Song of the Week - Heaven is Where You Are - Mar. 1, 2010

Post messages about Ellis Paul's music, CDs, lyrics, etc. here.

Moderator: Moderator

KarenZ
Site Admin

Song of the Week - Heaven is Where You Are - Mar. 1, 2010

Postby KarenZ » Mon Mar 01, 2010 11:58 am

Folks,

I was fortunate to be in the audience for several shows in Oklahoma over the weekend of Oct. 3-5, 2008. Ellis performed the brand-new "Heaven is Where You Are" for the first time at the All Soul's Coffeehouse in Tulsa on Oct. 3. BeckyG and I were together in the audience and after hearing the song - which EP performs on piano - we both said that the song sounded really happy and upbeat. Later we told EP that we liked the new "happy" song. :) The following night when EP performed the song again at The Depot in Norman, OK. he shared with the audience that although Karen and Becky thought the song was a happy song - it was, in fact, a song about someone who wants to kill themself. It was a pretty funny moment......and it got even funnier as the song progressed as you'll see in this video:

Ellis Paul performing "Heaven is Where You Are"

It's a song that will always hold special memories for me....

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

Patti

Re: Song of the Week - Heaven is Where You Are - Mar. 1, 2010

Postby Patti » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:53 pm

Well that is a great video to share Karen. Love the lighting at the venue.
Funny to hear your story too, because it helps me understand and enjoy the song more. I have to say of all the songs on the CD this is my least favorite, but knowing the story behind the story always helps me listen with new interest. Coincidentally he played this song last night at WUMB members concert and Flynn sang along with him. The song just keeps getting better for me. :wink:

Here is link to facebook listing of the same song.

http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=h#! ... 891&ref=mf
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

KarenZ
Site Admin

Postby KarenZ » Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:16 am

I don't do Facebook.....and I'm wondering if you all think the discussion board has outlived its usefullness? I truly believe that the board is a more valuable resource because of all the archived content. The #1 hit of many, many Google searches is the discussion board.....and when I look at overall website statistics, most activity - entry/exit pages - is the discussion board....so I know lots of folks are reading even if they aren't posting. Facebook doesn't do/have that. But.....there seems to be a shift away from the board and I'm just wondering why that is.

KarenZ
"Some people are born to make great art and others are born to appreciate it. It is a kind of talent in itself, to be an audience, whether you are the spectator in the gallery or you are listening to the voice of the world's greatest soprano. Not everyone can be the artist. There have to be those who witness the art, who love and appreciate what they have been privileged to see." -- Ann Patchett in Bel Canto.

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Tue Mar 02, 2010 5:14 pm

Karen not sure how you feel about facebook but it is clearly the future of online presence for an artist and one the absolutle best ways to have several hundred people at once see the name ellis paul for one stop exposure. He appears there almost daily. Now, from the devotee standpoint I make our love for ellis paul known in ways you would not believe. It's massive love in short time. Now whether anyone responds to that love...well.

The db will never die. The key I think is to invite follks in. Ellis has done so on occasion. I invite with a direct link. Once in folks will find they are in a magical place of music lovers. We can only hope they hang out often. To me that's the missing link.

everyone is on facebook. it's a paradgm shift. im talkin and seeing instant live updates from all the artists we love. Boom. It's there. The db is solid. The Union is strong. Fear not.

:wink:
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

mm

Postby mm » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:23 am

Karen, This wonderful forum is still a highly valuable resource, so worry not. It is still much more highly trafficked than most other artists of the same genre. But FB is a huge central locale for many artists. Might you consider going back on to facebook and just scan quickly once a day? I think Paddy's made some valid points. I find myself stretched so thin sometimes timewise and can't do all things, but anytime I check back to the EP board, it's still so cool to see the quips, radio links, photo links, and updates, etc. Esta muy importante.

monicar

Postby monicar » Wed Mar 03, 2010 8:55 am

"Facebook is just an address, this is my home!" I took poetic license with the Home lyrics!

This place will never outlive it's usefulness, Ms. Karen.

I honestly believe that every year around this time, people tend to become more quiet and I swear it's due to the winter months, everyone gettin' the blues with the gray weather and just staying quiet. Once spring arrives and everyone wakes up from their long winter nap, I do believe it'll pick up again.

My work has definitely gotten in the way of me participating over here on a more regular basis lately, but that'll turn around at some point. I'm also someone who once I log off this thing after work, I do not turn it back on.

I love it here, always check in, but can't always post. Please don't ever think it's outlived anything!

As for the song ........ very interesting to hear what it is about. I need to relisten and think about it. It was the first song WUMB played from the CD!!!!!

Monica R.

Patti

Postby Patti » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:49 pm

Agree.. Agree.. and Agree.

This serves as a valuable resource for fans old and NEW alike. Ellis has said so, other musicians have said so. I think newer musicians really appreciate that they have a thread on this board. That means something out there. The format here is easy much more user friendly than any other. So be it busy times, grey times, quiet times it's nice to know this is here for everyone when they want it. :D
"Embrace what you have in common, celebrate what sets you apart" Ellis Paul

anneclem

Postby anneclem » Wed Mar 03, 2010 1:52 pm

As a musician, music fan, and new media enthusiast, I'll put in my 2 cents about the board.

Karen, you're right about the board being extremely searchable. That is of utmost importance these days. I actually found the board a few weeks ago when I (finally) set an alert on my own name. Your post about Rose Tattoo and your kind words about my vocals on the song triggered an alert. So I popped in to see what had been said about me.

