I kidding? They are ALL my favorites! :-)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

deano

Postby deano » Wed Oct 20, 2010 7:20 pm

And you and Paddy only share one in the top ten. Three people list top tens, and we get 29 different songs! Amazing.

Ellis has written so many great songs. It's unreal.

Return to “Breakin' Through the Radio”