Fan Fundraisers' outtakes CD

Post messages about Ellis Paul's music, CDs, lyrics, etc. here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Fan Fundraisers' outtakes CD

Postby KarenZ » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:46 am

Folks,

Those of you who participated in the fan-fundraiser for The Day After Everything Changed should have received the outtakes CD in the mail within the last few days. I know the CD made its way across the pond and arrived there yesterday - as spies have reported. ;-)

The CD is a perfect example of what would expect on an outtakes CD.....and I love it! :-)

Here's my summary:

Brand-new untitled song: NICE
Song that didn't make the cut ("if I could catch the rain"): VERY nice
Alternate versions of "river road": AWESOME
Kristian Bush on all 3 verses of "paper dolls": YAY!
Ellis' voice unadorned: EXQUISITE
"Like a song I'd like to crank you": PRICELESS

:lol: :twisted: :lol:

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

PotatoPicker

Re: Fan Fundraisers' outtakes CD

Postby PotatoPicker » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:33 pm

I need to check my mail !

I find the "Like a song I'd like to crank you" an interesting alternative, and can understand how one might have become attached to it - but objectively - do you think it fits the song better lyrically ? Though I do like having access to it as an alternative.....
Jeff

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Thu Aug 05, 2010 8:59 am

Jeff,

Yay! A discussion! :)

I don't know if the line fits the song better lyrically.....I just think it's very clever. When I first heard the line, the interpretation I made took me back in time to when I was a young teen with her first 8-transistor (Yep....count 'em! 8!) radio.....and how I would sit with it glued to my ear. When one of my favorite songs would come on, I couldn't get enough of it....and I would crank it up. The louder the better. So that line to me is saying that the guy in the song can't get enough of the girl. But, I can see where some might hear that line and put a bit of a crude spin on "crank".....so maybe the revised line is better for that reason. I still think "Like a song I'd like to crank you" is very clever. :)

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:34 am

I always remember a group of us sitting around in the evening as EP played an early version of this song, after we'd all been to see him perform on a radio show in Washington, DC. earlier that day.

I recall that he asked the room which version we preferred with 'crank' or with the alternative and I said that I preferred the alternative as I thought it was softer.

I think he made the right choice, 'crank' is too harsh and does have other connotations associated with it which I think would have detracted from the song.

Jela

PotatoPicker

Postby PotatoPicker » Fri Aug 06, 2010 12:36 am

Karen after hearing you talk about your transistor radio - I can appreciate your thoughts on the line more. I still don't think it fits quite as well, but I do agree it has a special feel on its own, and I can understand how attached you are to it.

You have taken me back to memories of my first transistor radio - the first one that was mine anyway - a replica Sunoco Gas Pump with an earpiece that I would crawl under the covers and listen to Red Sox and Celtic games and news and music. It was on that radio I listened to the Sox in the 67 World Series during the day, and listened to reports of the Apollo 1 tragedy, and heard for the first time artists like Pete Seeger and Peter, Paul, and Mary and the Beatles. I loved that little radio.
Jeff

Patti

Postby Patti » Sun Aug 08, 2010 11:01 pm

I am enjoying the outtake CD very much.. 2 new songs was sweet surprise... I hope Kiss Me Crazy gets the bridge it needs and finds it way onto the next CD.... I think of it as kind of a sequel to Rose Tattoo 8)
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

Return to “Breakin' Through the Radio”