And, WOW! I discovered a whole world of Ellis aficionados and true music lovers! Score! I was excited to find you guys and I check back regularly. I also have an alert set on Ellis' name so the message board pops up regularly within my alerts, sending new content about him; always a welcomed reminder to me to get over here and see what's happening.

Paddy is dead right about Facebook. It's the best way to attract Ellis fans and then funnel the super-fans (like us) here to the board. These days I think it's so important to have an environment that the artist really has control and input over, along with his team of trusted moderators. There must be a space which has the most up-to-date, accurate information; a trusted resource. I just don't feel like we're there with Facebook yet. For any artist.

Thank you for everything that you do here. I always enjoying reading everyone's comments and personal insight into the music of Ellis Paul.

Just showin' some love!

-Annie

paddyinthepub

Postby paddyinthepub » Mon Mar 08, 2010 8:07 am

Heaven's Wherever You Are

My lips couldn't speak
out on Marberry Street
You say you need something to live for
Out on this long winding road
if you need somewhere to go
I'll be the cab that you cry for
I wish you could wake up
at day break and see where you are
Watch the sun come shining
Your life's full of diamonds
Heaven can't be too far
It's wherever you are

Our storyteller is face to face wit a friend down on his luck, down on his or her self. It's a bit of a shock. Appearances often denote that we're all basically alright. Ya sit with someone in the wee hours, say on Marberry Street, ya get to the truth. I like that our favorite bard has leaned on Peter Gabriel (Mercy Street) Beatles (Long and Winding Road) Harry Chapin (Taxi) Beatles (Here Comes the Sun) Neil Diamond (Holly Holy)

I know this 'bout the Blues
it only prints the bad news
while ignoring the miracles
So I stand and applaud
with Buddha, Krishna, and God
cause all this beauty's hysterical

Here's a nod to older material come forward present day as Ellis seams to have the old songs to draw from. Angel in Manhatten comes to mind with the bad news and miracles. Joni Mitchell gets a nod here as well from her classic 'Blue' with "applause applause life is our cause"

So hold on to your hat
we're putting the top on back
and taking a ride out to see the bay
Ain't the sky so blue
there's nothing blocking the view
I can't think of a better way
to kick off some better days

Once were inside it's a carnival ride (hold on to your hat) as we throw the windows wide and the music up we're down a river road and it's welcome home to maine a place the writer sees as heaven. But really, it's wherever you are. Things are looking up.

Wake up Wake Up Wake Up and it's looking back at 18. Can't help but feel we're wasting time if we're not stopping once in a good while to smell the roses. The Heavenly Days. We're I running a musical cafe I might suggest pairing Heaven's Wherever You Are with this one:

Heavenly Days by Patty Griffin
"once we're inside, it's a carnival ride" ~ ellis paul
paddy

Richard + Jela

Postby Richard + Jela » Wed Mar 10, 2010 11:18 pm

I meant to post in reply to the question raised about the usefulness of the db but was so wrapped up in travel preps that I didn't get a chance but now that I am chillaxing in TX I'll add my thoughts:

I think that this db is one of the best out there and many musicians would love to have the support of such a community as this. I know from comments made to me face-to-face that there are a lot of EP fans who do not post themselves but do enjoy reading the info shared on these threads.

I started to post on here after going to the Passim shows at New Year 2004; I didn't know anyone else here but just look at the friendships made since and it is purely due to the exchanges on here. As a result, Karen and Norma came to the UK when Ellis toured in May 2006 and we spent time with them. Richard and I went to the NYE 2006 shows when Karen and Becky, over breakfast at Irving House persuaded us to come to WoodyFest 2007 which we did and that led to me starting to write for Maverick magazine (with Richard's accompanying photos).

Patti arranged House Concerts in 2009 and 2010 around our travels plans. We stayed overnight in 2009 with Patti's family and she drove us and Karen to Boston airport the next day.

Bonnie and Susan ferried us to Portland, ME for an Ellis show Dec 2008, and to Patti's in Jan 2010.

The Irving House get togethers on 29th Dec have become a tradition and a lovely opportunity to connect with Sue Ellen, Patti, the Monicas, Lyn, Bonnie, Susan, Jimmy, Dean, Elaine and others.

None of this would have happened if it wasn't for the db. There are lots of other great examples, too many to mention so as you might imagine I have a lot of affection for the db and would not want it to 'cease to be'

Karen does a great job, the db has integrity and you can't say that about all similar sites.

So how could it be improved??? Well......

I do wish that we had more contributors, it's lovely hearing from people who have been to shows (I have to live vicariously). There is a regular core and I hope that we aren't seen as a clique which prevents others from joining in. I'd like to think that everyone who joins is made welcome.

I'd like to see some regular input from Ellis himself. When we did the book group he participated and that was great. The musings on the blog have been so interesting to read. However, the questions in the 'Clarity' forum don't get his attention and I do wonder if that particular one has therefore got past its 'sell by date'. If he can't commit to responding then maybe it shouldn't be there. It raises expectations and often from new posters who perhaps get discouraged from making any further contributions.

It seems that Facebook sometimes takes precedence with announcements - I think the first port of call re shows, interviews etc should be the website. Ellis and I are FB friends so I don't miss out but others do.

I've gone on at length, so I'll end now. Any responses, agreeing or disagreeing are welcome.

Jela

Return to “Breakin' Through the Radio”